Author Topic: Down with Christmas  (Read 1019 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Down with Christmas
« on: December 21, 2007, 09:23:48 AM »
War On Christmas Continues
from Gary Bauer's Newsletter
December 17, 2007

The Left’s war on Christmas continues this year. Barbara Walters, co-host of ABC’s The View, spent much of last Thursday’s show grumbling about receiving a Christmas card from President and Mrs. Bush that included a Bible verse. Walters said, “First of all, let me show you the cover of the White House, which is nice and bland…so that’s pleasant enough. This is what interested me, that it is a religious card. Usually, in the past when I have received a Christmas card, it’s been ‘happy holidays’ and so on… ” The scripture verse Walters was so irritated about says: “You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You gave life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you.”

Walters seemed astonished that on a religious holiday (which literally means “holy day”) someone would want to send a religious greeting card. Such a complaint might seem absurd to us, but to liberal elites like Walters, Christmas shouldn’t have anything to do with anything so “divisive” as Christ’s birth. Rather, it should be an all-inclusive celebration, a time when people from all cultures and religions can come together to celebrate equally what they hold in common.

Following her rant, and even as her co-hosts attempted to steer the conversation towards a new topic, Walters repeatedly returned to her bafflement over the Christmas card. “Don’t you think it’s a little interesting that the president of all the people is sending out a religious Christmas card?” Walters asked. She then showed her co-hosts a card sent to her by Elton John and his “partner” that had angels on the cover but wished people “happy holidays.” Of course, a greeting that included “Merry Christmas” would have been a curious choice for the man who recently stated publicly that all organized religions should be banned.

Christians are used to attempts to secularize Christmas. In recent years commonsense has taken a back seat to political correctness and multiculturalism, and in many government schools all recognition of Christmas has been banned. Some schools have gone to the extreme of trying to include all religious or cultural traditions in their holiday celebrations, even those celebrated by just a few students. But one (not surprisingly, very liberal) school district near Washington, D.C., has gone to the other extreme and decided that it will not recognize any religious celebrations this year, which once again proves that those who attempt to believe in everything end up believing in nothing.

Another front in the Christmas wars are our shopping centers. Many retailers have in recent years embraced the false belief that even the acknowledgment of Christmas is insensitive, and many stores have enacted policies that require employees to greet customers with the Barbara Walters-approved “Happy Holidays” rather than the traditional “Merry Christmas,” since the latter may be offensive to the small percentage of Americans who do not celebrate Christmas. Happily, over the last couple years, some stores have revoked these policies and are now instructing their staff that “Merry Christmas” is acceptable. Last Christmas Season, parent companies representing twelve of the nation’s top 20 retailers responded to requests for clarification on their official policies regarding seasonal greetings that employees are allowed or encouraged to use. Most said “Merry Christmas” was allowed and even encouraged in some instances.

This is a good idea. The vast majority of Americans prefer that Christmas be recognized in public places. A recent Rasmussen Reports poll found that 67 percent of respondents preferred to be wished “Merry Christmas,” while just 26 percent preferred “Happy Holidays.” The poll also showed that Americans of almost every subset—including men (69 percent), women (65 percent), married people (69 percent), unmarried people (64 percent), Republicans (88 percent), Democrats (57 percent) and third party supporters (57 percent), all age groups and all but the lowest income group—preferred the traditional Christmas greeting by large margins.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Down with Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 09:28:27 AM »
War On Christmas Continues
from Gary Bauer's Newsletter
December 17, 2007

The Left’s war on Christmas continues this year. Barbara Walters, co-host of ABC’s The View, spent much of last Thursday’s show grumbling about receiving a Christmas card from President and Mrs. Bush that included a Bible verse. Walters said, “First of all, let me show you the cover of the White House, which is nice and bland…so that’s pleasant enough. This is what interested me, that it is a religious card. Usually, in the past when I have received a Christmas card, it’s been ‘happy holidays’ and so on… ” The scripture verse Walters was so irritated about says: “You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You gave life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you.”

Walters seemed astonished that on a religious holiday (which literally means “holy day”) someone would want to send a religious greeting card. Such a complaint might seem absurd to us, but to liberal elites like Walters, Christmas shouldn’t have anything to do with anything so “divisive” as Christ’s birth. Rather, it should be an all-inclusive celebration, a time when people from all cultures and religions can come together to celebrate equally what they hold in common.

Following her rant, and even as her co-hosts attempted to steer the conversation towards a new topic, Walters repeatedly returned to her bafflement over the Christmas card. “Don’t you think it’s a little interesting that the president of all the people is sending out a religious Christmas card?” Walters asked. She then showed her co-hosts a card sent to her by Elton John and his “partner” that had angels on the cover but wished people “happy holidays.” Of course, a greeting that included “Merry Christmas” would have been a curious choice for the man who recently stated publicly that all organized religions should be banned.

Christians are used to attempts to secularize Christmas. In recent years commonsense has taken a back seat to political correctness and multiculturalism, and in many government schools all recognition of Christmas has been banned. Some schools have gone to the extreme of trying to include all religious or cultural traditions in their holiday celebrations, even those celebrated by just a few students. But one (not surprisingly, very liberal) school district near Washington, D.C., has gone to the other extreme and decided that it will not recognize any religious celebrations this year, which once again proves that those who attempt to believe in everything end up believing in nothing.

