Author Topic: Carb Question  (Read 1133 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Carb Question
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
Cutting back on carbs has always leaned me up in the past (with roughly 1g protein per lb. and minimal fat). Approaching 40, though, I'm starting to lose lotsa muscle this way, too. Always train first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, weights one day, cardio the next; then daily cardio when I plateau.

Question: Do I up carbs throughout the day, the first few meals, or maybe up fats some?

Thing is, I'm not getting hungry or weak, but if I NEED more ... Diet looks like this:

1) Whey shake / oats (15-20g)
2) Chicken / brown rice (12-15g) / veg
3) Same as 1
4) Turkey / small yam / veg
5) Whey shake
6) Eggs or tuna / salad

Suggestions? Thanks.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: Carb Question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
huge mistake training on an empty stomach.   

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
That's it?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:02:19 PM »
Gotta agree with Candi on that one.
:

BigUncleRock

• Getbig II
  • It's not the style, but the man!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 06:31:52 PM »
Then whats best to have right before training. I often train on a empty stomach.

If I have time I will have a shake about 45 mins before.

Is that enough? Is there something better or more benefitial.

Advice princess???

Thanks
Rock

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
Some BCAA's in your system before training will not only help with recovery but also stave off muscle wasting while doing cardio.  Your body should burn fat and not turn to muscle for fuel.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 07:10:34 PM »
Then whats best to have right before training. I often train on a empty stomach.

If I have time I will have a shake about 45 mins before.

Is that enough? Is there something better or more benefitial.

Advice princess???

Thanks
if you only have 45 mins to get something in your system in the morning..you nee to make it a shake. so thats good...but you need to put some dextrose(or waxy maize if youve got it), some whey, and some mct's in the shake.   a good combo would be two scoops of a whey isolate like isopure, two scoops of waxy like vitargo, and a tablespoon of mct's like vpx's "thinfat".   

all of those nutrint will hit the blood stream within 45 mins.

during your workout you should sip a similar shake, and post workout as well.   the carb/fat content of the during/post shakes will depend on your metabolism...but the pre training shake needs a good amount of all the nutrients including the carbs and fats..no matter what your metabolic rate is.

BigUncleRock

• Getbig II
  • It's not the style, but the man!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »
if you only have 45 mins to get something in your system in the morning..you nee to make it a shake. so thats good...but you need to put some dextrose(or waxy maize if youve got it), some whey, and some mct's in the shake.   a good combo would be two scoops of a whey isolate like isopure, two scoops of waxy like vitargo, and a tablespoon of mct's like vpx's "thinfat".   

all of those nutrint will hit the blood stream within 45 mins.

during your workout you should sip a similar shake, and post workout as well.   the carb/fat content of the during/post shakes will depend on your metabolism...but the pre training shake needs a good amount of all the nutrients including the carbs and fats..no matter what your metabolic rate is.

Thanks guys.

Will make the change, and see what happens.
Rock

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 12:13:40 AM »
Your body needs fat, especially in a carbohydrate deficit.  Fats are fucking anabolic!

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
Cutting back on carbs has always leaned me up in the past (with roughly 1g protein per lb. and minimal fat). Approaching 40, though, I'm starting to lose lotsa muscle this way, too. Always train first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, weights one day, cardio the next; then daily cardio when I plateau.

Question: Do I up carbs throughout the day, the first few meals, or maybe up fats some?

Thing is, I'm not getting hungry or weak, but if I NEED more ... Diet looks like this:

1) Whey shake / oats (15-20g)
2) Chicken / brown rice (12-15g) / veg
3) Same as 1
4) Turkey / small yam / veg
5) Whey shake
6) Eggs or tuna / salad

Suggestions? Thanks.

Man, that sounds like starvation! You starve yourself, you will lose muscle and retain fat!! Need to eat to lose man..

As far as training on an empty stomach, try a scoop or two of whey when you wake, some BCAA while you are training and then a whey and waxy maize shake post training. If you are trying to get lean, too many calories (carbs) before you train could hamper your fat loss. Then make sure to eat every two three hours with a better balance of carbs, protein and fats....

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:58:35 AM »
Man, that sounds like starvation! You starve yourself, you will lose muscle and retain fat!! Need to eat to lose man..

As far as training on an empty stomach, try a scoop or two of whey when you wake, some BCAA while you are training and then a whey and waxy maize shake post training. If you are trying to get lean, too many calories (carbs) before you train could hamper your fat loss. Then make sure to eat every two three hours with a better balance of carbs, protein and fats....

Thanks. More carbs (especially from the bloaty PM meals) start to feel forced, but I'll give it a try. What good fats would you recommend?

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 03:24:37 PM »
Bloaty pm meals? Are you saying startchy carbs make you bloated? Then cut them out of your last one or two meals and make sure you are eating plenty of fiberous carbs in their place.

Good fats: Almonds, mixed nuts, Almond butter, Natural PB, Flax- whole and liquid form, Avacado, egg yolks, fatty fish (protein and fats)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »

Good fats: Almonds, mixed nuts, Almond butter, Natural PB, Flax- whole and liquid form, Avacado, egg yolks, fatty fish (protein and fats)

and fish oil and olive oil
:

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »
and fish oil and olive oil

OOPS! thanks for cleaning up after me  ;)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 10:52:06 PM »
i wouldnt advise egg yoks unless they are omega 3 yolks...modern egg's are really just saturated fat that lend themselves towards fat storage before usage as energy.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 07:09:19 AM »
i wouldnt advise egg yoks unless they are omega 3 yolks...modern egg's are really just saturated fat that lend themselves towards fat storage before usage as energy.

Dont over think candi...