Author Topic: Deadlift suit  (Read 2415 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Deadlift suit
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:16:34 PM »
For the competitive powerlifters out there:  I'm looking to upgrade my deadlift suit.   I'm in the process of making the transition from conventional to sumo and from how things are feeling, I'll probably keep pulling sumo in competition.  I'm looking for something single ply thats IPF legal if at all possible.

What are you all wearing?  Pros and cons of it?

Thanks.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Deadlift suit
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:54:27 AM »
http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MAXDL

i've always used the inzer max DL with good results, it should be legal in any single ply FED.

don't expect much weight added to your DL but it will give you some drive out of the hole and keep you stable.

i don't know any con's but it's the only DL suit i've ever used.

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 06:50:58 AM »
Most guys I've talked do have said that metal viking suits have been giving them about 50-60lbs over their raw and give you some pop off the floor. BAsically it converts your best rack dead into a full dead from the pickup.   ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:18:17 AM »
I have spoken with many pro strongmen about what to go with and they all say METAL. I've heard from guys that have used almost every suit maker out there and still, METAL. Benni Magnusson, Derek Poundstone, Travis Ortmayer, Nick Best, and many more recommend it. The only reason I havent bought one yet is because they suggest getting as far as you can without it and then using it when you near the Pro level.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:36:41 AM »
Metal is good stuff but i've never used it.

i got 50 pounds out of my inzer max DL after 6 weeks of practice.

the thing i don't like is the suit shoots you forward real quick and can mess with your balance. i suggest practicing with lighter weights at first and you will see what i mean. i sit back hard and get my hips as low as possible and it literally pops the weight right off the floor for you, but it can surprise you and shoot YOU forward.

This issue might be for conv. deadlifts only, i've never used a suit to pull sumo.

Good luck.

8)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:20:46 AM »
I have spoken with many pro strongmen about what to go with and they all say METAL. I've heard from guys that have used almost every suit maker out there and still, METAL. Benni Magnusson, Derek Poundstone, Travis Ortmayer, Nick Best, and many more recommend it. The only reason I havent bought one yet is because they suggest getting as far as you can without it and then using it when you near the Pro level.

Yeah, i've heard mostly good things--great things about the METAL squat and bench stuff.   The deadlift suits it seems to be based on opinion of the lifter---I've heard claims of 150lbs out of a metal deadlift suit, but I've also heard 100 lbs out of an Inzer Hardcore and claims of absolutely nothing from them. 

I have a hard time getting down to the bar---even though I'm short, which is one of the reasons I switched to pulling sumo.  I need a suit I can really sit back in and then will "pop" me out of that hole.  I'm pretty explosive off the floor once I get into position so I'm hoping that the suit will add enough acceleration to pull me through my weakest point.    Maybe I'm thinking I'll get too much from a different deadlift suit too.  I won't know until I play a bit. 

I haven't invested too much in Metal just yet, primarily because I feel like I'm getting really good results from the Inzer gear I've used in the past and I feel like there is still some I can get out of them.  I feel like i need to get a few more meets under my belt before I step it up to the bigtime. 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 11:48:21 AM »
I have a hard time getting down to the bar---even though I'm short, which is one of the reasons I switched to pulling sumo.  I need a suit I can really sit back in and then will "pop" me out of that hole.  I'm pretty explosive off the floor once I get into position so I'm hoping that the suit will add enough acceleration to pull me through my weakest point.    Maybe I'm thinking I'll get too much from a deadlift suit too.  I won't know until I play with them. 

The more you sit back, the lower you get your hips, the more pop you will get from a suit. the bar flys right up off the floor.

i changed my form completely when i started pulling with a suit on, it takes a bit to get used to the suit. i used to pull more stiff leg, but with the suit i had to really sit back hard in order to get anything out of it. if you are a stiff leg style deadlifter you won't get as much from the suit. at least that's what i've seen.

i would sit back so hard all my bodyweight was on my heals and then i'd just explode off the floor. once you get that first 12" off the floor you just need to lock it out.

150 pounds from a deadlift suit? i'd have to see it, but i guess it's possible.

8)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:18:41 PM »
I use a Titan Centurion NXG+, reverse.

I get a lot from it, or rather, I get locked into a very good position and then I can pull much more than w/o.

When you pull conventional, the suit just adds lbs. Here it's a bit of a different story.

As empty as paradise

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »
Metals new KING sumo is awesome.  Ill be pulling in my ACE in January.  Hope the 700 goes down!

Jason