Author Topic: I am joining a new gym this week!  (Read 16075 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: I am joining a new gym this week!
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »
LOL trying to peice together what FFS means?  ;D  No way it could be what Im thinking LOL

FFS - For F*ck's Sake -  ;D
Is that what you were thinking?

:)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 08:13:47 AM »
Just curious…
What did they say about the chains?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 08:22:30 AM »
Just curious…
What did they say about the chains?

I didn't ask yet.  I am working with the chains tonight, so I figured it would be harder for them to say NO if I walked in with them rather than describe them.  They weigh 80 pounds, but I am going to just sling them over my shoulder and act like it's no big deal.   :D

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 09:05:23 AM »

I didn't ask yet.  I am working with the chains tonight, so I figured it would be harder for them to say NO if I walked in with them rather than describe them.  They weigh 80 pounds, but I am going to just sling them over my shoulder and act like it's no big deal.   :D

just act like its an item of jewellery or something.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »
They weigh 80 pounds, but I am going to just sling them over my shoulder and act like it's no big deal.   :D

Ha-ha…
You just reminded me of 80’s pro wrestler Hercules Hernandez. He used to walk to the ring wearing a Louie Simmons-sized chain around his neck.
Then I glanced at your avatar and envisioned you walking into the gym in the same manner.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
This type of thing has been a hot topic as of late.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »
Ha-ha…
You just reminded me of 80’s pro wrestler Hercules Hernandez. He used to walk to the ring wearing a Louie Simmons-sized chain around his neck.
Then I glanced at your avatar and envisioned you walking into the gym in the same manner.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
This type of thing has been a hot topic as of late.

hahaha  it's just a necklace!   ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »

FFS - For F*ck's Sake -  ;D
Is that what you were thinking?

AAhhhh.... Yeah  :-X

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 03:59:53 AM »
Well that went different than I expected.  We were weary of bringing the chains into the new gym, so we actually decided not to bother tonight and went over to the old gym.  They stopped us on the way in the door, and the bitchy manager was like "NO way.  I don't want you starting this stuff here because then everyone is going to start doing it.  I don't want to start something like this."   ::)

So we left and went over to the new gym...they were like "Sure, no problem."  We brought them in, and of course everyone wanted to know how to use them, etc.  I was totally surprised...completely opposite of what I expected. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 04:35:31 AM »
Well that went different than I expected.  We were weary of bringing the chains into the new gym, so we actually decided not to bother tonight and went over to the old gym.  They stopped us on the way in the door, and the bitchy manager was like "NO way.  I don't want you starting this stuff here because then everyone is going to start doing it.  I don't want to start something like this."   ::)

So we left and went over to the new gym...they were like "Sure, no problem."  We brought them in, and of course everyone wanted to know how to use them, etc.  I was totally surprised...completely opposite of what I expected. 

Cool, just reinforces how good of a move it was for you to leave.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
...the bitchy manager was like "NO way.  I don't want you starting this stuff here because then everyone is going to start doing it.  I don't want to start something like this."   ::)

Yeah, and that might attract more interest & business.  ::)

I’ve trained at two different gyms in which members were allowed to (and did) use chains, etc.
They did their thing, didn’t bother anyone, nobody bothered them, and there was no mass epidemic of other members bringing and setting up chains on every bench (how many trainers are serious enough to do that, anyway).
A few people watched and asked questions. The PL’ers were very cool about it.

Sounds like you have the right type of personality, and you obviously took the right approach with the new place.
You may even end up doing what I did and become friends w/ the owners…if you want.

Some people prefer to avoid that inner-circle, but I am extended certain courtesies that are not offered to everyone. Just don’t abuse the privilege, and make sure to reciprocate and throw some kind acts their way.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 09:33:36 AM »
Yeah, and that might attract more interest & business.  ::)

I’ve trained at two different gyms in which members were allowed to (and did) use chains, etc.
They did their thing, didn’t bother anyone, nobody bothered them, and there was no mass epidemic of other members bringing and setting up chains on every bench (how many trainers are serious enough to do that, anyway).
A few people watched and asked questions. The PL’ers were very cool about it.

Sounds like you have the right type of personality, and you obviously took the right approach with the new place.
You may even end up doing what I did and become friends w/ the owners…if you want.

Some people prefer to avoid that inner-circle, but I am extended certain courtesies that are not offered to everyone. Just don’t abuse the privilege, and make sure to reciprocate and throw some kind acts their way.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Yep...we usually end up pretty friendly with the people who run the gyms we belong to, and it always pays off...in fact, one of our closest friends to this day is the owner of the gym we belonged to about 6 or 7 years ago (too far away for us now).  We just never really clicked with the people at the old gym, and it got worse when the manager we liked left and this bitchy woman took over.  My husband is looking forward to writing a letter to the ownership once we leave, letting them know the reasons we left.   ;D

When she made that comment about everyone wanting to use chains if we started it, I was like "are you serious?  Do you know how much these chains cost?"  As if a regular gym-goer is going to spend money on a set of 80 pound chains to train bench press.   ::)

We're thinking that once we get settled into the new place, they will probably let us leave the chains there if we want to. 

