Author Topic: ISSA certification  (Read 8489 times)

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: ISSA certification
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »
Maybe, but then I'm sure we could debate all day over wether you should need to teach a client a one-legged squat/row/lunge combo on a BOSU ball to make them want to keep training with you.

My point was not in using the ball to keep the client, but using the ball to get the client.  Make the sale.  Close the deal.  Get paid.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 10:24:02 PM »
Melvin Goodrum is taking the ISSA course so it must be better than MFT and CSN combined. The ISSA course is based on the writing and input of Dr Fred Hatfield. Fred is one of the few genuine world authorities in exercise science for strength and resistance training. The course is supposed to be based on scientific bodybuilding and training. There is a lot of practical stuff included as well. If a bodybuilder takes the course he should be a reasonable instructor afterwards. Well, assuming he has some intelligence to begin with.

We get all manner of instructors applying for jobs in my gym. The most effective are bodybuilders with people skills. Those guys are worth two 'qualified' instructors any day. Students with degrees and diplomas that can't instruct advanced bodybuilders are not so qualified in my gym. I think the process of doing bodybuilding and making gains prepares one well to be an instructor. Most intelligent bodybuilders read up on nutrition and exercise science so they are well prepared for any instructor courses and might even disagree with some of the theories and practices. That is always a good thing when instructors keep an open mind about hypertrophy and effective training. There is always something more to learn both through others and training oneself.

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 12:15:02 AM »
only thing needed by anyone that enters a gym with bodybuilding and or powerlifting in mind is gh15 course of hormone intake 101-499,,when you done with those courses you will have your bachelor degree in hormone utilization and will look like a bodybuilder,,that is ALL YOU NEED,,

infact i may very well look into it when i retire depending on offers,,it will be strictly hormonal advice with adjustments to training and nutrition,,i do it better than milos and glass ,,i know about it more than milos and glass since both of them  are obident by name recognition from goverment and living on usa grounds,,

so thiis is one aspect of gh15 fame i might make money out of past retirment \,,already offers from chicago to japan,,

if you come to gym for fun and for social activity personal trainers are good,,for bodybuilding you need hormone courses directly given with no bullshit so alot of trial and error is avoided and you can reach the pro card at age 23 rather than 33
fallen angel

ChrisGlass

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 06:21:23 AM »
ISSA is solid.  I worked as a trainer for 2 years without certification when I started, 9 years ago.  After I did the course, I was a lot more versatile with exercise selection and terminology.  The reallity was, I had about the same traffic of clients.  Less than 10 people in 9 years have asked if I was a certified trainer, and I told half of them no but it didn't matter to them because I was living the lifestyle and explained how to do the right things without sounding stupid.  People skills and appearance will earn more business than specific letters behind your name.  The oral and practical part of the weekend is what made the most sense for me with ISSA.  I know too many fat ACE certified trainers who have no business coaching anybody.  If there were an 'easy' one to obtain quickly- ACE would do the trick if a club is saying you must be certified.  ISSA shows that you're taking it seriously.  Good luck.
CG

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 07:32:06 AM »
ISSA is solid.  I worked as a trainer for 2 years without certification when I started, 9 years ago.  After I did the course, I was a lot more versatile with exercise selection and terminology.  The reallity was, I had about the same traffic of clients.  Less than 10 people in 9 years have asked if I was a certified trainer, and I told half of them no but it didn't matter to them because I was living the lifestyle and explained how to do the right things without sounding stupid.  People skills and appearance will earn more business than specific letters behind your name.  The oral and practical part of the weekend is what made the most sense for me with ISSA.  I know too many fat ACE certified trainers who have no business coaching anybody.  If there were an 'easy' one to obtain quickly- ACE would do the trick if a club is saying you must be certified.  ISSA shows that you're taking it seriously.  Good luck.
CG

thanks for the tip.
people already ask me for tips, and programs etc...and they don't give a shit if im certified...they know ive competed...worked in the biz since a young age...etc..
but if i do plan to seriously go into that field, id like a nice solid foundation, and i think ISSA is it.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2007, 08:26:05 AM »
thanks for the tip.
people already ask me for tips, and programs etc...and they don't give a shit if im certified...they know ive competed...worked in the biz since a young age...etc..
but if i do plan to seriously go into that field, id like a nice solid foundation, and i think ISSA is it.

