Author Topic: ANOTHER DEADLIFT REPITITION QUESTION AND POLL!!!!!!!  (Read 5022 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
ANOTHER DEADLIFT REPITITION QUESTION AND POLL!!!!!!!
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:16:19 PM »
last night they had the 2006 WSM on ESPN and one of the events was the deadlift for reps event where they had two small cars on platforms and a bar connecting them and they said the weight in the hands was 728 and quite a few guys got 15 plus reps and this wasn't a partial, that bar started at a conventional deadlift bar height, what do you think? my opinion is that the weight was more like 550-575 still a shitload of weight for that rep range.

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Re: ANOTHER DEADLIFT REPITITION QUESTION AND POLL!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 05:20:06 PM »
That makes sense...take off a couple of hundred pounds.  Sounds reasonable to me.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 05:22:53 PM »
last night they had the 2006 WSM on ESPN and one of the events was the deadlift for reps event where they had two small cars on platforms and a bar connecting them and they said the weight in the hands was 728 and quite a few guys got 15 plus reps and this wasn't a partial, that bar started at a conventional deadlift bar height, what do you think? my opinion is that the weight was more like 550-575 still a shitload of weight for that rep range.
i agree they hype up the weights on all that shit its more like 335
A

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 05:24:11 PM »
no it's not that low but if 5-6 guys are getting 16-17 reps it sure as shit isnt 728.

Stavios

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 05:24:25 PM »
not as low as that DW

but not 700 plus pound

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 05:24:31 PM »
I could do 335 for 15 reps, give me a break, are you stoned again?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 05:25:07 PM »
I WATCHED THAT MYSELF! iT'S HINGED UP AND HOOKED UP TO AN APPARATUS SO IT'S NOT THE SAME BUT STILL..RATED AT 728?? THAT'S NUTZ!!!

BUT IF IT'S HINGED UP... THAT MEANS SOME OF THE WEIGHT IS RESTED ON THE GROUDN SOMEWHERE! Just like flipping heavy ass tires..you're not picking up the whole 500 or whatever else lbs...

still...glad to see the usa take it home when I didn't get a chance to see the whole thing.. marius was PISSED!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 05:28:06 PM »
I WATCHED THAT MYSELF! iT'S HINGED UP AND HOOKED UP TO AN APPARATUS SO IT'S NOT THE SAME BUT STILL..RATED AT 728?? THAT'S NUTZ!!!

BUT IF IT'S HINGED UP... THAT MEANS SOME OF THE WEIGHT IS RESTED ON THE GROUDN SOMEWHERE! Just like flipping heavy ass tires..you're not picking up the whole 500 or whatever else lbs...

still...glad to see the usa take it home when I didn't get a chance to see the whole thing.. marius was PISSED!

Phister is an awesome competitor.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 05:28:43 PM »
it's a lever, so yeah the weight's probably more like 550 give or take at the point of the lift. still beastly to hit 15+ reps with it.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »
it's a lever, so yeah the weight's probably more like 550 give or take at the point of the lift. still beastly to hit 15+ reps with it.
exactly and a few of those guys were tall like Phister and Mark Felix.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 05:30:09 PM »
Is the weight including the immigrants smuggled inside them?

For real though, that many dudes repping out 700+ 15x is as believable as a JOJ 7 plate squat for 17 at the end of his squat workout.  Big strong dudes though.
Squishy face retard

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 05:33:51 PM »
exactly and a few of those guys were tall like Phister and Mark Felix.

a while ago when i was at a more "real PL" gym, they had an exercise that taught you to lean back into the pull. they'd put two bars down parallel to each other up against the wall, and a plate on each one on the other end. you'd stand between the bars and basically do a somewhat goofy two-bar deadlift. i'm probably describing it poorly, but think of it like a mix between a deadlift and a t-bar row.

anyway, when the bar's stationary and on an arc like that, it's also a little easier since you can lean back into it like crazy. you can really load the weight on.

i remember one year one of the younger guys in the WSM was doing the barrel deadlift and the weight was near 750, and halfway up he actually rested the weight on his thighs while he flipped his one hand from under to over grip. now it was obviously incredibly heavy, but 750 pounds sitting dead weight on his leg about two inches above the knee? i'm not sure about that.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »

It is very far from being a true deadlift.  the bar is set higher than a bar with just plates on it.  In addition you can use bodyweight to help it up by leaning back a lot further than if it was with a bar.  the weight they is as true as it can be.  If I remember right in Hawaii when they were setting up the event they used some kind of hydrallic press under the bar to measure how much it weighed.  They place the bar higher so it is easier than a conventional deadlift and so they competitors can lift more which makes it more exciting to watch.  P

http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/wsm/2006/the_final.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2bwP8Q_lYA

