Author Topic: Canada puts US on 'torture list'  (Read 1723 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Canada puts US on 'torture list'
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »
The United States has been listed as a country where prisoners are at risk of torture in a training document produced by the Canadian foreign ministry.
It also classifies some US interrogation techniques as torture.

The manual - part of a training course on torture awareness for diplomats - also includes Israel, China, Iran and Afghanistan on its watch list.

A government spokesman said the manual did not reflect the views of Canada, which is an ally of the US and Israel.

"The training manual is not a policy document and does not reflect the views or policies of this government," said a spokesman for Foreign Minister Maxime Bernier.

The manual lists US interrogation techniques such as forced nudity, isolation, sleep deprivation and the blindfolding of prisoners under "definition of torture".

It also refers to the US detention camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba where a Canadian man is being held. Critics say it ridicules Ottawa's claims that Omar Khadr is not being mistreated.

There was no immediate response from either the US or Israel.

full article:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7195276.stm

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Canada puts US on 'torture list'
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »
canada calls us torturers.

japan is running an independent 911 investigation.

we're popular!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 07:56:38 PM »
It will interesting to see what Japan's conclusions are. 

But how are they going to be able to run a good investigation?  I don't see America just letting them into classified information when we can't even get the footage from those cameras at the pentagon.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 08:13:27 PM »
It will interesting to see what Japan's conclusions are. 

But how are they going to be able to run a good investigation?  I don't see America just letting them into classified information when we can't even get the footage from those cameras at the pentagon.

They aren't going to find any smoking guns or 'break the case'.

They are going to contribute to worldwide opinion that it was an inside job.  And the precedent will make it easier for other nations, and eventually our own, to investigate.

their people were killed on 9/11... there is no denying they have a right to investigate the crime as we do the same when our folks are killed abroad.

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
"The training manual is not a policy document and does not reflect the views or policies of this government," said a spokesman for Foreign Minister Maxime Bernier.

Yes it does.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Purge_WTF

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:35:49 AM »
  Who the hell cares what Canada thinks about us? I don't.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 08:14:02 AM »
Since Canada has troops in Afghanistan and Canadian SOF help round up AQ and Taliban, I'm pretty sure they are facilitating all this supposed "torture".
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 08:59:36 AM »
BWHAHAHHahahhhahahhahhah a...  oops...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 09:18:59 AM »
It's reallly simple - the US utilizes techniques that other countries view as being torture.  Regardless of the political double talk the Canadian government allowed this to be published in a training manual so at some level it reflects the views of the Canadian government

here's the last part of the article

The document was provided to Amnesty International as part of a court case it is bringing against the Canadian government over the treatment of detainees in Afghanistan.

Canada has come under growing criticism following allegations that detainees were tortured in Afghanistan after its soldiers transferred suspects to Afghan security forces.

Amnesty is calling for stopping all transfers of prisoners to the Afghan authorities.

The torture awareness course was introduced after Ottawa was strongly criticised for its handling of the case of a Canadian who was deported from the US to Syria in 2002.

Syrian-born Maher Arar - who was accused of being an al-Qaeda member - says he was tortured during his 10 months in a Damascus jail - a claim strongly denied by Syria.

A Canadian government inquiry exonerated Mr Arar of any links with terrorist groups. It also showed that Canadian diplomats had not had any formal training on how to detect whether detainees had been abused.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 09:53:56 AM »
  Who the hell cares what Canada thinks about us? I don't.

I sure don't. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 10:05:17 AM »
I sure don't. 

Do you care what any nation in the world thinks of the US?
If you don't value Canada's opinion, I doubt you value any.

It's sad you have no standards.  Sad that you don't want your nation to be a leader in the world, a shining star of how to be strong yet diplomatics.  Walk softly but carry a big stick.  We used to be seen as the solver of the world's problems, not the cause.

You don't care what canada thinks, because you don't even know what YOU think.  When Pres. Hilary bans torture, you'll be cheerleading that too.  You're a sheep.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »

It's sad you have no standards.  Sad that you don't want your nation to be a leader in the world, a shining star of how to be strong yet diplomatics.  Walk softly but carry a big stick.  We used to be seen as the solver of the world's problems, not the cause.

You don't care what canada thinks, because you don't even know what YOU think.  When Pres. Hilary bans torture, you'll be cheerleading that too.  You're a sheep.

what does that have to do with anything? do you have to likable to be a world leader? you do whats right, not what is popular.

a "sheep" does whats nice, what makes them look good, what makes people like you.

beach bum is in a minority. you are in the majority. whos the sheep?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »

[chuckle]  I see the rabid Chihuahua is still determined to follow me around, trying to turn every thread into a Beach Bum thread.  Nice try.  But you keep nipping at my heels if that makes you happy.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »
what does that have to do with anything? do you have to likable to be a world leader? you do whats right, not what is popular.

a "sheep" does whats nice, what makes them look good, what makes people like you.

beach bum is in a minority. you are in the majority. whos the sheep?

Ding.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »
saying that you don't care about a country that shares our border and is an ally is just short-sighted and stupid

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 10:26:58 AM »
saying that you don't care about a country that shares our border and is an ally is just short-sighted and stupid

And who said that? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 10:40:44 AM »
And who said that? 

are you joking?

Purge_WFT asked the question "who cares what they think about us"? and you responded "I sure don't"

what's your spin?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »
are you joking?

Purge_WFT asked the question "who cares what they think about us"? and you responded "I sure don't"

what's your spin?

Oh brother.   ::)  No I don't care what Canada, Mexico, or any other country thinks about the U.S.  That doesn't mean I don't care about their countries and/or what happens to them.  If you can't understand that distinction, then I can't help you.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
Oh brother.   ::)  No I don't care what Canada, Mexico, or any other country thinks about the U.S.  That doesn't mean I don't care about their countries and/or what happens to them.  If you can't understand that distinction, then I can't help you.   

hilarious - I figured you were going to go with the semantic argument parsing the word "thinks" and I was even going to ask you that but I figured it was too fucking stupid even for you.

OK - let's review - you don't care what they think about us (as if a country can think) but you do care about them......ok

you're a masterful communicator

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »
hilarious - I figured you were going to go with the semantic argument parsing the word "thinks" and I was even going to ask you that but I figured it was too fucking stupid even for you.

OK - let's review - you don't care what they think about us (as if a country can think) but you do care about them......ok

you're a masterful communicator

lol.  Why did I know this would be over your head.  :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 10:59:54 AM »
lol.  Why did I know this would be over your head.  :)

it's not over my head it's just fucking lame

and you KNOW IT

Purge_WTF

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »

Ditto.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »
I dont see what the problem is.   Of course we torture...we also occupy and destroy other countries in our spare time....this is all obvious. :-\