Author Topic: Has Tom Platz gone too far?  (Read 2141 times)

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
Has Tom Platz gone too far?
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:16:56 AM »
Has Tom Platz become too commercial?

He has a "TomEPlatz" forum where you can discuss his products and what stuff you wanna buy and bid on. It's all a sales gimmicks. He has hundreds of fans there who make him sound like a god. I respect Tom's intensity and squatting abilities more than anyone, but he seems to have gone too far, much like Lou "20 bucks" Ferrigno.

He sells training DVDs at like 120 bucks/piece. You can buy a "platzinum" membership (250 bucks/year) to receive photos of him and worn clothing I bet too, and what not.

Way to go...let history remember you as someone who capitalized on being a gentleman and legend of the sport.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
Re: Has Tom gone too far?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:12:22 AM »

He has a "TomEPlatz" forum where you can discuss his products and what stuff you wanna buy and bid on. It's all a sales gimmicks. He has hundreds of fans there who make him sound like a god. I respect Tom's intensity and squatting abilities more than anyone, but he seems to have gone too far, much like Lou "20 bucks" Ferrigno.

He sells training DVDs at like 120 bucks/piece. You can buy a "platzinum" membership (250 bucks/year) to receive photos of him and worn clothing I bet too, and what not.

Way to go...let history remember you as someone who capitalized on being a gentleman and legend of the sport.

...and wtf is wrong with that exactly???

if there's a market out there, i say good luck to him. what do you think, bbers should all just drop off the face of the earth when they retire?

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »
...and wtf is wrong with that exactly???

if there's a market out there, i say good luck to him. what do you think, bbers should all just drop off the face of the earth when they retire?

A lot of getbiggers don't seem to understand basic tenets of economics.  If people buy these useless crap, good for Tom.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 01:38:26 PM »
A lot of getbiggers don't seem to understand basic tenets of economics.  If people buy these useless crap, good for Tom.

According to that logic, then Gay4Pay would qualify as well because people are willing to pay for it.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »
According to that logic, then Gay4Pay would qualify as well because people are willing to pay for it.

It does from a basic economic or moral point of view.  That said, I would have personal problems with that because I am not a sellout.  What mentioned about Tom above should he be ashamed of?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Has Tom Platz gone too far?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 04:41:49 PM »

i'm not dumb enough to buy it but the man has every right to try and make money off stupid people if they're dumb enough to buy his shit, we're all capitalists.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 04:47:04 PM »
http://www.tomplatz.com/goldeneagle/mags.htm

"Muscular Development, Nov. 1995
With Monica Brandt [sic], who was pretty new to the scene. Back then & when I first met her before the shoot, I told Per Bernal (the photographer) she looks way too young. She looks like she could be my daughter. After she came out of makeup, I said 'oops' I was defintely wrong!"

Monica Brant = owned.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »

Selling basics 101.         If it sells................sel l it. ;)
h