Author Topic: Finally a Smart Dem With Commonsense  (Read 1224 times)

joelocal

Finally a Smart Dem With Commonsense
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:23:20 PM »
Can't believe no one started a thread about this....

HILLSBOROUGH, N.H. (AP) - The Democratic vice presidential nominee in 2000 endorsed Republican John McCain for president on
Monday, scandalizing Democrats in Washington and giving the GOP hopeful a much-needed boost in New Hampshire where independents outnumber Republicans and Democrats.
Sen. Joseph Lieberman, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, said he chose his longtime Senate colleague because he has the best shot of breaking partisan gridlock in Washington. Both men also are strong and vocal supporters of the war in Iraq.

"On all the issues, you're never going to do anything about them unless you have a leader who can break through the partisan gridlock," said Lieberman, who was Al Gore's running mate seven years ago. "The status quo in Washington is not working."

Independents hold considerable sway in New Hampshire's first-in-the- nation primary on Jan. 8, and they helped McCain win the state's Republican primary in 2000 over George W. Bush. As of March of this year, voters who are independent—undeclared is the official term—accounted for 44 percent, compared with 30 percent Republican and 26 percent Democrat.

Traveling with Lieberman Monday morning to Hillsborough's American Legion hall, McCain said the Connecticut senator is his answer to the people he hears in every town hall meeting who ask, "Why can't you all work together?"

Lieberman said McCain's approach to Iraq and his credentials on national security are the main reasons he is supporting a Republican for president.

But both men said the election seems increasingly about the economy and domestic issues rather than Iraq. On those issues, Lieberman acknowledged he does not always see eye-to-eye with his 2008 pick. But, said Lieberman, McCain is always straightforward about where he stands.

Leading Democrats weren't happy with his latest move.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said in a statement: "I have the greatest respect for Joe, but I simply have to disagree with his decision to endorse Senator McCain."

Al From, the founder and CEO of the centrist Democratic Leadership Council, said, "I am very saddened by Senator Lieberman's choice and profoundly disagree with it. We need to elect a Democratic president in 2008."

For McCain, behind in the polls here but gaining, the endorsement carries the risk of alienating conservatives who have been critical of his support for immigration and campaign finance reforms.

"If I get some criticism for aligning myself with a good friend I have worked with for many years, I will be more than happy to accept that criticism," McCain said.

For Lieberman, it marks another turn away from the Democrats.

"Political party is important, but it's not more important than what's good for the country and it's not more important than friendship," Lieberman said.

Lieberman won re-election to the Senate in 2006 as an independent, after losing the Democratic primary to upstart Ned Lamont largely because of his support for the war. High-profile Democrats abandoned him after the primary defeat, including his Connecticut colleague, Sen. Chris Dodd.

Although Dodd also is seeking the presidency, Lieberman backed McCain. He said he had intended to wait until after the primaries to make a choice for the 2008 presidential race, but McCain asked for his support and no Democrat did.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TJBU3G0&show_article=1

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Finally a Smart Dem With Commonsense
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
The majority of this country is anti-war.  He admitted that no dem even WANTED his endorsement bcause he loves bush's war.

Good for lieberman for sticking with his beliefs.  Is he disloyal to his party?  Sure.  Did McCain just pick up a bush stamp that not even Mike Gravel wanted? LOL... sure!

joelocal

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 07:31:10 PM »
  Is he disloyal to his party?  Sure. 

No....the ONE issue that he agrees with most republicans on and he basically get tossed......I'd have to say the Dem party wasn't loyal to him.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »
No....the ONE issue that he agrees with most republicans on and he basically get tossed......I'd have to say the Dem party wasn't loyal to him.

That one issue is the #1 issue in America.
That one issue is despised by 75% of Americans.
That one issue cost us one trillion dollars.
That one issue increased jihadists in Iraq four-fold in 4 years.
That one issue cost the US credibility worldwide.

So um, yeah, that issue is kinda more important than his stance on amything else.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:36:40 PM »

He wasn't booted by the democrats, he left them.

Gee, how many screen names you gonna have?
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 07:37:05 PM »

True.  Also, he doesn't have a party.  He was elected as an independent.  

joelocal

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »
He wasn't booted by the democrats, he left them.

I said basically......he left because he was smart.

joelocal

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »

Dunno....but hey, at least there not gimmicks :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
I said basically......he left because he was smart.

