Author Topic: New York Giants win today and will...  (Read 6299 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: New York Giants win today and will...
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
There is a distinct possibility that the Pats will role the Giants like the Niners did to the Broncos.   

This is the Super Bowl, Bill will have 2 weeks to prepare in a stadium that's perfect for passing. 

this is just a possibility,

That being said, The giants are playing better than the Pats are right now.   They have confidence and momentum.  I think a good bet might be to take the Giants with the points.   They in all likely hood lose but not by 14.  14 is way too much for this.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: GIANTS....
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »

The san d D rush is just as good as the giants at this point. Tom Brady is the most blitzed qb in the NFL. His passer rating vs the blitz is 110. Best in the NFL. Your assumption that blitzing Brady makes him venerable is wrong. Giving Brady time is a bad idea , but blitzing him is not nearly as effective as you claim.

The pats do run the ball. If you look at the total pass play's to run plays this year , they are very balanced. You are incorrect about the amount of times they run the ball vs pass the ball. Look it up. The pats passings is very prolific , it overshadows the run game.The pats do line up and dare you to stop them , but again the running game has been pretty balanced all year. The numbers are pretty close. Maroney has over 400 yards rushing from the los in the last four games. What are the giants lb's going to do about Welker, Gaffney and Watson in that formation you talked about with Faulk and Maroney? Maroney has proven to be deadly on screen plays also.

The pats offensive line has done a great job this year. However Brady was sacked more times then P Manning this season.

When the pats played the Giants there entire right side of the offensive line was out, and also K Brady who is a huge piece in run blocking. The protection will be better in the sb. During the giants game the pats played pretty straight forward coverages and also vanilla defensive packages as a whole. Rested some guys etc. Things will be more exotic in the sb.

What exactly did the Giants expose? That they could have 38 points hung on them while the entire right side of the offensive line was out? If the pats score 38 again the giants wont win. The pats d is one fire right now. Just as quick as you can claim balt and co exposed the pats I can talk about how the pats did not play well and all those games where in bad weather. Fact is nothing was exposed , those teams had great games, and the pats still won. No team is going to get up for every game , and sometimes teams rise up and play well. The Redskins had the d that everyone was saying would expose the pats when they played them. Fast, athletic, hard hitting. Final score 52 - 7.

Not taking anything away from the g men. They are a great team and the pats will have there hands full. The giants could win this game. I know this. I picked them to beat the packers. But most of your post is not factual.

Question for you Body88,

Why didn't the Pats line up Randy as a flanker or slot?  And why did they wait until the 4th quarter to run a screen?

Any thoughts on that?

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2008, 04:58:11 PM »

The san d D rush is just as good as the giants at this point. Tom Brady is the most blitzed qb in the NFL. His passer rating vs the blitz is 110. Best in the NFL. Your assumption that blitzing Brady makes him venerable is wrong. Giving Brady time is a bad idea , but blitzing him is not nearly as effective as you claim.

The pats do run the ball. If you look at the total pass play's to run plays this year , they are very balanced. You are incorrect about the amount of times they run the ball vs pass the ball. Look it up. The pats passings is very prolific , it overshadows the run game.The pats do line up and dare you to stop them , but again the running game has been pretty balanced all year. The numbers are pretty close. Maroney has over 400 yards rushing from the los in the last four games. What are the giants lb's going to do about Welker, Gaffney and Watson in that formation you talked about with Faulk and Maroney? Maroney has proven to be deadly on screen plays also.

The pats offensive line has done a great job this year. However Brady was sacked more times then P Manning this season.

When the pats played the Giants there entire right side of the offensive line was out, and also K Brady who is a huge piece in run blocking. The protection will be better in the sb. During the giants game the pats played pretty straight forward coverages and also vanilla defensive packages as a whole. Rested some guys etc. Things will be more exotic in the sb.

What exactly did the Giants expose? That they could have 38 points hung on them? The entire right side of the pats offensive line was out? If the pats score 38 again the giants wont win. The pats d has been pretty stingy in the playoffs. The pats d is one fire right now. Just as quick as you can claim balt and co exposed the pats I can talk about how the pats did not play well and all those games where in bad weather. Fact is nothing was exposed , those teams had great games, and the pats still won. No team is going to get up for every game , and sometimes teams rise up and play well. The Redskins had the d that everyone was saying would expose the pats when they played them. Fast, athletic, hard hitting. Final score 52 - 7.

