Author Topic: Dips, and bench press question  (Read 2149 times)

Eupharies

• Getbig I
Dips, and bench press question
« on: December 04, 2007, 07:34:53 AM »
IS there a certain way u to do dips so it htits your lower chest as oppose to your triceps?

Also i have my own bench press at home, i have 50kg on it but, each side has 1x10kg weight, 1x5kg weight, and 5x 2kg weight. I am wondering if because the weight is spread quite far laong the barbell as oppose to the weight be much more under my arms, is it targetting my shoulders more than my chest.
When i go to the gym i put a 15kg and a 10kg weight, and find it alot hard to do than when i do it at home? Wondering if wether because the weight is mroe above my arms as oppose to spead across the bar, does it make a difference??

Thanks

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
Re: Dips, and bench press question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 07:37:42 AM »
If you wanna hit your chest more on dips, lean forward as far as you can while doing them.  Its more for upper chest though.  As far as your question regarding the bar and the distance of the weights from the center................wh o knows?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:53:04 AM »
hang weight on a belt and the added weight will automatically pull you forward and stretch your chest, next to flyes they're the most underrated chest movement.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:56:58 AM »
Yep, lean forward on the dips, but they will always hit your upper chest and front delts more, at least they do for me.

Not sure about your second question, but it seems to me that if you have your grip correct (i.e., wide enough) that it shouldn't matter how the weight is distributed on the bar.

:)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 07:59:36 AM »
maybe the bar at the gym weigh more  :D
Z

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 08:13:13 AM »
yep, as some people already said, lean foward and keep your elbows a little far from the body...when i bring then too close i feel too much my triceps....
!

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 08:23:48 AM »
Your bar at home is almost certainly a fair bit lighter.

At this stage though, you shouldn't really be worrying about isolating certain parts of the chest.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 09:13:25 AM »
If you wanna hit your chest more on dips, lean forward as far as you can while doing them.  Its more for upper chest though.  As far as your question regarding the bar and the distance of the weights from the center................wh o knows?
how can it be for upper chest if you are basically doing a decline motion when dipping?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 09:26:16 AM »
there's no such thing as "targeting a specific area", the muscle either contracts fully or it doesn't contract.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 10:55:37 AM »
there's no such thing as "targeting a specific area", the muscle either contracts fully or it doesn't contract.

sounds like that training system john little was hyping back in the early 90's...what was that called?  they had demayo and matazzaro in the adds, you used a stop watch and moved max weight only a few inches......
nasser=piece of shit

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 11:09:25 AM »
I could be wrong, but it seems hard to isolate on area of the chest. If you're on an incline the "middle" and "lower" chest are still being worked. Isolating the upper chest is not feasible.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 11:17:12 AM »
it depends how your built on how u feel them,,, no matter how i do them i get a pump in shoulders and triceps only..

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 11:17:25 AM »
I could be wrong, but it seems hard to isolate on area of the chest. If you're on an incline the "middle" and "lower" chest are still being worked. Isolating the upper chest is not feasible.

Yup and when  you are doing flat bench it's working the mid and lower pectoral.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 11:50:15 AM »
if its a "different muscle" then it can be targeted.  for example, triceps are made up of three heads, each which can be targeted...just because the name for all three is collectively "triceps" doesn't mean its not comprised of more than one muscle group.  

not sure what that is supposed to mean.  you can partially contract a muscle.  its generally considered to be not as beneficial in bodybuilding, but you can do partials on almost any movement.

partial movements not partial contractions with what SF is talking about.  he's basically saying a muscle either is contracted or it's not, there's no middle of the road...like I said earlier john little had a system out in the early 90's that exploited this theory.  I don't remember what it was called...dammit.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »
i recall browsing through some books a long while ago and i may have run across the one you are thinking of...

it was about peak contraction theory.  the idea was to hold a weight in the fully contracted position for a certain length of time.  i dont recall the name either...

i think that type of training wouldn't be very beneficial.  It might help your joints and tendons get stronger, but i doubt much growth would take place.

that came later, this one you would load up a super heavy weight and do partials only through the strongest range of motion, so preacher curls were only done using about the first 6-8 inches of the top part of the movement, you would use the stop watch to time the set..so you would go for 60 seconds doing as many partials as you could and then use an equation to figure out how hard you worked during that timeframe....

thanks but I think peak contraction is different...

I'm gonna look it up..
nasser=piece of shit

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 12:05:08 PM »
Wondering if wether because the weight is more above my arms as oppose to spead across the bar, does it make a difference??
No it does not make a difference

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 12:08:31 PM »
Focus on squeezing just your pecs during the pressing movement. this will help contract the chest but you will still be using delts and triceps no matter how you do them.

The pecs work as a unit, you cannot isolate major or minor. you can only place more stress on one or the other.

Flat bench, Incline, flyes and dips are all you need for great chest development, look at the guys from the 60's, 70's and 80's...

8)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 12:13:21 PM »
that came later, this one you would load up a super heavy weight and do partials only through the strongest range of motion, so preacher curls were only done using about the first 6-8 inches of the top part of the movement, you would use the stop watch to time the set..so you would go for 60 seconds doing as many partials as you could and then use an equation to figure out how hard you worked during that timeframe....

thanks but I think peak contraction is different...

I'm gonna look it up..

power factor?
Z

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »
power factor?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you have the book for download and if you do where can I download it?

(that's actually a set up for my favorite bluto thread of all time!)
nasser=piece of shit

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 01:22:17 PM »
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you have the book for download and if you do where can I download it?

(that's actually a set up for my favorite bluto thread of all time!)
i just saw a copy at Barnes and Noble recently, it's the John Little book with Darin Lanaghan on the cover, right?

Eupharies

• Getbig I
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »
ok cool thanks, thing is at the gym i go to, the dip machine is well, is straight therefore u cant really make your arms any wider... the to handles are maybe 50-70cm apart, will i still work my chst using this 1 or?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »
Gironda dips are the way to go.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »