Author Topic: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!  (Read 22064 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:57:15 AM »
So I settled on a Tibetan Terrier.  We've had her three days.  She's adorable. BUT...she has been howling up a storm for three solid nights.  I'm talking major howling, barking, growling and all sorts of insanely loud noises.  We're trying to crate train her.  The 1st night we tried the crate in our room.  Halfway through the night I couldn't take it anymore so I put her downstairs in the 2nd floor...still too freaking loud.  The last two nights we've had her all the way down in the 1st floor.  We're on the 3rd and still tooooo loud!  She sounds like a caged animal going ape shit for the ENTIRE night.

WTF do I do?  Tried the ticking alarm clock, music, chew toys, etc.  I'm thinking about grinding up some Ambien in her food!!!

Thoughts?  Tips???  Help!!!

w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:11:12 AM »
Thanks :) I think I'll try and tire her out tonight.  Then I'LL take 2 ambiens & crank up my ipod.  I need my freaking sleep!!!

hehe!  Yes, YOU taking the drugs is a better idea!  And this won't go on forever.  She'll get to where she loves her crate (usually).  What's her name?
R

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 11:14:58 AM »
hehe!  Yes, YOU taking the drugs is a better idea!  And this won't go on forever.  She'll get to where she loves her crate (usually).  What's her name?

I was kidding about he Ambien :P

We went with a Tibetan name: Diki.  It means Healthy & Wealthy :D

So am I now a legit member of the Pet Board??
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:18:47 AM »
I was kidding about he Ambien :P

Good!  I emailed this thread to Flower w/the subject line:  "Please help Mindspin before he drugs his new puppy"   ;D

We went with a Tibetan name: Diki.  It means Healthy & Wealthy :D

Cute name!  Is it pronounced Dee-kee?  Or Die-Kee or.....?

So am I now a legit member of the Pet Board??
Yes. Now you can hold your head up high  ;D

R

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 11:20:25 AM »

you can also try a pet fence, and put it in the room with you. the key being that the terrier will not be alone, but with you guys. my brother put up a pet fence in his room with him and his wife when they first got their mimi pincher. he felt that the fence would allow the pup to feel like it was still apart of a pack or family.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:32:40 AM »
STella I think you gave a fine answer and Atheist too!    :)

Another alternative is another dog.   ::)

LOL!!   When I got Emmett I already had Briona and I had Emmett babygated in the hallway by the kitchen and he cried and cried, I let him in with Bri and he shut right up.   He was paper trained from day one so he could be left in a big area with no problems.

Very Cute Mindspin - your daughters and the pup!   :D

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 11:37:20 AM »
you can also try a pet fence, and put it in the room with you. the key being that the terrier will not be alone, but with you guys. my brother put up a pet fence in his room with him and his wife when they first got their mimi pincher. he felt that the fence would allow the pup to feel like it was still apart of a pack or family.

Yesterday I got one HUGE crate that she will now be sleeping in and a 4 1/2 foot tall "pet fence".  She's only 2 moths old, and managed to climb the pet fence with ease.

Thanks Flower.  I almost brought home one of her little brothers but wasn't sure.  In retrospect, I should have.  The whole littler is gne now.

w

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 11:37:27 AM »
Another thing with crate training is don't take them out when they are crying or barking.  Wait until they are quiet, otherwise they may associate "I bark and I get let out" and keep it up.

She will probably quiet down soon, but it can be nerve wracking   ::).

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »
Good!  I emailed this thread to Flower w/the subject line:  "Please help Mindspin before he drugs his new puppy"   ;D

Cute name!  Is it pronounced Dee-kee?  Or Die-Kee or.....?
Yes. Now you can hold your head up high  ;D

LOL.  But seriously, what's a good dog sedative?  j/k.

pronounced dee kee...
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
Another thing with crate training is don't take them out when they are crying or barking.  Wait until they are quiet, otherwise they may associate "I bark and I get let out" and keep it up.

She will probably quiet down soon, but it can be nerve wracking   ::).

Oh...I'm definitely not giving in.  For three solid nights, I have left her in the crate in spite of my girls pleading that we let her upstairs. 
w

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 11:40:26 AM »
Thanks Flower.  I almost brought home one of her little brothers but wasn't sure.  In retrospect, I should have.  The whole littler is gne now.

