Author Topic: Question? How to increase max bench....  (Read 10863 times)

cl

• Getbig II
Question? How to increase max bench....
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »
I was wondering what the best way to increase your max bench was? Current workout to help with bench is dumb bell bench. flies, lat pulls. and the 4 sets of heavy 3 reps. My question is should I use lower weight more reps or stay with the heavier weight and less reps? Any other advice would be appreciated as always.
Thanks in Advance

Bodvar

• Getbig II
Re: Question? How to increase max bench....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »
Eat more

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:20:50 PM »
Gonna have to part with some details, bud.

What are your stats? How long ya been doing this?

Quick answer = check the bench press setup thread. I added 40lbs on my bench just with form modification. Some may add even more weight, try it.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:29:17 PM »
Gonna have to part with some details, bud.

What are your stats? How long ya been doing this?

Quick answer = check the bench press setup thread. I added 40lbs on my bench just with form modification. Some may add even more weight, try it.

That's right... your first and number one thing to work on is to learn how to bench and not only properly bench but to bench for POWER!  Doing so will usually add close to 50lbs or better on your bench. The average I've seen is about 40lbs.

I'll simply a few things that I have been playing with for awhile now...

learn to use your legs..leg drive will save your ass and create more power through the movement...

grip the bar like you're trying to put your finger indentions into it. This will help stabilize you..

find the proper grip width for benching. Not everyone is the same. Experiment until you find a grip width that's the most comfortable...

FULL ROM! If you're not already doing that get the fuck out of here...

Do alot of benching with just the bar. Don't worry about what people think about it. Learn and engrain your benching bar path and groove into your being. That way when you're under heavier weight you do it without thinking.

Get a stronger back, triceps, and delts. Duh. The more overall stronger you get the stronger your bench will be. A stronger back and thicker back will help stabilizer your press and also make you thicker meaning you have less distance to go for your bench. Triceps as well... these are HUGE in the bench press. Work them hard and heavy and delts as well.

BENCH press more! I don't care what people tell you. Flyes, pec dec, dumbbells..whatever wont' give you a bigger bench. You want a bigger bench.. then bench. All that other shit is just there AFTER benching.

Bench twice a week... once day working on your speed i.e. Dynamic work..and one day doing HEAVY benching in the 90%-95% range for triples and doubles for no more than 3-6 sets after warmup.

EAT RIGHT!

...there's a shitload more but most of it we've all had to learn the hard way or have done alot of research and work to get there. That's all I'm giving you for now.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:39:18 PM »
I think u are doing the right things now..lat pulls are good...benching with dumbbells...flyes...you are doing what I myself am doing...I went from 135 to 265 in one year and trying my best to get to 315, although I feel I am reaching the point where my strength can't go any higher (hope I am wrong)...I can only do 265 for one rep...I do 100 lb dumbbells (one in each hand)...trying to get up to 120 lbs which is the limit for dumbbells in my gym

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »
I think u are doing the right things now..lat pulls are good...benching with dumbbells...flyes...you are doing what I myself am doing...I went from 135 to 265 in one year and trying my best to get to 315, although I feel I am reaching the point where my strength can't go any higher (hope I am wrong)...I can only do 265 for one rep...I do 100 lb dumbbells (one in each hand)...trying to get up to 120 lbs which is the limit for dumbbells in my gym

;D

Bodvar

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »
I still think I had the best advice

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »
I still think I had the best advice

I agree with your advice to eat more...I have really begun to add one or two protein shakes a day and it is making a difference with strength and size...also don't overlook the psychological aspect...don't be afraid of the bar...load it up and get under there and lift...don't worry about what guys in the gym will think if you fail...I was once afraid of the bar but wouldn't admit it and kept making excuses....until I really hunkered down psychologically and decided to become determined to lift heavy and endure the pain and discomfort

cl

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 02:24:21 PM »
I was out on travel but I want to thank everyone for the input. I currently bech 305. I do reps of 3 and 5 between 245 and 265 depending on the day etc. I work myself up from 135, 155, 185, 205, 225 245 265 etc maybe benching too much to many reps ??? Thanks again

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »
if you only bench once a week you should try buckeye training..

