Author Topic: Didn't Name the Party Affiliation, So He Must be a Democrat! (Mayor Convicted)  (Read 10259 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Didn't Name the Party Affiliation, So He Must be a Democrat!
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2008, 12:32:34 PM »
Speaking of subpoenas . . . .

Council unanimously orders Kilpatrick, Beatty to appear
By ZACHARY GORCHOW • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • March 12, 2008

The Detroit City Council unanimously voted today to order Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, former chief of staff Christine Beatty and several top city officials to appear before the council later this month.

If the people requested refuse requests to appear, the council will use its subpoena power to force their presence.

Besides Kilpatrick and Beatty, the resolution also orders the following people to appear before the council: John Johnson Jr., the city’s corporation counsel; Sharon McPhail, Kilpatrick's general counsel; Valerie Colbert-Osamuede, a city attorney; Samuel McCargo, Kilpatrick’s attorney during last summer's whistle-blower trial; Wilson Copeland and William Mitchell, also attorneys who have served Kilpatrick; and Michael Stefani, the attorney who represented three former police officers in the whistle-blower case.

The individuals are to appear before the council on March 26 or 27.

The council further ordered these people as well as the Detroit Free Press and the Detroit News and the newspapers’ attorneys to produce all notes referencing the whistle-blower case settlement, all documents regarding action after the whistle-blower trial, all briefs and trial exhibits from the trial and all e-mail correspondence relating to the settlement of the whistle-blower case.

The council also voteed to authorize the subpoena of these materials if they are not produced.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080312/NEWS01/80312044/1001/news

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2008, 01:10:13 PM »
LOL @ beach Bum attacking the person he's arguing with, instead of the issue.

Very weak debate tactic employed there, BB.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 09:02:11 AM »
Someone give this guy Spitzer's phone number . . . .

Cox says Kilpatrick 'not fit to be mayor'
54% of residents want him to step down, survey says
BY BILL McGRAW, M.L. ELRICK and BEN SCHMITT • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS • March 13, 2008

As state Attorney General Mike Cox became the highest-ranking public official to call for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to resign, the mayor also faced an ominous erosion of support Wednesday from local VIPs and regular Detroiters.

Criticism of varying degrees also came from Detroit's influential Baptist pastors; three business leaders; rarely outspoken anchorwoman Carmen Harlan; the black-owned Michigan Chronicle and, in a poll, everyday residents.

The developments follow Tuesday night's State of the City speech. The normally prosaic address became the talk of the town after Kilpatrick closed it by blistering the news media, critics and City Council President Ken Cockrel Jr., while using racially charged language to describe death threats and racial slurs he said have been directed at him and his family.

"He is not fit to be mayor anymore," said Cox, a Republican. "He should resign."

Cox noted Kilpatrick got involved with an employee, Christine Beatty, lied under oath and got Beatty to lie under oath. He said the last straw was the mayor's race-baiting Tuesday night. "I can't pretend to hide my head in the sand when his problem is becoming a regional problem," he said.

Critics over the past four years have called Cox a Kilpatrick apologist because the attorney general led an investigation of a long-rumored and never-proven Manoogian mansion party and concluded it had all the elements of an "urban legend."

Some State Police officials criticized Cox for ending the investigation too soon and for failing to interview the mayor's wife, Carlita Kilpatrick. Cox and Kilpatrick both have strong ties to Mike Duggan, the former Wayne County prosecutor.

Mayoral spokesman James Canning said, "Mayor Kilpatrick confirmed in his State of the City address, he will stay in office, he will stay focused on city business and he will continue to lead our city forward."

It also was revealed Wednesday that hours before Kilpatrick's speech on Tuesday, the Council of Baptist Pastors of Detroit and Vicinity was poised to call for the mayor's resignation.

In a letter obtained by the Free Press, the council's executive board wrote, "The issues which comprise the current crisis will not go away during this administration's tenure."

The letter said the city's leadership "failed to conduct city business affairs with transparency and moral integrity;" had "abused the office of mayor of the City of Detroit in ways that directly harm the well being of the citizens of our city," and that "the violation of the public trust by the current administration is deplorable and cannot be supported or endured."

The letter concluded that the council "states unequivocally the position of 'no confidence' in the current administration and its leadership."

But the letter, signed by Baptist council President Oscar King III, was not made public after Claude Cline, a member of the council who works for Kilpatrick, objected and the council's general assembly took a vote. By a 34-24 margin, the letter was not released.

On Wednesday, the group's lawyer, Bertram Marks, said King believes that he needs more information before he can make a statement that he can support with facts."

Cline said Kilpatrick is set to meet with the pastors Tuesday.

The council, which represents 400 clergy members, endorsed Kilpatrick's policies in his 2005 re-election bid.

