Author Topic: Leanest off-season yet...  (Read 4431 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Leanest off-season yet...
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »
mike, my pathetic chest wouldn't grow for pretty much my whole life (i'm 31 now).

So I resorted to doing doubles and singles.  Just put as much weight on that bar as I could move for 2 reps.  I trained like that in my garage for a couple months, and my chest improved drastically despite losing 30+ pounds at the same time.  I dont know if that would work for you on legs (1-3 reps sets of hack squats maybe) but it might be worth a try.  I did 8-15 reps forever and didn't get anywhere.

here's me after dropping down to 175.  still scrawny, but chest got better from the old days when I went as high as 215+.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 10:30:55 AM »
Calories are just that calories

I think you're right, but with one caveat - there are some requirements for

macro (protein/carb/fat) and
micronutrients (vitamins)
that you must fulfill.  I think once you get your 300 protein and 500 carbs and 50 fat, you've covered your bases.  From there it's just manipulation of calories to add/lose weight.  But I could be wrong. 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 10:48:19 AM »
Having a cheat meal once a wk keeps you from stagnating on a diet...when you're in a calorie deficit day in and day out, your bodies metabolism runs the risk of slowing down a pretty good deal...think about it, you're starving. 1 cheat meal per wk seems to take care of this and spike the metabolism and keep everything running smooth.

I'm not dieting right now, but I still have the once per wk cheat meal...even so, every now and then I'll skip it, because when I'm not dieting I rarely crave junk. Anyway, when i do skip it, I can tell a big difference, and that difference is a negative.

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 11:05:17 AM »

that you must fulfill.  I think once you get your 300 protein and 500 carbs and 50 fat, you've covered your bases.  From there it's just manipulation of calories to add/lose weight.  But I could be wrong. 
Your right, Drugs play a major role though but i will not go into that.
I found being a vegetarian very hard i allow myself freerange eggs and dairy products because most protien powders are only 70% protien even if they claim 95% and very expensive so i switched to counting calories to a ratio of how much i wanted to weigh.
I would eat a dozen eggs a day for my protien and bread for carbs and Omega flaxseed oil for my fats, but i would cheat eating chocalate and icecream quite regulary and counting that into my calories if i went over i would use cardio to burn off those excess calories(Tax so to speak)
I am doing an Onlyme impersonation of dropping down from 280 to 225 over Feb to July by doing a little cardio and a calorie defecit diet quite modest though i want to lose it slowly and keep some lean muscle.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 05:49:58 PM »
It was 2 (now it's down to one)

protien= 400 plus grams
carbs low = 50 -75
high = 125 -150
cals =  lol don't count em
mood = bitchy!

How can you function normal on 150 g carbs? if you train hard. And 50g or 75 g to me is suicide.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 06:05:25 PM »
I have two cheat meals a day.  And while doing this, I've lost 30 pounds and finally have some abs peeking thru and visible veins.  I was 200+ and disgusting when I was cooking pasta and broiling chicken all day, and 175 today after eating a jimmy dean biscuit and 2 scoops of whey.

For me, it was just all about activity.  I used to sit in that recliner 24/7 and build websites and post on getbig.  I ate better, but I was fat.  I have a rugrat now, and I go to the park, the museum, the zoo, a few times a week, and I look and feel way better.

Bottom line is that 1) I dont really know what I"m talking about 2) Adonis' principles of "a calorie is a calorie" works as long as you fulfill minimal macro (protein) requirements and 3) staying active is most important thing.

::)
Here comes the money shot

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 07:35:01 PM »

this is what i don't understand.

in this very thread you accounted for how a tight bbing diet with the above macros made you skinny fat but, despite your success (stated) in abandoning that protocol, you still come back to it as your basis.

how much pure lean muscle do you honestly think you're building day to day ???

how much did you build last year for the whole year?

i'm targetting you here, but these are questions any experienced bbers (past 2 years training) can answer for themselves.

how many guys/gals (or lads and lasses in Tatyanna's case) here go to the gym, pound the weights, get their daily quotient of rem sleep, take all the (natural) supps, eat the above macros every single day and can honestly say that they have built more than 5lbs of pure muscle tissue (discounting fat and water retention) since Dec 18th 2006?

