Author Topic: more biggest loser nonsense..  (Read 6007 times)

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
more biggest loser nonsense..
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:07:53 AM »
The Biggest Loser is currently one of the most popular reality tv shows around the world. It’s even more interesting from a weight loss model point of view, given the rapid weight loss contestants achieve over 10 weeks  - up to 20 pounds in one week! This is of course quite a bit more than the recommended 3 pounds a week from health professionals.

So given research that people undertaking  rapid weight loss tend to regain most of there weight within three years, Fitdoo thought it would be interesting to see how the previous winners of the Biggest Loser are getting on now.

Season 1: Ryan Benson

Ryan lost 122 lbs. to win the first season of The Biggest Loser dropping to 207 lbs. Weight now? 300 lbs.

Ryan’s Myspace page has some interesting comments about the extreme measures he took to win the show and also the depression he felt after falling back into his hold eating habits. Interestingly he was back up to 240 lbs five days after the show just be rehydrating himself. It really highlights the negative aspect of the show’s focus on weight, which can be affected by hydration, rather than actual body fat loss.

Season 2 Matt Hoover

Matt dropped 157 lbs down to 182 lbs to win Season 2 with a staggering 46.31% weight loss. Matt is now a motivational speaker and married to another contestant, Suzy Preston. Matt also packed on 15 lbs immediately after winning through re-hydration and a normal diet. Fitdoo can’t see any stats on his current weight although this recent photo of the two announcing the birth of their child suggests he has kept a good chunk of the weight off.

Fitdoo would comment that perhaps Matt and Suzy’s success is from their relationship - research has shown that those who train with a partner achieve better results than those who train alone. Having someone motivate you to exercise and help you exercise restraint is more effective than trying to maintain results on your own.

Season 3. Erik Chopin

Erik won Season 3 in December 2006.A deli owner (temptation must be tough!), Erik lost 214 lbs to drop from 407 lbs to 193 lbs - a 52.58% weight loss. Since winning Erik has put back on 22 lbs so it will be interesting in 3 years to see if he has managed to maintain the weight loss.

Â

Season 1 (Australia): Adriano Sarnelli

Adriano “Adro” Sarnellie won the Australian version of The Biggest Loser in April 2006. Adro dropped from 319 lbs to 187lbs losing 132 lbs in 10 weeks (37.58% of his body weight). When the show ended Adro regained 9 lbs and again commented how dehydrated he had been for the finale.

Ardo has managed to maintain his weight loss and has qualified as a personal trainer (smart maintenance move!) although he has had to undertake surgery to shed the excess skin following his dramatic weight loss.

Fiona Falkiner, another succesful contestant in the Australian show who has since piled the weight back on, has criticised the extreme weight loss regime as being “unrealistic and impossible to maintain” in normal life. Fiona lost 65 lbs and was a final four contestant. Like the other contestants she regained 15 lbs in the weeks following the show. Falkiner has now signed up with Jenny Craig to try and re-lose the weight.

Overall it looks like the “Biggest Losers” are facing the same struggles as anyone else who trys to maintain their weight after rapid weight loss. A gradual approach with permanent and sustainable lifestyle changes looks to be a better approach.

footloose and fancy free

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: more biggest loser nonsense..
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 05:12:27 AM »
oh fuck

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:13:46 AM »
MY EYES!!!  :o

p.s.: rockyfortune you'll soon be contacted by my lawyer for causing permanent damage to my oogles   8)

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:47:29 AM »
Season 2 Matt Hoover
Matt is now a motivational speaker

Hahahaha f*ck, there are no standards anymore on who can do what ::)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:09:28 AM »
Hahahaha f*ck, there are no standards anymore on who can do what ::)

True,
Hell,even your allowed to mod a board here ;)
 ;D

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:12:11 AM »
True,
Hell,even your allowed to mod a board here ;)
 ;D

Hey someone had to set the standard, even if we are talking about the lower end ;)