Not taking anything away from the g men. They are a great team and the pats will have there hands full. The giants could win this game. I know this. I picked them to beat the packers. But most of your post is kinda out there when talking about some things the pats do.

thank you for making a sound, logical debate of this. good post.

NE does run the ball, and do it well when the chose to, as maroney has put up 100+ yards in the past 4 games. however, against a good pass rush and a team that has shown they can stuff the run on teams who can pick up yardage on the ground (i.e grant this week) maroney and the run can be limited. if you watched the colts/pats in week when they brought alot of pressure off the corners in brady's first series and they went 3 and out, they adjusted and then used maroney mostly as pass protection, the odd draw or the dump off out of the back field.

this is what the giants will have to do. they can't let brady sit in the pocket. the bulk of NE's big yardage has come on broken covergage by NE recievers when brady is allowed to drop 7. give a pro bowl quarter back that much time in the pocket, and that group of recievers that kind of time to break covergage, you'll lose yardage and alot of it in chunks. you have to get at brady, make the yardage you give up managable. force him to 3 steps and the slant to welker, or yardage out of the back field. look what happened when jacksonville only brought 4- they didnt stand a chance.

b

body88

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2008, 05:17:56 PM »
thank you for making a sound, logical debate of this. good post.

NE does run the ball, and do it well when the chose to, as maroney has put up 100+ yards in the past 4 games. however, against a good pass rush and a team that has shown they can stuff the run on teams who can pick up yardage on the ground (i.e grant this week) maroney and the run can be limited. if you watched the colts/pats in week when they brought alot of pressure off the corners in brady's first series and they went 3 and out, they adjusted and then used maroney mostly as pass protection, the odd draw or the dump off out of the back field.

this is what the giants will have to do. they can't let brady sit in the pocket. the bulk of NE's big yardage has come on broken covergage by NE recievers when brady is allowed to drop 7. give a pro bowl quarter back that much time in the pocket, and that group of recievers that kind of time to break covergage, you'll lose yardage and alot of it in chunks. you have to get at brady, make the yardage you give up managable. force him to 3 steps and the slant to welker, or yardage out of the back field. look what happened when jacksonville only brought 4- they didnt stand a chance.

No problem bro I always enjoy a good debate. I see your points and they are all sound. First off let me say I honestly think the giants can win this ball game. I am not one of those NE fans who thinks we are unbeatable. Imo the pats will win this ball game , and heres why.

Your points. I think you make a good point about the pass rush. If you have noticed Maroney is a cut back runner. He has power , but he runs best bouncing to the outside or cutting back as the line pulls. I agree with you 100 percent when you have pass rushers like the giants do, if the line is not holding there blocks , Maroney can and he been limited.The only counter I have to this point is the absence of Stephen Neal and Nick Kaszur the last time they play. As you know Kyle Brady was also missing. When he is on the field he is like a extra o linemen. That said there is not way the pats line will hold of that rush for the whole game. Just to good. I am pretty impressed with Strahan's ability to bull rush and also speed rush the QB. I think the pats having there starters playing on the ride side will be a bit better this time around. One interesting note I saw with the pats over the last two games is the power running formation's and extra te's they are using to pound the ball. A wrinkle I think they held back on until now. I don't really have any beef with anything you said. You make some excellent points. I can only offer my opinion on the difference this time. I don't think a dump off game to faulk and Maroney would be a bad thing. The pats used to be the screen pass kings. Maroney and Faulk are playmakers who can take one to the house at any time. Imo the giants did a great job vs the gb screen game so I am not so confident as I type this.

I think your game plan is a good one. The only flaw I see in that logic is Ben Watson up the seams. If The g men are going to rush the passer like crazy , and they are wiling to allow things underneath, I think its only a matter of time until the safety's bite on a playaction pass and or screen and the deep ball comes out. Imo its a pick your poisen type deal. Stop the deep ball and deal with Welker , Gaff , and Watson in the seams and up the middle. Stop those guys and deal with Moss and Stallworth long. Then there is the running game. I think the pats in the end have a little to much for the G men to handle and lose this one by 10 points. Now this is just my opinion of course. Not taking a thing away from the g men , they have been playing grade A ball. On the defensive side of the ball , when the pats started applying pressure to Eli in the second half that is when they started to gain control on the line. It remains to be seen how Eli will handle the exotic stuff. As of right now he looks like he will handle it well.