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »
just padlock them to something  ;)
X

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 09:32:59 AM »
What are the chains for anyway? I never heard of anyone using chains.
E

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 10:29:46 AM »
Chains are placed on either ends of the bar.
During the rep, resistance is gradually increased due to the fact that less and less of the chain is on the floor as the bar ascends.

Louie Simmons:
Training with chains in this manner accomplishes three things.
1) We have maintained our original weight in order to use the correct percentage for explosive training.
2) We have overloaded the top portion of the lift, which normally does not receive sufficient work because of increased body leverage at this position.
3) A neurological response to build explosive strength is developed. This training will train you to drive to the top because you cannot slack off at the top phase as you used to.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 10:35:53 AM »
On a side note…
Some power-lifters use elastic bands in the same manner.
Bands are a lot more practical in that they’re much smaller, lighter, and easier to store and transport.
Cheaper, too.

Several PL’ers I’ve talked to also prefer using bands over chains.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2008, 10:48:13 AM »
On a side note…
Some power-lifters use elastic bands in the same manner.
Bands are a lot more practical in that they’re much smaller, lighter, and easier to store and transport.
Cheaper, too.

Several PL’ers I’ve talked to also prefer using bands over chains.

Chains look cooler though  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »
 :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
Working with the chains is ALOT of fun.   8)

I signed the paperwork today, and I'm psyched.  Of course they had a million options for memberships, and they didn't cut me much of a break  >:(...but I ended up getting unlimited access to all six of the facilities in the nearby area (within 30 mins), two of which are brand new, two story crazy foo-foo fancy gyms, and one of which is a 24-hour keycard access training studio like 4 mins from my house!  I didn't even know it existed.  That takes care of the 24 hour gym problem. 

Anyway, I got this deal for me and my hubby for $39 each/month, and I also added unlimited tanning for him for $10/month.  I skipped the tanning deal, which I'll probably end up regretting when I buy a tanning package for my contest prep. 

I'm psyched! 

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2008, 05:20:02 AM »
great.  I like having the two gym memberships.  The thing that interests me for my next project is kettelbells...
X

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2008, 06:32:30 AM »
Working with the chains is ALOT of fun.   8)

I signed the paperwork today, and I'm psyched.  Of course they had a million options for memberships, and they didn't cut me much of a break  >:(...but I ended up getting unlimited access to all six of the facilities in the nearby area (within 30 mins), two of which are brand new, two story crazy foo-foo fancy gyms, and one of which is a 24-hour keycard access training studio like 4 mins from my house!  I didn't even know it existed.  That takes care of the 24 hour gym problem. 

Anyway, I got this deal for me and my hubby for $39 each/month, and I also added unlimited tanning for him for $10/month.  I skipped the tanning deal, which I'll probably end up regretting when I buy a tanning package for my contest prep. 

I'm psyched! 

Yeah my gym NEVER closes 24/7 365 they are open.  Its good to have but I dont think I have ever trained at something like 2am and hope I never do LOL.  But being open on holidays is great.

Rip you got it all planed out dont you.  Already thinking about when your gonna tan for the contest prep. I luv it!  This is gonna be a great summer on this board, I wanna see about 5 contest or whatever goal threads going.  Laura, Rip, meddy doing her thing. hope some others might join in too.  I will be starting mine in late July.  I wanna see lots of pics  8)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2008, 08:24:42 AM »
great.  I like having the two gym memberships.  The thing that interests me for my next project is kettelbells...

Your back is looking a lot better medford :)
E

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2008, 08:52:15 AM »
Your back is looking a lot better medford :)

that's my goal back maybe.   I'm working on it...just got back from the gym (gym A by the house, gym B by the work) from gym A

gotta go cook evil fattening food in a bit at the restaurant...for other people.  I think I eat vicariously through the dinners I bake.  Creating something I can't even afford to nibble on...
X

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »
that's my goal back maybe.   I'm working on it...just got back from the gym (gym A by the house, gym B by the work) from gym A

gotta go cook evil fattening food in a bit

Ahhh.
E

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2008, 08:56:40 AM »
yeah danielson, but it's for other people, and I have to do it cause I get my health insurance at the restaurant
X

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2008, 08:59:49 AM »
yeah danielson, but it's for other people, and I have to do it cause I get my health insurance at the restaurant

I was Ahhing the part about it not being your back. Kind of misleading if you think about it.
E