Author Topic: training of the old stars  (Read 4642 times)

wgtnmuscle1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
training of the old stars
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:49:04 PM »
hi
what would benifit a person the best
steve reeves 3 day per week training and diet
or bill pearls training
or larry scott from his book loaded guns

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
Re: training of the old stars
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:49:04 PM »
Try using those routines as an outline and then making something individual to you out of them.  The best routine is the one that works for you.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »
Good advice from Viking! "The best is the one that works for you!"

You don't mention your present physical condition, but in the old days most of us would start out with a general Powerlifting routine.... Bench Presses, squats, military presses, deadlifts, and curls.

Once your muscle mass increased, we would "specialize" with one of the more popular BB's routines and do our best to get big and ripped in the process.

One solid piece of personal advice from Bill Pearl many years ago was to get your bodyfat down before attempting a serious bodybuilding routine.

We used to change routines periodically in an effort to "shock" our system. I never did fully understand that but there must be a better name for it today.

I promoted a show with Reeves a few years before he passed away. Great guy with lots of memories. Met him many times as a young kid while growing up in the SF Bay Area years  before he became Hercules.
I've known Bill since the 70's and recently had a decent talk with him at a Fitness Industry event in LV. He looks great and hasn't aged much to be honest.
And I met Larry a few times back in the 60's when he looked like a great gymnast. Next time I saw him was at some contest in one of the So Cal beach cities when he had blown up to look utterly unbelievable. In top shape, Larry was one of the best I've ever met and would have been promoted more by Weider if Arnold had not come under his influence. Larry had a set up guns that were unbeatable and gave the best seminar I've ever seen.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:49:09 PM »

Bingo!

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:31:23 AM »

I agree. If you like to work the entire body in one work out like Steve did...then 3 X week is good with a day to rest in between. If you like to split it up and do upper body on Mon. and lower body on Tues. (or other various body part splits)...that works too. Try different methods and take note of the results. I posted the following below before on a different thread, but here it is again if you have interest in Steve's methods.

Steve's Training for Mr. America contest :

Upright Row                       3 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--narrow grip
Press Behind neck               3 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--wide grip
Lateral Raises                     3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbells--bent over
Bench Press                       3 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--wide grip
Incline Bench Press              3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbells--thumbs in 
Flying Motion                      3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbells--bent over
Pulldown behind neck            3 sets   8-12 reps
  overhead pulley--wide grip
Rowing seated                     3 sets   8-12 reps
  low pulley--narrow grip
One Arm Rowing                   3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbell--toward hips
Incline Bench Curl                 6 sets   5-7 reps
  dumbells--down the rack
Bench Curl                           3 sets   8-12 reps
  overhead pulley-bar           
Concentration curls               1 set     8-12 reps
  dumbell--elbow on knee 
Tricep pushdowns                 3 sets   8-12 reps
  high pulley--narrow
Tricep extensions                  3 sets   8-12 reps
  one dumbell--behind neck
Tricep crossovers                  3 sets   8-12 reps
  dumbell--1arm on bench
Parallel squats                       3 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--heels on 2"block
Hack lifts                              2 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--heels on block
Front squats                         2 sets   8-12 reps
  barbell--in clean position
Leg curls                              2 sets   8-12 reps
  workout partner resistance
Calf Raises                           3 sets   20-25 reps
  leg press machine
Forward bends                      3 sets   12-15 reps
  barbell--seated
Knee raises                          2 sets   20-25 reps
  vert.bench--ankle weight
Work neck                            1 set    15-20 reps
  all 4 sides--partner resistance

I train 3 times/week: Mon. morning, Wed. night and Sat. morning or afternoon. This way, you have a little over a day of rest in between training days to recover and build and won't get burnt out because you will feel ready, anticipate and look forward to hitting the gym again the next time, every time. The main thing is that you have to enjoy the way you do it or you won't continue to do it, use total concentration while you do it, put your mind on the muscle you are training, train safe and smart, start with less and gradually build, feel the pressure of a challenge but not the pain of a tear that injures. Remember this is ultimately for you--no one else, so go at your own pace. And pace yourself. Don't be in a hurry to do it wrong. Take the time to do it right. Remember to breathe and have water and/or some type of sports drink with you during training so you don't get dehydrated.  Some people hit a plateau and can see results when they either mix up their routine a bit and/or make sure to get enough rest. Remember, it's during the rest that the muscle grows. Whatever you train, it's gonna grow. You tear it down in the gym and then it repairs and gets bigger in your sleep so that it's ready to take on another hit the next time you pick up the weights. So, if you train, you need more sleep.
Start with a warm up (I just do a kind of posing routine very slowly.  You can do a number of different kinds of things for a warm up)...then do it in this order, waiting between 1-2 min. between each body part before moving to the next body part:

1.) Deltoids
 2.) Chest (Pectorals)
 3.) Back (Mid and Upper Latisimus Dorsi)
 4.) Biceps
 5.) Triceps
 6.) Quadriceps (front thigh)
 7.) Hamstrings (back of legs)
 8.) Calves
 9.) Lower Back
10.) Abdominals (stomach)
11.) Neck

The logic behind starting with the smaller muscles first, then moving to the larger muscles is that about 80% of your blood is located in your glutes and legs (legs are the strongest muscle in the body), so if you work them first, then even more blood goes to those areas and it makes it harder to get  the blood back into the smaller muscles of your upper body later because it forces it to work against gravity. And you want as much blood in the body part that you work when you are working it, so when you do the upper body first, then it makes you able to put in a better maximum effort in the chest, delts, biceps...then move to the larger muscles of legs and glutes. It just feels better when you do it like this in this sequence.  And the good thing about doing it this way is that when you are working one body part, it is warming up the body part next to it so that it is ready to go next. I usually do 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps. I work the entire body in each workout.

The things to keep in mind that need to be monitored and adjusted accordingly as you progress are the amount of weight you use, the number of repetitions, the speed of your movement, the pause between reps and sets, the number of sets, the concentration on good form and the amount of time you work out.

There are many different kinds of exercises that incorporate various weights and machines and the beauty of it is you get to decide what works for you. You can change and will change things as you learn and grow. Good luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:55:20 AM »
As others have suggested, try each program, decided for yourself based both on results, personal appeal and convenience re: schedule. I'd give each one at least a few months.

Once you've tried each one you can then either stay with the best one, keep a few of them and rotate amongst them every few months, or modify one to include the best parts of each.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:09:38 AM »
Hey Pump,
I know you’re something of a Larry Scott scholar.
Have you read “Loaded Guns,” or seen any of Larry’s videos?

I’ve been thinking of purchasing some of them.
I’m just curious if most of the material has already been covered in his online newsletters or his old M&F articles from the 80’s.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:41:45 AM »
Hey Pump,
I know you’re something of a Larry Scott scholar.
Have you read “Loaded Guns,” or seen any of Larry’s videos?

I’ve been thinking of purchasing some of them.
I’m just curious if most of the material has already been covered in his online newsletters or his old M&F articles from the 80’s.

I don't think you'll go wrong by getting them, as they'll have more detail. I mean, how much money are we talking? Peanuts! Try loaded guns as well as some of Vince Gironda's material or books. You can always sell later and the costs are low.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »
Cool.
Thank you.
 ;)