I think the G men have a damn good offensive unit right now. I am worried about Plex on Hobbs. Eli is playing lights out right now. The g men have a killer rush. I am also worried about the giants running game. Christ , you guys have so many good backs its scary. Can the pats aging lb's hold jacobs to respectable numbers? Im not so sure. Can hobbs cover Plex? Im not so sure. Toomer is a beast to boot. Should be a great game.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 06:33:56 PM »
Good debate...for some reason the Pats do not ever ever move their best corner to cover the best receiver, unless he's already on that side. Maybe with 2 weeks they might change that. No matter how good Hobbs is..he's  smurf next to plexiglass. Toomer drops balls at the worst time. I think they will try and rattle Eli early..kind like the Peyton blue print...get him to make mistakes early..wack him etc and then the wheels will come off the wagon. They also have a banged up secondary, which may allow Moss to get in the grove. No way its 14 points...
L

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 08:06:08 PM »
No problem bro I always enjoy a good debate. I see your points and they are all sound. First off let me say I honestly think the giants can win this ball game. I am not one of those NE fans who thinks we are unbeatable. Imo the pats will win this ball game , and heres why.

Your points. I think you make a good point about the pass rush. If you have noticed Maroney is a cut back runner. He has power , but he runs best bouncing to the outside or cutting back as the line pulls. I agree with you 100 percent when you have pass rushers like the giants do, if the line is not holding there blocks , Maroney can and he been limited.The only counter I have to this point is the absence of Stephen Neal and Nick Kaszur the last time they play. As you know Kyle Brady was also missing. When he is on the field he is like a extra o linemen. That said there is not way the pats line will hold of that rush for the whole game. Just to good. I am pretty impressed with Strahan's ability to bull rush and also speed rush the QB. I think the pats having there starters playing on the ride side will be a bit better this time around. One interesting note I saw with the pats over the last two games is the power running formation's and extra te's they are using to pound the ball. A wrinkle I think they held back on until now. I don't really have any beef with anything you said. You make some excellent points. I can only offer my opinion on the difference this time. I don't think a dump off game to faulk and Maroney would be a bad thing. The pats used to be the screen pass kings. Maroney and Faulk are playmakers who can take one to the house at any time. Imo the giants did a great job vs the gb screen game so I am not so confident as I type this.

I think your game plan is a good one. The only flaw I see in that logic is Ben Watson up the seams. If The g men are going to rush the passer like crazy , and they are wiling to allow things underneath, I think its only a matter of time until the safety's bite on a playaction pass and or screen and the deep ball comes out. Imo its a pick your poisen type deal. Stop the deep ball and deal with Welker , Gaff , and Watson in the seams and up the middle. Stop those guys and deal with Moss and Stallworth long. Then there is the running game. I think the pats in the end have a little to much for the G men to handle and lose this one by 10 points. Now this is just my opinion of course. Not taking a thing away from the g men , they have been playing grade A ball. On the defensive side of the ball , when the pats started applying pressure to Eli in the second half that is when they started to gain control on the line. It remains to be seen how Eli will handle the exotic stuff. As of right now he looks like he will handle it well.

I think the G men have a damn good offensive unit right now. I am worried about Plex on Hobbs. Eli is playing lights out right now. The g men have a killer rush. I am also worried about the giants running game. Christ , you guys have so many good backs its scary. Can the pats aging lb's hold jacobs to respectable numbers? Im not so sure. Can hobbs cover Plex? Im not so sure. Toomer is a beast to boot. Should be a great game.

it's funny. as you may be able to tell, i'm a giants fan, but i don't think we can beat NE- they just have too many weapons offensively. no one talks about their defense though, and when they do it is usually to focus on seau's age and i have been gald to see him step up and prove the nay sayers wrong. as good as they are on offensive, they are defensively complete.

i have been saying since week 4 this was the best team i think i had ever seen and layed a sizable bet with a friend at that time they'd go undefeated and win the SB.

the think that struck me most in your post as the absolute truth is that the giants have to be very careful not to bite on PA and give up the deep ball. if the giants get blown out, it will be by the deep ball, thats why it is so important for them to only give up managable yardage. i am surprised what alot of people that have thought was a weak secondary have stepped up and played very well. the challenge the secondary will face next week is too not give up yardage in the form of penalties.