&feature=related
about 4:30 in

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 07:54:20 PM »

if you notice, as they lift the bar moves into them for what seems to be 9 to 12 inchs...

seems to me if you can lean all the way back without paying a price,the top 1/3 of the lift is bodywieght assisted............you can really tell as their form breaks down in the last couple of reps !

that bars a 1/4 if not a 1/3 up over his quad

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 07:48:08 AM »
It is very far from being a true deadlift.  the bar is set higher than a bar with just plates on it.  In addition you can use bodyweight to help it up by leaning back a lot further than if it was with a bar.  the weight they is as true as it can be.  If I remember right in Hawaii when they were setting up the event they used some kind of hydrallic press under the bar to measure how much it weighed.  They place the bar higher so it is easier than a conventional deadlift and so they competitors can lift more which makes it more exciting to watch.  P

http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/wsm/2006/the_final.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2bwP8Q_lYA

&feature=related
about 4:30 in
actually if you watched it on TV the bar was aset at exactly the same height it would be for a conventional deadlift in the gym but as for the bar moving backwards and into the body i agree with you, it did appear to be going backwards so that may have made the weight feel lighter.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »
Phister is an awesome competitor.

Phister?  I barely knew her

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 08:03:59 AM »
Thats nothing. I could deadlift a Mack truck!

Whenever I saw that event, I always thought the bar was at a higher point than it would be if it was on the floor. Though, it is obviously hard to judge since you are not actually there.
X

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 08:09:18 AM »
Thats nothing. I could deadlift a Mack truck!

Whenever I saw that event, I always thought the bar was at a higher point than it would be if it was on the floor. Though, it is obviously hard to judge since you are not actually there.
no, the bar was mid shin or maybe an inch lower just like a conventional gym deadlift.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 08:11:22 AM »
no, the bar was mid shin or maybe an inch lower just like a conventional gym deadlift.

The comp you saw yesterday, was it a new one or a past one?
X

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 08:14:07 AM »
The comp you saw yesterday, was it a new one or a past one?
the one that was on ESPN the day before yesterday, it was the 2006 WSM.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 08:15:21 AM »

I love watchin the WSM, but I've wondered the same thing.   No doubt the fellas competing are absolute beasts, but like every bb mag out there they're gotta add some hype and bullshit.  I believe most of the competitors could pull 700+lbs, but not for 14-16 reps.....maybe 2 or 3......nah, the weights gotta be 150lbs off what they quote or the platform the weight is attached to relieves a chunk of the poundage.   They can say whatever cause who's gonna verify it?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 08:18:30 AM »
I love watchin the WSM, but I've wondered the same thing.   No doubt the fellas competing are absolute beasts, but like everybody bb mag out there they're gotta add some hype and bullshit.  I believe most of the competitors could pull 700+lbs, but not for 14-16 reps.....maybe 2 or 3......nah, the weights gotta be 150lbs off what they quote or the platform the weight is attached to relieves a chunk of the poundage.   They can say whatever cause who's gonna verify it?
exactly, i remember a few years ago they hadan actual barbell deadlift for a max single event at World's Strongest Man, it may have been 2002 or 2003 and the max that guys were pulling was 700-750 for very hard singles, i remember that freak Andy "stumpy" Raines from Engalnd did well in it, he was the 5'2" 270 pounder.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 08:21:17 AM »
exactly, i remember a few years ago they hadan actual barbell deadlift for a max single event at World's Strongest Man, it may have been 2002 or 2003 and the max that guys were pulling was 700-750 for very hard singles, i remember that freak Andy "stumpy" Raines from Engalnd did well in it, he was the 5'2" 270 pounder.

I remember that guy "stumpy'. In one event, they have to carry like a big piece of rock and the poor guy couldn't get his arms around it. So, he had to use this apparatur that connected his 2 hands together so he can hold it. A couple of the other competitors complained. Though, I know how he feels because I am only 5'4"  :)
X

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 08:23:53 AM »
I remmeber that guy "stumpy'. In one event, they have to carry like a big piece of rock and the poor guy couldn't get his arms around it. So, he had to use this apparatur that connected his 2 hands together so he can hold it. A couple of the other competitors complained. Though, I know how he feels because I am only 5'4"  :)
that fuccker was THICK with a capital T, strange to see a guy that short and massively developed pull a big deadlift, they're usually way better squatters and benchers.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
that fuccker was THICK with a capital T, strange to see a guy that short and massively developed pull a big deadlift, they're usually way better squatters and benchers.

Well, I assume one reason they are better deadlifters and squatters is because of the shorter rang eof motion they have to move the weight! ::shrugs:::....Either way, one for the short guys :)
X