Author Topic: Too late to start?  (Read 1821 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
Too late to start?
« on: December 18, 2007, 08:30:28 PM »
I want to start PLing in the Baltimore area.  Im almost 24 yrs old and recently suffered from "severe muscle strain" in my lower back to which I am currently undergoing physical therapy. 

Is it too late for me to start and how long should I wait before starting up again?

I'm a natty and plan on staying that way.. is this realistic?

Any tips?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Too late to start?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »
I want to start PLing in the Baltimore area.  Im almost 24 yrs old and recently suffered from "severe muscle strain" in my lower back to which I am currently undergoing physical therapy. 

Is it too late for me to start and how long should I wait before starting up again?

I'm a natty and plan on staying that way.. is this realistic?

Any tips?

Why is it too late?  Get the back healed (cleared by your doctor), get into the gym and get under the bar.  Don't puss around. 

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:45:32 PM »
Heck no!! I'm 49 and can hardly move LOL.  I plan on competing more. I'm about an hour outside of Baltimore.

But anyway, Just be smart and start out slow! I would train more like a bodybuilder at first.
Masters- 50-54
148#

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 06:07:12 PM »
Heck no!! I'm 49 and can hardly move LOL.  I plan on competing more. I'm about an hour outside of Baltimore.

But anyway, Just be smart and start out slow! I would train more like a bodybuilder at first.

I have been for a few years now.  I don't have the genetics to really take it anywhere and I'm finding that training for looks isn't as fullfilling as building strength.  But I think I might have more potential as far as PLing is concerned.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:44:38 PM »
But it's good to start like a bodybuilder training wise is what I meant to say, sorry.  Then after you build a little  Foundation, work your self into a powerlifting type workout.

I always train like a bodybuilder in the off season. ( off season being when I'm not training for a meet).
Masters- 50-54
148#

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 02:57:39 PM »
It's never too late, that's why they have age classes...

Just start simple and move up slowly, try not to get injured.

8)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 04:03:34 AM »
I didn't start training for PL until I was 33. I wish i had started at 24. You have plenty of time, your best lifts are ahead of you.
sept 10th APF

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 06:56:01 AM »
I got into it a few months ago and absolutely love it and i'm only 23..a few months from 24. Get in there and getcha some! Lifes too short to wait to do something you want to do or at least try it..that way you can say you did it instead of wishing you had after waiting.