Author Topic: Made in Montana - what's your relationship to Steve Reeves?  (Read 36341 times)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
Made in Montana - what's your relationship to Steve Reeves?
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:55:48 AM »
Made in Montana,

From your past posts, it sounds like you are related to Steve Reeves.  If so, what is your relation? 

Any ideas why Reeves never had kids?  Sure would be interesting to see how much of Steve's genetics his children would have had.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
Re: Made in Montana - what's your relationship to Steve Reeves?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 02:36:25 AM »
Steve's wife Aline could not have children, but the Reeves genes were passed on through other family members. Steve's cousin's son had Steve's hair, eyes and similiar frame/bone structure. He was good looking...handsome...but he did not have a physique quite like Steve's because he did not train with weights the way Steve did. The potential was there, but it was just not realized for him. But it was not his goal to attain a classic physique...which is o.k. 

Thank you for your comments about Steve in the various threads, Dan. I wish he was here...yet he lives still when we remember him. The main thing that is important to know about Steve is that he trained in a way that was balanced and healthy...and any one here can too and achieve the kind of results that will set you apart from the rest of the population in terms of having well developed muscles, symmetry, good health, attractive aesthetics and considerable strength. It's the total package that counts--and that involves not only genetics, but a good strong mind and spirit, discipline, intelligence, art and science. Instead of saying, "No pain, no gain," Steve used to say "No brain no gain"...emphasizing that intelligent training and nutrition is key. It's true.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:35:11 AM »
MM, I didnt think you were a 70 yr old man, but am definitely surprised. :o

My apologies if my comments in earlier posts were derrogatory or offensive, I did not know you were a lady. :-[

I, and Im sure others, appreciate your insight into S.Reeves' life and times.

And, regarding the genes, well, you sure have them, looking great. Takes guts to post a pic on this board, but looking the way you do, makes it easier.... ;)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 05:58:20 AM »
MiM I had a lot of respect for you, comming to the board and defending Steve as a family member. Now that I know your a beautiful woman I respect you that much more  ;D
X

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 12:22:50 AM »
Drop Dead Gorgeous  :)

Id much rather look at pics of you than of steve  ;D

Anyway thanks for all your stories

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 10:17:26 PM »
 :o Wow , you look stunning.
The Reeves good looks gene was passed along to you  :)

Do you do modeling etc

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:00:33 AM »
 :o
X

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 08:24:59 AM »
Ha Ha...  ;D  I Though you were a guy... Whoops, sorry if I was a little rude.
That 1st photo is esp awesome, and I'm not even usually crazy about blonde/blue and light skin tone..

...."My pictures wont interest anyone much..."  Ha Ha Ha...  :D
Intoxicating to men, I'm sure you've noticed that for a LONG LONG time... ;)

You must be responsible for the death of a lot of rolls of prof.  photographer's film.
Hearing damage from the sound of rewind?

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »
Thank you Trab. My mom said I looked better in person than in pictures...I send Serge pictures and talk with him on the webcam, he said I look better on webcam, so...I just figured my pictures were o.k...but no big deal...but thanks for the nice words.
I started training again...in 2 months I'll be up 7-10 lbs. I'm 5'7" 114 lbs. now. Maybe I will post a picture after several weeks and you can tell me if I look better or worse...or if I need to get fake boobs. lol.

NO!!!!! to fake boobs :)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »
Thank you Trab. My mom said I looked better in person than in pictures...I send Serge pictures and talk with him on the webcam, he said I look better on webcam, so...I just figured my pictures were o.k...but no big deal...but thanks for the nice words.
I started training again...in 2 months I'll be up 7-10 lbs. I'm 5'7" 114 lbs. now. Maybe I will post a picture after several weeks and you can tell me if I look better or worse...or if I need to get fake boobs. lol.

From what I can see from this picture, there is no need for you to get a boob job done.  Your breasts are proportional to your body.  Don't mess it up like many female bodybuilders do and get big 'ol double D's that are huge and fake.  Keep your breasts natural.  I'm sure if Steve was still alive, he would tell you the same.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 10:48:22 AM »
all makes sense now

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 03:43:45 AM »
Thanks for the chest/breast implant input, DVSGOD and Dan...you are right about what Steve said. Why knock out your teeth to go get dentures? lol. A guy friend told me fake boobs are the same as if a guy puts a sock in his speedo to try to appear larger to look sexy (not that there's anything wrong with it, but) they're obvious and can throw off balance, symmetry and proportion.
The reason fake appendages:boobs/calves/balls/penises/etc. are not mentioned as part of the classic physique program is because adding fake body parts is not necessary for good health or strength.

