Author Topic: ISSA certification  (Read 8453 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: ISSA certification
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2007, 04:22:57 PM »
True, a trainer employed by a gym instead of freelancing makes shit per hour.  Usually anything between $18-30 per session, plus maybe 5-10% of the contract value up front.  The real money is becoming one of the guys who manages the trainers.  Fitness managers at 24 Hour where I used to work were making between $5-10k/month and had maybe 2-3 clients they trained themselves.  The rest of their day they don't do shit.

Are you kidding me?  A manager at a chain is making over 6 figures a year?  How many people work out at a place to pay one employee over 100K?  I also have trouble believing that a trainer at a chain is getting paid $30 dollars a session. If a gym charges $75 a session they are not giving their employee almost half.  I do understand that in some LA and mid town NYC gyms that that cater to rich people can charge insane rates but not a run of the mill chain gym.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2007, 10:40:04 PM »
Are you kidding me?  A manager at a chain is making over 6 figures a year?  How many people work out at a place to pay one employee over 100K?  I also have trouble believing that a trainer at a chain is getting paid $30 dollars a session. If a gym charges $75 a session they are not giving their employee almost half.  I do understand that in some LA and mid town NYC gyms that that cater to rich people can charge insane rates but not a run of the mill chain gym.

A decently productive FM at a 24 Hour will make between $60-115,000/year depending on the size of staff they're running and their performance to goal.  If you aren't making that you aren't hitting goal and you won't last long there.

Also, how is it hard to believe that you're making $30/session?  I didn't say all trainers do, but some do.  Shit, I do.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2007, 01:08:55 AM »
Melvin Goodrum wrote: "Yes, I have a lot of college credits and in fact a couple of universities would actually grant me B.S in Health if I took their final exam and paid their tuition fees however I feel that if I'm going to spend a good deal of money then I'd better learn some new stuff while I'm at it".

Goodness, Melvin, that isn't the way colleges work. You have to take proper courses to get a degree. Most are 4 years full time. Bachelor of Science in Health has physiology and other serious courses. Have you done any of these at a proper college or university? It would help you if named the campus you attended.

Vince G CSN MFT BS........looks good!!

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2007, 02:39:29 AM »
65 $ per hour ...trainer makes 42 ...sports club of west b;loomfield...trainer : eric stocz ;)

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2007, 02:44:25 AM »
i want to be a trainer one day  :o with the amreican \\\ dfream wooo oh dear. i want to train fat furcks to feel special. ih tae fat people. i hate people.

btw sevestes is a gangster.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2007, 07:18:18 AM »
A decently productive FM at a 24 Hour will make between $60-115,000/year depending on the size of staff they're running and their performance to goal.  If you aren't making that you aren't hitting goal and you won't last long there.

Also, how is it hard to believe that you're making $30/session?  I didn't say all trainers do, but some do.  Shit, I do.

I was talking about a personal trainer at a chain not an independant trainer. Most successful independant trainers charge over $65 a session.  I still find it hard to believe that a manager at a chain will make $115K a year.  Is the club pulling in over $500K a year for the owner to pay a manager that and the various employees?  The club must have one insane membership. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2007, 07:21:45 AM »
65 $ per hour ...trainer makes 42 ...sports club of west b;loomfield...trainer : eric stocz ;)

So you are pulling around 6 figures a year being a personal trainer at a chain gym?  That's more than I ever thought was possible. Sounds like a great job!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2007, 08:22:46 AM »
Melvin Goodrum wrote: "Yes, I have a lot of college credits and in fact a couple of universities would actually grant me B.S in Health if I took their final exam and paid their tuition fees however I feel that if I'm going to spend a good deal of money then I'd better learn some new stuff while I'm at it".

Goodness, Melvin, that isn't the way colleges work. You have to take proper courses to get a degree. Most are 4 years full time. Bachelor of Science in Health has physiology and other serious courses. Have you done any of these at a proper college or university? It would help you if named the campus you attended.

Vince G CSN MFT BS........looks good!!

You dum ass.  THAT IS THE WAY SOME COLLEGES WORK IN THE US!!! 
Its nothing more than getting as much money out of students as they can with constant increases, sales of books and college merchandise, and high priced apartment or in my case dorm rental fee. 

And for your information, I went to Mars Hill College as well as ITT Tech jackass alongside taking mainly CP and Honors classes in high school.

In either case, who even asked you to begin with and what business is it of yours anyway.  You stated on numerous occasions that back in the good old days being a gym owner qualifies you to be an IFBB pro bodybuilder and certified.....

Well it doesn't and even if it was the good old days, that pink painted piece of shit gym you run pretty much disqualifies you. 

