Author Topic: PULVER AWAITING HIS SHOT AT FABER  (Read 1292 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
PULVER AWAITING HIS SHOT AT FABER
« on: December 19, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »
At last week’s World Extreme Cagefighting event in Las Vegas, Jens Pulver was able to put himself in the mix of the growing featherweight division by dispatching of top contender Cub Swanson in under a minute by submission.

Focusing on his groundwork is something that Pulver did specifically for this fight, knowing what a quality opponent he was facing in Swanson.

“I’ve been working so much more on submissions and wrestling and trying to bring all that back in,” he said. “I heard a good piece of advice two days before the fight, ‘Relax, stay calm, you can still be exciting, but you don’t have to force anything.’ And of course Joe Silva had the funniest line ever, he goes, ‘You know, it’s okay if you duck a punch or two.”

There was much talk and hype going into this bout after an exchange of words between Pulver and Swanson, but the new WEC 145-pound division contender says that’s to be expected.

“Whatever it takes to get you motivated, to get you going,” Pulver stated about the emotional level of the bout. “Sometimes you need that motivation to get you up every morning.”

Most fans were expecting him to stand and bang with Swanson, but the former Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight titleholder was actually hoping for a ground fight.

“I was really looking forward to getting in there and going to the ground. I was looking forward to wrestling and working (to try) stopping shots and we drilled hard on that.”

After the fight was over, Pulver had an opportunity to speak to Swanson and put all the pre-fight hype behind them once and for all.

“I thanked him and just told him no hard feelings. I know you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do, and you’ve got to say what you’ve got to say to get ready for fights. To be able to bury that hatchet and leave it in the cage that’s a good thing, let’s me know it’s still a sport.”

He was also impressed with another featherweight on the same show, current WEC king Urijah Faber, who defeated top contender Jeff Curran by submission.

“I think he did great. I think he showed great poise, great confidence,” said Pulver about Faber’s title fight with Curran. “He looked as dominating as always. I think he’s a great fighter and a great champion.”

It now appears that Pulver will take a brief amount of time off before preparing for his next bout. His next opponent will likely be the aforementioned Faber.

“That’s definitely the fight I want to go after,” he said about a potential title fight. “I think Faber knows it’s right there. I think we’re both ready for it. I’m definitely up for it, now it’s just an option of making it happen.”

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
Re: PULVER AWAITING HIS SHOT AT FABER
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 06:22:09 AM »
Pulver will get worked.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 11:31:24 AM »
I have to ride with Pulver.. Dude works hard and is a good fighter..

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:37:08 AM »
He has had a piss poor showing in his most recent fights.  He is kind of a hasbeen. HOWEVER imo the 155 class is too big for him and moving to bantam weight or whatever weight class faber is in might be ideal for him.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 11:51:22 AM »
He has had a piss poor showing in his most recent fights.  He is kind of a hasbeen. HOWEVER imo the 155 class is too big for him and moving to bantam weight or whatever weight class faber is in might be ideal for him.

I agree with what your saying about old Jens' but on the same hand his last win was impressive and I think that if he really wants to do this he has all of the skills available to him. We shall see what happens.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:56:29 AM »
Pulver is undefeated at 145 and he seems like a transformed fighter.  However, he has his hands full with Faber.  I think Faber would destroy him...
w

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 02:40:25 PM »
Pulver is undefeated at 145 and he seems like a transformed fighter.  However, he has his hands full with Faber.  I think Faber would destroy him...

Faber's wrestling is what makes him so hard to deal with, Jens actually has an accomplished wrestling backround (Div 1, if im not mistaken) and Faber actually admitted that Pulver is physically bigger than him.  I never count Jens out and he always is about putting on a show and making his fights exciting, win or lose, if he lands on that little bitch (Faber) he's going to sleep.  Tyson Griffin removed Fabers soul from his body with one right hand, Jens would do much worse.
Predictions
 40/61

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 03:26:04 PM »
Faber's wrestling is what makes him so hard to deal with, Jens actually has an accomplished wrestling backround (Div 1, if im not mistaken) and Faber actually admitted that Pulver is physically bigger than him.  I never count Jens out and he always is about putting on a show and making his fights exciting, win or lose, if he lands on that little bitch (Faber) he's going to sleep.  Tyson Griffin removed Fabers soul from his body with one right hand, Jens would do much worse.

lol.  I'm actually rooting for lil evil, but Faber is going to be too much for him.  Should be a good fight though...hope it happens. 
w

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 03:41:26 PM »
faber's just too quick for jens standing up, and too technically sound as a pure wrestler (let alone his submissions) on the ground....

both guys are probably untouchable to the rest of the WEC 145 lbers, but I just can't picture Jens gettin past Faber !

would'nt miss this fight for the world all the same !

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 04:56:38 PM »
i think pulvers time has past
irongearco.com

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 08:22:33 PM »
i think pulvers time has past

20 i have to disagree. At 145 Jens still has at least 3 or 4 years fighting 3 times a year. IMO he looked damn good his last fight and even against BJ he didn't look bad. I believe if you would have put a lot of other guys in their against Jens he would've walked away with a W. I guess we will see but I think Jens suprises people on this board and wins.

Logan32

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 04:51:52 AM »
I think this will be a great test for Faber. It will show if he deserves all the hype he is getting.

bigjohN79

• Getbig IV
  • FEAR THE BOG!!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 12:30:23 AM »
Faber will destroy JenZ, and it will be nothing "action" packed, typ ical faber beating down
FEAR THE BAPP!