so, if you did actually gain 5lbs of muscle tissue (and most wouldn't have if they are allowing for an honest assessment), how much of a difference did that 300/400/500+ grams of protein, etc with all the added stuff (apart from drugs. let's keep the variables simple for now. anabolics, growth, insulin, etc are a completely different animal) make in your progress or lack thereof.

i'm asking these questions, not to seem arrogant or imply that anyone is a failure. to the contrary, i admire anyone who has been able to keep hitting the gym year after year, depite the bombardment of disingenuous propoganda spewed out by the industry through their media and advertisements, that if you're not gaining 30lbs of muscle a year you're a loser.

the simple fact is that the industry itself is just one big advertisement for (natural) supplements and always has been, where they fraudulently use athletes while having full knowledge that said supplements have as much to do with their success as taking a dump in the morning.

here we can all see in this very thread and within this thread an intelligent person (240 - sorry) that is so brainwashed by the industry that, despite his own insight, still chooses to repeat his nonsensical reasoning on macro/micro nutrients.

of course, when one of these industry victims are ever questioned, they simply refer to the success of comp bbers (who we all know use drugs). with that type of logic everyone is left to ponder, bbers remain slaves to the dogma and supplement company chiefs go out and buy a new ferrari.

there was a time, for a long time (longer than bbing has been around) where the world and all it's great scientists absolutely believed that the world was flat simply because they never questioned this "fact".

when someone came along and questioned the fact, all the great scientists told him it was true and how dare he question them. luckily, for us, he persisted.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 07:56:37 PM »
As i sit here and choke down my dry rice and chiken i have to ask................don't you ever just want to say fuck it
and eat what everyone else eats??!?!??!?

french fries,doughnuts!,PIZZA!!!.......ETC ETC.............i mean your never going to be a pro
sooo what's the point?!?!?!

I went out to lunch yesterday at a local burger place with some friends. They got pastrami sandwiches with french fries. I said, what the heck, give me the same thing. I felt like crap all day! Stick with the chicken, rice and veggies. You just feel better.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 07:56:51 PM »
this is what i don't understand.

in this very thread you accounted for how a tight bbing diet with the above macros made you skinny fat but, despite your success (stated) in abandoning that protocol, you still come back to it as your basis.

how much pure lean muscle do you honestly think you're building day to day ???

how much did you build last year for the whole year?

i'm targetting you here, but these are questions any experienced bbers (past 2 years training) can answer for themselves.

how many guys/gals (or lads and lasses in Tatyanna's case) here go to the gym, pound the weights, get their daily quotient of rem sleep, take all the (natural) supps, eat the above macros every single day and can honestly say that they have built more than 5lbs of pure muscle tissue (discounting fat and water retention) since Dec 18th 2006?

so, if you did actually gain 5lbs of muscle tissue (and most wouldn't have if they are allowing for an honest assessment), how much of a difference did that 300/400/500+ grams of protein, etc with all the added stuff (apart from drugs. let's keep the variables simple for now. anabolics, growth, insulin, etc are a completely different animal) make in your progress or lack thereof.

i'm asking these questions, not to seem arrogant or imply that anyone is a failure. to the contrary, i admire anyone who has been able to keep hitting the gym year after year, depite the bombardment of disingenuous propoganda spewed out by the industry through their media and advertisements, that if you're not gaining 30lbs of muscle a year you're a loser.

the simple fact is that the industry itself is just one big advertisement for (natural) supplements and always has been, where they fraudulently use athletes while having full knowledge that said supplements have as much to do with their success as taking a dump in the morning.

here we can all see in this very thread and within this thread an intelligent person (240 - sorry) that is so brainwashed by the industry that, despite his own insight, still chooses to repeat his nonsensical reasoning on macro/micro nutrients.

of course, when one of these industry victims are ever questioned, they simply refer to the success of comp bbers (who we all know use drugs). with that type of logic everyone is left to ponder, bbers remain slaves to the dogma and supplement company chiefs go out and buy a new ferrari.

there was a time, for a long time (longer than bbing has been around) where the world and all it's great scientists absolutely believed that the world was flat simply because they never questioned this "fact".

when someone came along and questioned the fact, all the great scientists told him it was true and how dare he question them. luckily, for us, he persisted.