Wednesday morning, in a previously arranged meeting, three of the city's best-known corporate leaders -- industrialist Dave Bing; Doug Rothwell, president of Detroit Renaissance, and Jim Nicholson, chief executive officer of PVS Chemicals -- came to see the mayor. Bing told Kilpatrick he was losing credibility and also chastised him for the way he concluded his speech.

One of the most surprising reactions to the mayor's speech came from longtime WDIV-TV (Channel 4) anchorwoman Harlan, who delivered a rare commentary Tuesday night after the mayor's speech. Directly addressing him, she scolded the mayor for the language he employed at the end of his speech.

"Using emotionally charged words like 'the N-word' and phrases like 'hate-driven' and 'bigoted assault,' even 'lynch-mob mentality,' stirs the core of even my emotions," said Harlan, who assured the mayor she loves Detroit as much as him.

Throughout the mayoral scandal, the Michigan Chronicle weekly newspaper has argued to let the judicial process take its course, but the edition that hit the street Wednesday took a more critical tone.

"We are witnessing the administration paying dearly for its severe mistakes," Senior Editor Bankole Thompson wrote. "Who are the mayor's advisers? How much are they getting paid? What advice have they been giving the mayor? Are they really advising him or mostly lining their pockets?"

Kilpatrick also drew criticism for using the N-word in his Tuesday speech after taking part in a rally last summer to symbolically bury the racial epithet. Kilpatrick, who reportedly planned the final moments of his Tuesday speech in advance, invoked the word as he described slurs he said he and his family have received.

"It most especially was not a place to use the same word that, supposedly, we buried last summer," the Rev. Edgar Vann, pastor of Second Ebenezer Baptist Church, told the Associated Press. "You can make references to it without using it."

Vann said he believed "people are tired of race being used as a tactic."

Eleanor Josaitis, cofounder of Focus:HOPE, told the AP she worried Kilpatrick's choice of words would further polarize the region.

"We've all worked very hard to bury the N-word," she said. "People are disappointed -- just disappointed in everything right now. Everybody is just praying we bring it to an end."

Canning, Kilpatrick's spokesman, told the Free Press that "the mayor used that word in describing what has been said to him in e-mails, letters and phone calls. That's how he used the word. It's a horrible word, no one denied that."

The poll of everyday Detroiters, conducted for a Lansing marketing and political consulting firm, showed an increase in Detroit residents who want Kilpatrick to resign.

Of the 300 Detroiters surveyed Monday and Tuesday, 54% said Kilpatrick should leave, while 34% said he should stay, and 12% were unsure what he should do. The poll had a margin of error of 5.8 percentage points.

In January, a week after the Free Press broke the text-messaging scandal, 45% of people surveyed said he should resign; 42% said he should stay.

The messages showed that Kilpatrick and his then-chief of staff, Christine Beatty, lied under oath about their relationship and gave misleading testimony about the firing of then-deputy police chief Gary Brown during a civil trial last summer.

"He has done nothing to improve his numbers in the past two months," said Kelly Rossman-McKinney, chief executive officer of the Rossman Group, which commissioned the poll.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080313/NEWS01/803130379/1007/NEWS05

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
Sex Scandal and Possible Perjury Charges Aren't Slowing Down Detroit Mayor ... Yet
Thursday, March 13, 2008

DETROIT —  Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick continues meeting with Detroit business leaders about his plans to move the city forward despite a text-messaging sex scandal and possible perjury charges that could remove him from office.

A day after meeting with three of the city's most prominent businessmen, Kilpatrick spoke Thursday morning to others at the Detroit Athletic Club.

The 15-minute speech reiterated portions of Tuesday's State of the City address in which Kilpatrick outlined his vision for improving Detroit neighborhoods, police protection, job training and finding employment for residents, mayoral spokeswoman Denise Tolliver said.

But a prosecutor's investigation into whether Kilpatrick will be charged with perjury for testimony during a whistle-blowers' trial and the furor over an agreement settling that lawsuit for $8.4 million has dogged his administration for nearly two months.

Racially charged statements Kilpatrick made during his State of the City also may have muddied the city's business waters.

Jason Vines, a senior vice president at Compuware Corp., says chief executive Peter Karmanos does not want the issue to stop Detroit's momentum.

RelatedVideo
Detroit Mayor in Hot Water "We support whomever is sitting in that mayoral chair if that person is moving the city forward," Vines said. "With this distraction and embarrassment for our city, you wonder if it could stop the momentum."

Karmanos attended Tuesday's address as he does for every State of the City, Vines added.

But there now is a "collective saddening" surrounding the current controversy, he said.

"There is no good outcome," he said. "We've made great progress, and much of that you can put in the win column for Mayor Kilpatrick."