For bigger gyms requiring a certification is just a way to weed down the application pool.  Some of the guys that used to apply for trainer jobs at the 24 Hour Fitness I used to work at looked pretty good, but then if you started asking them anything about nutrition or compensation for elderly, injuries, diseases, etc, it's like you asked them to disarm the bomb with 10 blue wires.  They hired one guy for a couple days and then fired him when he tried to make an old lady do box jumps and she fell and broke her collarbone.  Guy looked a couple weeks out of contest shape, but mentally was a piece of shit.

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2007, 08:55:21 AM »
only thing needed by anyone that enters a gym with bodybuilding and or powerlifting in mind is gh15 course of hormone intake 101-499,,when you done with those courses you will have your bachelor degree in hormone utilization and will look like a bodybuilder,,that is ALL YOU NEED,,

infact i may very well look into it when i retire depending on offers,,it will be strictly hormonal advice with adjustments to training and nutrition,,i do it better than milos and glass ,,i know about it more than milos and glass since both of them  are obident by name recognition from goverment and living on usa grounds,,

so thiis is one aspect of gh15 fame i might make money out of past retirment \,,already offers from chicago to japan,,

if you come to gym for fun and for social activity personal trainers are good,,for bodybuilding you need hormone courses directly given with no bullshit so alot of trial and error is avoided and you can reach the pro card at age 23 rather than 33

so youre saying Bob Chic didnt use the proper GH regimen?

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 09:52:04 AM »
For bigger gyms requiring a certification is just a way to weed down the application pool.  Some of the guys that used to apply for trainer jobs at the 24 Hour Fitness I used to work at looked pretty good, but then if you started asking them anything about nutrition or compensation for elderly, injuries, diseases, etc, it's like you asked them to disarm the bomb with 10 blue wires.  They hired one guy for a couple days and then fired him when he tried to make an old lady do box jumps and she fell and broke her collarbone.  Guy looked a couple weeks out of contest shape, but mentally was a piece of shit.

i bet he was warming her up and gonna have her do some parking-lot lunges next... :P ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2007, 11:39:42 AM »
The only reason health clubs care about these internet certifications is that their owners feel it will protect them to an extent in a law suit. Certified is a meaningless term.  Many of these internet paper mills were started by people of questionable educational backgrounds.

If you are serious you should go to school and major in exercise physiology or even physical therapy.  Some community colleges even offer an associates in physical training.

Lastly many personal trainers are making next to nothing in income.  The are a few major success stories but they are hard to find. The majority are twenty something kids who got their internet certificate and cpr card working in some chain. They make a commision for every contract they get signed.  It's not very lucrative.  Also remember that if you free lance most major chains will not allow you to conduct your buisness there.  All they need is to see you there 5 hours a day every day with a clip board every day and you will get the boot.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2007, 02:30:18 PM »
The only reason health clubs care about these internet certifications is that their owners feel it will protect them to an extent in a law suit. Certified is a meaningless term.  Many of these internet paper mills were started by people of questionable educational backgrounds.

If you are serious you should go to school and major in exercise physiology or even physical therapy.  Some community colleges even offer an associates in physical training.

Lastly many personal trainers are making next to nothing in income.  The are a few major success stories but they are hard to find. The majority are twenty something kids who got their internet certificate and cpr card working in some chain. They make a commision for every contract they get signed.  It's not very lucrative.  Also remember that if you free lance most major chains will not allow you to conduct your buisness there.  All they need is to see you there 5 hours a day every day with a clip board every day and you will get the boot.

