Author Topic: Donnie Thompson shatters the all-time powerlifting total!  (Read 12904 times)

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Donnie Thompson shatters the all-time powerlifting total!
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:22 AM »
They need to use a squat bar like the A.P.F uses.There is zero reason to make a guy like Siders squeeeze under a smaller bar.Give the big guys a chance to squat without killing their delts.It doesnt give any advantage other then being more comfortable to get under and no bar whip.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
What's the point of these massive totals if they're all assisted by lifting suits/shirts that add 200-300lbs?  The raw total is impressive on it's own.   I'd rather know what the man can do, not the man + lifting suit/shirt.   

Someone give me a brief explanation so I can understand the point.

Bodvar

• Getbig II
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »
What's the point of these massive totals if they're all assisted by lifting suits/shirts that add 200-300lbs?  The raw total is impressive on it's own.   I'd rather know what the man can do, not the man + lifting suit/shirt.   

Someone give me a brief explanation so I can understand the point.

Because equipment extends your lifting career and prevents a lot of injury.

If you lift heavy ass hell raw all the time your body will break down sooner or later. Powerlifting equipment has brought people back in the game that had retired from powerlifting due to injuries.

Not only that but equipment adds another level of skill to the sport. Equipment is difficult to master, and it's fun to use (at least I think so).

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with raw lifting, lots of top guys have either done it or are interested in it. But, equipped powerlifting is here to stay.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »
Because equipment extends your lifting career and prevents a lot of injury.

If you lift heavy ass hell raw all the time your body will break down sooner or later. Powerlifting equipment has brought people back in the game that had retired from powerlifting due to injuries.

Not only that but equipment adds another level of skill to the sport. Equipment is difficult to master, and it's fun to use (at least I think so).

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with raw lifting, lots of top guys have either done it or are interested in it. But, equipped powerlifting is here to stay.

Then why not subtract an amount for each piece of equipment used so the lift total remaining is the actual competitor's total?   I know, how are they gonna accurately calculate the added valued of each piece of equipment when each person that wears the equipment is unique or each piece of equipment is unique.  What if a competitor uses brand A and another brand B?  Eh, it's the same arguement with bb chemicals....ban the chemicals or ban the pl equipment and you're left with something that just doesn't sparkle as much and interest fades.

Bodvar

• Getbig II
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »
Then why not subtract an amount for each piece of equipment used so the lift total remaining is the actual competitor's total?   I know, how are they gonna accurately calculate the added valued of each piece of equipment when each person that wears the equipment is unique or each piece of equipment is unique.  What if a competitor uses brand A and another brand B?  Eh, it's the same arguement with bb chemicals....ban the chemicals or ban the pl equipment and you're left with something that just doesn't sparkle as much and interest fades.

Because some people are more skilled at using equipment than others.

It's true that most people would rather see a 1200 pound equipped squat, than a 800 pound raw squat. They are both amazing feats of strength, but the 1200 pound squat is much more dramatic.

It's the same thing with bodybuilding, I'd much rather see a 300lb pharmaceutical freak of nature like Ruhl, than a 200lb Zane.

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2008, 11:25:20 AM »
Damn a 900 lb bench is bad ass

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »
Because some people are more skilled at using equipment than others.

It's true that most people would rather see a 1200 pound equipped squat, than a 800 pound raw squat. They are both amazing feats of strength, but the 1200 pound squat is much more dramatic.

It's the same thing with bodybuilding, I'd much rather see a 300lb pharmaceutical freak of nature like Ruhl, than a 200lb Zane.

I agree with the bb part, but kinda disagree on the pl part.....just an opinion, but I'd rather see what the man can do alone.   Now, I'm all for the safety aspect, but if the equipment fails during the mid-lift.....eh, this discussion could go on and on.....

Bodvar

• Getbig II
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2008, 11:46:28 AM »
I agree with the bb part, but kinda disagree on the pl part.....just an opinion, but I'd rather see what the man can do alone.   Now, I'm all for the safety aspect, but if the equipment fails during the mid-lift.....eh, this discussion could go on and on.....

Yup, the powerlifting equipment debate is pointless, nobody is going to change their minds.

But go to a RAW meet and then an equipped meet and compare the number of spectators and competitors, the numbers speak for themselves.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »
Its almost impossible to compare single ply guys to raw guys to multiply guys.If I had a vote,Id probably pick Siders as the strongest powerlifter right now.Just for the way he totally dominates weights.If he was allowed to use a real squat bar,he'd squat well over 1000lbs in single ply.He also just pulled 850+ and had a smile on his face at the top.

Donnie is awesome.If you've ever seen him pull,its unreal.He is so large that he cant get his hands wrapped around the bar[flexibility]so he holds onto it with his finger tips and still normally pulls in the 830-840 range.

So,I give the nod to Siders,but there is no way in the world,Cardella is even close to Donnie.Thats just silly.

I don't recall asking for your opinion, numbnuts.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2008, 10:54:19 PM »
I don't recall asking for your opinion, numbnuts.

LOL.
As empty as paradise

dogbowl

• Getbig IV
  • Team anyone except heath
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »
who's the fat guy in that squatting clip?

and does it count as raw if you wear a belt?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »
who's the fat guy in that squatting clip?

and does it count as raw if you wear a belt?

That's Donnie Thompson.

And yes, it's raw when you lift with a belt.
As empty as paradise

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2008, 04:05:58 AM »
Well little man PANDAMONIUM,why don't you do something about it.Since you know so many big time lifters,why don't you send one up my way and see if they can fight your battle for you,since that yellow streak running down the center of your back wont allow you to.You know,I'm not hard to find.Oh,thats right,your such a pussy you cant even post with your real name,what a girl.Typical internet a-hole,big talk no action.Now,hurry up to the kitchen,I think your mommy has some milk and cookies for you on the table.

By the way,this was a thread about strength.Leave the strength talk to those that are strong.You post about things you know,like swallowing loads and ball licking.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2008, 06:49:19 AM »
if it's not olympic style squats then it is not impressive to me..slightly breaking parallel shouldn't count
Here comes the money shot

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2008, 07:41:30 AM »
Then put in new rules.The rule says break and thats it.Frankly,I find olympic lifting to be a HUGE bore,as do most Americans,which explains why almost no one does it or is interested in it.One thing I find funny is that guys will shread powerlifters on here for depth and then praise the bodybuilding squat vids.Are you kidding me?If I have to read one more bodybuilder talk about dropping it in the bucket, only to see him 6 inches high,I think I will puke.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »
Well little man PANDAMONIUM,why don't you do something about it.Since you know so many big time lifters,why don't you send one up my way and see if they can fight your battle for you,since that yellow streak running down the center of your back wont allow you to.You know,I'm not hard to find.Oh,thats right,your such a pussy you cant even post with your real name,what a ####.Typical internet a-hole,big talk no action.Now,hurry up to the kitchen,I think your mommy has some milk and cookies for you on the table.

By the way,this was a thread about strength.Leave the strength talk to those that are strong.You post about things you know,like swallowing loads and ball licking.
Panda is far from little Billy.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »
But he must be a gutless coward,because ANYONE that gets on the internet,and uses a fake name to insult people is spineless.I find it to be one of the most cowardly acts I can think of.Post with a fake name and rip on someone.You dont even allow your "victim" the fair chance of knowing who you are.If people were made to post with real names you would see a lot less insults because then everyone would know you might run into the guy you insulted  and he would know who you are.