Author Topic: Toronto girls................and guys  (Read 8351 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Toronto girls................and guys
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 05:35:38 AM »
Linda, im not saying anything bad, just mentioning that i found it pretty shocking to see so many immigrants.

That's very shocking for most people. Once they get used to it though, ...they absolutely love it!

I can remember travellling to Chicago & NY 96, and found it soooo incredibly strange. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but something seemed OFF. Then i realized what it was. Everything was sooo segregated (relatively speaking) You'd be in one neighbourhood, and it would be completely mono-ethnic for blocks on end, then into another neighbourhood, and it was the same thing. As a Torontonian, I'm used to seeing so many races, and ethnicities in the span of 5 mins.

I met a person over there who told me its pretty easy for everyone to go there and get a visa, live there and such. I just wonder if that wont become a problem in the future.

It's easier for well educated citizens from some countries. Not as easy for others.

As for the rest, toronto looked like just another american city to me,

Only on the surface. Our charm goes waaaay deeper than that. years ago when discussing the proliferation of film American productions in Canada, Kevin Sorbo once said "They come for the cheaper dollar, ...but that's not why they keep coming back, ...and it's not why they stay"

but cant deny the pizzas are great.

And as i said before, i saw some really nice looking girls which were a sort of mixed races, pretty nice

Supposedly Toronto pizza is better than any pizza you can get in Italy.
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 11:11:46 AM »
We have some of the best wooden oven made pizzas around. Again you have to know where to go. I have noticed that the original "Little Italy" which is the college st & grace st area is not the same as it used to be. Same with st.clair and dufferin. But they have the best patios if you want to chill and have a drink in the summer.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 01:44:49 PM »
I've been living in Toronto my whole life. How long have you been here?

You've not read the thread, i think about 3 or 5 posts in, i stated that i moved away many years ago.  But I lived there for 17 years and grew up there, so consider myself Torontonian...

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 04:26:11 PM »
Yorkville isn't what it used to be. Used to be the place to be, ...now it's just the home of overly pretentious snobs
I know, I lived there for a few years. Harbourfront is where it's at... home of the defunct millionaire!
They've had enough money to know how to enjoy the good life, ...but lost so much of it, ...they're now humble.  :D

oh judi, i so knew you had a condo overlooking the lake.  i thought i knew where you lived (somehow in my getbig dreams, late at night).  I can see you now in your gorgeous happy penthouse...  one of the wonderful buildings on the left on that fantastic highway which I can't remember the name of on the way out of town? 

The view coming back home driving extremely fast on that motorway is one of my most favourite memories.

xL

it's not the 401 or the DonValleyParkway, it's the...

it's the Queen something, no?  I haven't been back for 15 years.  I can't remember. 

I worked at the Royal York then the Hyatt then the Harbour Castle in my teens, then I discovered there was more money to be made in the PR and publishing industry. 

I thought Deedee outed herself as a regular in TO?  didn't you?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 03:47:53 AM »

oh judi, i so knew you had a condo overlooking the lake.  i thought i knew where you lived (somehow in my getbig dreams, late at night).  I can see you now in your gorgeous happy penthouse...  one of the wonderful buildings on the left on that fantastic highway which I can't remember the name of on the way out of town? 

The view coming back home driving extremely fast on that motorway is one of my most favourite memories.

xL

it's not the 401 or the DonValleyParkway, it's the...

it's the Queen something, no?  I haven't been back for 15 years.  I can't remember. 

I worked at the Royal York then the Hyatt then the Harbour Castle in my teens, then I discovered there was more money to be made in the PR and publishing industry. 

I thought Deedee outed herself as a regular in TO?  didn't you?

No, no penthouse for me. I did the Bay Street highrise for a few years, then moved to Harbourfront.
I no longer live at Harbourfront, but it's still the best part of TO in my opinion. I'm way out in suburbia now.  :)

You're probably thinking of the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way)
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 05:22:58 AM »
No, no penthouse for me. I did the Bay Street highrise for a few years, then moved to Harbourfront.
I no longer live at Harbourfront, but it's still the best part of TO in my opinion. I'm way out in suburbia now.  :)

You're probably thinking of the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way)
You where right in the heart of the city, Jag. Thats pretty cool. I couldn't live in the heart of the city. Harbourfront area is great. Lots of things to do in the summer time. Although I love to frequent it often. I have always lived in the suburbs of Toronto.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 06:39:38 AM »
You where right in the heart of the city, Jag. Thats pretty cool. I couldn't live in the heart of the city. Harbourfront area is great. Lots of things to do in the summer time. Although I love to frequent it often. I have always lived in the suburbs of Toronto.

