Author Topic: strongman workouts  (Read 1520 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
strongman workouts
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:30:27 AM »
Iv'e got two months to get my shit togehter...

what does a typical WEEK look like for a strongman competitor? Here's what I've been doing for my actual WORKOUTS with strongman stuff... I'm using fat handles on all the carry and drag events in training to help my grip out. I'm working with weights that the 275lb weight classes above me are using to help make my life easier in MY weight class and I have a facility where I can train for hte actual events that will be taking place. I'm also looking into records to see what I might be able to do.

I do have a few questions though. How much does the log itself weigh empty and what weight classes fall under the LW master's class..i can't seem to find that anywhere. I'm for sure cutting down to 231 but may go for 220.

so let's see it..what's a typical strongman trainer's week look like.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: strongman workouts
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »
The log is usually around 120-150 empty but I have used a log that is 185 empty. Hard to say but put it on the scale and find out.

Heres my week:

Mon - Max Lower/Dynamic Upper
         Ex. Max=DL variation, box squat, GM, for reps OR weight depending on how I feel.....
              Dyn Upper=3 week pendulum wave for speed/Rack OHP from sticking point, Push press, incline bench, etc....
                              Tricep work, Upper Back, Abs/Core,Delts....

Tue - Cardio/Rest (tire flip, sled, light farmers...)

Wed - Max Upper/Dynamic
         Ex. Max=OHP, Military, Seated DB's, clean and press....
              Dyn Lower=Low Box, high box, DL variation, GM/squat combo, etc..
                              Quad, Ham, Calf, Abs/Core...

Thur - Cardio/Rest (same as Tue)

Fri - Rest

Sat - Events
        3-4 events with warmup
        This is a medium intensity workout of just going through the motions with whatever is comfortable that day.
        No need to tarture yourself EVERY event day. Just keep things in tune and see where you're at.
        Work on technique.

Sun - Recovery. High cals and low intensity cardio.

This is ideal but not always possible. The gym days are done as modified Westside style. It is easy to become fatigued if you follow this too long. I mix it up by going from strict Westside to My 3-day split to Max OT every now and again. Im still figuring my needs and limitations out but it works pretty well for me.