Author Topic: Dietary Fish Oil Upregulates Intestinal Lipid Metabolism and Reduces Body Weight  (Read 5642 times)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
it will be similar but not exactly the same. borage and flax are like the younger weaker siblings of primrose and fish oil

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
okay...Ive been doing 2 caps of fish with one of the EFA complex 3 times a day...should that be effective or do I need more?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
some people recommend going as high as 40 caps fish oil per day for short periods of time to boost progress.....   what your personal doseage is set at depends on other factors and also what your willing to spend on achieving your goals... your all around prupouses though 10-15 g fish oil  should be good for most things...  but you must remember to pay attention also to your total dietary intake of the omega-6 fatty acids...as you are probably eating food that contain ome.   you want your overall omega-3 = omega 6 ratio somehwhere close to two  3's for every 6

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Dietary Fish Oil Upregulates Intestinal Lipid Metabolism and Reduces Body Weight Gain in C57BL/6J Mice1,2
Takuya Mori, Hidehiko Kondo*, Tadashi Hase, Ichiro Tokimitsu and Takatoshi Murase
Biological Science Laboratories, Kao Corporation, Akabane, Ichikai-machi, Haga-gun, Tochigi 321-3497, Japan

Fish oils (FO) rich in (n-3) PUFA exert hypolipidemic and antiobesity effects in association with modulated hepatic lipid metabolism. We recently demonstrated the possible involvement of intestinal lipid metabolism in the development of obesity. In this study, we examined the effect of FO ingestion on intestinal lipid metabolism in relation to obesity. When diet-induced obesity-prone C57BL/6J mice were fed an 8% FO, high-fat (30%) diet for 5 mo, body weight gain was significantly reduced compared with mice fed a 30% triacylglycerol (TG) diet without FO. In addition to modulating messenger RNA (mRNA) levels in the liver, FO ingestion for 2 wk affected the intestinal mRNA levels of lipid metabolism-related genes; those of carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1a, cytochrome P450 4A10, and malic enzyme were significantly higher in mice fed the 8% FO diet compared with mice fed the 30% TG diet. Northern blot analysis revealed that the expression levels of most lipid metabolism-related genes in the small intestine of mice fed the 8% FO diet were comparable to those in the liver. Furthermore, reflecting the difference at the mRNA level, FO ingestion affected lipid metabolism-related enzyme activity; fatty acid ß-oxidation,  -oxidation, and malic enzyme activities in the small intestine of mice fed the 8% FO diet were 1.2-, 1.6-, and 1.7-fold those in mice fed the 30% TG diet, respectively. These findings suggest that an upregulation of intestinal lipid metabolism is associated with the antiobesity effect of FO.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/137/12/2629

I know, I know, it's a mouse study, but it's still good news...

Princess, I'm not trying to give you a hard time here or anything, but wasn't you who used to argue that fish oil had nothing to do with weight loss?  Didn't you also argue that studies on mice and rats did not count?

What made you change your mind?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Princess, I'm not trying to give you a hard time here or anything, but wasn't you who used to argue that fish oil had nothing to do with weight loss?  Didn't you also argue that studies on mice and rats did not count?

mouse models have different perioxsome proliferators (PPAR GAMMA, ALPHA) so the oxidation of fatty acids is different making it hard to extrapolate findings on fatty acid metabolism to humans, so she is def right in questioning them

however, fish oil will help one loose weight, no doubt about it. Just wanted to add my two cents

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles

No problem.  Not recalling the context  :-\  I'm suspecting it was more along the lines of responding to someone using fish oil as a weight loss supplement and expecting old formula, first time user Hydroxycut/Xenadrine results.

Now, I DO recall having that position with CLA ~  and yes... I'm not a fan of rodent studies  ;)

Often times I'll come across articles like this and post them as an FYI for the readers, not necessarily stating a position one way or the other.  So many people come to these sites looking for quick, easy answers without thinking / questioning for themselves. 

