Author Topic: I have a dilemma!  (Read 2999 times)

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
I have a dilemma!
« on: December 30, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »
Monday afternoon I go to the ATM to grab some cash for my kids to shop with; we were on our way to get some last minute gifts.

The ATM displays a checking acct balance of $0.00; my jaw drops (WTH)!

I run back to the house jump on the laptop check my acct and to my chagrin there were 8 transactions that were not authorized. I immediately contacted the bank and reported it stolen. I called the local sheriff, filed a report, obtained copies of the dates and times of the charges which totaled $1650 not including over draft fees.

Wednesday Dec 26th I get a call from the Sheriff informing me that he had obtained three copies of video surveillance from several merchants where the unauthorized charges were carried out; all video time stamps coincided with the transaction dates and times provided to me by my bank.

Thursday Dec 27th I get another call from the Sheriff informing that the suspect has been apprehended and if I wanted to come see the person that allegedly committed the fraudulent transactions, of course I accepted.

What happened next broke my heart, the young person that used the bankcard was one of my little league football players that I coached a year ago who is now in High school.

What I found strange was I was asked if I wanted to press charges (of course after I told the Sheriff I knew the kid). I was also informed that the crime was a federal offense because it was over $500 and carrier a minimum penalty of 5 years.

If I didn’t press charges they would let the youth free.

What would you do?

BTW, the bank replaced all the monies that Thursday.

W

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
Re: I have a dilema!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 05:02:12 PM »
Monday afternoon I go to the ATM to grab some cash for my kids to shop with; we were on our way to get some last minute gifts.

I run back to the house jump on the laptop check my acct and to my chagrin there were 8 transactions that were not authorized. I immediately contacted the bank and reported it stolen. I called the local sheriff, filed a report, obtained copies of the dates and times of the charges which totaled $1650 not including over draft fees.

Wednesday Dec 26th I get a call from the Sheriff informing me that he had obtained three copies of video surveillance from several merchants where the unauthorized charges were carried out; all video time stamps coincided with the transaction dates and times provided to me by my bank.

Thursday Dec 27th I get another call from the Sheriff informing that the suspect has been apprehended and if I wanted to come see the person that allegedly committed the fraudulent transactions, of course I accepted.

What happened next broke my heart, the young person that used the bankcard was one of my little league football players that I coached a year ago who is now in High school.

What I found strange was I was asked if I wanted to press charges (of course after I told the Sheriff I knew the kid). I was also informed that the crime was a federal offense because it was over $500 and carrier a minimum penalty of 5 years.

What would you do?

Ruin him for life, no mercy. (Im serious because something similar happened to me)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »
But how did the kid get your personal info?  He would have needed that to use your card.  ??? Plus, that's pretty odd that they asked you if you wanted a viewing of the perpetrator.

I guess the answer would depend on how much you liked the kid, whether he was a little sh*t or basically good. He'd probably not suffer too much if it was a first time thing and you pressed charges. It seems equally strange that they would give you a choice though, since the fraud was also committed against the bank and they're the ones who lost the money in the end. 

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:40:24 PM »
But how did the kid get your personal info?  He would have needed that to use your card.

Deedee, you don't need personal info to swipe a bankcard, (ATM/Debit/Credit) the merchants rarely check for ID.

Plus, that's pretty odd that they asked you if you wanted a viewing of the perpetrator. .
If you recall I also said it was strange that they asked that but this is a small town e.g., the cop came to my house to take my statement and filed the report right there at my dining room table, maybe because when he got the call from his dispatcher he knew who I was by name because I coached his kids whom also play for the same little league football organization and he must have also recognized the youth. Apparently he was upset that this happened to someone he knew and he took a person interest in the case.

I guess the answer would depend on how much you liked the kid, whether he was a little sh*t or basically good. He'd probably not suffer too much if it was a first time thing and you pressed charges. It seems equally strange that they would give you a choice though, since the fraud was also committed against the bank and they're the ones who lost the money in the end. 
I agree with you about pressing charges I would assume the bank will press charges but I don't know! The bank, as I am told will recoup from the merchants because all failed to perform a valid ID check.

I had no issues with the kid ever he was very respectful and even spent the night over my house several times before the games on Saturdays because he was friends/teamates with my son. I am torn!

W

Alex23

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:44:24 PM »
Federal offense, he's a minor. Juvie at best.

Press charges but talk to the judge. You can arrange community service aka the little fucker does your lawn etc for a couple of weeks.

It's a grey line. But don't do too soft "bro"..

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:53:50 AM »

Press charges but talk to the judge. You can arrange community service aka the little fucker does your lawn etc for a couple of weeks.

That sounds fairer then a sentence of 5 years. Don't have any knowledge about American laws but I think a community service will suit him well.

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 06:03:50 AM »
You all have mercy for a thief, i dont. I say, ruin his life, he must learn the lesson in the hard way, if you forgive him now, he'll probably fuc+kup again in a near future.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:37:56 AM »
I'd press charges.  He didn't just steal from you once but 8 times.

