Author Topic: New Jersey to Become First State to Ban Death Penalty in 42 Years  (Read 6646 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Too bad for Megan Kanka's parents.   :-\

New Jersey Assembly Approves Legislation to Make it First State to Ban Death Penalty in 42 Years
Thursday, December 13, 2007

TRENTON, N.J.  —  The New Jersey Assembly approved legislation Thursday to abolish the state's death penalty, making Gov. Jon S. Corzine's signature the only step left before the state becomes the first in four decades to ban executions.

Assembly members voted 44-36 to replace the death sentence with life in prison without parole. The state Senate approved the bill Monday.

Corzine, a Democrat, has said he will sign the bill within a week.

The measure would spare eight men on the state's death row, including the sex offender whose crimes sparked Megan's Law.

A special state commission found in January that the death penalty was a more expensive sentence than life in prison, hasn't deterred murder and risks killing an innocent person.

"It's time New Jersey got out of the execution business," Democratic Assemblyman Wilfredo Caraballo said. "Capital punishment is costly, discriminatory, immoral and barbaric. We're a better state than one that puts people to death."

Among the death row inmates who would be spared is Jesse Timmendequas, a sex offender convicted of murdering 7-year-old Megan Kanka in 1994. That case sparked a Megan's Law, which requires law enforcement agencies to notify the public about convicted sex offenders living in their communities.

Senate Republicans had sought to retain the death penalty for those who murder law enforcement officials, rape and murder children, and terrorists, but the Senate rejected the idea.

Democrats control the state Legislature.

The nation has executed 1,099 people since the U.S. Supreme Court reauthorized the death penalty in 1976. In 1999, 98 people were executed, the most since 1976; last year 53 people were executed, the lowest since 1996.

Iowa and West Virginia halted executions in 1965. Other states have considered abolishing the death penalty recently, but none has advanced as far as New Jersey. According to the Washington-based Death Penalty Information Center, 37 states have the death penalty.

Bills to abolish the death penalty were recently approved by a Colorado House committee, the Montana Senate and the New Mexico House. But none of those bills has advanced.

The nation's last execution was Sept. 25 in Texas. Since then, executions have been delayed pending a U.S. Supreme Court decision on whether execution through lethal injection violates the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316760,00.html

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: New Jersey to Become First State to Ban Death Penalty in 42 Years
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:11:58 PM »
With new DNA testing we should keep this around.

Too many frivolous appeals tie up the legal system before they can be executed.  We live in a  era where science can exonerate or convict so keep it around.  Figures this liberal idiotic state would be the first to do this.  Maybe the rich corrupt governor should look at Camden (most violent city in the nation) and Trenton to see what shit heads need to be executed in his state. 

Once the people convicted in eras without science are dead we will have a much better system without as many appeals.  As for the pussies that can't execute the murderer, import people with training who will.  Hell, I'm sure there are many in Texas who will volunteer.
Squishy face retard

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 05:33:46 PM »
Thou Shalt Not Kill
S

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 05:43:41 PM »
Thou Shalt Not Kill
Whoever sheds man's blood by man shall his blood be shed.
Squishy face retard

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 05:50:22 PM »
Looks like I need to brush up on my biblical knowledge.   8)
S

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:51:38 AM »
Whoever sheds man's blood by man shall his blood be shed.

That was not Jesus' message, obviously.

BTW, I don't see how this banning has any effect on victim's parents?

As empty as paradise

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 01:30:07 AM »
With new DNA testing we should keep this around.

Too many frivolous appeals tie up the legal system before they can be executed.  We live in a  era where science can exonerate or convict so keep it around.  Figures this liberal idiotic state would be the first to do this.  Maybe the rich corrupt governor should look at Camden (most violent city in the nation) and Trenton to see what shit heads need to be executed in his state. 

Once the people convicted in eras without science are dead we will have a much better system without as many appeals.  As for the pussies that can't execute the murderer, import people with training who will.  Hell, I'm sure there are many in Texas who will volunteer.

Cap, I understand where you're coming from, but it has been shown time & time again that DNA evidence is not perfect. It's only as good as the lab processing it, the technician(s) administering or interpreting the evidence, not to mention the individuals supplying the evidence. Lab's are contaminated,  technicians corruptible, as are the ones supplying the evidence. I've heard of cops admitting to planting DNA evidence to build strong cases, and many times, technicians have been pressured into delivering results that the evidence just does not suppport. Once you take a life, you cannot give it back. I've met people who have spent many years on death row, ...only to be saved when their state repealed the death sentence. Many years later, they end up being vindicated. Can those years behind bars be given back? No, ...but at least they now have a chance at life.

