Author Topic: If Ron Paul stays in the race after the nomination...  (Read 719 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
If Ron Paul stays in the race after the nomination...
« on: December 16, 2007, 03:39:26 PM »
Will the Dems win?

Let's be objective here.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: If Ron Paul stays in the race after the nomination...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 03:48:15 PM »
You mean if he runs as an independent?  I don't see it.  He would have to get on the ballot in all 50 states to have any shot.  He won't have time to do that and won't have enough money to win, absent some Ross Perot-type writing checks for him. 

If he overcame all of those obstacles and ran as an independent, there is precedent for him causing problems in the general.  Nader is partly responsible for Gore losing in 2000 (took votes in Florida).  It's possible Paul could siphon votes from the Republican nominee next year in a critical state, but I'll be surprised if that happens. 

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 03:50:57 PM »
You mean if he runs as an independent?  I don't see it.  He would have to get on the ballot in all 50 states to have any shot.  He won't have time to do that and won't have enough money to win, absent some Ross Perot-type writing checks for him. 

If he overcame all of those obstacles and ran as an independent, there is precedent for him causing problems in the general.  Nader is partly responsible for Gore losing in 2000 (took votes in Florida).  It's possible Paul could siphon votes from the Republican nominee next year in a critical state, but I'll be surprised if that happens. 

Nader and Perot are perfect examples.

I'd love to see RP as prez but it won't happen and if he stays in too long I think we're looking at a total failure.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 04:14:30 PM »
Nader and Perot are perfect examples.

I'd love to see RP as prez but it won't happen and if he stays in too long I think we're looking at a total failure.

He really can't stay in the race as a Republican after it's clear he will not be the nominee.  He'll lose any credibility he has a Republican.  It would be disloyal to the party (any party) for someone to do that.  He'd have to pull a Lieberman and run as an independent. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 04:17:53 PM »
He really can't stay in the race as a Republican after it's clear he will not be the nominee.  He'll lose any credibility he has a Republican.  It would be disloyal to the party (any party) for someone to do that.  He'd have to pull a Lieberman and run as an independent. 

He claims he will only run as a Republican, and you know what a straight up guy he is.
S

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 04:22:47 PM »
He claims he will only run as a Republican, and you know what a straight up guy he is.

Hopefully that means he knows the implications if he stays in.  I just hope he can sway his supporters to the best chance we have whoever that might be.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »

Nader attracted the far LEFT votes, which took away from Gore.

Paul has a LOT of hardcore far RIGHT beliefs.  He'll steal way more republicans than dems, which will help the dems.  He won't win, but if he takes votes in 3 states, he just giftwrapped the election for Miss Hilary.

And of course, a Paul-Bloomberg ticket WOULD have the cash to make a huge mess of things.  Big big moise lately about Bloomy planning a run as an independent.  Paul would be a gift for Bloomy.  ALl his money plus all the Ron Paul love...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 04:34:38 PM »

Yes he is a straight shooter, but did he make a definitive statement he will not run as an independent?  I thought he was equivocal, at best, on that issue? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 04:45:31 PM »
nobody has yet posted a promise from Ron Paul not to run as an independent.  In every single statement I've seen he's said at this time he has no plans to run independent.