Author Topic: Seems like an ephedrine-related death  (Read 6450 times)

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
Seems like an ephedrine-related death
« on: December 01, 2007, 02:53:23 AM »
I wasn't on this forum much and probably wont be until Monday...one of my friends passed away today from a heart attack, so this evening I was with other mutual friends just talking about him, and the funeral is tomorrow. 

Something people here might be interested in - the death was likely from ephedrine.  He was only 31, had some extra weight but by no means obese (he was about 20% bodyfat) and did not have high cholesterol levels of a history of heart problems in the family.  He was taking ephedrine to lose bodyfat, and then he got some prescription anti-biotics for some type of illness, and he did not know that that specific antibiotic is very dangerous to take with ephedrine.  It can cause a random heart attack in any healthy young person.  I dont have much background on it, but a lot of our mutual friends are doctors and that seems to be their consensus.  The parents did not want an autopsy which would obvioulsy be the only way to exactly confirm the cause.

He was not one of my closest friends but was someone I would hang out with once ever 2-3 months.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: Seems like an ephedrine-related death
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 02:56:36 AM »
31, damn thats young..RIP

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 02:57:44 AM »
I wasn't on this forum much and probably wont be until Monday...one of my friends passed away today from a heart attack, so this evening I was with other mutual friends just talking about him, and the funeral is tomorrow. 

Something people here might be interested in - the death was likely from ephedrine.  He was only 31, had some extra weight but by no means obese (he was about 20% bodyfat) and did not have high cholesterol levels of a history of heart problems in the family.  He was taking ephedrine to lose bodyfat, and then he got some prescription anti-biotics for some type of illness, and he did not know that that specific antibiotic is very dangerous to take with ephedrine.  It can cause a random heart attack in any healthy young person.  I dont have much background on it, but a lot of our mutual friends are doctors and that seems to be their consensus.  The parents did not want an autopsy which would obvioulsy be the only way to exactly confirm the cause.

He was not one of my closest friends but was someone I would hang out with once ever 2-3 months.

Sorry to hear that bigbobs.... :(

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 02:59:27 AM »
wow that sucks.  What antibiotic was this?

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 03:08:36 AM »
Sorry to hear that.

That shows what i always preach on the nutrition board.

NEVER take anything you haven't researched enough.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 03:09:54 AM »
Thanks for the condolences.

The main reason I'm sharing this story is because of the ephedrine implication.  I dont recall the exact name of the anti-biotic but can find out.  Just a reminder to all of us that we should consider what we're taking whenever we get prescription meds because our docs usually dont know of any bodybuilding supplements/drugs that are being taken so they don't know to warn us.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 03:12:52 AM »
Sorry to hear that, RIP.  :-[

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:17:03 AM »
Thanks for the condolences.

The main reason I'm sharing this story is because of the ephedrine implication.  I dont recall the exact name of the anti-biotic but can find out.  Just a reminder to all of us that we should consider what we're taking whenever we get prescription meds because our docs usually dont know of any bodybuilding supplements/drugs that are being taken so they don't know to warn us.

True, it's always VERY important to be open with your doc.

They have to keep silent on everything you tell them anyways. I'm awfully sorry to say this, but this death was totally unnecessary. Just a little bit more courage from himself and a little thinking could have saved him.
Sorry.

FrenchFrie

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 03:24:24 AM »

he was obviously an idiot,  Natural selection at its finest.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 03:26:47 AM »
  damn...I just took 200 mg of ephedrine. :-\

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 03:29:31 AM »
he was obviously an idiot,  Natural selection at its finest.
lol

ephedrin is a dangerous drug to overdose. drugs that hightens hearth rate is not to mess around with, imo never to be used. but some people are just stupid. he probably didnt do much research before he used this drug...

FrenchFrie

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 03:30:20 AM »
  damn...I just took 200 mg of ephedrine. :-\
I hope you re on antibiotics currently.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 03:31:12 AM »
I hope you re on antibiotics currently.

;D  Typical getbig response... lol

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 03:35:29 AM »
Sorry about your friend, if you can put up any info aboutthe anti-B & Ephedra it would be good.

I want to point something out... Most here on GB are much younger than I. Get used to friends dieing.
It happens for no damn reason, and Ive seen it happen to the very healthy and clean living dudes too.