We've recently seen 2 such cases of vindication many years after the fact in the last year, and crimes they were initially charged with & convicted of, involved the brutal murders of children. They were innocent, but in your scenario, they would've been victimized and heinously murdered as well, ...only it would've been done by the state.
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 03:45:04 AM »
You cannot have death penalty unless you have a bulletproof legal process.

And that is impossible today.

There is always a slim margin for error.

There may be a day when the legal system is perfect, and there are no errors made, and then we should definitely have a proper discussion regarding the ethics of a death sentance.

But since we cannot guarantee the legal procedure, the death penalty has to be put on hold.
As empty as paradise

Purge_WTF

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 05:21:24 AM »
Thou Shalt Not Kill

It's "Thou Sahlt Not Murder", which indicates the unjust taking of a life.

Shame on Jersey for their decision.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »
Wisconsin doesn't have the death penalty and we do okay.

The death penalty is too costly, wasteful, and unreliable as means of meting out justice.

Granted, it does cut down on recidivism.

I stand with the school of thought that doesn't want the State to have the power to kill its own citizens. 

I believe that for many reasons:  poor economics, awful judicial expediency, not effective as a deterremt, the possibility of rehabilitation, and more.

And what if my wife were raped and killed by some piece of shit?  I would likely want to murder him with my bare hands.  But that's an obvious personal reaction and not an exercise of codified State power.  I think for instances like that, the rock pile should be brought back.

Consign the bastard to the fate we all face everyday:  pointless work with no end and no possibility of enjoying the rewards of his labor.

If it's good enough for the working class, it'll suit a prisoner.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 02:26:11 PM »

Meagan Kanka was murdered in 1994.  Her parents have been waiting for 13 years for this guy to be executed.  I think that is an emotional rollercoaster for her parents.  Plus he deserves to die. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 02:26:47 PM »
  It's "Thou Sahlt Not Murder", which indicates the unjust taking of a life.

Shame on Jersey for their decision.

I agree with both points.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »

Do unto others....

I think people who MURDER should die and hold myself to the same standard.

The death penalty is costly because of APPEALS not the execution itself. 

Jag-I know what you mean but 20+ years of appeals are absurd and as the times progress with DNA the tests get better.  The old timers will filter out of the system and things will change.  We are talking about murder and treason which aren't the highest crime rates in our society so I would think within 10 years with current and improved DNA tests we can get it right.  What happens now is that the legal system is so tied up with frivolous torts and appeals (aimed at delaying death sentence altogether) that the truly innocent sit in jail and the guilty are spared.  Screw that.  I'd trade one asshole with two strikes possibly being innocent for murder rather than let all the murderers sit and stew in jail, being heroes to the other douchebags.
Squishy face retard

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
liberals hate the death penalty. their reason is because its wrong to take someones life. meanwhile they're all pro choice  :-\

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
liberals hate the death penalty. their reason is because its wrong to take someones life. meanwhile they're all pro choice :-\
Exactly.  Kill the innocent but let the guilty live??
Squishy face retard

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 04:15:49 PM »
Do unto others....

Jag-I know what you mean but 20+ years of appeals are absurd and as the times progress with DNA the tests get better.  The old timers will filter out of the system and things will change.  We are talking about murder and treason which aren't the highest crime rates in our society so I would think within 10 years with current and improved DNA tests we can get it right.  What happens now is that the legal system is so tied up with frivolous torts and appeals (aimed at delaying death sentence altogether) that the truly innocent sit in jail and the guilty are spared.  Screw that.  I'd trade one asshole with two strikes possibly being innocent for murder rather than let all the murderers sit and stew in jail, being heroes to the other douchebags.

Thankfully you don't get to decide.  :)
w

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 04:22:36 PM »
Do unto others....

1.- I disagree with you mate. Murders and Sexual abusers should be beaten for like 1 or 2 months, everyday. After that, let them heal, educate them, show them what they did was wrong, let them find the light, the hope for a new life, to start all over, and after they succeed it, kill them.

2.- In china, when the government execute people, they send the bill for the cost of the soldier used, the bullet and some other costs, to the family of the bastard. THATS WHAT I CALL DEMOCRACY.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 04:28:58 PM »
Thankfully you don't get to decide.  :)
Thankfully you don't live hear to add to these liberal idiots.  Seriously, I'd sacrifice a two time loser who has been a burden on this society and could go to jail for life with a third strike rather than feed some shit head for 50 years.  What do they learn?  What do they accomplish?  What purpose do they serve as a convicted murderer?  I laugh at all the liberals who KILL babies, spit on soldiers calling them baby killers (moreso in Vietnam) but cry and picket when some asshole kills an entire family (look up Kevin Cooper).  DNA is good enough to exonerate but not to convict?  Give me a break. 