A lot of men still like the way women's chests looked naturally...but many female fitness models don't realize it and go get fake boobs anyway...

fake tits suck.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »
Fake boobs RUINE lots of womens looks. I don't like them.
Risk, pain.... My wife's sister has had about 3-4 ops to change or fix probs. Same w/ tummy.

Its like tats these days, more rare NOT to have them..

I can see possibly for some actors as the 1 dimensional screen view needs giant breasts to really stand out.
eg: Trish Stratus the wrestler. (btw IMO she'd be a run of the mill big-ass woman w/ out them supersize balloons)  Next compare Stacy Keeblers build, she'd look BAD w/ giant fake boobs IMO, it would destroy her looks.
Letting directors or anyone push one into decisions about their body would be something I'd rather not see for a friend.

M&M With face shots like you have and such nice lines why bother? I can see maybee with age but what can some surgeon improve on natural perfection?

I prefer a nice athletic shape over giant boobs anyday. I Love sprinters build.

I'd say skip it Montana. Looks pretty darn painfull too.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »
Thank you for your opinion and compliment, Trab. You are right...many women have complications from breast implants because the body tries to identify/break down any foreign objects/materials and filter them out. MSN reported 40% of women with implants have them redone at some point because of leakage problem. Having that happen near the lungs and heart is not without health risks. I have no desire to get fake boobs because I would feel the same as you would walking around with a banana and ping pong balls in your shorts. My mom is almost 60 and she has a large natural chest still. My dad used to call her robin red breast...so if I do a few push ups and keep a little fat, maybe I'll still look ok when I'm older.

On a related note...I learned years ago that if someone you're interested in doesn't like what you've got going on...just forget him and keep shopping (and this goes for guys too)...I was interested in this guy once who told me he liked brunettes better than blonds. So I went into town to a hair salon and asked if they could make my hair brown. It was the first time I was in a hair salon because my mom usually cuts my hair once every other year or so...Anyway...this gal turned my hair black, suggested I needed a trim and cut most of it off. When I saw my mom, she was mad and asked me what I was thinking. I said, "I don't know...that's a good question..."

When I saw the guy I was trying to impress, he laughed and said I looked better before. So I went to all that trouble for nothing. A month later, I had an inch of blond roots showing at the top. I looked like a strange bird. I didn't want to go back to the salon (and still haven't) so I cut off all my hair myself, slicked back what was left and decided to just start over and forget the hair dying trick. It's too much work and didn't look that good. The moral of the story...even if you're a small chested albino, it's a hell of a lot less trouble to stay that way than make changes that might not be for the best. I know if I had a lapst of good judgement and got roped into getting fake boobs, I'd be in the 2% that died from the operation and when I saw Steve on the other side he'd say, "What were you thinking?" and I would say, "I don't know...that's a good question..."

Everyone has a different taste for boobs, body styles, hair...etc. which is good because there's a lot of variety out there. The main thing is people should try to make healthy choices. Whatever comes natural is always best. The power of the Classic Physique is that it appeals to most men, women and children worldwide--and that universal appeal promotes and spreads the power of bodybuilding and physical culture more than anything because it is attainable for anyone to a lesser or greater degree.
Having a classic physique means focusing on the quality of every body part down to its cellular level...including it's functioning and conditioning. It's a message about health and strength first and foremost...and then aesthetics. And that's the way it should be with bodybuilding...and boobs...and everything. When it's good on the inside...all the way through...it's always classic and timeless.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 11:41:34 PM »
Whale oil beef hooked, MinM is a Sheila! Could that be part of the reason we 'clashed' in the past in this forum? Naw, it must have been my fault! ;)

I visited my mate Robert Nailon on the weekend and he has a Steve Reeves album with clipping, photos, magazine covers, etc. He even has Steve's original entry form for the 1950 NABBA Mr Universe contest.