I agree w/Alex, first offense, he won't do any (or much) time...unless he's got priors, then that could be a diff story in which case he's even more in need of some discipline.

But I wouldn't want him doing my lawn (that's not community service anyway).  I wouldn't want that kid around me or my family again.  Seems like he needs a wake-up call :(
R

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 07:01:18 AM »
I'd press charges. I know it would suck but he needs to know there's consequences for his actions. If he walks on this what's to stop him from doing it to others (especially people he knows)? Simple answer: Nothing.

Please keep us updated.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 07:10:28 AM »
Are you able to communicate with his parents?  Their attitude to this infraction would inform my decision.  If they are light or cavalier about it, you should stick it to him.  If they are the type to beat his ass (hard) then I would follow that with some sort of community service work and a fine (he can pay off over time).

Young people—and many adults—need to learn that bad choices are followed by bad consequence.  >:(

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 07:11:28 AM »
If i were the dad of that lost soul, i would have beat the sh1t out of him and then send him to jail.
If you dont teach them when they are young, they will be nothing but bums in the future.

Honest advice from a dad :)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 07:32:50 AM »
He's going to do it again. You have to do something.
This shit causes a lot of grief. Ive been thru it, with a family member and the ONLY thing that ended it
was good old fashioned painfull violence!

Let him go and He'll be into the Loans, credit cards, worthless checks,,, you name it. Its just free money to him.
After the little bastard I refer to got a good beat down, he simply moved on to different people.
Still at it to this day, but not on the family nickel. Law consequences are only a temporary set back to him.
No sympathy, protect yourself 1st and formost. Cant save the world, save yourself.

You;ll be sorry if you dont... Just Paint ATM on your back.
ID theft is a bitch to straighten out, and its allways in the back of your head.
Make him know YOU are not a easy mark. I'd kick his ass good w/ no body around too.
Im NOT joking, this caused YEARs of grief.... Should have kicked his ass ASAP.

Ruined credit,,, Seized Tax refunds... Hey,, there's no end to what could be out there you dont know he's into on you.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 08:26:10 AM »

Deedee, you don't need personal info to swipe a bankcard, (ATM/Debit/Credit) the merchants rarely check for ID.

If you recall I also said it was strange that they asked that but this is a small town e.g., the cop came to my house to take my statement and filed the report right there at my dining room table, maybe because when he got the call from his dispatcher he knew who I was by name because I coached his kids whom also play for the same little league football organization and he must have also recognized the youth. Apparently he was upset that this happened to someone he knew and he took a person interest in the case.
I agree with you about pressing charges I would assume the bank will press charges but I don't know! The bank, as I am told will recoup from the merchants because all failed to perform a valid ID check.

I had no issues with the kid ever he was very respectful and even spent the night over my house several times before the games on Saturdays because he was friends/teamates with my son. I am torn!

I would be torn too, and very disappointed.  :'(  I guess if he was out buying/stealing Christmas presents for his dying Gran just to make her last days happy, my heart wouldn't be in it to see him punished harshly. But somehow, I doubt that's what happened.  ;D  For some reason I thought the kid was trying to withdraw cash and wondered how he got your PIN. Just out of curiosity, what all amazing stuff did he buy/steal that was worth risking his future on?

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »

Excellent suggestion thx Alex23!
W

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 11:29:57 AM »
Are you able to communicate with his parents?  Their attitude to this infraction would inform my decision.  If they are light or cavalier about it, you should stick it to him.  If they are the type to beat his ass (hard) then I would follow that with some sort of community service work and a fine (he can pay off over time).

Young people—and many adults—need to learn that bad choices are followed by bad consequence.  >:(

Yes, I have talked to his mother (there is no dad) and she was very upset that this happened especially when she found out it was me.

He also told her he had no idea I was linked to the card because the last name was different than mine, not that that made it any better but I think he feels bad about it. 

The community service and a fine, coupled with the realization that he stole from his old coach hopefully will correct this behavior.

Again, I have never had problems with this kid I just think because he is left to raise himself while mom is at work in DC (1 hour away) he is not mature enough to avoid peer pressure and/or idleness.

According to the cop his buddy found the bankcard on the ground but did not use it he took the bankcard he then tried it at another gas station in the neighborhood, it worked! The rest is history.
W

trab

• Getbig V
Re: I have a dilemma!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 11:23:47 AM »
You need to close that account and everything associated w/ this event. (PIN # ? etc)

Expect him to hit the same acct and cover his tracks next time.   ;)

Everything they told the cops is BULLSHIT.

By letting him get away with it, some old lady living month to month on a SS check is likely to end up
utterly destroyed a few yrs from now. This kind of  game just develops into more and more sophisticated ways to
pull  money out of   victims.

Good luck, from my experience, your setting up many people in the future to suffer.
ANd credit scammers  home in on the most helpless after they smarten up a bit.

Its not funny at all to have a tax return seized for loans you were never aware of, or credit card bills of a crosss country trip to Disney land. ::)

SWTYGRL

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 09:57:30 PM »
I agree with Bay...

