Author Topic: Couture is target of UFC lawsuit  (Read 6248 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Couture is target of UFC lawsuit
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »

Heavyweight champ in breach of contract, MMA group claims

The strained relationship between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and its heavyweight champion Randy Couture has taken another bad turn -- directly into a Las Vegas courtroom.

Lawyers for Zuffa, LLC, the UFC's parent company, on Monday filed suit in Clark County District Court, alleging chiefly that Couture's comments about the UFC and its senior management caused the business irreparable damage and that he is in breach of the contract he signed with the company in December 2006.

"We are alleging numerous intentional torts, which have caused Zuffa and the UFC significant harm," attorney Donald J. Campbell said. "Based upon that harm we are seeking to address these matters before a court of law."

The lawsuit seeks damages in excess of $10,000 and states that the amount of both compensatory and punitive damages would be proven at trial. It also seeks an injunction restraining Couture from participating in any way in any promotion competing against the UFC.

Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Couture is target of UFC lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:13:56 PM »
    “What’s really tough for me, to be honest, is we have been friends for a very long time. The hard part is that he is not living up to his obligations. Captain America is not keeping his word….. I expect Randy to honor the obligations in his contract that he signed (a year ago). I tried to resolve it by talking to this guy that I’ve had a relationship with for eight years and was unsuccessful. Now this thing’s in the hands of the justice system.”

- Dana White
Z

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:20:51 PM »
randy's fuckin up

just because you become a fan fovorite again dos'nt mean you can walk away from a contract,it sure seems like randy takes himself too seriously,the funny thing is he's really not in fedors league !

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »
he should finish the two fights on his contract. then he can do whatever he wants.
Z

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:31:06 PM »
he should finish the two fights on his contract. then he can do whatever he wants.

I think at his age the ride he's been on is in serious danger of coming to a standstill.....

I'm just not so sure he's got 2 title defenses in him....

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
put him against kimbo
Z

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 04:35:40 PM »
if he did that he would risk losing is top ranking thus losing out on a large pay day with Fedor. Randy can get hit and often leaves himself open, i think Randy wants to play it smart and fight for one huge payday.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 04:37:37 PM »
if he did that he would risk losing is top ranking thus losing out on a large pay day with Fedor. Randy can get hit and often leaves himself open, i think Randy wants to play it smart and fight for one huge payday.

hows he gonna fight fedor as long as his under contract with ufc
Z

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »
You sign a contract, honor it. He is acting like these ghetto basketball players who want 20 million after one good season.
E

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »
hows he gonna fight fedor as long as his under contract with ufc
guess he didnt think it through. it would be interesting to see who he would have fought in the UFC.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 05:42:12 PM »
He charges $1,000 for an hour private class.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 06:56:33 PM »
He charges $1,000 for an hour private class.

for a  $1,000 his wife would have to throw in a blow job !

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 07:18:22 PM »

Heavyweight champ in breach of contract, MMA group claims

The strained relationship between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and its heavyweight champion Randy Couture has taken another bad turn -- directly into a Las Vegas courtroom.

Lawyers for Zuffa, LLC, the UFC's parent company, on Monday filed suit in Clark County District Court, alleging chiefly that Couture's comments about the UFC and its senior management caused the business irreparable damage and that he is in breach of the contract he signed with the company in December 2006.

"We are alleging numerous intentional torts, which have caused Zuffa and the UFC significant harm," attorney Donald J. Campbell said. "Based upon that harm we are seeking to address these matters before a court of law."

The lawsuit seeks damages in excess of $10,000 and states that the amount of both compensatory and punitive damages would be proven at trial. It also seeks an injunction restraining Couture from participating in any way in any promotion competing against the UFC.

10 grand doesent even seem like a significant amount when you consider who's involved here, plus consider lawyer and court costs that would probably be more than the damages being sought.  Bluto probably cut and pasted something he didn't even read again.   
Predictions
 40/61

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 08:12:16 PM »
10 grand doesent even seem like a significant amount when you consider who's involved here, plus consider lawyer and court costs that would probably be more than the damages being sought.  Bluto probably cut and pasted something he didn't even read again.   

It probably means it's not going to go to small claims court, therefore they had to define whether they're looking for less than $10k or more. Dana's obviously giving a huge middle finger to Randy and I can't see the claim be anything less than few million.

kietel74

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:09 AM »
I think Randy is kidding himself! As a fighter and commentator with the ufc he was great and I'm sure the ufc would have a high paying long term job after his 2 fights , Going to "Hollywood" to do movies is a joke how long will that really last? I respect Randy but this sport is on its way up and came from being a freak show without zuffa or Dana randy would be a high school wrestling coach . I'm still in shock he was great for mma i still think mma is 100yrs behind boxing or football so if your getting 1mil a fight your doing very well. even if randy lost his last 2 fights I'm sure he would be the most respected. He did the wrong thing

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 10:39:04 AM »
randy's fuckin up

just because you become a fan fovorite again dos'nt mean you can walk away from a contract,it sure seems like randy takes himself too seriously,the funny thing is he's really not in fedors league !

hey man, be carefull...or the internet tap-out warriors, tuf wannabees are going to choke you out and make you tap (OHHHW THE HORROR) if they see you saying this sacrilege... ;D
!

kietel74

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »
The internet is a wonderful thing and opinions are like assholes everyone has one and this is mine. Im sure they would like to choke my naked rear!

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 03:34:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure I can take bluto !

cht868

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 12:20:31 PM »
who the hell is left for randy to beat in the ufc hw division?  cro cop won't work, he hasn't beaten anybody 4 a while...noguera would be a good fight, but beating him wouldn't prove nearly as much as beating fedor would

the ufc should sign fedor's younger brother and match him vs couture for one of his 2 remaining fights

the other fight should be couture vs kimbo

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
stop placing kimbo in big fights, hes just learning the sport and gradually moving up through different level fighters will make him great and complete. i think couture on the other hand is gonna do this fight even if he get sued for it

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 07:16:20 AM »
Sood.