I grew up in the burbs, ...which demanded that when I got my own place, it was located at Bay & Bloor.  ;D
Yorkville is the best in terms of plenty of things to do winter or summer. Everything was at your door step, and anywhere you possibly wanted or needed to go was less than a $10 cab ride in any direction. But one can only take so many "beautiful people" for only so long. Harbourfront was good except for when all the suburbanites converged on it in the summer.  ;D

Now, ...out here, ...God forbid the cable goes out, or you run out of sugar, because you'll be counting birds, and squirrells just to pass the time.
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 07:26:49 AM »
I grew up in the burbs, ...which demanded that when I got my own place, it was located at Bay & Bloor.  ;D
Yorkville is the best in terms of plenty of things to do winter or summer. Everything was at your door step, and anywhere you possibly wanted or needed to go was less than a $10 cab ride in any direction. But one can only take so many "beautiful people" for only so long. Harbourfront was good except for when all the suburbanites converged on it in the summer.  ;D

Now, ...out here, ...God forbid the cable goes out, or you run out of sugar, because you'll be counting birds, and squirrells just to pass the time.
Thats why I love where I am right now. I have every major hwy at my convienience. 401, 410, 427 and 403. I can get anywhere very quickly. Back in our youthfull clubbing days, a cab ride to the heart of the city was 30 bucks. To give you a better idea....I used to catch the hwy at 427 & Burnhamthorpe Rd which is about 8 minutes from my house. Then get off at Spadina and boom your there.

I hear you on the 5-10 buck cab rides downtown. When you live in the heart of the city, having a car is useless. You can commute everywhere quite easily and efficiantly. You have cabs, subway and street cars / buses at your convienence. That's awesome though. I never knew yo lived in that Bay & Bloor area. Very nice, Jag. Are you sure we haven't crossed paths before?  :P

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2007, 08:29:39 AM »
Thats why I love where I am right now. I have every major hwy at my convienience. 401, 410, 427 and 403. I can get anywhere very quickly. Back in our youthfull clubbing days, a cab ride to the heart of the city was 30 bucks. To give you a better idea....I used to catch the hwy at 427 & Burnhamthorpe Rd which is about 8 minutes from my house. Then get off at Spadina and boom your there.

I hear you on the 5-10 buck cab rides downtown. When you live in the heart of the city, having a car is useless. You can commute everywhere quite easily and efficiantly. You have cabs, subway and street cars / buses at your convienence. That's awesome though. I never knew yo lived in that Bay & Bloor area. Very nice, Jag. Are you sure we haven't crossed paths before?  :P

From Bay & Bloor, a cab ride to the original CineSpace Studios on Eastern Ave was $8 something. Having a car in the city was not only useless, it was a pain in the butt. you could never park it anywhere. I remember just walking outside my front door, raising my hand in the air, and there would be 5 cabs trying to pick you up. When I lived at Harbourfront, in addition to the 3 separate cab stands, down there, the Rapid Transit in front of the door, our condo also had it's own private shuttle bus that went all over town. Took a different route each day and operated from 7am - 7pm. so getting around was easy. If you're ever at Union Station in the morning, you'll see these white unmarked shuttles picking up and dropping off people every 10 mins.

Yep I lived at Bay & Bloor, ...back when Tom Creed still had his store. and I don't know if we've ever met. I find it hard to believe that anyone could be living and or partying in Yorkville and not cross paths with someone at least once or twice.
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »
Methinks Playbuddy is perhaps 19.

Tom Creed, what happened to him?  Did he waste away his family fortune?  Did he get married and have kids?  (Or was he already married with kids, I can't remember).  He was a bit short and extremely young and silly when he inherited.  Did he sell out?  I bet he did.  He wasn't very nice at all.  I thought him shifty and slimey, to put it politely.

