Author Topic: Huckabee: Liberalism Cancer on Christianity  (Read 3625 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Huckabee: Liberalism Cancer on Christianity
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:11:37 AM »
Good interview.

Huckabee: Liberalism Cancer on Christianity
Sunday, December 16, 2007 6:31 PM
The New York Times Sunday Magazine is out with its profile of former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee.

Here are some excerpts from "The Huckabee Factor":

Huckabee on Liberalism: "In fact, as he wrote in his book ‘‘Character Makes a Difference,’’ he considers liberalism to be a cancer on Christianity. Huckabee is an admirer of the late Jerry Falwell (whose son, Jerry Jr., recently endorsed his candidacy) and subscribes wholeheartedly to the principles of the Moral Majority."

On Romney: "He mentioned how much he respected his fellow candidates John McCain and Rudolph W. Giuliani. The name of his principal rival in Iowa, Mitt Romney, went unmentioned."

On Mormons: "'Don’t Mormons,' he asked in an innocent voice, 'believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?'’’

His Primary Chances: ‘‘'He’ll get hammered in New Hampshire,' the Republican consultant Mike Murphy told me. 'A primary campaign is like a book. Iowa is just the first chapter. After that come more chapters. Opponents will hit Huckabee for being soft on immigration, Arkansas allegations, that kind of thing. And at some point, Republican elites will begin to ask, Is what we need a smallstate governor who doesn’t believe in Darwin?'’’

Foreign Policy Advisers: "At lunch, when I asked him who influences his thinking on foreign affairs, he mentioned Thomas Friedman, the New York Times columnist, and Frank Gaffney, a neoconservative and the founder of a research group called the Center for Security Policy."

His Secretary of Defense: "The only name he mentioned was Representative Duncan Hunter of California. 'Duncan is extraordinarily well qualified to be secretary of Defense,' he said."

On George W. Bush: "Huckabee was eager to separate himself from George W. Bush, who, he complained, often visited Arkansas without bothering to notify the governor’s office. 'Clinton was much better at letting us know his plans and including us in his activities. He was always gracious and respectful.'’’

On Richard Land: "At the Olive Garden he spoke with bitterness about Richard Land, the president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention. 'Richard Land swoons for Fred Thompson,' he said. 'I don’t know what that’s about. For reasons I don’t fully understand, some of these Washington-based people forget why they are there. They make ‘electability’ their criterion. But I am a true soldier for the cause. If my own abandon me on the battlefield, it will have a chilling effect.'’’

Huckabee's Popularity in Arkansas: "Which is why many were surprised when, at the end of October, the University of Arkansas published a poll in which state voters, asked an open question about their presidential preference, chose Hillary Clinton. She got 35 percent. Huckabee, less than a year out of the governor’s mansion, tied Rudy Giuliani for second place with 8 percent."

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/Huckabee_Liberalism_Cance/2007/12/16/57472.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Huckabee: Liberalism Cancer on Christianity
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:20:15 AM »

I don't like Huckabee, looks like a holy roller to me.  Bad for America.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »
I don't like Huckabee, looks like a holy roller to me.  Bad for America.

How is a "holy roller" bad for America? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:48:46 AM »
Huckabee is an affable guy and can be eloquent at times but I think as people look more closely they'll find lot's of things about him that make them uncomfortable.

In the story that Bum posted the last paragragh says that only 8% of people in his home state would want him as President  - maybe they know something that the rest of us haven't learned yet

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:51:39 AM »

He'll mix religion with politics, he'll let religious beliefs guide his decision making even when it's not practical or proper.  Honestly, i see BUSH all over again, just a different face.

A President with a religious back ground is good, a president who's more like a bible thumper could be tragic.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:57:23 AM »
He'll mix religion with politics, he'll let religious beliefs guide his decision making even when it's not practical or proper.  Honestly, i see BUSH all over again, just a different face.

A President with a religious back ground is good, a president who's more like a bible thumper could be tragic.

The jesus crowd would think it's swell to mix religion and politics  i.e the very thing that most of us would think is bad would be exactly what they think is good

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 09:57:42 AM »

He didn't do that as governor of Arkansas.  Why do you think he'll do that as president?  

Sounds like you're saying religious convictions are okay, but the president shouldn't be too open about it.  Our Lt. Gov. has faced the same criticism (wearing his religion on his sleeve).  I don't think it's a fair criticism.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »
He didn't do that as governor of Arkansas.  Why do you think he'll do that as president? 

Sounds like you're saying religious convictions are okay, but the president shouldn't be too open about it.  Our Lt. Gov. has faced the same criticism (wearing his religion on his sleeve).  I don't think it's a fair criticism. 

