Author Topic: Another defeat for "Intelligent Design" Theology  (Read 1990 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Another defeat for "Intelligent Design" Theology
« on: December 22, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »
... this time in a school district in Florida. Here's the link:
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec/22/na-polk-needled-noodled-in-evolution-flap/

Some notable quotes from the article:

Public floggings hurt, even when administered by satirical sacred noodles.

"They've made us the laughingstock of the world," said Margaret Lofton, a school board member who supports intelligent design.

"I think all of us have a vested interest in not seeing science standards lowered - or in this case having the definition of science changed to allow supernatural theories."

Elsberry wrote: "You've been conned. 'Intelligent design' is a legal sham, a con game, one whose sole purpose is to insert a narrow sectarian doctrine into public school classrooms."

"It's not science," Goodman said. "You can't even call it pseudo-science."

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Another defeat for "Intelligent Design" Theology
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:47:53 PM »
"It's not science," Goodman said. "You can't even call it pseudo-science."

Oh, but it is.

EVERY so-named 'scientific discovery' began with a guess. 

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »
Oh, but it is.

EVERY so-named 'scientific discovery' began with a guess. 

BULLSHIT !!!

Science is based on "educated" guesses (Hypothesis) that have strong PHYSICAL evidence and then researched over and over.

Religion is based on faith and heresay.

Now go get your quote from the fucking bible...blah...blah...bl ah.

_Morrison_

• Getbig II
  • People age like milk.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:50:21 PM »
I think that part of why some people believe in the intelligent design theory is due to the arrogant thought that we've been designed intelligently.  As a predominantly self-absorbed species, we tend to think far too highly of ourselves.
They do.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 10:55:16 PM »
I think that part of why some people believe in the intelligent design theory is due to the arrogant thought that we've been designed intelligently.  As a predominantly self-absorbed species, we tend to think far too highly of ourselves.

true.

This holy roller at work showed me the intelligent design video.  It was interesting.  He knows I think God is bullshit so he says at the end..."If that isn't 100% proof I don't know what is."   ::)

Man...they just don't get it.  But I know they think the same about me.  Oh well.   ;D

_Morrison_

• Getbig II
  • People age like milk.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 10:59:29 PM »
true.

This holy roller at work showed me the intelligent design video.  It was interesting.  He knows I think God is bullshit so he says at the end..."If that isn't 100% proof I don't know what is."   ::)

Man...they just don't get it.  But I know they think the same about me.  Oh well.   ;D

People are always gonna believe what they believe.  It takes something way bigger than some guy with a mouth to change a person's mind.
They do.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 02:34:13 AM »
Intelligent Design has been clearly shown to be theology, not science. Specifically it is Christian theology. Under the Constitution, if school districts want to teach ID in schools, they are also required to teach Flying Spaghetti Monster creationism.

Moreover, any church that receives federal money under some faith-based initiative is required to teach Darwin in Sunday school :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 02:49:04 AM »
Intelligent Design has been clearly shown to be theology, not science. Specifically it is Christian theology. Under the Constitution, if school districts want to teach ID in schools, they are also required to teach Flying Spaghetti Monster creationism.

Moreover, any church that receives federal money under some faith-based initiative is required to teach Darwin in Sunday school :)

I am an advocate of Unintelligent Design. ;D
I hate the State.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 07:58:25 AM »
BULLSHIT !!!

Science is based on "educated" guesses (Hypothesis) that have strong PHYSICAL evidence and then researched over and over.

Religion is based on faith and heresay.

It's not about religion, though - it's about leaving open the door for the possibility that something other than nothing 'created' all the moving parts and set things in motion which led to what we have today.

This concept in no way supports any of the creation stories or other fairy tales contained in the various holy books around the world. 

_Morrison_

• Getbig II
  • People age like milk.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »
It's not about religion, though - it's about leaving open the door for the possibility that something other than nothing 'created' all the moving parts and set things in motion which led to what we have today.

This concept in no way supports any of the creation stories or other fairy tales contained in the various holy books around the world. 

But it wants there to be something more than what we see.  That's the nature of EVERY religion.  I'm not saying that there can't be, but every religious belief ever was conceived as an explanation for the world around us.
They do.