No, you said he was tossed.:

he basically get tossed......

Liebermann is a neocon who had to stay liberal on domestic issues to keep his job all those years.  I don't think anyone can really prove otherwise.  He is all about US domination of the middle east, and all about big govt social programs here.

Joe, I thought you'd be disgusted by Lieberman's super-lib views on domestic America.  How open-minded of you :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 08:18:21 PM »
Can't believe no one started a thread about this....

I mentioned this yesterday (Lieberman endorsing McCain) and I've been predicting the rise of McCain and a possible McCain/Huck ticket for awhile now

Guiliani and Romney have big problems 

McCain has a lot of assets which are all legitimate.... he's got strong defense cred, strong on legislative experience, loyal (i.e will play ball with his corporate overlords), he's gone out of his way to suck up to the christian mulla's, etc..

Huck - his best assets are that he's smart and eloquent, he easily appeals to most people and especially to the religious right and ....we don't really know that much about him, i.e relatively small amount of baggage .....as far as we know.   

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:00:12 PM »
Dunno....but hey, at least there not gimmicks :D

{lol} Ok, I'll grant you that.  :)
w

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:09:13 PM »
I mentioned this yesterday (Lieberman endorsing McCain) and I've been predicting the rise of McCain and a possible McCain/Huck ticket for awhile now

Guiliani and Romney have big problems 

McCain has a lot of assets which are all legitimate.... he's got strong defence cred, strong on legislative experience, loyal (i.e will play ball with his corporate overlords), he's gone out of his way to suck up to the christian mulah's, etc..

Huck - his best assets are that he's smart and eloquent, he easily appeals to most people and especially to the religious right and ....we don't really know that much about him, i.e relatively small amount of baggage .....as far as we know.   

Huckabee's got problems.  He paroled a rapist while governor of Arkansas as a sop to right wingers calling for his release. The victim of this rapist was a distant Clinton relative.

After his parole, this guy raped and murdered two more women.  Some would argue that Huckabee's craven political move makes him responsible for their deaths.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:33:41 PM »
Huckabee's got problems.  He paroled a rapist while governor of Arkansas as a sop to right wingers calling for his release. The victim of this rapist was a distant Clinton relative.

After his parole, this guy raped and murdered two more women.  Some would argue that Huckabee's craven political move makes him responsible for their deaths.

Hucks' got a lot of problems but most people don't know about them and he's a likable guy

perfect to balance the ticket

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 10:02:26 PM »
Hucks' got a lot of problems but most people don't know about them and he's a likable guy

perfect to balance the ticket

What I can't figure out is how he's able to get away with those juvenile "Chuck Norris" ads

HELLO?! I mean, ...it's like he thinks the only people voting are 17 yr old boys.

After the fiasco of the last few years, you'd think the American public would get tired of choosing candidates who ran their election platforms like frat boys and started acting like statesmen. Can't blame him though... afterall, let's face it, ...the bar has really been lowered alot lately.  :-\
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 10:16:48 PM »
It's all speculation on my part but without any risk or gain

just for fun

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 07:20:45 AM »
welcome back Joe!

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 07:36:46 AM »
I wouldn't put much trust or credibility to a man whose loyalty to the US is only second-best.  Very sneaky(and smart) of him to move as an Independant.  Like 240 said, this man is a bonified Neo-Con when it comes to foreign policy and pro-big government, big bureaucracy on the homefront.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 08:44:23 AM »
42. Joe Lieberman

Charges: For a brief, shining moment in ‘06, it looked like the nation might finally be rid of this sniveling sitzpinkler, but Joe Lieberman just keeps coming back, like herpes. Now Lieberman is an unknown quantity and subsequently the most powerful vote in the Senate. Routinely scolds Democrats for "undermining" the president, whose balls have resided in Lieberman's mouth since 9/11.

Exhibit A: "Our troops believe they can win, and that's important."

Sentence: Malfunctioning Connecticut-manufactured artillery shells coat Lieberman with white phosphorus at next Iraq photo op.

http://www.buffalobeast.com/113/50_most_loathsome_2006.htm

I can't wait for the 2007 list of 50 most loathsome people.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 10:00:12 AM »
Lieberman is a snake and he sure seems cozy with Bush

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3779562861036897338