Author Topic: Arnold jr's training update  (Read 6141 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Arnold jr's training update
« on: December 05, 2007, 08:39:39 PM »
Well, this is the women's training board...and no, contrary to popular belief of some on getbig, I am not a woman, lol! But unfortunately, Arnold jr. is not all that welcome on the other training board...wonder why, lol?

Anyway, not a "huge" point to this thread, mostly just a celebration of how fantastic training has been these past couple months...these past few wks particularly. Anyone who still doubts Dave's methods is delusional IMO...and that goes for all aspects.

So point being...I've never been this strong before (overall) and have put on very little weight when it comes to previous times of trying to gain size...this is a very good thing IMO. Right now, I still weigh 210lbs, much stronger then when I was 230+ last year...much, much stronger. On top of that, I look twice as big as I did at 20+lbs heavier...I guy I used to train with a couple years ago asked me this wk how much I weighed...I said guess....he said, 245-250? I about shit my pants...and when I told him what I weighed he made me show him, lol!

For those who care or and for those that have continued to read this far....currently I'm only eating 150g of carbs per day 4days/wk 2days/100g, and 1day/500g+...that's it, and I feel fantastic...seems this is all I need to grow.

Anyway, good things IMO. BTW, L2H, I'm not sure how close I'm going to get in our little contest, but I am getting closer and closer...gimme another 4-6wks and I may have something for you ;D

One more "BTW" at 210lbs, here's some sample lifts that for myself, I'm pretty happy with.

Dead lift: 500-6reps from the floor...I never do these anymore, but had to try it the other day...usually do them from the rack

Squat: 405-10 reps or 495-5reps...take your pic on which is better.

Incline DB: 130-8reps, 140-5reps...again, take your pic as to which is better.

Bench: never been a good bencher, not sure why. Bench this wk was after incline and I thought this was decent being that it was the 2nd lift. 315-7reps

Hope you enjoyed this instalment of the training update of Arnold jr. ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Arnold jr's training update
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:10:22 PM »
Looks good man!  Great to hear it is clicking  8) 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 09:16:14 PM »
Looks good man!  Great to hear it is clicking  8) 
Thanks bro!

Now, if I can just get the rest of my life to follow suit, then I should have something, lol!

Hey, we can't all be perfect, that's why I like to think of it as: Arnold jr., perfection in progress! hahaha, I know, gay, lol! But what can you do? ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:14:55 AM »
AJ, do you follow Dave's methods for training and diet?  If you do, I know about the diet, but what does that mean for the training? 

Congrats on making some good progress!  Looks like I am coming your way at the end of this month, so we'll have to hit it!   8)

:)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:26:45 AM »
AJ, do you follow Dave's methods for training and diet?  If you do, I know about the diet, but what does that mean for the training? 

Congrats on making some good progress!  Looks like I am coming your way at the end of this month, so we'll have to hit it!   8)

It's not HIT by any means, but it is low volume and on the lower side of rep schemes...usually stay in the 4-8 range, where as before it was 10-12. Also, a lot less pyramiding up on exercises....just straight to the working sets...very few sets usually per exercise, but multiple exercises. So you still get a fair amount of volume, although not high...I love it, but it did take some getting used to, especially physcologicly. I've always been more of going into the gym and doing as much as I could for as long as I could stand it...but you just can't do that if you're going to eat like he has you eat...the diet and training kind of go hand in hand IMO.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 05:54:09 AM »
oh, you don't have to be a female to post here.  Thanks for posting your training info here.  We want to keep this a positive place for the women.  Sorry you are having trouble on the other training board.  I started my version of my own diet program here, and have gotten some lively responses!  Just having the log here keeps me honest.  It's great. 

X

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »
I'm training with AJ tomorrow.   ;D

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 03:10:04 PM »
I'm training with AJ tomorrow.   ;D

It'll probably go down as one of the greatest moments in history!