I wonder...

Judi, you and I must have met, that seems a certainty.  Although I was always just someone's friend or someone's PA.  I was purposely never A-list on my own.

I'm still googling old Toronto mates.  Yesterday I found Robert Ramsay.  He and I were great friends.  According to the internet, he crashed and burned on coke then made good.  I've written down his mantra:  Get help now, do not delay.  One day I'm going to come back and say hi again to all the fantastic Toronto celebrities I knew in their heydays.

Also Susan and Lorraine.  I'd love to talk to them again.  Googled them and they've done great.  Jon Kares, he was another fantastic friend.  He used to read the news on the CBC and now he has a communications firm.  John Karkoukolas now runs all the best restaurants in town?   Trouble is they all look so incredibly wrinkly & I still look exactly the same.  If I'm coming back, I'd better do it before I get old.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2007, 11:22:19 AM »

Tom Creed, what happened to him?  Did he waste away his family fortune?  Did he get married and have kids?  (Or was he already married with kids, I can't remember).  He was a bit short and extremely young and silly when he inherited.  Did he sell out?  I bet he did.  He wasn't very nice at all.  I thought him shifty and slimey, to put it politely.

I wonder...

Judi, you and I must have met, that seems a certainty.  Although I was always just someone's friend or someone's PA.  I was purposely never A-list.
I'm 33 years old....thank you.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2007, 05:11:34 PM »

I wonder...

The recession of the late 80's early 90's kicked in. Holt's renovated and got all flashy across the street from him.
Alot of businesses you might know and remember got wiped out then. Alan Cherry almost did, but I knew his landlord, who let him, and quite a few other Yorkville businesses keep going. He had plenty of cash reserves, so the recession for him was simply a mad Boxing Day spree as he grabbed up properties left right & centre. He let Alan stay in business, even after that nasty setback where he got dinged by the city $100K I think for passing off lightweight male skins as females, and minks for sables. With the help of Jeanne Beker, and all the publicity he was getting as clothing supplier to FT, eventually Alan recovered was able to turn it around, and is now in Yorkville in Hazelton Lanes at the corner of Avenue Rd. His old Yonge Street location became a bargain book store. I'm not sure what it is these days. I rarely visit that part of Yonge anymore. Mulroney ushered in the GST, and with an immediate 15% visibly tacked onto all purchases, many retailers couldn't hang on. Bretton's made a big splash onto the scene, becoming the anchor store for the Manulife Centre. It held on just long enough to drive Creeds out of business before it too went under. Last I heard, it was an Indigo bookstore. Eventually Creeds went out of business, William Ashley expanded it's space into what was Creeds, and Tom saw the light.

He joined the ranks of entrepreneurs who wanted the income and lifestyle a multimillion dollar business brings, without the hassles & headaches associated with a traditional multimillion dollar brick & mortar business ...like tying up your capital in millions of dollars in inventories, or accounts receivables you're unable to collect. He was sick of being tied to his store 12 hrs a day, and became an independent distributor in the network marketing industry, representing a product line from a Utah based company call NuSkin. At the time alphahydroxy acids, retinols, vitamin A acids, antioxydant skincare etc was new and revolutionary, and the first batch of baby boomers were starting to see those first few wrinkles. For the first time, skincare actually improved a person's skin, reversed signs of aging, and wasn't just greasy lubricants slathered onto the skin. No one else had that kind of skincare technology, and the only way you could get it was through a NuSkin distributor. He joined the ranks of NuSkin, just as they were hitting their critical mass point and going into momemtum, where the sales went from $4 million a month to over $40. Nowadays, it's hard to find any skincare not using this technology, but at the time it was cutting edge, and it's introduction into the marketplace turned many ordinary people into multi-millionaires. Today, NuSkin is a huge entity traded on the NY Stock exchange doing billions of dollars a year in sales. I have a few friends that are still earning monthly residual cheques from their NuSkin businesses they started over 17 yrs ago, and haven't done a thing with in the past 12 yrs.

Judi, you and I must have met, that seems a certainty.  Although I was always just someone's friend or someone's PA.  I was purposely never A-list on my own.