But thanks for your contribution to the sport of bodybuilding..... ::)
A

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2007, 07:36:36 AM »
I was talking about a personal trainer at a chain not an independant trainer. Most successful independant trainers charge over $65 a session.  I still find it hard to believe that a manager at a chain will make $115K a year.  Is the club pulling in over $500K a year for the owner to pay a manager that and the various employees?  The club must have one insane membership. 

I was talking about a chain gym as well.  At an average 24-Hour Fitness the monthly sales goal is anywhere between $75,000-150,000 just in new membership alone, including enrollment fees and monthy dues.  The personal training department is generally responsible for an additional $20-40,000 in training services depending on how many trainers they have staffed.  Factor in ancillary services like babysitting, supplement and apparel sales and new business is over $100,000 each month pretty easily, not even factoring in their dues tap.

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2007, 07:51:46 AM »
I know a very impressive BB who has competed and done very well and he has set up a private gym in his home,He is not certified in anything.

He looks the part a very impressive physique,thats what gets him the buisness and word of mouth, very successfull.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2007, 08:00:05 AM »
Are any of these certs recognized nationally? Like if you go to a Law School it has to be a ABA certified law school in order for you to grad or practice law.

There are too many certs in my opinion and there needs to be just one. It seems that any fool with a (replace with alphabet letters) degree can become a personal trainer...I've seen dudes at my gym that I used to go to have guts and trying to show women who are in better shape than them how to get more defined tris.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2007, 09:46:27 AM »
i bet he was warming her up and gonna have her do some parking-lot lunges next... :P ;D

ISSA is quick and easy, go for it. Its good to get your foot in the door. If you want real education I would start going to seminars on topics related to your field and listen to the experts. Books can only take you so far, learn from the people who have done it, not the people who write about it.

JMHO.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2007, 09:49:54 AM »

Because the vast majority of gyms won't even look at you unless you have an ACE or ISSA certification...period.  Getting a certification through the NSCA is a waste of time in my opinion because its not well known or recognized. 

Its like comparing McDonald's to Backyard Burgers.  BB can cook a much better burger but more people eat at McDonald's because its the most well known. 

AMFPT is good for independent personal trainers who simply need to get licensed to obtain PT insurance and for those not sure about a career.  It worked for me but now I'm moving into working at major gyms so you have to have the major certifications that gyms recognize.  Regardless as to whether NSCA is better is pointless.  Most gym managers look for what they want and throw the rest away

You are talking about yourself in this instance aren't.  I highly doubt ANY gym would have you on as a PT.  But I do like how you compare your current job at McDonalds.  Name one major gym looking to hire you on as a PT. ;D

GonnaBePro

• Getbig I
  • You're in the presence of greatness!
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2007, 10:51:17 AM »
You stand something to gain from all certifications.  They all are sharing some basice fitness lifestyle guidelines that will give you a basis to start dealing with clients.  I possess my Bachelors and three certifications (one being ISSA).  The college degrees are also great if you have the time and the money.  However, the most important thing that anyone pursuing a profession in Personal Fitness Training should know is "the ability to communicate and build solid relationships with your clients" is the absolute key to success.   There are excellent, knowledgeable trainers with terrible communication/relationship skills that won't make a dime in comparison to the guy or gal that who knows how to market himself and build a solid relationship that the client depends on and enjoys.  Go into any major fitness facility (Golds, 24hr., Lifetime, LA Fitness, etc...).  You will observe trainers training the same people and you don't notice any extreme results in 6 months to a year or more!!!. but observe their faces and the way they communicate with each other and you will see that some clients are in it for the relationship/fellowship with their trainers whether they look like top bodybuilders or fitness models is not the priority.  Good luck in your pursuit.  The fitness training profession won't be going anywhere anytime soon, so you are making a good decision.  Happy Holidays and God Bless!!!
I ain't never scared!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2007, 12:45:58 PM »
I was talking about a chain gym as well.  At an average 24-Hour Fitness the monthly sales goal is anywhere between $75,000-150,000 just in new membership alone, including enrollment fees and monthy dues.  The personal training department is generally responsible for an additional $20-40,000 in training services depending on how many trainers they have staffed.  Factor in ancillary services like babysitting, supplement and apparel sales and new business is over $100,000 each month pretty easily, not even factoring in their dues tap.

$75,000 in one month as sales goal in memberships?  If you charge $1000 a year that would be 75 new members a month if I got my math straight.  That must be one big gym. 

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2007, 02:27:07 PM »
So you are pulling around 6 figures a year being a personal trainer at a chain gym?  That's more than I ever thought was possible. Sounds like a great job!
60-80 k a year...it's not bad...I've seen indep personal trainers pulling close to 100k

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2007, 02:32:37 PM »
Go get an exercise physiology degree if you really want education.