True, a trainer employed by a gym instead of freelancing makes shit per hour.  Usually anything between $18-30 per session, plus maybe 5-10% of the contract value up front.  The real money is becoming one of the guys who manages the trainers.  Fitness managers at 24 Hour where I used to work were making between $5-10k/month and had maybe 2-3 clients they trained themselves.  The rest of their day they don't do shit.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 02:32:29 PM »
There is a core of knowledge about anatomy and physiology that is worth learning. Everyone needs to have a similar vocabulary so that knowledge really is necessary about basic concepts and theories.

There is a problem re bodybuilding because most university and tech courses do not specialize in this subject. Bodybuilding is not resistance training but involves it. If the people giving courses are not bodybuilders it is unlikely anyone will get much depth about how to build large muscles. If you go to fitness expos and attend courses there, such as IHRSA,  you will be amazed at the range of seminars about everything from Pilates to goodness knows what fad fitness crap is around. There is rarely anything about hypertrophy and that is why most instructors have to get that information the hard way by trying to build themselves up.

In Australia personal trainers working for themselves need to have insurance and they cannot qualify for insurance without being certified. Part of the requirement is to do some current seminar every year. Guys like myself, who could instruct those who give the courses, are not qualified according to the government. This is quite preposterous but one of the things that can happen when standards are introduced by those who know nothing about training. What happened in Australia was that some of the advisers to the government were people who gave fitness leader courses. Those people made sure there was a steady source of income from all their former clients who had to do more seminars to stay qualified.

When it comes to hypertrophy knowledge it is quite interesting how much variation there is even among bodybuilders. If you watch personal trainers you can see their theories in action by what they get their clients to do. I doubt many of the trainers have much understanding of hypertrophy and how to sustain it. I don't think there is a course about that subject that explains what to do for advanced bodybuilders. There is almost no information available about augmenting hypertrophy via chemicals and that is literally outside any professional courses and rightly so. Still, an informed instructor should have knowledge about steroids and other drugs because clients will ask about them. What seems like a simple profession is actually quite a complicated one. Few bodybuilders or personal trainers can comprehend the latest scientific research in exercise science. Oh, it is easy enough to read the abstracts but exercise physiology is up there with medicine as far as difficulty goes.

If I were giving a course for instructors it would be at least a year and maybe two. Students would be required to demonstrate that they can make their arms and calves grow a measurable amount in a specific period of time. Like put an inch on your arms in 3 months. Those who can achieve this growth will end up knowing vastly more about hypertrophy than those who just attend lectures or read books and studies.

In the old days there were no qualifications. Gym owners became instant experts. Today anyone can own a gym but not everyone is entitled to prescribe exercise and nutrition programs. I think we are going in the right direction except about bodybuilding which doesn't have any academic standing in universities or fitness courses. The ISSA course does mention bodybuilding and Dr Squat has presented good information there that all instructors should be aware of. Those who are already in the field should keep up with knowledge by reading magazines and journals. When you think about it, where is the journal about bodybuilding or hypertrophy? I know of no such thing. Advanced bodybuilding remains a subculture with its own vocabulary, theories and practices.

There is a vast amount of information to learn about physiology and training. I advise instructors to keep an open mind about knowledge and always seek theories that explain growth, fat loss, increased strength, endurance, flexibility, and other fitness goals. There is a lot to learn about dealing with people especially those who are unfit and present with all manner of problems the fit instructors don't have to manage. Care must be taken not to project goals and values to those who do not share the musclehead world.

Stavios

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 03:07:09 PM »

;D

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »
I'm very thankful for the certifications I gained from going through the AMFPT.  I spent almost 20,000 for college courses and only 39 dollars for my certifications and I've done greater things with that AMFPT than anyone else.

The AMFPT course is inexpensive but it cuts out all the bullshit anatomy and useless info and focuses on the core training of individuals and making a profit from it.  Greg Ladd told me about it when he first got started in the certification and invited me to take his course.

The AMFPT course is so good that its now being taught at Georgia Perimeter College as well as a few other universities for much more. 