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:16:11 AM »
I did a 'Biggest Loser' contest in my neighborhood a few years ago. I'd see everyone killing themself for 8 weeks in the gym, running on the treadmill, no realizing how hungry they'd be after their workout. I did pretty much nothing for the first seven weeks except cut out soda, ice cream and chips. The last week, I ran every morning and evening for 15 minutes. The last 3 days I fasted. The last hour I sat in the sauna. I lost 23 lbs and won. It only took me about a day to get back to my pre-contest weight, but it took me a month to collect my $1000!
BigNationRadio.com

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 07:19:03 AM »
I did a 'Biggest Loser' contest in my neighborhood a few years ago. I'd see everyone killing themself for 8 weeks in the gym, running on the treadmill, no realizing how hungry they'd be after their workout. I did pretty much nothing for the first seven weeks except cut out soda, ice cream and chips. The last week, I ran every morning and evening for 15 minutes. The last 3 days I fasted. The last hour I sat in the sauna. I lost 23 lbs and won. It only took me about a day to get back to my pre-contest weight, but it took me a month to collect my $1000!

ROFL if this is true then great story and respect to you.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:22:12 AM »

Hot Dog! We have a wiener

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »
Hey someone had to set the standard, even if we are talking about the lower end ;)

;D

nder98

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getlaid!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:05:03 AM »
The Biggest Loser is currently one of the most popular reality tv shows around the world. It’s even more interesting from a weight loss model point of view, given the rapid weight loss contestants achieve over 10 weeks  - up to 20 pounds in one week! This is of course quite a bit more than the recommended 3 pounds a week from health professionals.

So given research that people undertaking  rapid weight loss tend to regain most of there weight within three years, Fitdoo thought it would be interesting to see how the previous winners of the Biggest Loser are getting on now.

Season 1: Ryan Benson

Ryan lost 122 lbs. to win the first season of The Biggest Loser dropping to 207 lbs. Weight now? 300 lbs.

Ryan’s Myspace page has some interesting comments about the extreme measures he took to win the show and also the depression he felt after falling back into his hold eating habits. Interestingly he was back up to 240 lbs five days after the show just be rehydrating himself. It really highlights the negative aspect of the show’s focus on weight, which can be affected by hydration, rather than actual body fat loss.

Season 2 Matt Hoover

Matt dropped 157 lbs down to 182 lbs to win Season 2 with a staggering 46.31% weight loss. Matt is now a motivational speaker and married to another contestant, Suzy Preston. Matt also packed on 15 lbs immediately after winning through re-hydration and a normal diet. Fitdoo can’t see any stats on his current weight although this recent photo of the two announcing the birth of their child suggests he has kept a good chunk of the weight off.

Fitdoo would comment that perhaps Matt and Suzy’s success is from their relationship - research has shown that those who train with a partner achieve better results than those who train alone. Having someone motivate you to exercise and help you exercise restraint is more effective than trying to maintain results on your own.

Season 3. Erik Chopin

Erik won Season 3 in December 2006.A deli owner (temptation must be tough!), Erik lost 214 lbs to drop from 407 lbs to 193 lbs - a 52.58% weight loss. Since winning Erik has put back on 22 lbs so it will be interesting in 3 years to see if he has managed to maintain the weight loss.

Â

Season 1 (Australia): Adriano Sarnelli

Adriano “Adro” Sarnellie won the Australian version of The Biggest Loser in April 2006. Adro dropped from 319 lbs to 187lbs losing 132 lbs in 10 weeks (37.58% of his body weight). When the show ended Adro regained 9 lbs and again commented how dehydrated he had been for the finale.

Ardo has managed to maintain his weight loss and has qualified as a personal trainer (smart maintenance move!) although he has had to undertake surgery to shed the excess skin following his dramatic weight loss.

Fiona Falkiner, another succesful contestant in the Australian show who has since piled the weight back on, has criticised the extreme weight loss regime as being “unrealistic and impossible to maintain” in normal life. Fiona lost 65 lbs and was a final four contestant. Like the other contestants she regained 15 lbs in the weeks following the show. Falkiner has now signed up with Jenny Craig to try and re-lose the weight.

Overall it looks like the “Biggest Losers” are facing the same struggles as anyone else who trys to maintain their weight after rapid weight loss. A gradual approach with permanent and sustainable lifestyle changes looks to be a better approach.

Great tits....

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 09:37:24 AM »

funny as shit...deadbeat neighbors...
footloose and fancy free