Author Topic: Mike Huckabee  (Read 1469 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Mike Huckabee
« on: December 20, 2007, 04:48:07 PM »
In the personality department he's really hard not to like...  Seems like such a nice fella.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Mike Huckabee
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:55:26 PM »
did you see that *creepy* christmas ad in which the light of the windowsill behind him resembles a brightly lit cross?

He's getting a ton of heat for it.  Ad execs agree - tis was no mistake - and contrasting effect was used to ensure it illuminated.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:07:42 PM »
did you see that *creepy* christmas ad in which the light of the windowsill behind him resembles a brightly lit cross?

He's getting a ton of heat for it.  Ad execs agree - tis was no mistake - and contrasting effect was used to ensure it illuminated.
I wouldn't call that creepy.  It was a good ad on his part and such set plans are so routine in everything we see.  I use to point these things out and have people call me a nut.  Creepy was the odd ass dream I had about Huckabee.  It was evil as hell, he was marching through flaming ruins in a black suit smiling, it's all I dreamt all night until finally I just said fuck it and stayed up so I wouldn't dream it anymore.  But I find the guy very likable, great personality.  I won't be voting for him though :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
In the personality department he's really hard not to like...  Seems like such a nice fella.

That's at least half the battle.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »
That's at least half the battle.
it really is, so many people take personality/charisma farther than they should.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 06:12:22 PM »
Fuckabee is a religious nutcase; I don't want him.
I hate the State.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 06:13:15 PM »
I wouldn't call that creepy.  It was a good ad on his part and such set plans are so routine in everything we see.  I use to point these things out and have people call me a nut.  Creepy was the odd ass dream I had about Huckabee.  It was evil as hell, he was marching through flaming ruins in a black suit smiling, it's all I dreamt all night until finally I just said fuck it and stayed up so I wouldn't dream it anymore.  But I find the guy very likable, great personality.  I won't be voting for him though :)

haev you seen the commercial?  It's odd at the very least.  he's trying to touch that religious nutjob base pretty hard.  

I have liked Huck for about a year now.  I saw him on Imus when he was just starting, and I came on getbig talking about him nonstop.  Personality, looks, positive glow, education message (I thought he's tap teacher vote that gore/kerry got), a platform of health and learning.  

He's the best of their batch.  

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 06:14:21 PM »
He looks like Gomer Pyle.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 06:16:38 PM »

haev you seen the commercial?  It's odd at the very least.  he's trying to touch that religious nutjob base pretty hard.  

I have liked Huck for about a year now.  I saw him on Imus when he was just starting, and I came on getbig talking about him nonstop.  Personality, looks, positive glow, education message (I thought he's tap teacher vote that gore/kerry got), a platform of health and learning.  

240, you need to get off your arse and donate money to Ron Paul, the only real candidate.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 06:21:04 PM »
it really is, so many people take personality/charisma farther than they should.

Possibly, but a substantial part of the president's job is to man the bully pulpit, talk to the country, and make us all feel good.  That's part of the reason both Reagan and Clinton were so popular. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 06:21:25 PM »

He really does.   :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »

trying to touch the religous base ???  He is the religious base.  He's being true to himself.  Now had Hillary come out with an ad like that I would be right with you, but this is what I would expect to see from a baptist preacher.  That's what I like about him if anything, he's not pandering, he's being true to who he is.  Now had he come out with some add to pander to the other side for a few more votes, then yea.  The guy seems like such a great person, I'm just lost at why I would have such a fucked up vision of someone who seems so likeable.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »
He really does.   :)
That's what I like about him.

That and he can play bass guitar.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 06:26:54 PM »
I'm afraid electing any of the other Republican candidates (besides Ron Paul) would be National Suicide.  We can't afford another George W.

S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 06:27:10 PM »
trying to touch the religous base ???  He is the religious base.  He's being true to himself.  Now had Hillary come out with an ad like that I would be right with you, but this is what I would expect to see from a baptist preacher.  That's what I like about him if anything, he's not pandering, he's being true to who he is.  Now had he come out with some add to pander to the other side for a few more votes, then yea.  The guy seems like such a great person, I'm just lost at why I would have such a fucked up vision of someone who seems so likeable.

in the battle for religious base... I feel the superimposing/highlighting of a window frame to resemble a glowing cross is insulting and weird.

If you want a cross, put one there.  But don't try to make everyone "sense" a cross without putting one there.  It was a sneaky move, and he's being called on it.  Just put on a commercial like everyone else.  Don't put subliminal crosses in your ad.  I like the guy, but have to call this one out.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 06:30:34 PM »
That's what I like about him.

That and he can play bass guitar.

Playing the sax on Jay Leno helped Clinton get elected.   :)  I know it impressed me.  That and seeing him and Al Gore throw a football with each other. . . .

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 06:36:20 PM »
in the battle for religious base... I feel the superimposing/highlighting of a window frame to resemble a glowing cross is insulting and weird.

If you want a cross, put one there.  But don't try to make everyone "sense" a cross without putting one there.  It was a sneaky move, and he's being called on it.  Just put on a commercial like everyone else.  Don't put subliminal crosses in your ad.  I like the guy, but have to call this one out.
Are you insulted when hollywood does it?  When guys M night shyamalan puts the cross symbol in his movies?  It's so common place for these guys to be doing it.  It is a fact, despite people telling me I'm full of shit, that every single prop and background is thought out intently to convey message in movies, ads and just about everything made with the intention of public viewing.  I know this business very very well and let me tell you there is never just a bookcase in the background. Huckabee did nothing that everyone else hasn't been doing for a real long time.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 07:02:54 PM »
berz, I agree with you that every single item is intentional and you have ten to 30 minds picking apart every aspect for flaws.  Things do not "slip thru".

He should have put a cross there. 

He shouldn't have tried to convey a cross.  It's insulting to the viewer, and it borders on "he's trying to have a cross for those who want one, and dodge a cross for those who dont".  I like Huck and much of what he says.  But this use of subliminal religious artifacts is wrong.  Suppose Rudy had curtains' in his ad that shaped out the words "911".  Would you feel the same way - harmless advertising technique?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »
berz, I agree with you that every single item is intentional and you have ten to 30 minds picking apart every aspect for flaws.  Things do not "slip thru".

He should have put a cross there. 

He shouldn't have tried to convey a cross.  It's insulting to the viewer, and it borders on "he's trying to have a cross for those who want one, and dodge a cross for those who dont".  I like Huck and much of what he says.  But this use of subliminal religious artifacts is wrong.  Suppose Rudy had curtains' in his ad that shaped out the words "911".  Would you feel the same way - harmless advertising technique?
If Rudy did that, it wouldn't shock me one bit.  I'm not OK with it, what I'm really saying is that everyone does it.  It's so common, it might have been done by others involved without mike even knowing it.  The people working on this stuff feel the need to convey the message through the visual, it's their business.  I kid you not, just as an author does, just as a director does.  No I really have been against this kind of thing for a long time but it is such a constant, I can't blame him for being in the middle of what everyone does.  All in all from an advertising standpoint, he made a great ad even if it was morally wrong to do it, it's in a sea of similar.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 09:35:31 AM »
LOL!  True  ;D

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »

Yeah, about as creepy as McCain's ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTu7drLfRc