Another front in the Christmas wars are our shopping centers. Many retailers have in recent years embraced the false belief that even the acknowledgment of Christmas is insensitive, and many stores have enacted policies that require employees to greet customers with the Barbara Walters-approved “Happy Holidays” rather than the traditional “Merry Christmas,” since the latter may be offensive to the small percentage of Americans who do not celebrate Christmas. Happily, over the last couple years, some stores have revoked these policies and are now instructing their staff that “Merry Christmas” is acceptable. Last Christmas Season, parent companies representing twelve of the nation’s top 20 retailers responded to requests for clarification on their official policies regarding seasonal greetings that employees are allowed or encouraged to use. Most said “Merry Christmas” was allowed and even encouraged in some instances.

This is a good idea. The vast majority of Americans prefer that Christmas be recognized in public places. A recent Rasmussen Reports poll found that 67 percent of respondents preferred to be wished “Merry Christmas,” while just 26 percent preferred “Happy Holidays.” The poll also showed that Americans of almost every subset—including men (69 percent), women (65 percent), married people (69 percent), unmarried people (64 percent), Republicans (88 percent), Democrats (57 percent) and third party supporters (57 percent), all age groups and all but the lowest income group—preferred the traditional Christmas greeting by large margins.

Good grief.  You'd think people can just be happy during this most wonderful time of the year. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 09:33:44 AM »
This whole thing has just got completely out of hand.  Some people just need a bottle of chill pills.

Aren't there more important things to worry about like Hunger and Shelter for the poor?   But instead people are wasting time and energy over stupid crap.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:36:51 AM »
This whole thing has just got completely out of hand.  Some people just need a bottle of chill pills.

Aren't there more important things to worry about like Hunger and Shelter for the poor?   But instead people are wasting time and energy over stupid crap.
You would think things like hunger and shelter, especially this time of year is more important.  You're right, bro.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:40:09 AM »
people like this bother me. they still want the presents, time off work, parties, etc...... but yet they are offended by what the real meaning of the day is. they want christmas but dont want it to be about christ. if they are that against it then why do they even want to celebrate?

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:43:05 AM »
I hate Christmas as much as the next scrooge, but these fanatics like Walters make me sick.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:50:32 AM »
You would think things like hunger and shelter, especially this time of year is more important.  You're right, bro.

It's stuff like this that give liberals a bad name and turn people away from the causes that are actually important like human rights, Health care, social services.

Did you hear about that boot store someplace in America that gives it's customers a 5% discount they say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays?   I think that's great. 

A movement needs to begin to "take back Christmas"!!!!!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:03:16 AM »
It's stuff like this that give liberals a bad name and turn people away from the causes that are actually important like human rights, Health care, social services.

Did you hear about that boot store someplace in America that gives it's customers a 5% discount they say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays?   I think that's great. 

A movement needs to begin to "take back Christmas"!!!!!
Didn't hear about that.  That's pretty cool!  I'd like to see more events like that take place.   :)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
Remember 2 years ago when Target got involved in litigation and had to remove all Merry Christmas ornaments in store front windows, I believe they only had 1 kind of X-Mas stocking stuffer gift card and it siad merry christmas and they had to remove it as well, that shit sickens me.

btw

Merry Christmas

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »
I say Merry Christmas to anyone, their background/religion be damned.  If someone says something like Happy Hannakuh to me, I don't get offended one bit.  I oft just say it back, and thankee.  People are overly sensitive now, but only because it can net them money via civil litigation.  Ugh.

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 01:10:06 PM »
I am agnostic but Christmas is a religous holiday celebrating the birth of christ....If Walters has a problem with that, then she shouldnt celebrate it instead of trying to transform it into something that suits her....She got a christmas card with a religious message and was offended, what a bunch of crap....Instead of respecting the message of sincerity of the card, she got offended and spit back...

Seperation of church and state doesnt mean that on a religious holiday, a president cant send out a card, or even say merry christmas....It means that the holiday, or the message it carries of christ, should not affect any decision he makes in office....

Which begs the question i read somewhere....Why are govt. institutions closed on holidays like christmas? That is a gray area to me....Im not sure which way to go on whether the question points out a right or a wrong....I think it was actually Ron Paul that brought out that point....

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 02:38:19 PM »
the older i get the less i like christmas, when your a kid its all magical and shit but eventually you get to see if for what it really is, a thing designed to encourage mass spending and shit like that, for an entire month there is traffic at all times of the day, stores are packed, people are stressed to the balls, money gets drained, all because of what your 'supposed' to do. its all fake. its a money creation.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »
I am agnostic but Christmas is a religous holiday celebrating the birth of christ....If Walters has a problem with that, then she shouldnt celebrate it instead of trying to transform it into something that suits her....She got a christmas card with a religious message and was offended, what a bunch of crap....Instead of respecting the message of sincerity of the card, she got offended and spit back...

Seperation of church and state doesnt mean that on a religious holiday, a president cant send out a card, or even say merry christmas....It means that the holiday, or the message it carries of christ, should not affect any decision he makes in office....

Which begs the question i read somewhere....Why are govt. institutions closed on holidays like christmas? That is a gray area to me....Im not sure which way to go on whether the question points out a right or a wrong....I think it was actually Ron Paul that brought out that point....

Yes.  Well said.  I agree. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 02:53:14 PM »
I have to agree with Matrix....christmas was great as a kid...but life was simpler then just as I'm sure my parents think like we do now. They start the bullshit after Halloween and it doesn't stop till all the crap is gone in Feb.
L