"Quit saying that cocksucking criminals are victims instead of the worthless parasites they are."-Dark Blue 

Post edit:
Benz- Sexual abusers, well, castration sounds good.

I'm all for a firing squad.  A bullet less than one dollar, a few marksmen and one douchebag.
Squishy face retard

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »
I'm glad.  It's time to join the civilized world.  The Death Penalty hasn't even been proven to be a factor in overall deterrance.  I do not believe that Man has a universal right to condemn anyone to death when one man has another completely in his power(Prison).  Life in prison serves as the proper punishment and for the most part serves what it is supposed to do....deterrance, rehabilitation(many try, but mostly fail), punishment, and isolation from society.  In the US, however, prisons and jails are literally used as human warehouses, locking up anyone for the pettiest of offenses, all for political pandering and corporate greasing.  But that's another subject for another day.

What does the Death Penalty serve?  How is it beneficial to society as a whole?  It isn't like it is a necessity to make room in prisons or even for monetary purposes...not that those two choices are any good at all in determining if one is to be put to death.  Cost efficiency of the death penalty versus life in prison should not be subject to determine if one gets put to death, as I believe there is no monetary value on man.  So now let us look on to the immediate victim's families.  Does killing the offender heal, or help to heal, the families?  Does keeping the offender away for the rest of his life, isolated and locked up give most or all victim's families' a feeling of "justice not being served?"   I've never been in that situation, but am understanding and amendable to the victim's families feelings and what they want, even if what is wanted is the offender's death. 

I've always asked Pro-Death penalty advocates this hypothetical question:  You have 100 people on death row, all to be executed on the same day.  YOU are to throw the switch(or use the needle, etc...) on all 100 of them that day.  These people include murderers, sex offenders, serial killers, you name it......the most despised, evil, and depraved in society.  However, one of them is completely innocent of any crime for which he was convicted.  He's legally guilty, but factually innocent.  Could you still throw the switch knowing that one innocent man was going to die?  Innocent people have died in the past, and will probably continue to do so in the future.  Wouldn't an alternative be to instead keep them away for the rest of their lives, with just the chance that perhaps that innocent man may one day leave his cell?  If he doesn't, at least he still has his life, even if confined.

I was a State of Florida CO for just over 3 years at a medium-security facility.  I'm not one of these "heal murderers then set them back in society, or Free Mumia-Abu Jamal" types, but I don't advocate beating people or putting them to death.  I think a lot of these pro-Death advocates are predominantly people who've never had someone close to them be truly victimized, but seek some way of deterrance and retribution to these sick, sick crimes(sex offenders seem to register the most emotional output with people nowadays).  If someone DID have a victim close to them, I sincerely apologize if I sound unapologetic and unkind.  However, I maintain that such feelings should not dictate loss of life, nor should the politicians that make such decisions pander to them.

Sorry for being long-winded.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »
JBGRAY-a story for you if I may.  A Los Angeles judge, a liberal Democrat, believed in healing prisoners and not sending anybody for long sentences and felt that harsh punishments served a purpose.  Then, one night his house was broken into and his wife was brutally raped and beaten while he sat watching, tied up also beaten.  From that point on he was one of the harshest sentencing judges in the city and county.  I bet if anyone on this board had a family member/wife/etc killed they would want revenge.  If we are going to pay for murdering assholes to live a full life then we need to stop abortion ASAP and allot funds for those kids to live for 50 years.  I wonder if NJ will abolish abortion.   ::) ::)  Oh, but a woman's right to choose ... :'( .  It's a sad world we live in.  If you murder you deserve to die.  In cases of clear cut murder who honestly thinks there can be foul play?  I still want to know how people think DNA can exonerate a man but nor convict.
Squishy face retard

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 05:52:33 PM »
Thankfully you don't live hear to add to these liberal idiots.  Seriously, I'd sacrifice a two time loser who has been a burden on this society and could go to jail for life with a third strike rather than feed some shit head for 50 years.  What do they learn?  What do they accomplish?  What purpose do they serve as a convicted murderer?  I laugh at all the liberals who KILL babies, spit on soldiers calling them baby killers (moreso in Vietnam) but cry and picket when some asshole kills an entire family (look up Kevin Cooper).  DNA is good enough to exonerate but not to convict?  Give me a break. 

"Quit saying that cocksucking criminals are victims instead of the worthless parasites they are."-Dark Blue 

Benz-you don't heal a murderer and send them back into society.  We need to line them up and hang them publicly like in the old days.  That would send a message.  Nowadays we just put them to sleep.  You are naive if you think these idiots can change.  Sexual abusers, well, castration sounds good.

