Author Topic: anyone live in ireland or been there?  (Read 4073 times)

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
anyone live in ireland or been there?
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:40:11 PM »
Me, my gal, and another couple are about to buy our plane tickets to go there in June.  Never been there before and wondering if anyone has any suggestions of good pubs or things to do.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: anyone live in ireland or been there?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's no shortage of pubs there.
Z

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »
I think Stark lives there right now, but he's not Irish.
Ron: "I am lazy."

tweeter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
I really want to go to Ireland. I think it is mainly because I like Irish beer/Irish bars so much.

Oaf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:54:26 PM »
I lived there for sometime but now live in Texas. You might be pretty bored outside drinking.

If you do go be sure to check out the Giants Causeways in Portrush and even though you are going in June bring warm clothes.

These rock formations are all naturally occurring.

And this bridge is always fun when windy!

noc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:22:24 PM »
Me, my gal, and another couple are about to buy our plane tickets to go there in June.  Never been there before and wondering if anyone has any suggestions of good pubs or things to do.

If you are American, they will spit in your pints.

That is all  8)

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:24:40 PM »
Ive been there twice.

Jason

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
are you irish-american? if yes, maybe it's not a good idea to say this... i live in krakow poland and i know a few irsh fellas and they told me that they aren't too happy when someone says they are irish-american ::) i'm not irish-american... i'm anglo-american and that's even worse in thier eyes ;) anyways. in general, the irish are quite cool 8)

technokc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 09:14:50 AM »
FUCK!!!  That's a wicked looking bridge!  Where is that at exactly?

omgsoswole

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 10:14:49 AM »
Irish people love fighting & bombing others - something to bear in mind on your vacation.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 10:42:57 AM »
Irish people love fighting & getting bombing othersed - something to bear in mind on your vacation.
:)

big liam

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 10:52:38 AM »
Im from derry in N.Ireland. Theres plenty to do and see here but if you want to enjoy the place id avoid all the usual tourist outtings and all that bullshit, sit in any local pub and you'll get all the info you want about the best places to go etc

technokc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 11:14:20 AM »
Im from derry in N.Ireland. Theres plenty to do and see here but if you want to enjoy the place id avoid all the usual tourist outtings and all that bullshit, sit in any local pub and you'll get all the info you want about the best places to go etc

thanks for the info.  We fly into dublin first.  Any suggestion on a good pub there?

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »

thanks for the info.  We fly into dublin first.  Any suggestion on a good pub there?

I don't think you understand, there's 10 good pubs every square mile.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 11:20:28 AM »
Never been but would love to play some golf in Ireland.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »
Ireland rules.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 12:40:14 PM »
technokc,

I'm Irish, allow me to explain to you how to find a good pub in Dublin (my home city).

Dublin is a thousand-year-old city which grew out of a small Viking settlement. As a result the street layout is rather meandering and criss-crossed with narrow alleyways.

Should you (or any tourist) find yourself on a Dublin street you should proceed immediately a hundred yards in any direction... this will bring you to a what we in Ireland lovingly refer to as a street corner; there you will find a pub and/or nightclub. In the extremely unlikely event that this course of action fails immediately institute your back-up plan by glancing across the street... there on the opposite street corner you will find a pub and/or nightclub.

Should you (or any other tourist) find yourself on a Dublin street and unable to walk a hundred yards then simply rotate in position to identify the location of the nearest pub and/or nightclub situated between street corners. In some parts of Dublin this may entail walking the length of several shopfronts, so plan ahead and bring supplies.

Good luck. (You won't really need it though, Ireland has a pub for every 3,000 people which is the highest ratio of any country in the world. In Dublin the average distance between licensed premises is about 100 metres... translating to a dozen pubs per street in the city centre)

The Luke

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
technokc,
Good luck. (You won't really need it though, Ireland has a pub for every 3,000 people which is the highest ratio of any country in the world. In Dublin the average distance between licensed premises is about 100 metres... translating to a dozen pubs per street in the city centre)
The Luke
Sounds like heaven.  :)

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 12:49:27 PM »
I'm Scottish and live in England but I've never been to Ireland - I'm biased towards the scenery of Scotland too much so I refuse to go. Plus all the excessive alcohol drinking isn't really me.

I think Stark lives in Ireland. Goudy as well - drop them a PM.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »
Dr Chimps,

We have a saying here in Ireland (you sometimes find it on postcards):

"Welcome to Ireland... the weather's crap and there's fuck all to see... but you won't care 'cos you'll be shit-faced!"

The Luke

big liam

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 01:31:05 PM »

Temple bar owed by Bono is pretty good but it is true, dublin is like bar shop bar shop etc hard to belive but there's even a great bar in the airport haha

Oaf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 01:40:07 PM »
FUCK!!!  That's a wicked looking bridge!  Where is that at exactly?

Check all the info you need here ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrick-a-Rede_Rope_Bridge

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 01:41:52 PM »
I'm Scottish and live in England but I've never been to Ireland - I'm biased towards the scenery of Scotland too much so I refuse to go. Plus all the excessive alcohol drinking isn't really me.

I think Stark lives in Ireland. Goudy as well - drop them a PM.
i've met quite a few irish, english, and scottish guys in my travels in poland, and in my limited experience scots were the biggest boozers, but maybe that's just the "travelling" scots ;)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »
that bridge is carrick-a-reed rope bridge and yes it is a rope bridge above rocky sea.

im fom belfast in ireland. belfast is really interesting if you fancy driving up. only 2hrs from dublin. Ireland is asmall maybe 350miles from top to bottom

ne questions mate feel free. dont really like dublin myself tho im sure to a tourist it would be cool.

growinboy

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »
My Dad is from the West of Ireland, Co Roscommon, and my Mom is from Co. Kildare. Try to get out from the city a bit. Not far from Dublin is The Wicklow Mountians in the county by the same name, beaufitul small towns. Stop by Glendalough, where St. Kevin set up a monastary in early part of the last mallenium. Great ruins in a beautiful landscape.  2.5 3 hour drive west is Galway city in mid jume there are the Galway Races where the whole town is full of people with musicians on the street in the pubs. Great narrow streets with small shops radiating off of Eryre Square the center of town. Try GBC or Galway Baking company has a gret tea room  on the 2nd floor, or 1st floor for the Europeans for sandwiches with bay winow overlooking the street. Also try a Drive through Co. Sligo And Ben Bulben a great flat topped mountian that can be seen from any spot in Sligo town.