i like the way the recievers matchup against NE. i also like the way the giants are balancing thier attack- they have been moving the ball well on the ground and giving manning a comfort zone of not having to put the ball up in order to come from behind. offensively the two most important unknowns for me will be if manning can handle the pressure of his first SB, and if toomer can pick up the ball. this team lead the league in dropped passes but in the last 4 games they have been catching the ball and manning has been making good decisions. this has to continue, but toomer needs to step up. i also like the way the giants o-ilne stack up against new englands d-line. that will be a great battle as well.

in all the giants need to be very stout defensively. this is where they will win or lose the game. they are going to have to roll the dice at times and bring pressure and hope they can get to brady before he can expose the secondary for big yardage. they are going to have to convert 7 instead of 3 in the red zone. they have to do so much to win this game, but sadly for me, all NE  has to do is keep playing he way they have all year.

in my eyes, this is NE's game to lose, but i think if the spread does stay at 12.5 the giants will cover.
b

body88

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
it's funny. as you may be able to tell, i'm a giants fan, but i don't think we can beat NE- they just have too many weapons offensively. no one talks about their defense though, and when they do it is usually to focus on seau's age and i have been gald to see him step up and prove the nay sayers wrong. as good as they are on offensive, they are defensively complete.

i have been saying since week 4 this was the best team i think i had ever seen and layed a sizable bet with a friend at that time they'd go undefeated and win the SB.

the think that struck me most in your post as the absolute truth is that the giants have to be very careful not to bite on PA and give up the deep ball. if the giants get blown out, it will be by the deep ball, thats why it is so important for them to only give up managable yardage. i am surprised what alot of people that have thought was a weak secondary have stepped up and played very well. the challenge the secondary will face next week is too not give up yardage in the form of penalties.

i like the way the recievers matchup against NE. i also like the way the giants are balancing thier attack- they have been moving the ball well on the ground and giving manning a comfort zone of not having to put the ball up in order to come from behind. offensively the two most important unknowns for me will be if manning can handle the pressure of his first SB, and if toomer can pick up the ball. this team lead the league in dropped passes but in the last 4 games they have been catching the ball and manning has been making good decisions. this has to continue, but toomer needs to step up. i also like the way the giants o-ilne stack up against new englands d-line. that will be a great battle as well.

in all the giants need to be very stout defensively. this is where they will win or lose the game. they are going to have to roll the dice at times and bring pressure and hope they can get to brady before he can expose the secondary for big yardage. they are going to have to convert 7 instead of 3 in the red zone. they have to do so much to win this game, but sadly for me, all NE  has to do is keep playing he way they have all year.

in my eyes, this is NE's game to lose, but i think if the spread does stay at 12.5 the giants will cover.

Good post. Solid and informative. Seems like you put a lot of thought into it. Nice work.

I dont think the pats cover either. They win imo , but dont cover. That said the g men can win this game. I would not be shocked if they did. They are on fire. What they did in GB was impressive!

Thanks for the debate. Great work on your posts..

I wish you the best of luck! Well not to much ; )

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »
Good post. Solid and informative. Seems like you put a lot of thought into it. Nice work.

I dont think the pats cover either. They win imo , but dont cover. That said the g men can win this game. I would not be shocked if they did. They are on fire. What they did in GB was impressive!

Thanks for the debate. Great work on your posts..

I wish you the best of luck! Well not to much ; )

good talking with you as well- the feeling is mutual.

trust me, if it were any team but the giants (or green bay- you just can't help but like and respect favre) i'd be rooting for the pats. they are by far the best team i have had the pleasure of watching play in 20+ years of watching football. if the giants are to lose on sunday, i couldn't think of better team to lose to. the pats, both players and fans represent themselves very well.

good luck to you guys on sunday as well.

i look forward to coming back to this thread and congratulating you on a great season and a game well played.

b

Spoony Luv

• Getbig IV
  • FROM UP ABOVE!!!
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2008, 11:20:21 PM »
I see this game close for the first half and then the pats open it up and don't look back...Brady is coming off a terrible game...Rarely does he have two in a row...The giants are going to have to play even better then they did in week 15 to have a chance...Is it possible...For sure...But i believe that the pats will cover and will cover big...