Enjoy your life and get what you can out of it, certainly don't take foolish risks, but I'm suspect on the
ephedra myself. Everyone wants something to blame in this kind of situation.

Unfortunately death is  the price we pay for life is the only answer often.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 03:40:14 AM »
lol

ephedrin is a dangerous drug to overdose. drugs that hightens hearth rate is not to mess around with, imo never to be used. but some people are just stupid. he probably didnt do much research before he used this drug...

Guy, this stuff is/ WAS so widly used that if it were truly dangerous there'd be not a truck driver left in the USA.

Quit looking for excuses, hope your happy with your like, because you never know when it will end.

BTY my dad is 68, appears totally healthy, (Still working construction)  smokes almost 3 packs of Pall Mall straights ed...  ::)
AND knocks down close to a liter of liquor ew.....  He's watched LOTS of clean living classmates DIE!

Pete Dimano

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 06:01:43 AM »
Let his death help others - what was the antibiotic - please find out if you can!
!

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 07:05:45 AM »
Yeah, let's just establish right off which particular antibiotic it is that can cause "a random heart attack in any person taking ephedrine," if you guys are really worried about the information in this thread.   ::)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 07:10:54 AM »
anti biotics destroy good bacteria...good bacteria is needed to sustain a healthy body and handle anything that the body takes in or acts as a buffer and assimilater

the addition of ephedrine probably had a double effect on him in this case, his stomach was empty from no 'good bacteria' from the antibiotics this is faaaaaar from natural antibiotics do more harm than good, so that ephedrine hit your friend while he was in a mutated state
A

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 07:17:29 AM »
lol

he probably was a member of the TEAM NASSER, lol

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 07:18:04 AM »
I'd say we might actually be more justified in deeming this a "antibiotic death" than an "ephedrine death."  

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 07:18:50 AM »
as i said million times in the past on this particular place getbig,,the only time we professionals DO NOT USE hormones and related products is when we are on ANTI BIOTICS due to infection abcesses ilnesses

what killed your friend was not ephedrine but anti biotics,,he mostlikley took ephedrine in the 100s of milligrams and didnt keep it low but what kiiled him via heart attack was the addition of anti biotics,

when youre sick and hurt,,no hormones should ever be taken,,when have abcess YOU GO OFF STEROIDS!

how many times do i have to say it to bunch of morons who never learn ,,no wonder you never grow
fallen angel

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 07:20:11 AM »
yes it sounds like the danger was he mixed the two

most people don't tell their doctor what they REALLY take

It's too bad
X

FrenchFrie

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 07:23:18 AM »
Yeah, let's just establish right off which particular antibiotic it is that can cause "a random heart attack in any person taking ephedrine," if you guys are really worried about the information in this thread.   ::)
thanks god i'm not the only one sensing a huge bullshit /drama /unrealistic crapy topic here...

FrenchFrie

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 07:24:41 AM »
anti biotics destroy good bacteria...good bacteria is needed to sustain a healthy body and handle anything that the body takes in or acts as a buffer and assimilater

the addition of ephedrine probably had a double effect on him in this case, his stomach was empty from no 'good bacteria' from the antibiotics this is faaaaaar from natural antibiotics do more harm than good, so that ephedrine hit your friend while he was in a mutated state
hahaha your theories are always so fucking funny, and the way you pretend having a clue about what you're talking about is even more comical.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 07:29:46 AM »
thanks god i'm not the only one sensing a huge bullshit /drama /unrealistic crapy topic here...

Yes, and I love the way he has allowed for 2-3 days of wild speculation to play out before he gets back to clarify anything.  Also, he gave absolutely no indication as to whether his friend was taking 1-3 tabs of ephedrine a day or 10-20, and he probably had some idea as to what range his friend would have fallen into; if a guy's doing 200 mg's a day you're gonna hear about it and you'd think he'd have found it relevant to mention.  The way I see it, if you're doing 50mg's of ephedrine a day for 5 years to assist your training and dieting, getting enough satisfaction from it to continue doing it that long, and then add an antibiotic to the mix and die, it wasn't the ephedrine that killed you, it was the fucking antibiotic!   ;D

You'd think a member of TEAM NASSER would like to see ephedrine avoid villification.   ;)