Author Topic: Medical Question  (Read 1402 times)

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
Medical Question
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:15:53 AM »
Say Alexander Federov or Toney Freeman wanted to repair there torn Pecs, can it surgically be done years after the tear ???
Arnold For President 2012.2016

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: Medical Question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:25:29 AM »
also, can a tear/nerve damage such as a markus ruhl or scott steiner be surgically repaired in any way?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 04:29:28 AM »
no. if it could be done they would have done it....

the sooner you get surgery after tear the better.

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:33:07 AM »
no. if it could be done they would have done it....

the sooner you get surgery after tear the better.
So immediatly after the tear can it be repaired or is it after a certian time lapses that it cannot get it repaired.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:40:15 AM »
So immediatly after the tear can it be repaired or is it after a certian time lapses that it cannot get it repaired.
well i dont know it all depends on what type of tear. all i know is the sooner you get surgery the better.

also there are different types of tears.

Tear off the teandon which is the "best" tear to have cause the tendon can be attached again.

Tear off the muscle which is pretty hard to repair. Like Dorians bicep tear. Think its pretty much impossible to repair.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:41:30 AM »
anyway im no doctor so anyone correct me if im wrong..

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 04:42:42 AM »
dr. d, speak on this

also, can a tear/nerve damage such as a markus ruhl or scott steiner be surgically repaired in any way?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:44:19 AM »
A tendon tear may be possible to repair even after a decade+ but for best cosmetic results the sooner the better.

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:38:07 AM »
Im not an orthopedic surgeon, however, if I recall correctly from my internship years...reattaching a torn tendon is relatively straightforward and can be done years later, unfortunately, the strength and pliability of the tendon suffers. Torn muscles basically are reattached by oversewing, and the cosmetic result is not ideal to say the least (see DY for example).

Repairing nerve damage such as Colemans or Cutlers, w Hemiatrophy of the entire body is not as easy. Depends if the damage is second to a herniated disc, which can be repaired (discectomy, etc...) or higher up in the CNS (stroke).

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 06:46:22 AM »
Im not an orthopedic surgeon, however, if I recall correctly from my internship years...reattaching a torn tendon is relatively straightforward and can be done years later, unfortunately, the strength and pliability of the tendon suffers. Torn muscles basically are reattached by oversewing, and the cosmetic result is not ideal to say the least (see DY for example).

Repairing nerve damage such as Colemans or Cutlers, w Hemiatrophy of the entire body is not as easy. Depends if the damage is second to a herniated disc, which can be repaired (discectomy, etc...) or higher up in the CNS (stroke).
If thats the case then Federov should go under the knife even if its a torn muscle not the Tendon his chest has totally ruined his career.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 06:53:17 AM »

what about nerve damage beginning from the sternum of the chest, ala markus ruhl?

i know markus had some kind of treatment for it, but he said its not longterm. is it possible to reattach muscle from different parts of the body to fill in the gap?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 07:02:43 AM »
what about nerve damage beginning from the sternum of the chest, ala markus ruhl?

i know markus had some kind of treatment for it, but he said its not longterm. is it possible to reattach muscle from different parts of the body to fill in the gap?
no. the pec muscle doesn't attach with tendons in the sternum so id say its not possible...

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 07:21:07 AM »
It looks like training to heavy can be a bad thing,Dorian Yates tear after tear,Ronnie Coleman has been rumored to have had a faulty disc in his back that caused nerve damage,Cutler who knows.
Ive had minor pec tears with flat bench but changed to Hammerstrenght.
I wonder how many tears are to the response to heavy lifting on compound exercises ???

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 07:31:17 AM »
Well, if you've come to getbig for medical advice/opinions, you've come to the right place.  we've got some of the world's leading orthopaedic surgeons and endocronologists on staff here.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 07:31:50 AM »
It looks like training to heavy can be a bad thing,Dorian Yates tear after tear,Ronnie Coleman has been rumored to have had a faulty disc in his back that caused nerve damage,Cutler who knows.
Ive had minor pec tears with flat bench but changed to Hammerstrenght.
I wonder how many tears are to the response to heavy lifting on compound exercises ???

Yeah, it is obvious after a while the body can only take so much heavy pounding!
X

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 07:34:39 AM »
no. the pec muscle doesn't attach with tendons in the sternum so id say its not possible...
That makes no sense whatsoever.  Tendons attach muscle to bone.  Ligaments attach bone to bone.

If the pec isn't attached to the sternum by tendons, what is holding it in place?  The Force?

UpTheDosage

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 07:44:15 AM »
Say Alexander Federov or Toney Freeman wanted to repair there torn Pecs, can it surgically be done years after the tear ???

Well it depends on what your definition of "repair" is. I'm assuming you're asking if there is a way you can repair the tear so you can't actually see it anymore. If that's what you're asking than the answer is probably not. It depends on if you do any damage to the actual muscle. If you do indeed tear part of the muscle, you will have a "gap" there forever. Both Toney and Federov have had their tears repaired, and Toney actually did have his repaired years after it happened. Federov has had an implant put in to fill the "hole" left by the rupture.

Somone else was correct above when talking about rupturing the tendon from the humerus. This type of tear is really one's only hope of a full "repair" because it's pretty easy to fix. You just stretch the tendon back out and drill it back into the bone. That's what happened to Levrone and you can still slightly see a "hole" in his chest.

Oh.. and I know all this because I tore my pec last year. 

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 07:46:13 AM »
That makes no sense whatsoever.  Tendons attach muscle to bone.  Ligaments attach bone to bone.

If the pec isn't attached to the sternum by tendons, what is holding it in place?  The Force?
superglue

:D
nah. guess you're right. must be many many small tendons then. think its hard to attach such small tendons.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 05:32:23 PM »
how does one stop nerve damage from getting worse and worse (ala markus ruhl in the pics above, and scott steiner from 2002 - present) ??

as we know, nerve damage is a muscle wasting disease. what actually causes the muscles to waste away, after 12+ years of training with no problems?