Author Topic: Look! He's Jewish!  (Read 1818 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Look! He's Jewish!
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:45:11 AM »
Superman is Jewish

Superman was created by two nice Jewish boys Jerry Seigel and Joe Shuster in 1930s post-depression middle America. The comic book industry was dominated by Jews.

Superman’s arrival and subsequent success is the story of Jewish immigration and achievements into the US. He is taken in by a kind couple in a strange land and given a chance to make good.

His story is also the Moses story. Moses is rescued from the waters in a basket. Superman is rescued from a field in a basket-like spacecraft.

He never forgets who he is: he is being a stranger and being at home simultaneously. This is the heart of Jewish tradition, where every Jew is a boundary crosser and Jews remember the stranger and themselves as strangers.

The Jewish answer to Nietzsche’s superman who was above moral issues; Superman in contrast is immersed in moral issues.

Jewish spiritual and mystic dimensions to Superman’s superpowers, such as the Golem, the creature formed out of clay who would throw himself off buildings and similar feats to protect the Jews of Prague; and the rabbis who were granted supernatural powers by virtue of their holiness.

His being in the diaspora, his need for an alter ego and to fit in and be useful without being noticed is an allegory of Jewish assimilation (especially in the 1930s when anti-semitism in the US was rife.)

Kal-El is Superman’s original, Hebrew-like name which was changed to Anglo-sounding Clark Kent as soon as he arrived in the US.

Superman visits the bottled city of Kandor (the only remaining city of his home planet Krypton, shrunk and inside a bottle) just like diaspora Jews visit Israel.

Were John and Martha Kent Jewish?  Was Jor-El?  If one does not self identify as Jewish or practice any of the traditions or beliefs, how Jewish are you?

I’ve never understood the impulse of a third party to decide/declare that someone else is Jewish.  Why do some people do this?  Whenever this happens around me, my response is always the same, “so what?” 

Does anyone, say under 40, care whether someone is Jewish or not?  If I meet someone and they tell me they are Jewish they obviously, want me to know that; fair enough, but why do some people feel the need to announce (pro, con, or indifferent) someone else’s status as a Jew.

Telling me someone is Jewish is like telling me their blood type or shoe size: um, I don't care.  ::)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Look! He's Jewish!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:05:34 AM »
Were John and Martha Kent Jewish?  Was Jor-El?  If one does not self identify as Jewish or practice any of the traditions or beliefs, how Jewish are you?

I’ve never understood the impulse of a third party to decide/declare that someone else is Jewish.  Why do some people do this?  Whenever this happens around me, my response is always the same, “so what?” 

Does anyone, say under 40, care whether someone is Jewish or not?  If I meet someone and they tell me they are Jewish they obviously, want me to know that; fair enough, but why do some people feel the need to announce (pro, con, or indifferent) someone else’s status as a Jew.

Telling me someone is Jewish is like telling me their blood type or shoe size: um, I don't care.  ::)

I'm not sure what a third party's intention is to declare someone else is Jewish.  On one hand they could possibly have a bias against Jews and believe in stereotypes and want to assign them to the person.  Maybe they feel they can "bond" with the hearer against the Jewish person?

On the other hand maybe the third party feels that Jews are very blessed people and shares the declaration as a type of reverence. 

Maybe they are just being objectively informational?

BTW, my shoe size is 10  :)

R

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 12:13:04 PM »
I think Superman's jewness might be noteworthy.  Anyone is debatable.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »

Damn, you have huge feet!  :o
Ron: "I am lazy."

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
I'm not sure what a third party's intention is to declare someone else is Jewish.  On one hand they could possibly have a bias against Jews and believe in stereotypes and want to assign them to the person.  Maybe they feel they can "bond" with the hearer against the Jewish person?

On the other hand maybe the third party feels that Jews are very blessed people and shares the declaration as a type of reverence. 

Maybe they are just being objectively informational?

Good for you Stella, you are a full-footed woman like my wife...except she has banana feet.  Think Popeye's Olive.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »

Damn, you have huge feet!  :o
Yes, :-[ huge hands too.  Today I was caught w/o gloves and while at the grocery store thought I would buy some.  There was a pair I liked...picked them up..the tag said "Ladies."  Knew not to even try them on....   Sorted through till I found the same pair w/ "Men" on the tag.  Bought those.  :)  They're kinda snug :-[     ;D

Good for you Stella, you are a full-footed woman like my wife...except she has banana feet.  Think Popeye's Olive.
Banana feet?  PICS!!

OK sorry Bay....back to the topic of the thread............. :)
R

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 03:36:57 PM »
I always thought it was pretty obvious Superman was a Jew, ...but like you said "Not that it matters".

Oh btw - One little correction, Superman was actually created by a young Toronto Star reporter, and like most everything else 'co-opted' and 'taken credit for' by Americans.
w