Tolliver confirmed that Kilpatrick met Wednesday with Dave Bing, Doug Rothwell and James Nicholson. Bing is chair of the Bing Group. Rothwell is president of Detroit Renaissance, and Nicholson is president and chief executive of PVS Chemicals, Inc.

They discussed policy and development in the city, Tolliver said.

She denied published reports that Kilpatrick was criticized at that meeting for emotional, off-the-script remarks made near the end of Tuesday's address that included use of the "n-word" in describing calls and e-mails he has received since the text-messaging scandal first was reported.

Kilpatrick and former Chief of Staff Christine Beatty denied under oath in last summer's whistle-blowers' trial that they had a romantic relationship in 2002 and 2003. But excerpts of sexually explicit text messages left on Beatty's city-issued pager contradict their testimony.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy launched her investigation after the Detroit Free Press reported those text messages in January. Worthy said earlier this week that she expects to have a decision the week of March 24 on whether to charge both with perjury.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,337730,00.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2008, 09:04:02 AM »
Kilpatrick vows to stay put after City Council asks for resignation
BY ZACHARY GORCHOW • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • March 18, 2008

The Detroit City Council has just voted to call for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s resignation, an extraordinary rebuke as Kilpatrick seeks to survive the text-message scandal.

The vote was 7-1. Voting yes were Council President Ken Cockrel Jr., Sheila Cockrel, Barbara-Rose Collins, Brenda Jones, Kwame Kenyatta, Alberta Tinsley-Talabi and JoAnn Watson. Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers voted no. Martha Reeves was absent.

The resolution is nonbinding, and Kilpatrick has dismissed it as irrelevant and vowed not to resign. A last-minute change to the resolution struck language calling for the council’s independent attorney, Bill Goodman to “explore the proceedings by which the mayor may be removed from office” if Kilpatrick stands by his promise to stay in office.

Kenyatta, the resolution’s sponsor, said he agreed to that change to satisfy other council members’ requests.

The resolution cites 33 reasons for Kilpatrick to quit, including failing to inform the council of a secret deal the mayor made to settle a whistleblower lawsuit and an accusation that he “repeatedly obfuscates the truth.” It also claims his administration has failed to govern effectively, noting widespread street light outages and mandatory audits getting turned in late.

It also says, “there is an overwhelming and growing sentiment amongst citizens of Detroit that the City Council should stand firm against Mayor Kilpatrick and seek his resignation.”

Kilpatrick downplayed the resolution this afternoon after a gathering at Wayne County Community College's east-side campus appearance.

"My reaction is, OK, now since it's over, it has no effect, it's not binding, let's get back to work," Kilpatrick told a pack of reporters. "I don't blame anybody on council. The incredible scrutiny and overwhelming pressure of the media - you all are something - it's probably tough for anybody there."

Kilpatirck said he "absolutely" can still work with the council.

"I don't think anybody in this city could have stood up to that scrutiny but me. No, I don't think it will affect us at all. I think we will keep moving forward."

He said he is awaiting Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy's decision on criminal charges like everyone else. But he appeared confident that he will be vindicated.

"There will be a time when all the truth will come out, and I think at the end of that everybody will be vindicating Kwame Kilpatrick, both legally and politically and everything else."

The mayor received more support in early public comment than he did two weeks ago.

Lorenzo Houston, 57, an east side resident, said Kilpatrick's track record in the city is outstanding, especially in helping the elderly.

“I’m not down on the suburbs, but they are not the City of Detroit, "he said. “I think the people that elected him should be the people to determine what happens with the mayor for the most part.”

But Valerie Burris, 48, who lives on the northwest side, said the council has every right to demand the mayor's resignation.

“The mayor has disgraced this city," she said. "He has lied to this council. I don’t want a mayor who lies to his people.”

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/NEWS01/80318008/1003

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2008, 09:38:16 AM »
Detroit mayor to face felony charges

DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) -- A Wayne County prosecutor said Monday she will seek felony charges against Detroit's embattled Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Kilpatrick, who is married, has been snarled in a well-publicized sex scandal since January after The Detroit Free Press reported he exchanged romantic text messages with his then-chief of staff, Christine Beatty.

The Detroit Free Press reported in January that in an analysis of nearly 14,000 text messages on Beatty's city-issued pager, it found some from 2002 and 2003 that indicated the two were having a romantic affair.

The newspaper report contradicted testimony Kilpatrick gave last August in a court case brought by police officers against the mayor and the city of Detroit alleging the mayor retaliated against the officers for their role in investigating his office. Critics alleged that Kilpatrick committed perjury in the case and called for his resignation.

In testimony during that case, Kilpatrick and Beatty both denied having a romantic relationship.