Although there are exceptions, there are those who train year after year and do so naturally, who do continue to gain actual muscle mass each and every year...but they are few and far between.

Anyway, nice post and for the most part I agree.

Stavios

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 08:11:11 PM »
I eat at Mcdonald everyday and I eat a lot of junk between meals

off-season means off-season  8)

if I stay lean, I stay small

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2007, 08:58:39 PM »
I went out to lunch yesterday at a local burger place with some friends. They got pastrami sandwiches with french fries. I said, what the heck, give me the same thing. I felt like crap all day! Stick with the chicken, rice and veggies. You just feel better.

Thanks Freak! (that seriously helped)

Mike

Spoony Luv

• Getbig IV
  • FROM UP ABOVE!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2007, 03:55:12 AM »
Im spending all this money (like $30..00 a day just on meats)
eating every 2 hours..............cardi o twice a day
cranky like a bitch (keep getting sick cause my immune system is shot)

and for what?!?!?..............a plastic trophy/pat on the back
im never going to be a pro...............why not just eat "regular"

what is wrong with me that i do this?!?!?!?!?!?

the quicker you can get to the point where you realise that bodybuilding is a disease that takes over your life that better you will live yours...You don't need to jump on stage to be worthy as a "bodybuilder"..In fact now that you have done just that, you can do the opposite...You can put your time and energy into something else but still have close to the same body as you have now and do so without the gear...

All you have to do is get yourself into speed training and eating clean 5 days a week...When guys are killing themselves in the gym and eating 300 plus grams of protein, you can seemingly half ass it in the gym and eat 200 grams of protein and still be in very good shape...And put your energy into doing something for your future instead of the present...Easier said then done of course..

For here on out you are always going to be a big dude compared to the average joe...(as long as you have your health of course)...Bodybuilding (for the most part) is a dead end in life...

You don't need a goal in life to have control...I almost think its funner to get alittle out of shape once in awhile(although not the healthiest)and then get back into shape...People notice it more and you do also...Sometimes i believe that the mirror is the devil looking back at you laughing at your mental illness...

The great Arnold was a multiple Mr. OLYmpia winner...And to get there, he lived and breathed bodybuilding for many many years...But he moved on to something else later on in life...He is inspirational in so many ways...I'm sure in his heart he will always be a bodybuilder, but my guess is he doesn't spend half a dozen times with his shirt off in the mirror each day...And he is a better man because of it...I'm sure when he can't all his protein in-in a day, he doesn't carry on about it like it was some big mistake and that he will do better tomorrow...

The smart ones in and around the sport, move on...They still stay in shape but they realise its just to much selfishness to be part of...

The quicker you can move away from counting every calorie and not beating yourself up for missing a silly workout, the better you will become as a human being...

And the biggest advice i can give you is NEVER EVER BECOME LIKE BLOCKHEAD...That is never be a name dropping nobody who is dying to get notice on the airways and does so be telling tales about people he doesn't even know...

That is as sad as it comes...that and of course plunking you brows and pumping out just to go watch a show...WTF...If Blockhead was to play craps in vegas and he rolled the dice, it would always come up LOSER...Which is 12 notches below snake eyes.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2007, 07:39:34 AM »
Im 21 weeks out right now and im gonna try to absolutely not cheat at all. Im going to stock up on tilapia next week, and that will be basically my major protein source until May 10th...

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2007, 07:57:54 AM »
I eat at Mcdonald everyday and I eat a lot of junk between meals

off-season means off-season  8)

if I stay lean, I stay small

here's me at 220 in morning...and then 3 weeks later (just 2 days ago actually) same pose at 215 pounds...after not having any real big cheats for those 3 weeks...

