Author Topic: Ron Paul on HR 1955  (Read 1234 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Ron Paul on HR 1955
« on: December 07, 2007, 07:35:34 PM »
Rep. Ron Paul, M.D.

Madame Speaker, I regret that I was unavoidably out of town on October 23, 2007, when a vote was taken on HR 1955, the Violent Radicalization & Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act.  Had I been able to vote, I would have voted against this misguided and dangerous piece of legislation. This legislation focuses the weight of the US government inward toward its own citizens under the guise of protecting us against “violent radicalization.”

cont... http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2007/cr120507h.htm

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Ron Paul on HR 1955
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 07:38:32 PM »
oh by the way, I'm seeing Ron Paul stickers, signs and entire trucks painted in homage to Ron Paul in Wyoming and Colorado... I have not yet seen a truck or otherwise painted up for any of the other republican candidates, not even bumper stickers, yet I have seen several for Paul... I ask again, wtf is going on with his low polling...

Maybe people can report from other areas?  Are you seeing a lot of Ron Paul supporters?

Historian Yates

• Getbig V
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1! & I'm a llama! & Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 08:25:58 PM »
I've actually seen some Ron Paul graffiti on a couple of interstate overpasses in Pa and Ohio. I think all the signs and support, but low polling numbers are a result of a small, but hardcore, grassroots base.

It's not totally accurate, but I think he's sort of the conservative Howard Dean. A lot of dedicated supporters and internet fundraising. The difference is Howard Dean had a vaccum of nationally known candidates in '04 that allowed him to be the frontrunner until the actually voting started. In the end he was too left of center for the mainstream. Unfortunatley for Ron Paul, there are already too many known candidates for him to make up any ground.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 08:35:23 PM »
oh by the way, I'm seeing Ron Paul stickers, signs and entire trucks painted in homage to Ron Paul in Wyoming and Colorado... I have not yet seen a truck or otherwise painted up for any of the other republican candidates, not even bumper stickers, yet I have seen several for Paul... I ask again, wtf is going on with his low polling...

Maybe people can report from other areas?  Are you seeing a lot of Ron Paul supporters?

Same here in OH!  8)

Well no trucks yet, but stickers and yard signs.
S

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 08:40:58 PM »

I was watching a youtube piece where the polling was 33% for Ron Paul which whipped everyone else.  I think a news channel in Cali did it.  I think there is definitely a conspiracy going on.  This nation NEEDS Ron Paul.  I have never been a republican but Ron Paul is more in line with my views for sure.  I am a Libertarian.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 12:13:34 AM »
Rep. Ron Paul, M.D.

Madame Speaker, I regret that I was unavoidably out of town on October 23, 2007, when a vote was taken on HR 1955, the Violent Radicalization & Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act.  Had I been able to vote, I would have voted against this misguided and dangerous piece of legislation. This legislation focuses the weight of the US government inward toward its own citizens under the guise of protecting us against “violent radicalization.”

cont... http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2007/cr120507h.htm

He actually makes a good point that this kind of activity can probably be prosecuted under existing laws. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 12:17:18 AM »

Nope.  I've seen one bumper sticker, one guy (a student) walking around with a handwritten t-shirt, and one crude sign-waving group on the side of the road.  But people here tend to be more vocal about local politics. 

The low polling is probably related to the fact that he probably will not get comparatively many Republican votes.  Nothing more complicated than that IMO.  We'll find out in a few weeks in Iowa how accurate the polls have been. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 12:21:09 AM »
I've actually seen some Ron Paul graffiti on a couple of interstate overpasses in Pa and Ohio. I think all the signs and support, but low polling numbers are a result of a small, but hardcore, grassroots base.

It's not totally accurate, but I think he's sort of the conservative Howard Dean. A lot of dedicated supporters and internet fundraising. The difference is Howard Dean had a vaccum of nationally known candidates in '04 that allowed him to be the frontrunner until the actually voting started. In the end he was too left of center for the mainstream. Unfortunatley for Ron Paul, there are already too many known candidates for him to make up any ground.

I agree with this.  I'd add that Dean presented himself better than Paul does . . . except for the yeeaaahhh! speech that made him look like a weirdo. 

This version is even better (Dave Chappelle):