Prosecutor Kym Worthy said that "even children understand that lying is wrong. Witnesses must give truthful testimony."

Worthy said she will seek perjury, official misconduct and obstruction of justice charges. Watch a report about the messages »

Beatty resigned as Kilpatrick's chief of staff on January 28.

Kilpatrick offered an abject apology to his constituents January 30, but remained adamant he would not resign.

"I truly apologize to each and every one of you, individually and to the whole city," Kilpatrick said in a sometimes emotional televised statement.

Sitting next to his wife, Carlita, he also apologized to "my entire family, and specifically to the four people I love most in this world" -- his wife and his sons, 12-year-old twins Jelani and Jalil and 6-year-old Jonas.

"Over the past few days, there has been some speculation about who is in charge of the city," Kilpatrick said. "Make no mistake about it: Since 2002, I have been in charge of the city. There have been ups and downs. There have been hills and mountains and valleys, but through it all, I remain in charge of the city."

On speculation regarding a possible resignation, the mayor said, "Let me be clear: I would never quit on you. Ever. We've got a lot of work to do, and with your help, I'm going to continue to lead this city in getting the work done."

Kilpatrick was frank about the pain the allegations have caused his family. "I'm responsible for that," he said.

"For the first time in my life, I had to have a conversation with my 12-year-old twin sons about very grown-up things. It was, without a doubt, the hardest conversation that I've ever had in my entire life."

Regarding his wife, he said, "Our marriage has not been perfect, but it has been great. Now I've put her in a situation which many couples deal with in the privacy of their own homes. But in our case, it's on the front page of the newspaper."

Carlita Kilpatrick also spoke. "Yes, I am angry. Yes, I am hurt and I am disappointed, but there is no question that I love my husband," she said. The couple has been working "through some very painful issues" with help from their pastor and others, she said.

"Our family has endured the most painful and intrusive week of our lives," she said. "Our most intimate issues have been laid out for all to see. ... However, this private matter is between me, my husband and God. We are deeply committed to working through these issues together as a family."

The mayor and his wife urged Detroit residents -- and the media -- to allow them privacy and space.

"If you have to attack someone, attack me," Kilpatrick said. "I would ask that you don't follow my wife, you don't film my kids going to school. I ask you not to have helicopters flying around our home. I ask that you leave them alone. I am the mayor. I made the mistake. I am accountable."

He said he could not discuss specifics of the situation because of pending "legal issues."

Kilpatrick said he knew residents have been waiting to hear from him, but last weekend, for the first time since he took office six years ago, "I just put everything aside and focused on my family."

He said he told his sons that when you make a mistake, "you learn from it. You get up, you dust yourself off and you keep moving forward," adding that he hopes the city will keep moving forward.

"God bless you, Detroit," he said. "I love you, and I'll see you at work tomorrow."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/24/kilpatrick.investigation/index.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
No worries - I'm sure if he's convicted President Bush will commute his sentence.

I mean if Libby is convicted of perjury, obstruction of justice and making false statements to federal investigators about something as incosequential as intentionally exposing a covert agent then surely this guy must be worthy of the same treatment.

Shit all he lied about was an extra-marital affair

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
You can see his mug shot here:  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340939,00.html

They really need to impeach this fool, since he doesn't have the good sense and decency to resign. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
They really need to impeach this fool, since he doesn't have the good sense and decency to resign. 

LOL... you want a mayor impeached for having an affair... but you don't think AG Gonzalez should have been investigated, you thought Libby was an innocent victim despite the jury's findings...

That blind party loyalty, you see it in so many people, it's pathetic.  You have no moral compass.  You don't know anything but the fear of your daddy, in this case, rove and crew.

"They should impeach this fool"... wow, you are amusing. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
You can see his mug shot here:  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340939,00.html

Bum - weren't you the one who was constantly harping that there was no underlying crime in the Libby case?

Libby was convicted of perjury, obstruction of justice and lying to Federal investigators yet you seemed to think it was all so unfair because you kept saying .....no underlying crime.

This guy is being indicted for basically the same charges - perjury and obstruction in regards to an alleged affair between 2 consenting adults.

Where is the underlying crime?

Why is it that you're more outraged about consensual SEX more than a potential act of TREASON??

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Bum - weren't you the one who was constantly harping that there was no underlying crime in the Libby case?

Libby was convicted of perjury, obstruction of justice and lying to Federal investigators yet you seemed to think it was all so unfair because you kept saying .....no underlying crime.

This guy is being indicted for basically the same charges - perjury and obstruction in regards to an alleged affair between 2 consenting adults.

Where is the underlying crime?

Why is it that you're more outraged about consensual SEX more than a potential act of TREASON??