I'm thinking the same thing. We had to have crossed paths at some point.
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2007, 05:35:17 PM »
Trelawny Howell.  Did you or do you know her?  She now sells real estate.  Her real name is Linda but she changed it. 

Bet she invested.  I'll get in touch with her again one day, that would be fun.  I googled her.  We used to work together on a couple of trendy magazines.  We even went to the UofT gym together, she'd pick me up on her scooter   ...She pulled the gorgeous bloke who was leading our workout.  But the following week he came onto me, which was disgusting.

I googled Jerry Goodis and he died.  It was his silver Jag I drove up and down the Don Valley Parkway many times, extremely fast, on the way there and back to see the people at Porshe/Audi/Volkwagen.
xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2007, 05:48:47 PM »

Molly Johnson became almost famous here in England this year, (well she got a brilliant bit of press, a great writeup about her latest recording).  At least she did and is doing well.

xL

If I start talking about my Carol Pope and Dusty Springfield (and Long John Baldry) stories we'll be here forever...  I was at a party once where Baldry...

Judi?  you asked once when I told my Mel story whether I'd also met someone else.  Didn't get the name, sorry, I forgot.

I once worked a day or two at an Anne Murray video shoot, it was at Trelawny's apartment on Maple.  Does that date me?  It was a gorgeous song which I cannot remember.

Joni Mitchell was on the BBC news talkshow here the other day, she sang Put Up A Parking Lot, Big Yellow Taxi, 30 years later >>>and it's historic.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2007, 05:25:52 PM »
Linda,

None of those names you mentioned sound familiar, (except Anne Murray, & Joni Mitchell) but those are iconic.

As for Carol Pope, ...well, when I think of her, I get very skeered. I once found out my goodie two shoes older sister used to occassionally swing into Toronto to catch her in concert with all the other little "goody two-shoes" from her all girl's college.  :o

The only Dusty I'm familiar with is the one who founded TIFF. I don't think they're the same Dustys.

One person we may know in common was David. I can't remember his last name, but he was a Yorkville fixture for years. He drove a motorcycle, and had a full huge head of the most adorable angelic blond ringlets you ever saw. I ran into him in 92 when he came into my company applying for a job. I almost didn't recognize the guy. Infact, I didn't recognize him. It was his last name on the resume I recognized, and I had to look closer at the man sitting across the desk from me. Turns out it was him. He'd cut off all his gorgeous ringlets.  :'(

Did you know Jerry D the diamond broker who lived in the Colonnade?
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 08:58:42 AM »
Was that the guy who owned 3 or 5 or 10 of the Colonnade apartments and most of the retail?   Then helped build 2 Bloor West or whatever they called it when they knocked down the lovely men's shop?

I thought his name was...  Did he have a ranch up north?  That was what he told me.  When he started banging on about the diamond mines in his fake South African "I've been to a proper school in England accent) my eyes glazed over.  I think I met him 5 or 10 times at least.  I was even nice to him once but completely hated his attitude. 

I can look it up.  I have collected (and have brought home with me), every single business card anyone ever gave to me.  I still have a $100 note with someone's phone number on it, that was the best.  I collect names but cannot remember them.  That and I tend to forget unless someone reminds me. 

I even remember the address & that was more than 20 years ago.  It's 131 Bloor.  Robert R_____ was there too.  Easy to find.

I set a girlfriend up with that mad guy you're asking about and even she said no thanks.  Please don't tell me you married him....   (joke !!!

Whatever happened to him?  Don't tell me he still thinks he's hot. You never know. Either that or he's married with 3 ugly kids and 2 mad wives.

xL

I spoke to my old friend I've known for 30 years during the holidays.  He lives in Richmond Hill and visits TO occasionally as he has to look after his elderly and ill Mum.

He ran into Michael D______ at Hazelton Lanes in the sales.  Fancy that.  Paul even gave him my number.  (People are impressed if you move)

If I get a phone call from that drama queen I'm finished.  It gets worse.  Paul also ran into my bestest oldest boyfriend, the one I should never have left.  He's divorced now apparantly.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2008, 05:33:52 AM »
Was that the guy who owned 3 or 5 or 10 of the Colonnade apartments and most of the retail?   Then helped build 2 Bloor West or whatever they called it when they knocked down the lovely men's shop?

hmmmm... I don't think we're talking about the same guy, ...unless you're merging a few guys into one.