I come from the school that says religion and politics and or government is a bad mix.  Very religious people who get in positions of power can potentially or are tempted to abuse their power and justify it by their faith. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »
How christian of the man to label liberalism as cancerous to christianity.

It's that kind of self-less love and understanding that must have made him a heck of a preacher.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »
speaking of Huck being a preacher - journalist have been trying to get access to some of his sermons and his campaign hasn't been exactly helpful

http://www.motherjones.com/washington_dispatch/2007/12/huckabee-faith-baptist-pastor-sermons.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 10:24:05 AM »
I come from the school that says religion and politics and or government is a bad mix.  Very religious people who get in positions of power can potentially or are tempted to abuse their power and justify it by their faith. 

I don't think history bears that out Ozmo.  I think every president in our history has been, at least superficially, religious?  Clinton was very public about attending church.  Numerous presidents invited Billy Graham into the White House as an advisor.  They've been public about attending church.  They talk about their faith.  They do things like participate in the national prayer day.    

I believe in church-state separation, but religion is completely intertwined in our society.  It's all over the place.    

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 10:24:24 AM »
How christian of the man to label liberalism as cancerous to christianity.

It's that kind of self-less love and understanding that must have made him a heck of a preacher.

That mere statement shows me just how potentially whacked this guy is.  Him and Man Coulter should do a telethon.

Very Bad for America.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
I don't think history bears that out Ozmo.  I think every president in our history has been, at least superficially, religious?  Clinton was very public about attending church.  Numerous presidents invited Billy Graham into the White House as an advisor.  They've been public about attending church.  They talk about their faith.  They do things like participate in the national prayer day.   

I believe in church-state separation, but religion is completely intertwined in our society.  It's all over the place.     

All true, BB.  But in this case, Huckabee, i think you are dealing with someone who is far and away more religious than your average president was.

The idea that liberalism is a cancer to Christianity is no different that the crap Coulter spouts out of her pie hole.  This is a right wing holy roller.   Not good.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »
All true, BB.  But in this case, Huckabee, i think you are dealing with someone who is far and away more religious than your average president was.

The idea that liberalism is a cancer to Christianity is no different that the crap Coulter spouts out of her pie hole.  This is a right wing holy roller.   Not good.

It's an overstatement to say all of liberalism is a cancer to Christianity, but part of what he said is true.  There are parts of liberalism that are irreconcilable with Christianity.

That said, I would look at his record as governor.  You can call him a "holy roller" or "whacked," but his record in the executive branch of state government doesn't support those conclusions.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »
if he was such a good govenor then why would only 8% of responsdents in his own state want him as President.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 10:41:37 AM »
if he was such a good govenor then why would only 8% of responsdents in his own state want him as President.   

I don't believe anyone in this thread said he was a "good governor."  That's not the issue.  The issue isn't whether he was a good governor.  The issue is whether he allowed his religious convictions to control/dictate his policy decisions.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 10:43:19 AM »
It's an overstatement to say all of liberalism is a cancer to Christianity, but part of what he said is true.  There are parts of liberalism that are irreconcilable with Christianity.

So?   This is a man running for president who feels that some liberal ideals are a cancer to his "moral majority".   That's  someone who I don't think should be in office.  At the very least he should have enough sense to be fair or political about the views of others.  But he isn't because I'm sure he's feels he's justified by faith.  That's what's dangerous IMO.  Dangerous on the level of BUSH invading a sovereign country based on faulty intelligence and mismanaging the whole affair.  Or Dangerous on the level of pushing for more limitations of our rights in the name of fighting terrorism.  Or dangerous on the level of promoting the with us or against us mentality, except that with Huckabee, he'll do it with more of a THUMP in his step.

That said, I would look at his record as governor.  You can call him a "holy roller" or "whacked," but his record in the executive branch of state government doesn't support those conclusions.   

Perhaps so, but there is a big difference between being a governor versus a president and i think Presidential actions and powers affect far more people.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 10:47:39 AM »
I don't believe anyone in this thread said he was a "good governor."  That's not the issue.  The issue isn't whether he was a good governor.  The issue is whether he allowed his religious convictions to control/dictate his policy decisions.   

fair point - although he does seem to be making his religious beliefs and more especially his religous background point of separation between him the other candidate.

It seems odd that he would make it an issue and then expect us not to be concerned that it will affect his judgement in matters of the country

Personally, I think he also scares the neo-cons because they think that he believes what he says and might actually act like a christian such as caring about the poor.   I think republican party likes it when their candidates pay lip service to the religious right but they're scared that he might actually be genuine in his beliefs

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 10:50:44 AM »
Here's a great article by Gene Lyons on Huckabee and how he listens to the true americans--the right wingers:

...Even so, what’s more likely to prevent him from succeeding in national politics is his role in the appalling saga of Wayne DuMond.