Go back and read the story.  He was accused of firing police officers who threatened to expose the fact he was using government resources to pay for his affair.  That's your underlying crime.  He was sued by these officers and lied about his affair during the civil trial. 

Who said anything about being outraged?  This case has nothing to do with Libby.  Treason?  lol . . . .   ::)  It's about the mayor of the 11th largest city in the country using government resources to carry on an affair, firing public servants who threatened to expose him, forcing the city to pay millions to settle the lawsuit, and lying about the entire episode to try and save his own sorry hide.

He should give Spitzer a call and get some advice.     

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Go back and read the story.  He was accused of firing police officers who threatened to expose the fact he was using government resources to pay for his affair.  That's your underlying crime.  He was sued by these officers and lied about his affair during the civil trial. 

Who said anything about being outraged?  This case has nothing to do with Libby.  Treason?  lol . . . .   ::)  It's about the mayor of the 11th largest city in the country using government resources to carry on an affair, firing public servants who threatened to expose him, forcing the city to pay millions to settle the lawsuit, and lying about the entire episode to try and save his own sorry hide.

He should give Spitzer a call and get some advice.     

I didn't the see the part about the cops.

That is a real crime.

Perjury is a real crime too

Too bad we could never get to the bottom of the perpetrator of the actual crime in the Libby case

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Saw a great discussion about this on Lou Dobbs last night.  Here is an excerpt:

DOBBS: Detroit's mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, today pleaded not guilty to felony charges that included perjury, obstruction of justice, misconduct in office. Kilpatrick and his former aide accused of lying under oath about their alleged affair, their role in retaliating against two police officers investigating.

Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy says this case is not about an affair, it's about lying under oath. Kym Worthy joins me tonight from Detroit.

Good to have you with us.

KYM WORTHY, WAYNE CO PROSECUTOR: Thank you.

DOBBS: Let me ask you, this -- these charges, I'm -- having followed that the case that the "Detroit Free Press" broke, did your initial information on this case come from the "Detroit Free Press?"

WORTHY: Yes, it did. The "Detroit Free Press" are the ones that broke the story and we began an investigation shortly thereafter.

DOBBS: And as we have watched this case unfold, it seems pretty clear, that there is, at least on the civil side, a clear statement that this mayor carried out an adulterous affair with his chief of staff, that an investigation into his conduct by two police officers resulted in their termination and their careers were destroyed and the city had to spend $8 million, $8.4 million, to settle that case. Is that part of this -- correct to this point?

WORTHY: That's part of our case and certainly we charged four perjury cases, two counts are based on lying under oath at the trial, based on the relationship, and two counts are based on the lying about the firing of Gary Brown.

DOBBS: And as I watched you enunciate these charges against those -- those folks, I have to tell you, Kym Worthy, I -- my thought was, I would not want you after me. I mean you were -- you are straightforward, you're very businesslike. Is there any political ax in this thing whatsoever?

WORTHY: I don't think -- no, there's not. Wayne County, which is 43 cities, Detroit is the largest city. I have no ax to grind with anyone. We were simply doing our job. It happened in my jurisdiction, so we investigate it and we'll prosecute in my jurisdiction.

DOBBS: Then if you would help us all out understand the politics of Detroit. This mayor is on the record as having been adulterous, having carried out an affair an employee of the city of Detroit, destroyed the careers of two law enforcement agents. It cost the city $8 million and this mayor is promising not to quit, when one would think --

WORTHY: Well, that's part and parcel of what this is about and I have no say, and nor should I have any say, on whether he resigns or not. But, it's an unusual stand, but it's something we have to deal with. Whether he's the mayor or the ex-mayor, we have to go along with the charges.

DOBBS: And the defense attorney says point-blank those text messages between Ms. Beatty, his lover and the chief of staff, and the mayor were -- you gathered them up illegally.

WORTHY: Well, I can't speak out for how anybody else got them. I don't think he suggested, at least I hope he's not suggesting that we obtained them illegally, because we certainly didn't. We're a law enforcement legal entity with broad subpoena power and we obtained them legally.

DOBBS: And you have no doubt that they will stand up in court?

WORTHY: I'm not worried about that at all.

DOBBS: All right. And the idea of the jury pool here, because of the notoriety of the mayor, he is a part of a -- he's a very prominent political family, including Congresswoman Kilpatrick, the head of the National Black Caucus --

WORTHY: Yes.

DOBBS: My gosh, how -- how can you find a jury pool that is not tainted by this case in Detroit?

WORTHY: Well, as you can imagine, this is not our first high- profile case.

DOBBS: Sure.

WORTHY: And I'm confident that we'll be able to find a jury right here within Wayne County. And if we can't, we'll have to deal with that in the future, but the law states that we have to try and seat a jury within that county, if we get that far. And I'm confident that we'll be able to do that.

