Author Topic: Pope's exorcist squads will wage war on Satan  (Read 5899 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Pope's exorcist squads will wage war on Satan
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:55:12 PM »
 by Nich Pisa, Daily Mail
Reposted from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=504969&in_page_id=1811

The Pope has ordered his bishops to set up exorcism squads to tackle the rise of Satanism.

Vatican chiefs are concerned at what they see as an increased interest in the occult.

They have introduced courses for priests to combat what they call the most extreme form of "Godlessness."

Each bishop is to be told to have in his diocese a number of priests trained to fight demonic possession.

The initiative was revealed by 82-year-old Father Gabriele Amorth, the Vatican "exorcistinchief," to the online Catholic news service Petrus.

"Thanks be to God, we have a Pope who has decided to fight the Devil head-on," he said.

"Too many bishops are not taking this seriously and are not delegating their priests in the fight against the Devil. You have to hunt high and low for a properly trained exorcist.

"Thankfully, Benedict XVI believes in the existence and danger of evil - going back to the time he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith." The CDF is the oldest Vatican department and was headed by Benedict from 1982, when he was Cardinal Ratzinger, until he became Pope in 2005.

Father Amorth said that during his time at the department Benedict had not lost the chance to warn humanity of the risk from the Devil.

He said the Pope wants to restore a prayer seen as protection against evil that was traditionally recited at the end of Catholic Masses. The prayer, to St Michael the Archangel, was dropped in the 1960s by Pope John XXIII.

"The prayer is useful not only for priests but also for lay people in helping to fight demons," he said.

Father Paolo Scarafoni, who lectures on the Vatican's exorcism course, said interest in Satanism and the occult has grown as people lost faith with the church.

He added: "People suffer and think that turning to the Devil can help solve their problems. We are being bombarded by requests for exorcisms."

The Vatican is particularly concerned that young people are being exposed to the influence of Satanic sects through rock music and the Internet.

In theory, under the Catholic Church's Canon Law 1172, all priests can perform exorcisms. But in reality only a select few are assigned the task.

Under the law, practitioners must have "piety, knowledge, prudence, and integrity of life."

The rite of exorcism involves a series of gestures and prayers to invoke the power of God and stop the "demon" influencing its victim.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Pope's exorcist squads will wage war on Satan
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:36:04 AM »
Scary book I read a long time ago

R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:41:02 AM »
Stella, what do you think about demons, possession, and exorcism? Would you agree with me that this is a big stinking pile of religious baloney?

Herr Ratzinger makes me ashamed to admit that I was once Catholic. (Well, I'm still Catholic in theory, since I haven't been excommunicated!)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:56:05 AM »
Stella, what do you think about demons, possession, and exorcism? Would you agree with me that this is a big stinking pile of religious baloney?

Herr Ratzinger makes me ashamed to admit that I was once Catholic. (Well, I'm still Catholic in theory, since I haven't been excommunicated!)
I believe demons are real and that demon possession can happen.  I do believe that exorcism can occur but I'm not sure how successful all of them really are.

As for Catholicism, well you know I have many problems w/that from praying to dead humans to forbidding priests to marry to the whole papacy etc....

Re: that book Hostage to the Devil.....I can't remember if I found the exorcism coverage as scriptural or not but I remember it was very scary!  I'll see if I can find it and leaf through it a bit if you are interested. 
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 12:02:35 PM »
quote author=STella link=topic=192640.msg2652184#msg2652184 date=1199044565]
I believe demons are real and that demon possession can happen. [/quote]

Do you believe that demons are "real" as in they are material objects, made of atoms? Or do you believe they are "spirits"? Either way, what evidence do you have of their existence?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 12:09:50 PM »

Do you believe that demons are "real" as in they are material objects, made of atoms? Or do you believe they are "spirits"? Either way, what evidence do you have of their existence?

Spirits.  And of course you won't like this but my belief is based in scripture.

I also believe that there aren't such things as "ghosts" of dead people walking around on earth.  I do believe in holy angels and unholy angels (or demons which were angels that fell w/Satan) and that they are around us.  I think that "ghosts" or haunting experiences that people see and have can be attributed to angels and demons...but not "spirits" of dead humans.

coldude, do you believe in "ghosts" or hauntings of any types? 

R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »
No, I don't believe in ghosts and hauntings, in the same way I don't believe in fairies, gods, angels, and demons. There is no evidence for them whatsoever.

Here's where I was going with my post, Stella:

1. When I asked if you had any evidence for the existence of the demons, you said your belied is based in Scripture. I take this to mean that you have no evidence. Your belief in demons illustrates perfectly well my definition of faith: "belief without evidence, or even belief in spite of evidence."

2. Whenever an atheist such as Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, or even your humble servant says critical things about religious beliefs in angels and demons, we are immediately accused of attacking straw men, and told that religion is not beholden to such superstitions, and referred to Anglican bishops and "serious theologians" who say things like: "Well of course we don't really believe in a physical hell, in Satan, or demons..."

