Author Topic: Strength Vs Muscle Size  (Read 1968 times)

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
Strength Vs Muscle Size
« on: December 29, 2007, 03:46:03 AM »
There are quite a few guys in my regular gym who can Bench 405, Most are on the Juice and very big but there are a few who would be considered small but can Bench,Squat,Deadlift very big numbers but there physiques do not represent this most are not even 200 pounds at average height.
Is it Tendon strength (Who knows).
My 3 friends who i met in the 90s are very big dudes and are on everything,1 is on Slin,HGH, Ive been clean for 3 years but we still get along and hangout.We all learnt that lifting extremely Heavy was not the way to go and they have grown like weeds,They lift for example BP 315 for about 12 -15,Squat 495 for 8 -12,Deadlift 495 for 8 most days they will not even lift these high numbers,Cocentrating on moderate weight for high reps
Even when i was on i could not Bench 405 but we get a handfull of guys who look ordinary at average height 200 pounds or under lifting extrodinary numbers on the big 3 yet they do not have much muscle,Why is this.
Natural my strength is pityfull at my genetic limit is 225 pounds at 6ft lean natural i can only do 90s for 12to15 on shoulder press Bench 280 for 12 and squat 315 for 8 but there are these mutants clean Benching,Squatting,Deadlifting very big numbers and are scrawney.
I see no correlation between Strength and Muscle size in a large group of individuals who could be considered scrawney.
I Know there clean because i know the dealer in the area and i know what everyone is on.
Im Perplexed
Arnold For President 2012.2016

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Strength Vs Muscle Size
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 03:48:26 AM »
some guys are stronger than other guys
Z

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:58:43 AM »
Chris Mason Floored me when he was Deadlifting some extrodinary weight and he was not huge but looked like an advanced gym rat.
It must have something to do with Tendon Strenght, thats the only ansew i can come up with,If anybody else has any insight please tell.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 04:00:24 AM »
i hate it when people with much bigger arms then me train like little pussies and move no weight at all.

i wish size would equil the amount of work puted in. and there where no steroids and everyone had the same kind of genetics for building up muscle tissue, maybe its just jealousy but its kind of frustrating that some guys dont have to do anything for growth.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 04:02:17 AM »
i hate it when people with much bigger arms then me train like little pussies and move no weight at all.

They do that just for you, mars. They know that you hate that.    >:(

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 04:04:15 AM »
haha yeah my genetics suck ass for arms.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 04:20:31 AM »
Chris Mason Floored me when he was Deadlifting some extrodinary weight and he was not huge but looked like an advanced gym rat.
It must have something to do with Tendon Strenght, thats the only ansew i can come up with,If anybody else has any insight please tell.

if you wanna know about training check out the training board which i happen to moderate

hope this helps
Z

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 04:29:49 AM »
if you wanna know about training check out the training board which i happen to moderate

hope this helps
Ive trained for 17 years the only Training technique i do not know much of is for Power Lifting.If its on the Training Board i will look it up.Thanks

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 04:32:52 AM »

;D ;D ;D

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 04:42:16 AM »

i wish size would equil the amount of work puted in. and there where no steroids and everyone had the same kind of genetics for building up muscle tissue, maybe its just jealousy but its kind of frustrating that some guys dont have to do anything for growth.

Still not happy with the cycle results eh mars?

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 04:43:51 AM »
im natural jackass.

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 04:47:09 AM »
im natural jackass.

Hahaha good one "mars"

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 04:47:57 AM »
Z

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 06:03:47 AM »
I see little guys throwing up 315 like it was nothing..I struggle with 315 for 5 reps...I think that I have weak-average strength
Here comes the money shot

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 06:06:51 AM »
I see little guys throwing up 315 like it was nothing..I struggle with 315 for 5 reps...I think that I have weak-average strength
My strength Natural is pityfull, Its Embarresing

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 06:09:41 AM »
im very weak,,i lift like a 15 yo girl

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 06:12:56 AM »
My strength Natural is pityfull, Its Embarresing

maybe we need to start cycling this

http://www.anabolichalo.com/technology/index.shtml

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 06:18:42 AM »
maybe we need to start cycling this

http://www.anabolichalo.com/technology/index.shtml

LMAO, where do they come up with this crap

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 07:04:38 AM »
You can not just compare the strength of one person to the one of another, like you say leverage among things makes a huge difference.