DOBBS: And how soon do you expect to be at trial?

WORTHY: You know, it's hard to say. We received an examination date, today, of June the ninth. I anticipate that that may take a little bit of time. And here we have a 91-day track, and that means that within 91 days after the arraignment on the information, we expect this case to be tried. So, it should be fairly quickly. But, of course, I can't guarantee when it will be tried.

DOBBS: Kym Worthy, thank you very much, for being with us. We appreciate it. Wayne County prosecutor, Kym Worthy.

Also tonight I'll be talking about Detroit radio talk show host, who's long followed the career of the mayor. She's among three of the best radio talk show hosts who will join me here next.

. . . .

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0803/25/ldt.01.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
May 13, 1:07 PM EDT

Detroit council takes step toward mayor's ouster
By COREY WILLIAMS
Associated Press Writer

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit City Council has taken the first step toward removing Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick over a scandal involving explicit text messages to his former aide.

The council's 5-4 vote Tuesday begins a process aimed at removing Kilpatrick. Council members also voted to ask Gov. Jennifer Granholm to remove the mayor and voted to publicly censure him.

A message seeking comment has been left with a Kilpatrick spokeswoman. The mayor's office has said the council's actions are politically motivated.

The text messages between the mayor and former Chief of Staff Christine Beatty were revealed earlier this year. The two had testified during a whistleblowers' lawsuit that they did not have a romantic relationship.

Prosecutors have charged the two with perjury and obstruction of justice.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DETROIT_MAYOR?refresh=1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Kilpatrick faces more accusations of infidelity; charges may be revised
By Joe Swickard, Jim Schaefer and M.L. Elrick • Free Press staff writers • July 7, 2008

Armed with newly obtained text messages, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy is poised to accuse Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick of cheating on his wife with multiple women in an expansion of the perjury case against him, Worthy’s office confirmed Monday.

The decision, mentioned briefly in a court hearing last Thursday, suggests that Worthy is prepared to aggressively rebut a campaign by defense attorneys to discredit text message evidence compiled against the mayor.

Attorney Len Niehoff, who teaches evidence at the University of Michigan Law School, said accusing Kilpatrick of lying about affairs with women besides former aide Christine Beatty could improve Worthy’s chances of winning a conviction.

So far, the only perjury charge against Kilpatrick dealing with infidelity accuses him of lying about sex with Beatty. He did so while under oath during a police whistle-blower case last year.

“If he in fact made statements that indicated that he had not engaged in any extramarital affairs and there are text messages indicating that he did, those would be allegedly perjurious as well,” Niehoff said. “I think what Kym Worthy is trying to do is simply make sure that the charge is broad enough to correspond with all the evidence that she anticipates presenting to the jury.”

A Free Press review on Monday of Kilpatrick’s trial testimony found that, in addition to denying an affair with Beatty, the mayor denied having sex with an unidentified Jamaican woman at a barbershop. One of the mayor’s former bodyguards had also accused him of meeting a woman at the Lofts apartments in Detroit for a late-night liaison. Kilpatrick was not asked directly about that allegation at trial.

The Free Press review did not find any blanket denials of affairs by the mayor.

Peter Henning, a Wayne State University law professor and former federal prosecutor, said prosecutors will need to find such testimony to have any chance of making the charges stick.

“He’s not charged with having an affair, he’s charged with lying,” Henning said. “They’re going to have to identify the question and answer. They’re going to have to link it up with false statements he made.”

He said prosecutors can’t use the allegation just to “show he’s a bad guy.”

Henning said prosecutors also might have trouble getting the evidence admitted.

“It is a risk,” he said.

Kilpatrick attorney James Thomas said Monday he was disappointed by the prosecution’s conduct, but declined to comment on the possibility of changes in the charges against the mayor.

Beatty’s defense attorney, Mayer Morganroth, called remarks made in court Thursday by Assistant Prosecutor Robert Moran “outrageous” because the defense hasn’t seen or assessed the evidence that formed the basis for his accusations.

Morganroth also said the contents of sensitive text messages collected by prosecutors were supposed to remain private until District Judge Ronald Giles rules on whether to make the messages part of the public court file.

“But they don’t even care,” Morganroth said of prosecutors. “They just want to get stuff out there any way they can to taint the jury. It’s outrageous but they do it anyway, whether it’s true or not, whether the information is privileged or whether it’s sealed or not.”

Kilpatrick faces a number of felony charges for, among other things, lying while under oath last summer when he denied having an affair with Beatty. That charge will be amended to indicate that Kilpatrick lied about his relationships with Beatty “and others,” said Maria Miller, spokeswoman for the Prosecutor’s Office.

Miller wouldn’t commit to a timetable for the amended charge, but said, “It will happen in the near future.”

