Author Topic: am I understanding bands right?  (Read 2138 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
am I understanding bands right?
« on: January 10, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »
lets say I have blue bands that are rated at 100lbs at the distance I use them at.. is that 100 apiece or combined? if it's 40at the bottom and 100 at the top rated does that make them 80 at the bottom and 200 at the top when I use one band on each side?!  ???

JLW

• Getbig I
Re: am I understanding bands right?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 06:52:19 AM »
Rating is per band, so yes 200 at top and 40 at bottom.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:39:57 AM »
DAMN! that changes how I look at things!  :o

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »
Pretty sure my bands are rated for the pair.

If not I am a monster!  ;D

My blues are rated at 235lbs at 5.5'.

What I need to figure out (this weekend) is how much the resistance increases as you go past 5.5'.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:58:43 PM »
Pretty sure my bands are rated for the pair.

If not I am a monster!  ;D

My blues are rated at 235lbs at 5.5'.

What I need to figure out (this weekend) is how much the resistance increases as you go past 5.5'.

yeah see I wondered that myself because I see people doing what looks like one or two bands but are telling me they're 200 or 300 at the top.. I thought it was a pair myself but I'm getting mixed answers.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »
yeah see I wondered that myself because I see people doing what looks like one or two bands but are telling me they're 200 or 300 at the top.. I thought it was a pair myself but I'm getting mixed answers.

I can tell you that our blue bands rigged on the monolift are about ~250lbs at the top.  Thats for the pair.  Dont get too caught up in it, just make sure youre employing them properly.

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:22:34 PM »
I still wish I could understand why when I walk out with a banded squat rated at 615...615 all iron feels alot heavier! maybe it's a mental thing seeing less plates!  ;D

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 07:24:56 PM »
I still wish I could understand why when I walk out with a banded squat rated at 615...615 all iron feels alot heavier! maybe it's a mental thing seeing less plates!  ;D

The bands actually help stabilize you, so it may feel less due to being "tighter." IN PL meet s you can tell guys who used a shitton of bands for a long time because they SHAKE under weight.  That or weak abs, anyway :D

Jason

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 07:38:48 AM »
I can tell you that our blue bands rigged on the monolift are about ~250lbs at the top.  Thats for the pair.  Dont get too caught up in it, just make sure youre employing them properly.

Jason

I second that.

Great post.
As empty as paradise

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »
The bands actually help stabilize you, so it may feel less due to being "tighter." IN PL meet s you can tell guys who used a shitton of bands for a long time because they SHAKE under weight.  That or weak abs, anyway :D

Jason

I can confirm that stabilizing effect. I used them for front squats and used FAR more weight with the bands than without them. I attribute this to the fact that the bands are pulling the bar into my shoulders making it easier to keep from rolling off.