I'm all for a firing squad.  A bullet less than one dollar, a few marksmen and one douchebag.

Did i say that bro? I said heal him, then kill him haha

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 05:57:33 PM »
Did i say that bro? I said heal him, then kill him haha
Haha.  I misread it.  My bad.   ;) 
Squishy face retard

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 06:12:40 PM »
JBGRAY-a story for you if I may.  A Los Angeles judge, a liberal Democrat, believed in healing prisoners and not sending anybody for long sentences and felt that harsh punishments served a purpose.  Then, one night his house was broken into and his wife was brutally raped and beaten while he sat watching, tied up also beaten.  From that point on he was one of the harshest sentencing judges in the city and county.  I bet if anyone on this board had a family member/wife/etc killed they would want revenge.  If we are going to pay for murdering assholes to live a full life then we need to stop abortion ASAP and allot funds for those kids to live for 50 years.  I wonder if NJ will abolish abortion.   ::) ::)  Oh, but a woman's right to choose ... :'( .  It's a sad world we live in.  If you murder you deserve to die.  In cases of clear cut murder who honestly thinks there can be foul play?  I still want to know how people think DNA can exonerate a man but nor convict.

We all have our differences, and I respect yours.  I don't believe in healing hardened convicts.  I simply believe that they should just be locked up for the remainder of their lives, denied freedoms that the rest of us enjoy.  You're also correct in stating that I would indeed want revenge if any of my family or people close to me were murdered.  I would personally want my revenge in blood, with me to mete it out.  However, me in that state shouldn't be making that decision, nor should any politician pandering to me.  In all honesty, such as a recent cop-killer down here in Dade, he died when he brandished a firearm towards the cops who came to arrest him.  Good riddance, IMO. 

We need to stop acting on emotion and instead look on what is causing the crime here in the US, political correctness be damned.  Harsher sentences are not helping, nor is the death penalty.  Judges and politicians "cracking down" are simply pandering to the ever-growing private correctional industries and pandering to the people in their jurisdictions by being "tough on crime."  You mention paying these assholes to live their lives.  Well, we're not paying very much.  Go down to any one of our fine Florida correctional instutions and have yourself a fine inmate meal.  We're penny-pinching down here.  Besides, I'm sure there are quite a number more things you are discontent with that our local, state, and federal governments fund.  I can tell you one of the big reasons for the overcriminalization of America, but that's for another subject :)

I don't think abortion and the death penalty should go hand in hand.  They are vastly seperate issues.  Abortion alone is a topic that can stretch endlessly.  Yes, killing is at the core of the issue, but war is as well.  Or how about self-defense?  What are your feelings on Dr. Kevorkian?  Difference between you and I, however, is that I do not approve of Man dealing out death when that kind of power is completely in his hands over another.  By that way of thinking, I am pro-life, as you seem to be.

To my knowledge, DNA has "helped immensely" to convict as well as exonerate.  As to what the rate actually is, I am not sure.  But I do know there are far, far more convictions than exonerations.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 06:24:26 PM »
JBGray-I respect your position and explanation.  I think a lot of things need to change in the criminal justice system, but only for better punishment and good use of funds.  I'm all for the harshest punishments and I don't think that anything should really slide but we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue.  My point about exoneration vs conviction was more a point to Jag saying that DNA was good to exonerate but that it is misused and not adequate to convict.  I have a problem with that.
Squishy face retard

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 06:26:05 PM »
Thankfully you don't live hear to add to these liberal idiots.  Seriously, I'd sacrifice a two time loser who has been a burden on this society and could go to jail for life with a third strike rather than feed some shit head for 50 years.  What do they learn?  What do they accomplish?  What purpose do they serve as a convicted murderer?

Well since you ask, I can think of one convicted man who accomplished quite a bit. Managed to bring about a truce that so many were unable to effect for years. Managed to get through to youngsters to get many to get out of gang life, or to not even go down that route to begin with. Even managed to earn himself a nobel peace prize nomination. At that point in his life, he was far more valueable to society alive than dead, ...but his good works were not to be continued by him.

DNA is good enough to exonerate but not to convict?  Give me a break.

{blink}{blink} Gladly, what would you like me to break first... your arms or your legs?   :D

Post edit:
Benz- Sexual abusers, well, castration sounds good.

No one is saying cocksucking criminals are victims instead of worthless parasites,
...but even modern medicine is finding parasites are very valueable in effecting healing.  :D

...until YOU become the douchebag. Don't think it possible? That's naive.
w