Author Topic: Lowry: Dems will squash Huckabee  (Read 654 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Lowry: Dems will squash Huckabee
« on: December 14, 2007, 07:27:11 PM »
Interesting commentary.  I'm not sure how valid this is, because Bush was a social conservative and was elected twice. 

December 14, 2007
Lowry: Dems will squash Huckabee
Is Huckabee this year's Howard Dean?
WASHINGTON (CNN) — Is Mike Huckabee the new Howard Dean?

That's what one prominent conservative thinks, and he's warning his fellow Republicans not to nominate the former Arkansas governor.

Rich Lowry, an editor of the conservative publication the National Review (which endorsed rival Mitt Romney this week), writes on the Republican Web site Townhall.com Friday that nominating Huckabee would amount to "an act of suicide" for the party.

"Like Dean, Huckabee is an under-vetted former governor who is manifestly unprepared to be president of the United States," Lowry writes. "Like Dean, he is rising toward the top of polls in a crowded field based on his appeal to a particular niche of his party."

"As with Dean, his vulnerabilities in a general election are so screamingly obvious that it's hard to believe that primary voters, once they focus seriously on their choice, will nominate him," he adds.

Huckabee, an ordained Baptist minister, has gained ground in several key primary states largely due to his appeal to Republican evangelical voters. Recent polls have suggested he now holds a double-digit lead over Romney in Iowa, and is in front of Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson in South Carolina.

And in the latest sign Huckabee's campaign is gaining serious momentum, veteran GOP strategist Ed Rollins — the architect of Ronald Reagan's 1984 landslide re-election victory — has signed on to help manage the operation.

Not so fast, says Lowry. According to the conservative commentator, nominating a Baptist minister would turn one of the party's assets — its message of social conservatism — into a liability.

"[A] Baptist pastor running on his religiosity would be rather overdoing it," he wrote. "Social conservatism has to be part of the Republican message, but it can't be the message in its entirety."

In response to Lowry's column, campaign manager Chip Saltsman defended Huckabee's electability and record as governor.

"Rich Lowry should know that four of the past five U.S. presidents have been governors, and all but Ronald Reagan were from the South," Saltsman said. "Mike Huckabee's candidacy is picking up steam because his optimistic, conservative message is resonating with voters who are looking for a leader with vision and experience. He has been elected four times for statewide office, twice as governor, in a Democratic-state because he places a premium on results, and that's what the American people are looking for."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/12/14/republican-dems-will-squash-huckabeee/

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Lowry: Dems will squash Huckabee
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:11:10 PM »
See, this is because of what I said about so many Christians being anti mormon in America.  It is what it is, these people sit around with evil stories about mormons, I've heard them all one time or another.  That hole crowd is running to Mike with Rudy and Fred increasingly looking like complete turds.  They're going, AHHHH not mormon, plus he just comes across more genuine while the others reek of saying whatever will get them in... Ron Paul and Mike are the only ones who appear to believe what they say.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Lowry: Dems will squash Huckabee
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 10:53:53 AM »
See, this is because of what I said about so many Christians being anti mormon in America.  It is what it is, these people sit around with evil stories about mormons, I've heard them all one time or another.  That hole crowd is running to Mike with Rudy and Fred increasingly looking like complete turds.  They're going, AHHHH not mormon, plus he just comes across more genuine while the others reek of saying whatever will get them in... Ron Paul and Mike are the only ones who appear to believe what they say.

I'm sure there are those who will shy away from Romney because he is Mormon, just like people will not vote for Obama because he is half black, or Hillary because she is a woman, etc.  I doubt that is the reason for Huckabee's rise.  I think it's more related to the weak Republican field, the fact he might be the only social conservative in the race who hasn't flipped, and what you say about being genuine.