The diamond broker didn't have a few different apartments, and he certainly wasn't into real estate developing.
The guy that I knew that did have a few places there, and who did do some major development in that area is a real mensch. An absolute sweetheart of a man who is the epitome of a gentleman. You have to know who he is, he's been there for years. He was involved in that huge never ending lawsuit over a piece of property that lasted for decades LITERALLY! With the amount he spent in lawyers fees, and court fees, he could have bought the property 3 times over. He eventually won though, ...the suit lasted so long, ...that eventually the other guy died, ...otherwise I'm sure it would still be going on to this day. I don't want to mention his name publicly, ...but his sister lives in a penthouse at the Four Seasons. You have to know him.

btw - I didn't even know Harry Rosen changed locations. That's how long it's been since I've hung out in Yorkville, or was Mr. Mo's the men's shop you were referring to? If so, I wouldn't be surprised. That guy owns most of Yorkville and Queen W.

I thought his name was...  Did he have a ranch up north?  That was what he told me.  When he started banging on about the diamond mines in his fake South African "I've been to a proper school in England accent) my eyes glazed over.  I think I met him 5 or 10 times at least.  I was even nice to him once but completely hated his attitude.

Ok, we're not talking about the same guy. None of the guys I'm referring to ever spoke with a S. African accent. 

I can look it up.  I have collected (and have brought home with me), every single business card anyone ever gave to me.  I still have a $100 note with someone's phone number on it, that was the best.  I collect names but cannot remember them.  That and I tend to forget unless someone reminds me.

Something I've often done is to immediately pencil in my initial impressions about the person as well as the date I received the card on the back. You'd be surprised how something so small can jog your memory about a person. 

I even remember the address & that was more than 20 years ago.  It's 131 Bloor.  Robert R_____ was there too.  Easy to find.

I set a girlfriend up with that mad guy you're asking about and even she said no thanks.  Please don't tell me you married him....   (joke !!!

Whatever happened to him?  Don't tell me he still thinks he's hot. You never know. Either that or he's married with 3 ugly kids and 2 mad wives.

xL

I spoke to my old friend I've known for 30 years during the holidays.  He lives in Richmond Hill and visits TO occasionally as he has to look after his elderly and ill Mum.

He ran into Michael D______ at Hazelton Lanes in the sales.  Fancy that.  Paul even gave him my number.  (People are impressed if you move)

If I get a phone call from that drama queen I'm finished.  It gets worse.  Paul also ran into my bestest oldest boyfriend, the one I should never have left.  He's divorced now apparantly.

Those names don't ring any bells.
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »
Do you know, that's perhaps for the best.

I left many years ago and half of my friends are now dead (In fact I gave up when my best hetero girlfriend died of Aids).

You are now the young generation taking care of that fantastic city, living in one of the best places on God's gorgeous earth, and i hope to return one day to see what it's like !

xxxL
madly

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2008, 08:50:45 AM »
Would you believe that if poured rain here in Toronto last Night? In the middle of January......unbelievabl e.

w8m8

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »

He ran into Michael Daniels at Hazelton Lanes in the sales.  Fancy that.  Paul even gave him my number.  (People are impressed if you move)

here's me thinking that would make you feel better
not quite understanding why you say "It gets worse"

unless it's the reference to "Paul" and we all already know how worse that makes everything    :-X   the name just makes me shudder  :o

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »
here's me thinking

Love your accent.  You sound like me.

xL

AllisonEthier

• Getbig I
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2008, 01:40:54 PM »
who else is from Toronto other than:

Myself,
Playboy,
jaguarenterprises,

I live in Quebec, does that count?
Upper and lower Canada...
A.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2008, 12:19:28 AM »
A.

Bonjour! Welcome to the Girly board?
What part of Quebec are you from?
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 05:42:42 AM »
A.
Welcome aboard!  :)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2008, 12:16:59 PM »
sideways?  I don't think Quebecois count as Torontonians.

Granted, Canada is practically unheard of in the great scheme of things (which is what I love about Canada).

But no, if you live in Quebec you are not a Toronto Girl or Guy.  I don't know.  Do we give people points if they've visited?

xL