DuMond was the Arkansas celebrity inmate of the 1990s. Convicted of raping a Forrest City high school cheerleader at knifepoint in 1985, DuMond became famous for two reasons. First, somebody castrated him while he was free on bond awaiting trial. (Investigators suspected drunken self-mutilation, not unknown among sex offenders.) Worse, the local sheriff exhibited DuMond’s testicles in a jar of formaldehyde, an Arkansas-gothic stunt triggering rumors of vigilante justice.

Second, DuMond’s victim, who’d recognized her attacker on the street weeks after the crime, was a distant cousin of Bill Clinton. That excited the kinds of conspiracy nuts that circulated “Clinton death lists.” They portrayed poor DuMond as a victim of the Clinton machine’s satanic wrath. His innocence became an article of faith on the fruitcake right.

Huckabee came into office talking about pardoning DuMond, citing “serious questions as to the legitmacy of his guilt” to reporters. He did that without consulting the prosecutor, who described the case as one of the strongest he’d ever tried. If nothing else, what were the odds that the victim would have identified, purely by chance, a perp with an extensive rap sheet?

DuMond’s criminal history included arrests for murder and assault as well as multiple rape charges. He’d beaten the murder rap by testifying against two accomplices he’d helped beat a soldier to death with a claw hammer. The rape cases never came to trial because the victims were too scared to testify. Young Ashley Stevens’ courageous eyewitness testimony, however, sent him to the penitentiary.

After Stevens went public in 1997, Huckabee relented somewhat. Instead of pardoning DuMond, he held an improper closed-door meeting with the parole board, which subsequently reversed itself, paroling DuMond to Missouri. Huckabee claimed the board brought up DuMond; board members insisted he did. Huckabee wrote a “Dear Wayne” letter stating: “My desire is that you be released from prison. I feel that parole is the best way for your reintroduction into society to take place.”

In July 2001, DuMond was arrested for the strangulation murders of two Kansas City-area women, exactly as some of us predicted. Police found his DNA under one victim’s fingernails. Stevens said that when she heard the news on her car radio, she had to pull off the highway until she’d cried herself out. Convicted of first-degree murder, DuMond died in prison in 2005.

No sooner was Dumond’s Missouri arrest announced than Huckabee began blaming everybody in Arkansas except himself. “I think you guys are being played like a cheap fiddle by the Democrats,” he complained to reporters. “They’re trying to make a Willie Horton out of it. And if anybody needs to get a Willie Horton out of it, it’s Jim Guy Tucker and the Democrat Party and it ain’t me.”

His recent book, “From Hope to Higher Ground,” falsely claims that DuMond died in Missouri before coming to trial. Ignorance or falsehood? He even blames Clinton, who played no role whatsoever in the affair, whining that the Arkansas “tabloid press” has mischaracterized his actions.

That’s Huckabee at his worst: rash, devious, incapable of admitting error, a crybaby and definitely not, I submit, presidential material.
http://www.leadercall.com/opinion/local_story_127100022.html/resources_printstory

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 10:52:14 AM »
So?   This is a man running for president who feels that some liberal ideals are a cancer to his "moral majority".   That's  someone who I don't think should be in office.  At the very least he should have enough sense to be fair or political about the views of others.  But he isn't because I'm sure he's feels he's justified by faith.  That's what's dangerous IMO.  Dangerous on the level of BUSH invading a sovereign country based on faulty intelligence and mismanaging the whole affair.  Or Dangerous on the level of pushing for more limitations of our rights in the name of fighting terrorism.  Or dangerous on the level of promoting the with us or against us mentality, except that with Huckabee, he'll do it with more of a THUMP in his step.

Perhaps so, but there is a big difference between being a governor versus a president and i think Presidential actions and powers affect far more people.

But he's partly right.  I don't fault the man for speaking his mind.  

I'd be more concerned if the man had never been in an executive office.  He didn't abuse his powers as governor.  I've never read anything about his religious convictions negatively impacting his decision making as governor.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 11:28:44 AM »

Bush consulted with God before invading Iraq, but not his Sec. of Defense.

Do you know this?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »
So?   This is a man running for president who feels that some liberal ideals are a cancer to his "moral majority".   That's  someone who I don't think should be in office.  At the very least he should have enough sense to be fair or political about the views of others.  But he isn't because I'm sure he's feels he's justified by faith.  ...
This is stated well by you.