As far as the ISSA is concerned, I'm not taking any course in Personal Training as I'm fully certified but rather the courses in Strength Rehab and Sports Conditioning which does require more indept and more serious study. 

After I've competed the courses, I will be going back to college at night to complete my BS in Health which should not even take a year.

If you want to be a personal trainer and don't have much money, I'd check out the American Muscle & Fitness Institute by going to www.amfpt.com  Otherwise go with ISSA.   
A

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2007, 04:36:49 PM »
I'm very thankful for the certifications I gained from going through the AMFPT.  I spent almost 20,000 for college courses and only 39 dollars for my certifications and I've done greater things with that AMFPT than anyone else.

The AMFPT course is inexpensive but it cuts out all the bullshit anatomy and useless info and focuses on the core training of individuals and making a profit from it.  Greg Ladd told me about it when he first got started in the certification and invited me to take his course.

The AMFPT course is so good that its now being taught at Georgia Perimeter College as well as a few other universities for much more. 

As far as the ISSA is concerned, I'm not taking any course in Personal Training as I'm fully certified but rather the courses in Strength Rehab and Sports Conditioning which does require more indept and more serious study. 

After I've competed the courses, I will be going back to college at night to complete my BS in Health which should not even take a year.

If you want to be a personal trainer and don't have much money, I'd check out the American Muscle & Fitness Institute by going to www.amfpt.com  Otherwise go with ISSA.  

Why take a course on sports conditioning from someplace as poorly known in athletics as the ISSA?  You'd be better off getting a CSCS through the NSCA.  Unlike gyms and personal trainers, when you're an athletic trainer those initials at the end of your name do actually mean something.  A CSCS is practially a prerequisite to get a good job working with athletes and sports teams.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
Why take a course on sports conditioning from someplace as poorly known in athletics as the ISSA?  You'd be better off getting a CSCS through the NSCA.  Unlike gyms and personal trainers, when you're an athletic trainer those initials at the end of your name do actually mean something.  A CSCS is practially a prerequisite to get a good job working with athletes and sports teams.

Need a related degree to take the CSCS

NASM is a good cert as well.

ISSA is a joke! Weekend crash course...

((sorry if all this is posted already, too lazy to read thru))

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »

Because the vast majority of gyms won't even look at you unless you have an ACE or ISSA certification...period.  Getting a certification through the NSCA is a waste of time in my opinion because its not well known or recognized. 

Its like comparing McDonald's to Backyard Burgers.  BB can cook a much better burger but more people eat at McDonald's because its the most well known. 

AMFPT is good for independent personal trainers who simply need to get licensed to obtain PT insurance and for those not sure about a career.  It worked for me but now I'm moving into working at major gyms so you have to have the major certifications that gyms recognize.  Regardless as to whether NSCA is better is pointless.  Most gym managers look for what they want and throw the rest away
A

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007, 05:27:26 PM »

Because the vast majority of gyms won't even look at you unless you have an ACE or ISSA certification...period.  Getting a certification through the NSCA is a waste of time in my opinion because its not well known or recognized. 

NSCA a waste of time, not recognized??? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about! YOU NEED A DEGREE TO EVEN TAKE IT!

It is way more respected than ISSA crap. ACE is outdated. You want a good cert that is respectable and not a piece of shit, get NASM.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2007, 05:35:31 PM »
"Today, more than 9,600 fitness professionals hold this prestigious credential. The NSCA-CPT became the first personal training credential to be nationally accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) in 1996 and has continued to set the standard for personal training as the most well-respected personal trainer certification through national and international recognition. ".

..from their site.

I was wrong, for the CPT portion, you only need a HS diploma. For the CSCS, degree.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2007, 07:04:50 PM »
Melvin must have a lot of credits at university if he can complete a BS degree at night in a year. I guess still waters flow deep! Waiting for an indepth report of the courses Melvin is taking.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2007, 07:59:07 AM »
NSCA a waste of time, not recognized??? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about! YOU NEED A DEGREE TO EVEN TAKE IT!