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »
bump

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 11:57:36 AM »

Thanks for explaining.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
Train bench every 5 to 7 days depending upon your recovery ability, and on training day start with benches 4*6 and then do a compound tricep exercise which mimics the bench press ie. floor presses, JM presses, close-grip bench presses, also for 4 sets of 6. Also, eliminate direct delt work, except for maybe some rotator cuff work.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »
Train bench every 5 to 7 days depending upon your recovery ability, and on training day start with benches 4*6 and then do a compo a und tricep exercise which mimics the bench press ie. floor presses, JM presses, close-grip bench presses, also for 4 sets of 6. Also, eliminate direct delt work, except for maybe some rotator cuff work.

interesting..I'll give it a try

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 02:58:53 PM »
Also, stick with the same weight for all 4 work sets, and then once you can get 4 sets of 6 reps with the same weight, increase the weight on your next workout.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 03:01:24 PM »
Also, stick with the same weight for all 4 work sets, and then once you can get 4 sets of 6 reps with the same weight, increase the weight on your next workout.

thanks dude

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 04:53:01 AM »
Watch Ed Coan's tape - The Bench.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 06:18:42 AM »
also depends if you are doing raw benching or a shirted bench,some of the assistant work will be different,shirted-do board presses,reverse bands,floor pressesetc. for raw try illegal wides,heavy inclines,have a sperate day for shoulder work,delts seem to need to be stronger when raw benching.and for both have a seperate dynamic day doing speed work with bands and chains.

adrain

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »
Train bench every 5 to 7 days depending upon your recovery ability, and on training day start with benches 4*6 and then do a compound tricep exercise which mimics the bench press ie. floor presses, JM presses, close-grip bench presses, also for 4 sets of 6. Also, eliminate direct delt work, except for maybe some rotator cuff work.
dj181 what's the reason for eliminating delt work?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 12:48:13 AM »
Well, those aren't necessarily my own guidelines, those were the guidelines that were presented to me by JM Blakely, and he said the reason for no direct delt work is because the delts get plenty of work from benching and most tricep work, since the tricep work always involves compound moves (close-grip benches, floor presses, etc). Also, he believed that the delts were very easily over trained. I remember when I told him that I want broad delts, and he said to me, "Do I look narrow to you?" At that time he was near 300 pounds. ROFL!

adrain

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 06:16:38 AM »
Well, those aren't necessarily my own guidelines, those were the guidelines that were presented to me by JM Blakely, and he said the reason for no direct delt work is because the delts get plenty of work from benching and most tricep work, since the tricep work always involves compound moves (close-grip benches, floor presses, etc). Also, he believed that the delts were very easily over trained. I remember when I told him that I want broad delts, and he said to me, "Do I look narrow to you?" At that time he was near 300 pounds. ROFL!
Ok thanks, I'm trying some differnt routines.  Trying to increase my max by 40lbs or so, want the 550Lb press.  I have focused on increasing it in awhile had to let some joints and muscle strains recover.  It's time now. 

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
Do you compete in bp comps, or do you just bench to bench? Also, if you do, or will compete, will you compete raw, or with a bench shirt? Just curious.

adrain

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 10:34:06 AM »
Do you compete in bp comps, or do you just bench to bench? Also, if you do, or will compete, will you compete raw, or with a bench shirt? Just curious.
Its just a personal goal, always had a good bench, it will be a raw lift.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
That's cool man, good luck and train hard.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 12:38:26 PM »
I was wondering what the best way to increase your max bench was? Current workout to help with bench is dumb bell bench. flies, lat pulls. and the 4 sets of heavy 3 reps. My question is should I use lower weight more reps or stay with the heavier weight and less reps? Any other advice would be appreciated as always.
Thanks in Advance
dips and then dips with with weights attached.  if you weigh 250 when you can dip with a 150 lbs you can now bench 400 big uns.
F