But with 2 puppies you have 2 to potty train, 2 that are teething, 2 that are getting into everything so maybe it is good you resisted!    ;D

I have also had people tell me that if you get 2 puppies at the same time they may bond more with each other than with you.  I think unless you have the time, patience and experience, one puppy at a time is more than enough!
  ;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 11:46:48 AM »

LOL.  But seriously, what's a good dog sedative?  j/k.

You can try Bach's Rescue Remedy, it is sold OTC in most health food and grocery stores.  It is marketed to people but can be used in pets.  You can get it in drops or a spray, I would get the drops if you decide to try it, the spray would probably be scary to her.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 11:51:24 AM »
You can try Bach's Rescue Remedy, it is sold OTC in most health food and grocery stores.  It is marketed to people but can be used in pets.  You can get it in drops or a spray, I would get the drops if you decide to try it, the spray would probably be scary to her.
I'm totally kidding.  I wouldn't really sedate her....
w

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »
I'm totally kidding.  I wouldn't really sedate her....

That wouldn't sedate her like a prescription would, lol, but it can be good for a calming affect, or for a stressful situation. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 11:59:14 AM »
  That wouldn't sedate her like a prescription would, lol, but it can be good for a calming affect, or for a stressful situation. 

hmmm....I'l look into it...thanks :)
w

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 12:12:06 PM »
Just go by a sack Mind and blow some smoke in the pups face... HA-HA just kidding.. Welcome to the Petboard my friend. Your daughters are gogrgeous. I am having my first in May and I am stressed about raising a girl. Little heathen boys...  >:( >:(

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 01:57:29 PM »
Really nice pic :)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 02:12:17 PM »
Yesterday I got one HUGE crate that she will now be sleeping in and a 4 1/2 foot tall "pet fence".  She's only 2 moths old, and managed to climb the pet fence with ease.

How in the heck did a 2mo old pup climb a fence that is 4 1/2 feet tall???  :o she probably cant even hold her ears up yet...you my friend are in trouble...big trouble.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »
How in the heck did a 2mo old pup climb a fence that is 4 1/2 feet tall???  :o she probably cant even hold her ears up yet...you my friend are in trouble...big trouble.

I was amazed.  I'll take some pics.
w

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 03:38:56 PM »

She will probably quiet down soon, but it can be nerve wracking   ::).

Exactly.   This is a terrier puppy--she's going to push the envelope by nature of the group of dogs.   The thing a new puppy owner absolutely cannot do is give into the dog when they are having a puppy temper tantrum or else they run the risk of going down a long painful road of the dog manipulating their every action while it runs wild causing intolerable havoc and destruction (ok, I'm exagerating, but you get it). 

There was mention earlier of a HUGE crate---I actually think getting a smaller breed puppy a large crate like that can cause anxiety in some of the dogs.   Dogs by nature are "ground dwellers" meaning that most of the canid species have puppies in relatively dark spaces underground.  A large kennel without walls closeby can create a feeling of anxiety much like being in an open space.  By initially using a smaller kennel with more solid walls (not wire, but a versa kennel type kennel) you mimick the burrow effect of the dogs nature.  This is also similar to the nests that domestic dogs will make in boxes with towels/blankets etc.  As the puppy ages, move to a larger kennel with open sides so the dog can see out and you can interact with the dog while its kenneled, just the same way a wild dog pup as it matures starts to venture out from the burrown.  Second in a smaller breed puppies, giving them a huge space gives them a great place to shit and then back away from it.  I think you can actually complicate house training/kennel breaking by having a kennel that is too large with some dogs. 

Exercising the puppy before it goes to bed will work.  Also taking half an hour or so for light exercise when you do the 3 AM poddy break (a must for housebreaking a puppy this young---they cannot hold it overnight, no matter how much you want them to, they have to have an opportunity to pee and maybe poop).  Just be aware that the middle of the night session might get the dog more wound up and instigate an outburst.  You can combat this by making that time a "strictly business" time where they go outside, they get their treat, and they come back in to bed, no ifs, no ands, no buts. 