Where are the boys parents in all of this?  If he has concerned and committed parents perhaps there is hope/help there...Do you have a relationship with them?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 11:34:54 PM »
I would be torn too, and very disappointed.  :'(  I guess if he was out buying/stealing Christmas presents for his dying Gran just to make her last days happy, my heart wouldn't be in it to see him punished harshly. But somehow, I doubt that's what happened.  ;D  For some reason I thought the kid was trying to withdraw cash and wondered how he got your PIN. Just out of curiosity, what all amazing stuff did he buy/steal that was worth risking his future on?

Deedee,

ATM / debit cards in the USA are different from the one's here in Canada. In Canada, you swipe the card and enter a PIN #. In the USA, the bank ATM debit cards are Visa & Mastercards, and you don't need a PIN #. They are just like a credit card, but come directly out of the bank account they are associated with.

Hustleman, this is a dilemma indeed. Do you press charges in order to protect his future? That leaves him with a felony on his record which will infact destroy his future. Tough one. Let us know how this turns out.
w

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 04:29:51 AM »
There's more here than just HIS life.

The little bastard I know has seriously messed up more PPL's lives than can be known.

It should have got him serious consequences ASAP, but got let go.
Hes still at it yrs later now, at least he knows damn well better than to even think about gettin close to
anyone related to me again. ;)

LE will likely have no effect even. Hit him w/ the Felony charges and your boot if your smart.
He'll be back for 2nds before you know it, and next time he'll cover his tracks.  ;)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 06:05:36 AM »
Yes, I have talked to his mother (there is no dad) and she was very upset that this happened especially when she found out it was me.

He also told her he had no idea I was linked to the card because the last name was different than mine, not that that made it any better but I think he feels bad about it. 

The community service and a fine, coupled with the realization that he stole from his old coach hopefully will correct this behavior.

Again, I have never had problems with this kid I just think because he is left to raise himself while mom is at work in DC (1 hour away) he is not mature enough to avoid peer pressure and/or idleness.

According to the cop his buddy found the bankcard on the ground but did not use it he took the bankcard he then tried it at another gas station in the neighborhood, it worked! The rest is history.

Hustleman, had you been at the place that his friend said he found it on the ground?

Also, you say you live in a small town.  Do you have enough sway w/the judges to assure that the kid gets community service?  That's up to the law and the judge isn't it?

Do you press charges in order to protect his future? That leaves him with a felony on his record which will infact destroy his future.

A felony on someone's record may make things a little more tough, but it does not necessarily destroy their future. 
R

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 07:18:41 AM »
Deedee,

ATM / debit cards in the USA are different from the one's here in Canada. In Canada, you swipe the card and enter a PIN #. In the USA, the bank ATM debit cards are Visa & Mastercards, and you don't need a PIN #. They are just like a credit card, but come directly out of the bank account they are associated with.

Yes, I know.  Haven't been here in awhile and got confoosed. Maybe I was reading xL or something because I thought this was a UK story.  I guess the word "Sheriff" should have tipped me off, since I'm sure it wasn't the Sheriff of Nottingham who called HM personally.  :P Anyway, this is just another reason why the world should be on pin-protected debit cards. This wouldn't have happened... and for the holder, there's a lot less hysteria if you happen to lose your card.

From the details given, am starting to agree with Trab, but what a crappy thing to have to decide.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
Hustleman, had you been at the place that his friend said he found it on the ground?

Yes it was the same gas station my fiancee stopped to buy gas, she must have dropped it. The store is 10 mins from or house.

Also, you say you live in a small town.  Do you have enough sway w/the judges to assure that the kid gets community service?  That's up to the law and the judge isn't it?

Actually, I know the Sheriff and his family very well most of our kids (3) are in Venturing Crew, Boy scout/Cub scout and Girl Scout troops together and my kids play seasonal sports with his kids as well.

I also found out I was misinformed by the deputy that spoke with me about prssing charges. A victim does not have a say in the punishment when a felonious crime is commited that is left up to a Judge and/or jury and he will need a Lawyer. If it were a misdemeanor it might be a different story.

I am told this was his first offense so they may go easy on him. I suspect he will spend some time injuvenile detention. :(

HM
W

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 06:28:20 PM »
Hustleman, this is a dilemma indeed. Do you press charges in order to protect his future? That leaves him with a felony on his record which will infact destroy his future.

A felony as a minor will probably mean nothing a five years. I'm not saying I want the kids life destroyed but he needs to learn & from what I've seen if they're let off the hook now it doesn't usually stop.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 07:22:40 PM »

What would you do?

fuck that kid,i put a person in jail for a state jail felony at least once a week on this shit.

the kid is nothing but a damn thief,and if you dont punish him now he will only get worse.

so go ahead and let him go,and come back in a few months crying about how he stole from you again.

bench

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »

What would you do?

Press Charges, so that his parents know what he is doing. Chances are you won't be the last, or was the first. You know what's odd, typically kids like this don't need to do such things, they could always go to their parents for money.

Hopefully, he'll learn his lesson. If he doesn't see that he f'd up, he'll have a criminal record, and just be better at it the next time around.