Author Topic: What is it that all "brotha" in sitcoms on BET & WB....  (Read 2652 times)

Alex23

What is it that all "brotha" in sitcoms on BET & WB....
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »
....Are all Lawyers and/or "music producers" and/or "sports professionals" and/or "sports agent" and dating a "white woman" yet all dressed like they just popped out of one of those "Lil Jon" video?  ::)

The "brothas" I know aren't like that IRL...

Discuss.

marcus

• Getbig IV
Re: What is it that all "brotha" in sitcoms on BET & WB....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »
That's the dream of every man from the 'hood. Take em person out of the hood but not the hood out of the person etc.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 12:43:57 AM »
They're just trying to show just because a black guy is successful doesn't mean he can't keep it real.  By real I mean really fucking stupid.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 01:20:18 AM »
....Are all Lawyers and/or "music producers" and/or "sports professionals" and/or "sports agent" and dating a "white woman" yet all dressed like they just popped out of one of those "Lil Jon" video?  ::)

Discuss.
This is a phenomena in the mass medias that cuts across most ethnicities.  Characters in television shows and movies cannot act outwardly educated, show interest in fine art, classical music, science, or any intellectual achievement or personal refinement, because that is "elitist"

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 01:49:38 AM »
I know dude, that why u always hear comments like.......

"you dont sound black"

"you're such an oreo"

and " you're sooooo whitewashed"

Those are just a few of many.........Feel free to add

David Puddy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • All signs point to YES!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 01:53:49 AM »
That's right.
Talk to me babay.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 02:43:45 AM »

Discuss.

Ever heard the term "PC"? 8)
As empty as paradise

David Puddy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:53:35 AM »
I know dude, that why u always hear comments like.......

"you dont sound black"

"you're such an oreo"

and " you're sooooo whitewashed"

Those are just a few of many.........Feel free to add

High Five.
Talk to me babay.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 05:18:25 AM »

Discuss.

It's The Cosby show effect. A black Doctor was married to a black Lawyer and the show was a hit. Now all black people on TV have to be successful. ::)
E

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 05:56:10 AM »
This is a phenomena in the mass medias that cuts across most ethnicities.  Characters in television shows and movies cannot act outwardly educated, show interest in fine art, classical music, science, or any intellectual achievement or personal refinement, because that is "elitist"

That’s a big part of it, but it also has to do with the limits on the part of the show’s writers and the show’s audience.  The job titles Alex mentioned are all easily recognized and understood.  If you say someone is a lawyer, doctor, or music producer virtually everyone knows what that is (on some level).  In other words, the job does not require a big explanation, detail, or background information.  This is true in “white” shows as well.

If you say someone is an actuary, a nuclear physicist, or an associate provost most people on the show--and in the audience--would go, “huh?” because they don’t know people who work in those fields.  The job may be something young people should aspire to (because it requires a good education, discipline, pays well, etc.) but if it is unfamiliar, it becomes a distraction from what the show/character is really about.

The writers on shows like the ones mentioned don’t always have wide experience themselves so going out of their comfort zone (in terms of a job titles) would require the expense of working with or hiring a consultant to advise them on the field/occupation.  Movie studies do this all the time, but TV shows don’t always have the budget to do this sort of thing.  As some of you know, I work in higher education.  I have several friends who have consulted with writers/film makers to advice them on what should/would/or would not happen in a script involving a university setting.  Other professionals do this for hospital shows/films, and other fields (the military for example) that are unfamiliar to the writers.  If you look at the credits for some TV shows/films you will see references to one or more consultants.  These people are paid to provide the film makers with expertise about the world they operate in.

The job titles on most TV shows correspond to what the writers/audience knows or is likely to know.  If you make it too complicated or varied it becomes a distraction.

Why are there so many hospital shows,  police shows, lawyer shows on TV?  Because they are familiar.  Going outside this bubble requires more work, but it also potentially makes for better TV because it educates/pushes the audience.  Think of Six Feet Under; most people know nothing about mortuary science, but the show took us there and in doing so became one of the best shows on TV.  :)

David Puddy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 10:58:25 AM »
It's The Cosby show effect. A black Doctor was married to a black Lawyer and the show was a hit. Now all black people on TV have to be successful. ::)

That's right. Poor black kid searching for an image is getting screwed big time. Watching all this He thinks he has to say "aks" instead of ask, otherwise "forgeting where he from".. know-uat-im-sayin-yo'

Black doctors and lawyers in the real worlld look like doctors and lawyers, not like they're about to go soul train on us.
Talk to me babay.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »
I don't know what shows you are talking about. WB  (the CW) has taken off most of their "ethnic" shows. These were shows that they used to anchor themselves with an audience. Now, I like "Girlfriends'", which shows a mix of professional black women. Also, "The Game", features a real athlete, and one of the Tia/Tamara sisters plays someone in med school. 

Alex23

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »
I don't know what shows you are talking about. WB  (the CW) has taken off most of their "ethnic" shows. These were shows that they used to anchor themselves with an audience. Now, I like "Girlfriends'", which shows a mix of professional black women. Also, "The Game", features a real athlete, and one of the Tia/Tamara sisters plays someone in med school. 

All reruns and haha "The Game" oh brother.. everyone's a bling bling football player and if not in "law school" and/or "med school" yet living like they're making the kind of dought I make and allways "hanging out"...  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

YO YO YO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 05:08:05 PM »
Bring back Good Times.

They kept it real.

David Puddy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 12:25:14 AM »
I watch my Arby's shits sink.

It's a better show.

High Five.
Talk to me babay.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »
All reruns and haha "The Game" oh brother.. everyone's a bling bling football player and if not in "law school" and/or "med school" yet living like they're making the kind of dought I make and allways "hanging out"...  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

YO YO YO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its kinda like, nobody wants to see on TV some dude who is down and out...unfortunately, one of the best shows "South Central" was taken off the air back in the mid 90's, also that show about a predominantly black hospital. Many of the shows are reflective of the hip-hop culture, in which "flashing the bling", and athletes are making the big money. Think about it like this. Most attorneys and doctors on TV are shown as beautiful and intelligent. In real life, that is far from the case. Many times the doctors are more out of shape than their patients are.