For the rest of you...can you grasp the power of such a champion event?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 08:40:51 PM »

;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 09:01:09 PM »

This does sound like a very powerfull event.  Two of the worlds greatest training in the same gym!!  I just hope the rest of your gym is ready for such a spectacle, the weights being hoisted will be monumental I'm sure  :D

Any chance for some pics to record this historic occasion?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 10:34:47 PM »
This does sound like a very powerfull event.  Two of the worlds greatest training in the same gym!!  I just hope the rest of your gym is ready for such a spectacle, the weights being hoisted will be monumental I'm sure  :D

Any chance for some pics to record this historic occasion?

Full in depth DVD, with behind the scenes footage will be available soon.  Due to the graphic insanity, you must be at least 18 to purchase...reserve your copy now!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 06:44:10 AM »
Full in depth DVD, with behind the scenes footage will be available soon.  Due to the graphic insanity, you must be at least 18 to purchase...reserve your copy now!

Cool I will take 3.  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 08:56:13 AM »

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »
That sounds great Arnold.

What do you think about Max-OT?

i've used it for the base of my bodybuilding training for many years. as you know i cycle back and forth from westside barbell power lifting training to my own modified Max-OT every few months, just to keep things fresh.

8)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »
That sounds great Arnold.

What do you think about Max-OT?

i've used it for the base of my bodybuilding training for many years. as you know i cycle back and forth from westside barbell power lifting training to my own modified Max-OT every few months, just to keep things fresh.

8)
I've heard of Max-OT but I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of it. I am a fairly low volume guy though...at least for the last year and a half or so...wish now I'd always been.

New personal best the other day on flat bench...315lbs for 11 reps...not too bad for me IMO. No clue what I could get if I maxed since I never do, but I do know that since I did that 11 rep set my pec/delt tie in area is killing me!

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »
I've heard of Max-OT but I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of it. I am a fairly low volume guy though...at least for the last year and a half or so...wish now I'd always been.

New personal best the other day on flat bench...315lbs for 11 reps...not too bad for me IMO. No clue what I could get if I maxed since I never do, but I do know that since I did that 11 rep set my pec/delt tie in area is killing me!

That's nothing to frown about. Shit with my hand/elbow I probably couldn't do one rep. Although a couple weeks ago I did 225lbs for 5 reps of close-grip benchpress. I was impressed since I haven't gone too crazy weight wise since the end of August. However, I lost feeling in my hand for the next day after that lift so since then it's been mostly high reps for triceps/chest (those seem to be the body parts really affected).  :-\

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »
That's nothing to frown about. Shit with my hand/elbow I probably couldn't do one rep. Although a couple weeks ago I did 225lbs for 5 reps of close-grip benchpress. I was impressed since I haven't gone too crazy weight wise since the end of August. However, I lost feeling in my hand for the next day after that lift so since then it's been mostly high reps for triceps/chest (those seem to be the body parts really affected).  :-\
Yeah, I was pretty happy with that. I can remember when I first started lifting and 315 for 1 rep seemed like a far fetched dream, lol! I mean after all, when I first started out 225 for 1 rep was imposable.

On another note. I discovered a few wks ago that something was off with my squat form but I had no idea what it was...things just didn't feel right in the right places. Not like an injury was building but rather I could tell I was no longer getting the full benefit. I had a buddy of mine who I consider to be the squat master watch me squat last wk...did 2 sets...one with him watching from the front and back and another from the side. Now I'm not sure if I can even word this right but we did pin point the problem. Apparently I've started letting my knees sort of roll to the outside on the bottom part of the rep...nothing dramatic, but it was enough to make a difference. Also, over the past few months I've let my stance get a bit too wide IMO...not sumo but not where it should be.

So today was leg day...it's leg day every Wendsday. Did squats but didn't go over 225...at least not doing it right. I went up to 315 and doing the set is no problem, but the bad habit rears it's head at that weight. Anyway, did 4 sets of 225, extremely narrow...a good bit less then shoulder width. Even though the weight is what I'd call "bitch" weight for myself, the squats felt fantastic for the first time in a while. I'm sure if I get my form back to where it's supposed to be then I'll be right back to my normal weight used.

It's weird, no matter how long I lift, it seems like some bad habit always ends up developing with one lift or another after a time if I'm not carefull...I guess perfection is still a little ways off for me, lol!