Evidence of additional extramarital affairs involving Kilpatrick came from his own text messages, which reveal Kilpatrick had relationships with women besides his wife and Beatty, Miller said.

Prosecutors have obtained more than five years of the mayor’s messages as part of their criminal investigation.

Miller said there will be no new people charged in the investigation “at this time.”

Moran raised the possibility that other women would become part of the prosecution’s case almost as an aside Thursday as he argued that prosecutors should be allowed to publicly file court documents that included hundreds of previously undisclosed text messages.

Moran said most of the new messages went to heart of the existing charges of perjury, conspiracy and misconduct in office against Kilpatrick.

“I’ll put the defense on notice, we’re about to file an amended warrant and complaint to amend the counts that relate to conspiracy as it relates to testimony about having a sexual relationship with the codefendant,” Moran said. “We’re going to amend to add the language ‘and others.’ We’ve uncovered other evidence.”

On Monday, prosecutors filed the contested motion containing a stack of text messages for Giles’ inspection to determine whether the contents can be made public. Giles said he’d announce his decision July 14.

It is not known what messages are included with the proposed motion.

In opposing the proposed motion, defense attorneys contend the messages were obtained in violation of federal laws and would invade the privacy of people not directly involved in the Kilpatrick-Beatty criminal case.

But Moran said the new messages are relevant and should be open because they will help authenticate the text messages at the center of the perjury case — messages that defense lawyers have suggested publicly are not authentic.

When the Free Press broke the text message scandal in January, it released the contents of some messages showing that Kilpatrick and Beatty lied under oath.

Kilpatrick and Beatty were charged with perjury and official misconduct after the Free Press published the excerpts.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys argued heatedly Thursday whether the motion and new text messages can be part of the open court file without violating Kilpatrick’s and Beatty’s right to fair trials.

Moran told Giles that contested evidence is used every day in 36th District Court preliminary hearings to determine whether defendants will face trial. A circuit court judge routinely decides whether the disputed evidence will be in, he said.

Even so, Moran said that the pending motion will pass the test: “It’s not going to be suppressed. It’s coming in. … A jury’s going to see all the text messages."

Worthy said in a prepared statement Monday: “If ever there was a time for transparency in Detroit, the time is now. We have said from the beginning that we want this case to be treated as any other. We are litigating a criminal case; there should be no special arrangements because of the parties involved. In any other case there would be a public filing; this case should be no different.”

Jim Parkman, another of Kilpatrick’s lawyers, has said if the mayor’s case has gotten “special treatment in the state of Michigan, please don’t give me any more of it.”

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080707/NEWS01/80707084/1001/NEWS

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Why is this clown still mayor?

Detroit mayor arrives at jail

DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) -- Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was jailed Thursday after a judge found he had violated terms of his bond by taking an unauthorized trip to Canada last month.

Kilpatrick, who is facing felony charges of perjury, obstruction of justice and misconduct of office, had been free on $75,000 bond.

Wayne County Sheriff Warren Evans told reporters the mayor will be treated like any other high-profile inmate at the jail. Measures will be taken to ensure his security as well as that of other inmates at the facility, the sheriff added.

Kilpatrick will be held in a restricted area where no one except deputies will be allowed to have close contact with him, the sheriff said.

The mayor has been snarled in a public scandal since January, when the Detroit Free Press reported that he had exchanged romantic text messages with his former chief of staff, Christine Beatty, indicating the two were involved in an affair.

He and Beatty, testifying last fall in a whistle-blower trial, had denied they had been having an affair.

Kilpatrick attorney Jim Parkman said an immediate appeal of the mayor's jailing is planned. A hearing on the appeal has been scheduled Friday, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Parkman noted that Kilpatrick's trip "wasn't a personal trip over there to go to Caesar's Palace and play" but for Detroit business. "He believes it was the right thing to do, and on the spur of the moment, he just went," Parkman told reporters.

Kilpatrick visited Windsor, Ontario, on July 23 to discuss with Windsor's mayor a plan to sell Detroit's half of the tunnel connecting the two cities, according to the Free Press.  See how close the two cities are »

Under terms of his bond, Kilpatrick was required to give the court 48 hours' notice for business travel, District Court Judge Ronald Giles noted Thursday.

Kilpatrick apologized for the trip, telling Giles his first priority was taking care of the city.

"I guess the problem I'm having is, I don't think there's too much of anything you do alone," Giles told Kilpatrick. "And even on that day, it's not that you got a telephone call, jumped in your SUV and drove across the bridge or the tunnel. You go to the phone. You made several telephone calls.