It is way more respected than ISSA crap. ACE is outdated. You want a good cert that is respectable and not a piece of shit, get NASM.

No, I said not well known which is where the problem lies.  A lot of times NSCA degrees are put in the same catagory as a diploma mill and are simply disgarded by most major gym chains.

Rule of thumb is you either have an ACE or ISSA.  Everyone else has to hit the door
A

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2007, 09:08:21 AM »

No, I said not well known which is where the problem lies.  A lot of times NSCA degrees are put in the same catagory as a diploma mill and are simply disgarded by most major gym chains.

Rule of thumb is you either have an ACE or ISSA.  Everyone else has to hit the door

Then those gyms do not know what they are doing and you must aspire to work at Bally's or 24 Hour. Good places to start for a noob trainer.. However, both of those certs are weekend crash courses. I passed ACE in 1995 with a weekend of studying to know "their" answers. ISSA is a waste of time. Then I recently took NASM to be more well rounded with regard to functional training.

How are any of these certs better than a degree? If a gym would rather have those certs than a degree or CSCS, they are places that I would not want to work at.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2007, 09:12:03 AM »
Melvin bought his certification at the Jockey Lot flea market in Greenville, SC.  Along with a C-cup bra for his manboobs.

ChrisGlass

• Getbig II
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2007, 01:26:35 PM »
My success with the ISSA has been more than adequate.  This is also my experience within a specific region.  I've been the Fitness Pro at a solid country club for nearly 6 years, and while I'm not training bodybuilders or people with my interests neccessarily I still make a solid living.  I run a couple bootcamps M/W/F for hot Moms and have 15-25 hrs/ week on top of that in one on ones.  I give the club 10% while paying nothing for rent or equipment upkeep.  They also promote me within the newsletters and promo e-mails at no cost.  I got certified like 7 or 8 years ago, and I don't have any student loans to pay back so I guess I lucked out.  I expect that anyone with an ISSA cert. and some people skills to go with a marketable look would do the same or better given their demographics.  ISSA has not been a waste of time for me, whereas college would have been... Different strokes...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »
Not all college exercise science courses are the same. If you earn a degree in exercise science or physiology and are a bodybuilder you will be well prepared to instruct just about anyone. Plus you will have the background and knowledge to read the literature and relate with other informed and educated people. No home study certificate or diploma will do that.

Exercise science is an ongoing area whereas instructor's courses are evolving and have input from government committees and vary from state to state and country to country. That an ISSA certificate qualifies one to instruct in gyms is acceptable but probably not that satisfactory. Dr Hatfield has a PhD and his course depends on his opinion and knowledge which is why it is one of the best available. However, properly qualified instructors have to have way more knowledge than passing a course that can be completed in a month or two. Guys with exercise science degrees could read that book and pass that course in a matter of a week at most. They could probably pass the exam without reading the course.

I have a son who has a degree in exercise science and I respect his knowledge about anatomy and physiology that I do not have. Those who have been around in the industry for decades know there is a huge amount of things to learn both about exercise and the application of theory. People still debate hypertrophy on discussion boards and many times the discussions become quite passionate. Clearly there is no agreement about basic concepts in bodybuilding.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2007, 03:33:49 PM »
Melvin must have a lot of credits at university if he can complete a BS degree at night in a year. I guess still waters flow deep! Waiting for an indepth report of the courses Melvin is taking.

Yes, I have a lot of college credits and in fact a couple of universities would actually grant me B.S in Health if I took their final exam and paid their tuition fees however I feel that if I'm going to spend a good deal of money then I'd better learn some new stuff while I'm at it.

Why spend 10,000 for a piece of paper, transfer your credits and take the additional courses for more knowledge.  That is the purpose of going to college isn't it???

Besides, if I wanted a degree for nothing then I'd go to www.pulc.com ... ;D  Amazingly enough, they are legal and fell under an exemption for being a church.  That law has since been repealed but they're still around....lol

A