I don't think I've changed my mind, but I'll admit, I am less passionate in my expression  ;)
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

No problem.  Not recalling the context  :-\  I'm suspecting it was more along the lines of responding to someone using fish oil as a weight loss supplement and expecting old formula, first time user Hydroxycut/Xenadrine results.

Now, I DO recall having that position with CLA ~  and yes... I'm not a fan of rodent studies  ;)

Often times I'll come across articles like this and post them as an FYI for the readers, not necessarily stating a position one way or the other.  So many people come to these sites looking for quick, easy answers without thinking / questioning for themselves. 

I don't think I've changed my mind, but I'll admit, I am less passionate in my expression  ;)

Fair enough.   ;D

So you don't believe that fish oil should be used as a weight loss supplement, or to supplement a weight loss diet?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Fair enough.   ;D

So you don't believe that fish oil should be used as a weight loss supplement, or to supplement a weight loss diet?

hmmm, no, I didn't say that (hard to articulate on internet).  Yes, it is known that fish oil will aid in weight loss within the right environment (ie; cleaner, better diet, fewer calories, exercise, etc.), but sometimes people expect more.  I believe everyone should be taking fish oil regardless.

CLA on the other hand ~ no.
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

hmmm, no, I didn't say that (hard to articulate on internet). 

I was referring to this post from you.

Oh and how much has anyone lose as far as bodyfat percentage using flaxseed oil and/or fishoil capsules daily under a good diet?

It's not considered a "weight loss" supplement

But that was two years ago and I was wondering what made you change your mind, new studies you've found, personal experience using fish oil as a weight loss supplement, stuff you've read on this board, etc.?

Yes, it is known that fish oil will aid in weight loss within the right environment (ie; cleaner, better diet, fewer calories, exercise, etc.), but sometimes people expect more.  I believe everyone should be taking fish oil regardless.

I agree. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
I was referring to this post from you.

It's not considered a "weight loss" supplement

But that was two years ago and I was wondering what made you change your mind, new studies you've found, personal experience using fish oil as a weight loss supplement, stuff you've read on this board, etc.?

I agree. 

Lots of good info in that thread!  ;D

I haven't changed my mind on anything.  The way I read (or "read into" rather) his question was more superficially, as if he were asking about some new weight loss supplemnt on the market.  I guess I  look at fish oil as something everyone should take for all of it's benefits, not just weight loss, even though that is another benefit.  I hope that makes sense.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
I believe what Prin is saying – she can correct me otherwise – is that fish oil is not on the same level (in terms of significance) as, say, an ECA stack, but will compliment fat loss when all other factors in a diet phase are in place.

It’s a secondary (or lower) part of the formula.

P.S. – I know her highness does not advocate aspirin use in the “stack” mentioned above. I merely included it for hypothetic purposes and to draw a comparison.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
I believe what Prin is saying – she can correct me otherwise – is that fish oil is not on the same level (in terms of significance) as, say, an ECA stack, but will compliment fat loss when all other factors in a diet phase are in place.

It’s a secondary (or lower) part of the formula.

P.S. – I know her highness does not advocate aspirin use in the “stack” mentioned above. I merely included it for hypothetic purposes and to draw a comparison.

Yup! Thanks for the clarification!  ;D

:

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.

Cindy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • www.rippedacademy.com
http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10025836

also good unflavored and caps
http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10025836
http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10012879&categid=0014
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=24&pid=6821

Just got notice that ON will now be offering: Salmon Oil Softgels
Here are the details:
·       Norwegian Sourced
·       Serving Size: 2 Softgels which provides:
·       1000 mg of Salmon Oil providing:
·       180 mg of EPA
        120 mg of DHA

**This will be offered at a more economical price than the Enteric Coated Fish Oil Gel Caps.
O

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
how many capsule (one gram) should we be taking per day>?

Depends on the % of active lipids in the product. See:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=240141.0