It is interesting looking at the photos and press because he became a legend and hardly anyone else from his era is still regarded in that way. I looked at his poses and what I think happened is many of the bodybuilders came up with poses or copied those of others. Often the photographer would help them pose and I think Tony Lanza took the best shots of Steve back in 1947 on the St Lawrence River in Montreal. Tony said he waited until 5 pm in the summer to get the best light for the physique. I visited Tony in 1965 in Montreal and saw a few large negatives of Steve. I am not sure who has those negatives now. Anyway, the shot of Steve doing the ab pose with hands behind his head is perhaps the most impressive bodybuilding photo ever taken. I took a few shots of the image Robert had in his album and will duplicate it here. The legs aren't in the best position but the upper body is like a Greek statue.

There are many poses from those days that would not be considered great or even aesthetic today. Steve had such a great body that it looked good no matter what he did or the angle the photo was taken from.

AVBG

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 11:47:18 PM »
MiM, great classic pics.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 04:37:13 AM »
Here is that famous hands behind neck Lanza image. Many have followed Steve but who has been able to duplicate this classic pose? It represents the finest form that a man has achieved through bodybuilding.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 05:16:45 AM »
Visited Robert Nailon and finally had a look at his Steve Reeves album. I've known Robert since 1969 but this was the first time I saw that album. He has plenty of individual photos he keeps separate. Quite a number of images he has of Steve and others from that era. Here are a few.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »
Vince, thank you very much for everything you wrote. I appreciate you taking the time to share the scans, pictures and stories...very considerate and interesting. A lot of times people disagree on things at the forum at GetBig and might get irritated, but I know if they went out to dinner or a club to discuss things, they would have no problem getting along because it's easier to talk about things in person. Also, I understand why people question things and it's all o.k. Thanks again for sharing.

I visited my mate Robert Nailon on the weekend and he has a Steve Reeves album with clipping, photos, magazine covers, etc. He even has Steve's original entry form for the 1950 NABBA Mr Universe contest.

That's really cool. I have a copy of it somewhere. Here is his 1948 entry:

These pics are from 1950...with Reg Park.

It is interesting looking at the photos and press because he became a legend and hardly anyone else from his era is still regarded in that way. I looked at his poses and what I think happened is many of the bodybuilders came up with poses or copied those of others. Often the photographer would help them pose and I think Tony Lanza took the best shots of Steve back in 1947 on the St Lawrence River in Montreal. Tony said he waited until 5 pm in the summer to get the best light for the physique. I visited Tony in 1965 in Montreal and saw a few large negatives of Steve. I am not sure who has those negatives now. Anyway, the shot of Steve doing the ab pose with hands behind his head is perhaps the most impressive bodybuilding photo ever taken. I took a few shots of the image Robert had in his album and will duplicate it here. The legs aren't in the best position but the upper body is like a Greek statue.

There are many poses from those days that would not be considered great or even aesthetic today. Steve had such a great body that it looked good no matter what he did or the angle the photo was taken from. [/color]
Lanza took the picture below with an original Lake Michigan background when he won the Mr. America in June 1947. Steve cut himself out of one of the copies of it and put the different background standing on a mountain top behind it. lol. Steve was invited to Cecille B. DeMille's office at Paramount to discuss a film contract and when he walked into his office, he saw a blown up 2 X 3 feet copy of it on the wall next to Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Alan Ladd, Dorothy Lamour. DeMille titled it "Perfection in the Clouds." 

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
MiM, great classic pics.
AVBG, I'm glad you and some others might enjoy looking at them. That's why I post them...so people remember and think about what it was like at the beginning of the sport.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
Mr. Universe pics
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 11:52:11 PM »

1948 Mr. Universe...Steve, John Grimek and the other one

Steve on far left, Grimek on far right

Reg and Steve 1950 Mr. Universe

Steve, Miss Britain, Reg

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
Tony Lanza
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 12:02:09 AM »

Made is Hot!!!!!!!!!!!  Note to self: Start reading threads on this board more often. 

AVBG

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 10:42:03 AM »
AVBG, I'm glad you and some others might enjoy looking at them. That's why I post them...so people remember and think about what it was like at the beginning of the sport.

When seeing pics from the 50's, there's an undeniable innocence that isn't around anymore..it's a shame really..Keep 'em comming MiM!