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2008, 05:52:01 AM »
Fortunately for the Giants Favre showed his true colors in the second half. Fortunately for the Giants Romo showed his true colors in the second half.I don't think beating Dallas and GB is indicative of how good the Giants are. Those teams imploded and helped the Giants get by.The Pats will not implode .Brady will show everyone how it's done in the second half,just like he always does.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2008, 05:58:20 AM »
Fortunately for the Giants Favre showed his true colors in the second half. Fortunately for the Giants Romo showed his true colors in the second half.I don't think beating Dallas and GB is indicative of how good the Giants are. Those teams imploded and helped the Giants get by.The Pats will not implode .Brady will show everyone how it's done in the second half,just like he always does.

yes medz you are right imo to a point...but the way the giants played the pats and the way they beat the bucs  cowboys and the packers its not about how good or bad the other team was it is that you did what you needed to win...which the pats have always been trademarked for...so i think the giants are playing very well but the pats are still the best and brady will run that offense and accomplish whatever he needs to obtain the victory...

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2008, 08:18:52 AM »
Pats are definitely a great team but I think they can be beaten.
I'm not gonna quote everybody here but calling Plexico a name like Plexiglass just showed you haven't paid attention this year.he played the whole year with a torn ligament in his ankle.he also dominated a pro bowl corner in Al Harris in the GB game{don't forget Harris is suppose to be one of the most physical corners in the league}.
Romo and Favre reverting to there old selves.lets not forget Favre is a soon to be HOF QB.Romo made the pro-bowl the last 2 years.the Giants D had alot to do with their mistakes.they pounded the snot outta Romo and he started making bad throws.against GB they made the offense 1 dimensional by taking away the running game.
as for the dropped passes-I can't argue that :'( way to many dropped balls.Toomer,Plex,Smith,and Boss all dropped passes against GB.

That being said{meltdown :D}
I think the Giants will be able to score against the Pats.the question is will they be able to score enough :-\ the Giants are gonna hafta get some breaks along the way,some turnovers,sacks,picks and some straight up defensive stops!
and lets not forget special teams.the Giants have been getting some great plays from there.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »
One of the things I think is going to work against NY is they are playing in a controlled environment. The weather isn't going to be 14 degrees with 20 mph wind, so it will be easier to spread the ball around and now with Maroney playing well the play action will be that much more effective. The 14 point spread is ridiculous IMO, this is going to be a much closer game.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2008, 04:56:18 PM »
One of the things I think is going to work against NY is they are playing in a controlled environment. The weather isn't going to be 14 degrees with 20 mph wind, so it will be easier to spread the ball around and now with Maroney playing well the play action will be that much more effective. The 14 point spread is ridiculous IMO, this is going to be a much closer game.

good point.

i agree with the weather being a large factor in what outcome the game will have, but whom will benefit from it the most? well, i guess that depends on how you look at it. as a whole i totally agree with you.

the weather will definitely benefit brady's passing game, however a dry turf field isn't exactly going to hurt the giants pass rush.

in an inclement weather game i'm inclined to give the edge to the recievers over the secondary. however i think the weather will actually benefit the NE secondary more than the giants recievers eventhough the giants recievers match up well against the NE corners physically.

as a giants fan, i would have prefered an inclement weather game. with the weather being what it is i see this game going to the air for NE- i think they'll utilise the ground game to force the giants to keep 8 in the box, allowing any one of several NE weapons somewhat more open field. the weather will not affect the way the giants offense will look that much, from what we've seen from weeks past. they are a team that uses the run to keep pressure off of manning so he can relax and continue to make good decisions with the ball instead of forcing him to go to the air. they'll continue to pound the ball on the ground and try to manage the clock and keep brady off the field, so the weather wont change the way the giants will approach the game that much.
b

no one

• Getbig V
b

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »
LEts Go big blue!!!
L

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
I see the first half of the Super being good close game but in the second  the Pats will pull away.The advantages of having this years Super Bowl being in stadium with a roof on it you dont have to worry  about the weather which makes it ideal for a good passing game for Brady and Eli Manning.Go the mighty Pats.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2008, 07:35:41 AM »
Spoiler Alert: Okay, maybe not. There's a screen capture from Will Smith's latest blockbuster, "I am Legend," floating around the internet that shows a headline on a crawl from a fictional newscast that reads, "Giants lose to Patriots for second time this season 23 to 7."

Just throwing it out there.... ;D
L

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »
The Giants dont have a chance against the Pats. The Pats are going to walk all over the Giants in the Super Bowl.

I hope you didn't bet money on that.  :o

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2008, 11:26:21 AM »
Awesome thread
L