Besides you are not able to tell, even if their form on the outside looks impeccable, if they're working the muscle to the same degree as you are (or vice versa for that mather).

If a guy is benching 400 pounds in good form and from a bodybuilding perspective, not just trying to move the weight from a to b, he can never only be 200 lbs unless he's underfed or very short.

I've seen plenty of small guys move big weights for their size in what looked like impeccable form, yet you could tell the only thing they were interested in was just moving the weight 

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 07:09:05 AM »

I see no correlation between Strength and Muscle size in a large group of individuals who could be considered scrawney.

Here's the thing: there is a correlation within that particular individual! What I mean is, if a guy is currently doing 500 for 10 on the deadlift and works up to 600 for 10 he will generally be bigger. You can't compare two different individuals like that since so much differs, muscle length, tendon length/strenght, leverages, neural efficiency, fiber type and etc etc. See what I mean?

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 07:22:15 AM »
You can not just compare the strength of one person to the one of another, like you say leverage among things makes a huge difference.

Besides you are not able to tell, even if their form on the outside looks impeccable, if they're working the muscle to the same degree as you are (or vice versa for that mather).

If a guy is benching 400 pounds in good form and from a bodybuilding perspective, not just trying to move the weight from a to b, he can never only be 200 lbs unless he's underfed or very short.

I've seen plenty of small guys move big weights for their size in what looked like impeccable form, yet you could tell the only thing they were interested in was just moving the weight 
Here's the thing: there is a correlation within that particular individual! What I mean is, if a guy is currently doing 500 for 10 on the deadlift and works up to 600 for 10 he will generally be bigger. You can't compare two different individuals like that since so much differs, muscle length, tendon length/strenght, leverages, neural efficiency, fiber type and etc etc. See what I mean?
Thanks for the input i am starting to understand your reasoning.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 07:23:43 AM »

this is the best answer. way too many variables to compare individual to individual, but i guarantee that if in 2008 you're benching 100 more lbs in the same style and form for the same reps, your chest, tris and delts are going to be more developed.

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 09:11:31 AM »
lots of it is mental many of the guys pushing 315 dont even know its a big deal for most the second they find out it is they get weak when they see 315

all this talk about wow ronnie uses say 125 for millitary presses means that because you know he does 125 you cant do more then 80 or so you get my point

I also think the key is mixing things up, do one week heavy movements then 3 weeks lighter weight higher reps

guys training alone at home will grow faster then those who go to a gym, alone at home you are yourself you lift the correct weight in the gym you feel shit I cant just life 35lbs so you go for higher weight and risking injury and not making good gains.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 09:19:41 AM »
lots of it is mental many of the guys pushing 315 dont even know its a big deal for most the second they find out it is they get weak when they see 315

all this talk about wow ronnie uses say 125 for millitary presses means that because you know he does 125 you cant do more then 80 or so you get my point

I also think the key is mixing things up, do one week heavy movements then 3 weeks lighter weight higher reps

guys training alone at home will grow faster then those who go to a gym, alone at home you are yourself you lift the correct weight in the gym you feel shit I cant just life 35lbs so you go for higher weight and risking injury and not making good gains.

part of what your are saying is true...now in the gym I couldn't give a shit what weight others are moving..and I don't give a shit what others think about the weight that I am moving!

my muscles respond to different weights at different angles on different machines.

here is an example:

I can bench 315 for 5 or 6 reps...

but to be honest I get a great/better chest work out using 225 (lots of sets) with  slow negatives or 1-2 second pause at the bottom
I find that my 6-8 set of using 225 really makes my chest hurt the next day

225 is nothing impressive but I feel that it works my chest the best.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 02:35:41 PM »
you can only do 90's for 12 to 15 on shoulder press?    HA....pussy...thats light ::)