Yet it is clear that many (perhaps most) believers don't agree with the "serious theologians" who we are told represent "real" religion, and many believers still believe in demons and such.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 12:42:50 PM »

2. Whenever an atheist such as Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, or even your humble servant says critical things about religious beliefs in angels and demons, we are immediately accused of attacking straw men, and told that religion is not beholden to such superstitions, and referred to Anglican bishops and "serious theologians" who say things like: "Well of course we don't really believe in a physical hell, in Satan, or demons..."

Well if I've accused anyone of attacking straw men that was not my intention.  Have I done that?  Please give me an example when I did as I had to go to wikipedia re: "straw men" LOL Seriously :-[

referred to Anglican bishops and "serious theologians" who say things like: "Well of course we don't really believe in a physical hell, in Satan, or demons..."

Yet it is clear that many (perhaps most) believers don't agree with the "serious theologians" who we are told represent "real" religion, and many believers still believe in demons and such.
I wouldn't agree w/any Anglican bishops or "serious theologians" that didn't believe in a physical hell or Satan or demons either.  So I guess I don't understand the point of your last post?  Sorry!  Maybe it was just an observation?

R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 01:32:58 PM »
Stella, I did not say you were accusing anyone of attacking straw men. Here's what I said:

When atheists criticize superstitious beliefs in demons and physical hell and all that, we always get a deluge of replies (in the press) from theologians and clergymen saying these are cheap tactics and that religious people don't believe these things to be literally true, that sophisticated theology has long ago stopped believing in a literal hell and all that.

Yet lots of believers, such as yourself, believe in these things. Therefore, it is perfectly legitimate to discuss such beliefs.

Here's a question for you: If you believe that hell is a physical place, but that demons are spirits and not physical beings, then who administers the torture in hell? Who holds the forks and spikes and drags the sinners into the fire? ... Wouldn't demons have to have physical bodies to do that?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 04:20:06 PM »
Stella, I did not say you were accusing anyone of attacking straw men. Here's what I said:

When atheists criticize superstitious beliefs in demons and physical hell and all that, we always get a deluge of replies (in the press) from theologians and clergymen saying these are cheap tactics and that religious people don't believe these things to be literally true, that sophisticated theology has long ago stopped believing in a literal hell and all that.

Yet lots of believers, such as yourself, believe in these things. Therefore, it is perfectly legitimate to discuss such beliefs.

OK thanks for clarifying coldude :)

Here's a question for you: If you believe that hell is a physical place, but that demons are spirits and not physical beings, then who administers the torture in hell? Who holds the forks and spikes and drags the sinners into the fire? ... Wouldn't demons have to have physical bodies to do that?
I don't believe hell is like the hell you see depicted in cartoons w/"devils" in red suits poking at people.  I think it is more of a place of outer darkness....where there is "weeping and gnashing of teeth...."  ....a place of sincere regret and sadness :(

A good idea for a thread coldude!
R

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 09:26:13 PM »
No, I don't believe in ghosts and hauntings, in the same way I don't believe in fairies, gods, angels, and demons. There is no evidence for them whatsoever.

Here's where I was going with my post, Stella:

1. When I asked if you had any evidence for the existence of the demons, you said your belied is based in Scripture. I take this to mean that you have no evidence. Your belief in demons illustrates perfectly well my definition of faith: "belief without evidence, or even belief in spite of evidence."

Watch the show Paranormal State...That is some scary shit. Dude has a demon that stalked him and followed and his team...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
Watch the show Paranormal State...That is some scary shit. Dude has a demon that stalked him and followed and his team...
What network is that on Parker? 
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 06:39:45 AM »

I guess you're not the one using the family brain cell at the moment...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 06:46:58 AM »
OK just went to wikipedia again...is the above an example of "ad hominem?"

I learn so much here :D
R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 06:56:19 AM »
Much as the alleged Jesus of Nazareth believed seizures to be the result of demonic possession so too does Stella believe this.

In fact she believes that demons and the Devil are the true source of illness.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 07:00:01 AM »

Yes, good question. Are hell and demons composed of matter and energy or are they something else entirely?
I hate the State.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »
What network is that on Parker? 

It's on A & E. This young guy has a team and they go to laces that are haunted. the one I saw the dude  and his team went to a home where  the previous owner  indicated that the place was haunted.  Turns out the family who own it it back in the day was killed by a worker. The worker and father were playing  cards and the worker said he wanted his way with the younger daughter, father said hell no, and the worker killed everybody. Top it off the bodies were buried across the street from the house.

Now the head of the team had some  kept having this name pop into his head he said. Well turns out, it is some demon that followed him there, and was wanting a showdown.

I think the dude works for the Vatican.

Ahhh, when you go to your grandparents house and feel  a brush air come across your face when you are by yourself in a room, and no doors or windows are open. And you used to be close to your grandfather, whose been deceased since 1985. It's kinda hard not to believe. 

BlueDevil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »

so how about an update on the "war on satan"  ::)

did he cave in yet ?