Thats actually worse then most certs.
In North America the field of exercise science as taught by academic institutions is focused primarily on the aerobic energy system ( heart rate, blood pressure, VO2Max) 
All have little if any to do with weight/strength training.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »
I'm certified through ACSM and the NCSF.  Out of the two, NCSF has more practical knowledge - exercises, workout programs, nutrition, etc.  ACSM is good in terms of recognition, but the whole test is basically anatomy and physiology.  IMO you can know everything you want about origins, insertions, planes and axes, but if you can't teach someone a squat or a barbell curl in layman's terms you'll be a shitty trainer.

Very true, these tests dont teach you the first thing about WEIGHT TRAINING.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2007, 02:37:56 PM »
I'll also add that if you can't sell you will be a shitty (i.e. unemplyed) trainer too.

Not if you are independent/self employed

This is a referral based industry.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2007, 02:38:16 PM »
I know a PT in LA who did private training and he was getting $300 a session.  He had quite a few celebrities.  Had a nice new Navigator and ski boat and all the toys.  Paying a PT more than 50% of a session fee is a loss to the gym.  Hiring independants is the best route but you still have to have some staff PT's.  They get paid just above minimum wage.  When they train someone they get a set fee of 35% to 40% of the session fee.  Charge the independant a set fee determined by the number of clients he trains.  You provide the PT's with one office for all of them with a computer.  All the trainers must be a member of the club.  The fee us usually lower than normal but it makes it a lot easier to "police" who comes in the club and the benefits they get.  Independants have to be certified with at least one certification and have their own insurance naming your club as an additional insured.  Each of their clients too must sign a waiver stating they are aware the PT is an independant and does not work or have anything to do with the club. 

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2007, 02:46:51 PM »
True, a trainer employed by a gym instead of freelancing makes shit per hour.  Usually anything between $18-30 per session, plus maybe 5-10% of the contract value up front.  The real money is becoming one of the guys who manages the trainers.  Fitness managers at 24 Hour where I used to work were making between $5-10k/month and had maybe 2-3 clients they trained themselves.  The rest of their day they don't do shit.

You dont really believe this do you?

they get a $500  base per month and percentage of sales they make as well as a percentage of the total PT sales of the club. Most Mega-commercial gyms are lucky to sell 10k in PT in a month ( excluding pre-sales and grand openings) so if they get 10% of 10k , well thats 1k plus a $500/month base. These guys are banking! lol ;D

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2007, 02:50:57 PM »

You have been Horribly mis-informed

The Personal Training Director would have to sell about $800,000 in personal training packages in a year to bank $115,000 as an annual income.  That would be some serious "hustle " lol ::)

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2007, 07:26:12 AM »
You have been Horribly mis-informed

The Personal Training Director would have to sell about $800,000 in personal training packages in a year to bank $115,000 as an annual income.  That would be some serious "hustle " lol ::)

snorting a bit of cocaine before each shift would prob make him productive enough to do that!  ;)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2007, 07:58:02 AM »
You dont really believe this do you?

they get a $500  base per month and percentage of sales they make as well as a percentage of the total PT sales of the club. Most Mega-commercial gyms are lucky to sell 10k in PT in a month ( excluding pre-sales and grand openings) so if they get 10% of 10k , well thats 1k plus a $500/month base. These guys are banking! lol ;D

I'd like to know where you get your info.  Considering I used to help run a 24 Hour Fitness and have seen the paychecks and commission statements for these guys I have some decent credibility.  Anybody in sales or fitness management at 24 Hour Fitness, at least before I left back in June, had a base pay of $10.50/hour, plus your usual time and a half for OT, so where you pulled $500/month as a base is beyond me.  And in the year and a half that I worked there, not once did I sell less than $15,000 just myself, with about $3-5,000 of that being personal training packages to new members.  The sales department alone was responsible for $35k in training, let alone the staff of 15 trainers that each had to do between $2-7k a month depending on their hours.  Again, no idea what "mega-commercial" gym you're speaking of, but I doubt that your stats are accurate.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
I'd like to know where you get your info.  Considering I used to help run a 24 Hour Fitness and have seen the paychecks and commission statements for these guys I have some decent credibility.  Anybody in sales or fitness management at 24 Hour Fitness, at least before I left back in June, had a base pay of $10.50/hour, plus your usual time and a half for OT, so where you pulled $500/month as a base is beyond me.  And in the year and a half that I worked there, not once did I sell less than $15,000 just myself, with about $3-5,000 of that being personal training packages to new members.  The sales department alone was responsible for $35k in training, let alone the staff of 15 trainers that each had to do between $2-7k a month depending on their hours.  Again, no idea what "mega-commercial" gym you're speaking of, but I doubt that your stats are accurate.

24 hour fitness is the devil!