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2007, 08:51:56 AM »
Im spending all this money (like $30..00 a day just on meats)
eating every 2 hours..............cardi o twice a day
cranky like a bitch (keep getting sick cause my immune system is shot)

and for what?!?!?..............a plastic trophy/pat on the back
im never going to be a pro...............why not just eat "regular"

what is wrong with me that i do this?!?!?!?!?!?

This goes through my head daily.  But then i think about the amount of ppl in society that look like absolute slobs....not to mention the health problems associated with it........hang in there Mike

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2007, 09:17:14 AM »
This goes through my head daily.  But then i think about the amount of ppl in society that look like absolute slobs....not to mention the health problems associated with it........hang in there Mike

junk food and shit will always be around to tempt you...but don't feel like you're missing out by not having it.
the window to look great gets smaller and smaller for each moment you chose not to do so.

i'd rather put my time towards something productive.
i agree with what you said.

Food gives you > comfort...then a whole bunch of problems...weight,diabetes,low self esteem, people laugh at you and think you're ugly....on and on.

Training > is almost the opposite...think of the benefits VS the problems it poses in your life? seems like a no-brainer.

great health...self esteem, good energy levels, breathe well, less risk of "x" diseases or disorders... not to mention the attention and respect it gets you...people look up to you...(depending on how impressive you are to them) they ask you for advice...encourage you...etc..
all at what price to pay? a few selective foods in your diet that might be "boring" training in the gym a few times a week...so what?! small price to pay for so much in the end...

my 2 cents...

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 02:41:06 PM »
here's me at 220 in morning...and then 3 weeks later (just 2 days ago actually) same pose at 215 pounds...after not having any real big cheats for those 3 weeks...

Thats a nice improvement over 3 weeks.. Are you surprised at only losing 5 lbs in 3 weeks? I would be pissed off..Are you dieting hard? Or just eating clean and no cardio? But definately lot sharper, bravo keep it going

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2007, 05:44:17 AM »
Thats a nice improvement over 3 weeks.. Are you surprised at only losing 5 lbs in 3 weeks? I would be pissed off..Are you dieting hard? Or just eating clean and no cardio? But definately lot sharper, bravo keep it going

eating clean...no major cheats...maybe a think piece of cake on one saturday...and a bit of mayo on my chicken another day etc...

no im not surprised...
it was mostly water retention i guess...i've been sweating like a hog in the gym...and usually thats when my body's carrying extra water.
might have been sodium intake...or wtv, i havn't dropped carbs so it's not a question of lessening my intake of anything...

cardio is always steady for me, but not excessive...maybe 1x 40 min session in one week, and 10 mins after training 4 or 5 times a week...nothing more.

im just happy that im able to keep myself close to what i like to call my "10 weeks out look" which basically keeps me right on borderline of having a great off-season, but also ready to start a contest prep without having to shed much fat.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2007, 05:48:40 AM »
eating clean...no major cheats...maybe a think piece of cake on one saturday...and a bit of mayo on my chicken another day etc...

no im not surprised...
it was mostly water retention i guess...i've been sweating like a hog in the gym...and usually thats when my body's carrying extra water.
might have been sodium intake...or wtv, i havn't dropped carbs so it's not a question of lessening my intake of anything...

cardio is always steady for me, but not excessive...maybe 1x 40 min session in one week, and 10 mins after training 4 or 5 times a week...nothing more.

im just happy that im able to keep myself close to what i like to call my "10 weeks out look" which basically keeps me right on borderline of having a great off-season, but also ready to start a contest prep without having to shed much fat.

you have some good size on the quads and a wide structure with decent chest.

don't know what you're doing for those arms (including forearms) but it's not working.

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2007, 07:20:36 AM »
you have some good size on the quads and a wide structure with decent chest.

don't know what you're doing for those arms (including forearms) but it's not working.

believe me it's the biggest bitch...i know!!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2007, 07:26:28 AM »
believe me it's the biggest bitch...i know!!

maybe it's just your wide structure that makes them look slimmer, but in any case they're a problem that will have to be addressed some how if you're going to be competitive on any stage.

your back looks good too and you've got a good taper and structure ie good potenital for the x frame (waist a a teeny bit wide but not a problem yet). have you got any contest pics so we can see how the arms shape up come contest time?