If the yapping continues, you can try distraction with something like a tincan filled with pennies or a boat horn (if you dont have any neighbors).  the idea is to give a sharp distracting sound when the dog howls, followed with a firm NO.  I'll be the first to say, this does not work with some puppies, so you have to use your judgement on using it. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 03:40:53 PM »

Considering the breed, this dog is too young for a pet fence without adult supervision.  She'll go over it, under it, or through it somehow and runs the risk of getting injured.  She needs to be a bit older before the pet fences will work from the way you've described how she's acting. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 03:48:07 PM »
Exactly.   This is a terrier puppy--she's going to push the envelope by nature of the group of dogs.   The thing a new puppy owner absolutely cannot do is give into the dog when they are having a puppy temper tantrum or else they run the risk of going down a long painful road of the dog manipulating their every action while it runs wild causing intolerable havoc and destruction (ok, I'm exagerating, but you get it). 

There was mention earlier of a HUGE crate---I actually think getting a smaller breed puppy a large crate like that can cause anxiety in some of the dogs.   Dogs by nature are "ground dwellers" meaning that most of the canid species have puppies in relatively dark spaces underground.  A large kennel without walls closeby can create a feeling of anxiety much like being in an open space.  By initially using a smaller kennel with more solid walls (not wire, but a versa kennel type kennel) you mimick the burrow effect of the dogs nature.  This is also similar to the nests that domestic dogs will make in boxes with towels/blankets etc.  As the puppy ages, move to a larger kennel with open sides so the dog can see out and you can interact with the dog while its kenneled, just the same way a wild dog pup as it matures starts to venture out from the burrown.  Second in a smaller breed puppies, giving them a huge space gives them a great place to shit and then back away from it.  I think you can actually complicate house training/kennel breaking by having a kennel that is too large with some dogs. 

Exercising the puppy before it goes to bed will work.  Also taking half an hour or so for light exercise when you do the 3 AM poddy break (a must for housebreaking a puppy this young---they cannot hold it overnight, no matter how much you want them to, they have to have an opportunity to pee and maybe poop).  Just be aware that the middle of the night session might get the dog more wound up and instigate an outburst.  You can combat this by making that time a "strictly business" time where they go outside, they get their treat, and they come back in to bed, no ifs, no ands, no buts. 

If the yapping continues, you can try distraction with something like a tincan filled with pennies or a boat horn (if you dont have any neighbors).  the idea is to give a sharp distracting sound when the dog howls, followed with a firm NO.  I'll be the first to say, this does not work with some puppies, so you have to use your judgement on using it. 

That's too complicated.  Can't I just throw an overhand right? :P j/k

We did have a small crate the 1st two nights.  I bought a larger one last night.  I think I'll try putting the little crate in the big one. 

Thanks!!
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 03:49:20 PM »
Considering the breed, this dog is too young for a pet fence without adult supervision.  She'll go over it, under it, or through it somehow and runs the risk of getting injured.  She needs to be a bit older before the pet fences will work from the way you've described how she's acting. 
We're using the fence so that she can hang out in the family room without pissing all over the place...
w

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 08:50:56 AM »
I've tried this several times & seems to help.....

Throw an old sweatshirt/shirt/coat of YOURS or whoever is the main influnece on the dog as bedding material inside the crate.  Just one or two used articles of clothing.  Eventually...(within the week or when the dog stops howling) remove the clothes otherwise they become shredded articles of clothing.

When crating the dog....don't just throw the dog in the crate only when you leave....or when you're going to bed.  Give the pup some "nap" times.  Just at random during the day....place the pup in there & work up to an hour at a time.  Maybe for the first few times....5 minutes.....15 minutes....45 minutes....then 1 hour.

Don't make the crate feel like a negative energy.

Before you know it (you'll be amazed) the dog will look at the crate as a comfort zone & will take the naps & overnight sleep in there with enjoyment.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 10:07:22 AM »
I've tried this several times & seems to help.....

Throw an old sweatshirt/shirt/coat of YOURS or whoever is the main influnece on the dog as bedding material inside the crate.  Just one or two used articles of clothing.  Eventually...(within the week or when the dog stops howling) remove the clothes otherwise they become shredded articles of clothing.

When crating the dog....don't just throw the dog in the crate only when you leave....or when you're going to bed.  Give the pup some "nap" times.  Just at random during the day....place the pup in there & work up to an hour at a time.  Maybe for the first few times....5 minutes.....15 minutes....45 minutes....then 1 hour.

Don't make the crate feel like a negative energy.

Before you know it (you'll be amazed) the dog will look at the crate as a comfort zone & will take the naps & overnight sleep in there with enjoyment.

Great idea on the article of clothing.  I'll have to cut into my used underwear inventory...oh wel...
w