Author Topic: anyone live in ireland or been there?  (Read 4074 times)

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
Re: anyone live in ireland or been there?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 04:33:53 PM »
thanks for all the info fellas.  Is it true guiness in Ireland tastes different than guiness here in the states?  Everyone I know says it tastes way better over there.  Awesome beer either way!!!

Also been told by someone that it is offensive to order a black and tan, is that correct?  If it is do you guys serve it, and what should I call it?  By far a black and tan is my favorite drink.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 05:29:25 PM »
technokc,

Before and during the First World War the English ran out of troops to police the unrest in Ireland (a growing nationalist movement). Their answer was to give guns and uniforms to every psycho and deviant deemed unfit for military service and sent them to Ireland... these "Black and Tans" proceeded to indulge in a small scale reign of terror that effectively galvanized the Irish nationalist movement.

An American asking for a "black and tan" in an Irish bar would be tantamount to Adonis wearing his swastika tshirt to a Jerusalem tea shop.

The Luke

growinboy

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 08:02:05 AM »
I t is not that bad.. a Black and tan or Half Guiness and half Harp beer is not taboo to order. It's a drink that I have ordered in ireland before and am still alive to speak about it althought He is right on who the black and tans are.

the_doc

• Getbig II
  • Bigger Stronger Faster
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 08:33:23 AM »
Have a great trip in June.
I live in Dublin. The luke's post about pubs on every corner in the city is very accurate. There are plenty of crappy tourist trap one like in any city. I recommend O' Donohues on Baggot st near St Stephens' green. Anyone will tell you where it is. Most evenings there will be local/amateur musicians playing good traditional music. It can get cramped in there but it is one of my favourite Dublin pubs.  If the weather is nice St stephen's green is a nice place to walk through and have an ice cream. Dublin is pretty expensive. Pints of beer around 5euro in most city centre places although GUINNESS is a bit cheaper.   
A real local tip here, outside of the 5 star hotels the best place for a traditional Irish fried breakfast is a small coffee shop called "Gerries" on a tiny side street called Montague st, again near St Stephen's green. It's not exacly gourmet but full of good bacon, sausage and grease!
Enjoy your holiday. PM nearer june and if I have time i'll give you as much details about good spots to check out. Someone on the thread already suggested Giants causeway in the north. Yuo should definately go there either by train or better if you hire a car.
The Doc :) 
The Dude Abides

technokc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »
Have a great trip in June.
I live in Dublin. The luke's post about pubs on every corner in the city is very accurate. There are plenty of crappy tourist trap one like in any city. I recommend O' Donohues on Baggot st near St Stephens' green. Anyone will tell you where it is. Most evenings there will be local/amateur musicians playing good traditional music. It can get cramped in there but it is one of my favourite Dublin pubs.  If the weather is nice St stephen's green is a nice place to walk through and have an ice cream. Dublin is pretty expensive. Pints of beer around 5euro in most city centre places although GUINNESS is a bit cheaper.   
A real local tip here, outside of the 5 star hotels the best place for a traditional Irish fried breakfast is a small coffee shop called "Gerries" on a tiny side street called Montague st, again near St Stephen's green. It's not exacly gourmet but full of good bacon, sausage and grease!
Enjoy your holiday. PM nearer june and if I have time i'll give you as much details about good spots to check out. Someone on the thread already suggested Giants causeway in the north. Yuo should definately go there either by train or better if you hire a car.
The Doc :) 

great info.  I'll definetly pm your around then.  Another question, is there a lot of racism there?  I'm half irish/asian, my girlfriend and my boy is white (we're good there), and my friend's girl is phillipinno.  will we be okay everywhere or is there places we shouldn't go?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »
no racism

its turning into a multi cultured place

the amount of asian people in ireland is growing at a huge rate. you will be ok.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 05:32:48 PM »
i was there during the stupid religious war and would never go back.  too many drunks for me.

technokc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »
i was there during the stupid religious war and would never go back.  too many drunks for me.

sounds perfect for me than!!! ;D