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »
Wednesday is always the "heavy" leg day for me. Shit I can hardly walk right now - I went a little overboard.

Actually sometimes I'll hit legs twice a weeks. Once really hard & then once light.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 07:55:27 AM »

i've always been a low volume guy, my body won't let me do more than 14-16 sets per bodypart, i just get so worn out i have to use baby weights to do anymore than that, which is counter productive for me. low volume was the best switch i ever made and Max-OT is what got me pointed in that direction before i got into power lifting.

Max-OT is a basic low volume 4-6 rep range protocol. you choose 3-4 movements and do 1 warm up, then a "assimilation" sets of 2-3 reps and then you do 2 or 3 working sets in the 4-6 rep range. there is much more to it but that's the basics. it's a long read but i found it's a great mix of power training and body building training. there are a few links about it in the training forum. i use my own personal modified version of it and it works great, but the basic fundamentals are still there.

here's a basic Max-OT layout for your bench numbers from what i can tell.

this is assuming you are doing flat bench first in your routine that day:

135 10 reps
135 10 reps
185 3 reps
225 3 reps
275 3 reps
345 for 6 reps(positive failure) no help from spotter
365 for 4 reps(positive failure) no help from spotter

again, just a guess at what you could do, you could do much more. you want to slowly bump up the weight you use for you 4-6 rep working sets and this usually happens very quickly.

of course this can be modified to fit your strength and you can add a set if you choose but this is just a basic protocol. the theory is to do warmup sets that don't wear you down, so the assimilation sets are low rep just to let your body get used to adding the extra weight. that way all your energy is focused on the working sets without being fatigued by too many warmups.

315 for 11 is a damn good lift. with a few weeks of heavy triples and doubles you could pres 405 very quickly. but maxing out for you might not be the best idea because you seem to be doing very well with your style of training right now.

yeah my pec-delt tie in is one of my best features due to years of heavy flat benching.

you have some very impressive lifts arnold, i don't see guys putting up those weights on a regular basis.

Good luck!

8)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 10:03:06 AM »
i've always been a low volume guy, my body won't let me do more than 14-16 sets per bodypart, i just get so worn out i have to use baby weights to do anymore than that, which is counter productive for me. low volume was the best switch i ever made and Max-OT is what got me pointed in that direction before i got into power lifting.

Max-OT is a basic low volume 4-6 rep range protocol. you choose 3-4 movements and do 1 warm up, then a "assimilation" sets of 2-3 reps and then you do 2 or 3 working sets in the 4-6 rep range. there is much more to it but that's the basics. it's a long read but i found it's a great mix of power training and body building training. there are a few links about it in the training forum. i use my own personal modified version of it and it works great, but the basic fundamentals are still there.

here's a basic Max-OT layout for your bench numbers from what i can tell.

this is assuming you are doing flat bench first in your routine that day:

135 10 reps
135 10 reps
185 3 reps
225 3 reps
275 3 reps
345 for 6 reps(positive failure) no help from spotter
365 for 4 reps(positive failure) no help from spotter

again, just a guess at what you could do, you could do much more. you want to slowly bump up the weight you use for you 4-6 rep working sets and this usually happens very quickly.

of course this can be modified to fit your strength and you can add a set if you choose but this is just a basic protocol. the theory is to do warmup sets that don't wear you down, so the assimilation sets are low rep just to let your body get used to adding the extra weight. that way all your energy is focused on the working sets without being fatigued by too many warmups.

315 for 11 is a damn good lift. with a few weeks of heavy triples and doubles you could pres 405 very quickly. but maxing out for you might not be the best idea because you seem to be doing very well with your style of training right now.

yeah my pec-delt tie in is one of my best features due to years of heavy flat benching.

you have some very impressive lifts arnold, i don't see guys putting up those weights on a regular basis.

Good luck!

8)
That sounds kind of cool...thanks.

I really don't think there is anything impresive about my lifts...not at all. I am by no means the strongest guy in my gym...not even close. Granted, I can hold my own, but it's kind of like the old saying, "there is always someone better." Even so, thanks for the props :)