"You had to call security. You had to contact the deputy mayor and executive assistant. You had to make arrangements," Giles said. "You don't do anything without making arrangements, and one of those arrangements has to be in relationship to this court."  Watch the judge order Kilpatrick to jail »

The judge said that last week, in addressing another violation by Kilpatrick, he had made it clear: "Don't come back."

"What matters to me is how the court is perceived," Giles said. "And if it was not Kwame Kilpatrick sitting in that seat, if it was John Six-Pack sitting in that seat, what would I do? And there the answer is simple, so I'm going to go back to my original 'keep it simple' ... anybody else sitting in that chair, that's exactly what would happen."

Parkman said he was not surprised by the judge's ruling.

"It did not come as a shock," he said. "The judge, I would say, is his own man."  Watch what else Parkman had to say »

Wayne County Attorney Kym Worthy issued a statement saying she thinks Giles took appropriate action, "considering (Kilpatrick's) most recent behavior. Judge Giles treated this defendant as any other defendant would have been treated."

Earlier Thursday, Kilpatrick and Beatty waived their preliminary examination and agreed that the case could be forwarded to Wayne County Circuit Court's Criminal Division.

Beatty, who resigned her post after the text messages were made public, is also facing charges. If convicted, both face a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison. Kilpatrick has rejected calls from critics that he resign.

The city said in a statement that the government will continue to function as normal, with a deputy mayor in charge.

"It's very unfortunate," said Kenneth Cockrel Jr., president of the Detroit City Council and one of Kilpatrick's critics. "It's another sad chapter in an ongoing saga which I hope can be brought to a close soon. It's not good for the city of Detroit, it's not good for the southeastern Michigan region, it's not good for the entire state."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/07/mayor.jailed/index.html

Decker

• Getbig V
I am appalled at this democrat:

Port Arthur Police Arrest A Former Justice Of The Peace

Port Arthur police arrested former Jefferson County Justice of the Peace Thurman Bartie Wednesday night around 10. They say Bartie violated a city ordinance by walking in the middle of a road where a sidewalk is provided. Sergeant Ben Smith tells KBTV-4 that Bartie had been walking down the middle of the 1100 block of Procter while carrying a large stick. Smith says the 53-year-old was taken into custody without incident, and taken to the Jefferson County Jail.
http://setxhomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=7975

What democrat scum this guy is!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Ha ha.   :)   He can't hold Kwame's jock.  He needs to go break a few more laws, lie, cheat, etc., and then we can get a little upset. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Ha ha.   :)   He can't hold Kwame's jock.  He needs to go break a few more laws, lie, cheat, etc., and then we can get a little upset. 

Beachy, ...I know you love political sex scandals, ...but I didn't expect you'd write a song and post it on youtube

Beach Bum finally outted
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I didn't watch.  What does it say?  Does it talk about why Kwame is still mayor of Detroit? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Free Kwame!

Aug 8, 3:18 AM EDT

Detroit mayor's lawyers seek to free him from jail

By ED WHITE and COREY WILLIAMS
Associated Press Writers

DETROIT (AP) -- Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick spent the night in a one-man jail cell with no TV and a phone only for collect calls, the consequence of violating his bond in a criminal case that has dogged him for months.

His legal problems could get much worse.

State police have wrapped up their investigation of a confrontation between Kilpatrick and a sheriff's detective who claims he was pushed while recently trying to serve a subpoena on the mayor's friend.

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox scheduled a news conference Friday morning to announce the results. Kilpatrick's legal team was not optimistic, predicting that some kind of charge was a "done deal."

"If they want to bring the charges, let's go. It's the only way to get it resolved," defense attorney Jim Parkman said.

Separately, the mayor and a former top aide are charged with perjury, misconduct and obstruction of justice, all tied to their testimony in a civil trial last year. At the heart of the case: steamy text messages contradicting their claim that they didn't have a romantic relationship.

Kilpatrick had paid $7,500 - 10 percent of his bond in the perjury case - to remain free while that case moves through court, along with other conditions, including notifying the court about leaving the state on city business.

He acknowledged violating that term when he visited Windsor, Ontario - minutes away from Detroit - on July 23 to discuss the sale of the city's portion of a tunnel connecting the U.S. and Canada. He didn't call prosecutors or the court.

"I'm asking for another chance," the mayor pleaded Thursday to District Judge Ronald Giles.

The judge's response was swift and surprising: Jail for the leader of the country's 11th-largest city.

"I don't claim to have a good understanding of what your responsibilities are. ... But I have to look at how the (court) system is run and perceived by the public," Giles told Kilpatrick.

Circuit Judge Thomas E. Jackson said he would hear an appeal of the order Friday morning.

Defense attorney Jim Thomas called Giles' ruling "extreme." Parkman said they would propose an electronic tether or some other conditions to get Kilpatrick out of jail.

The mayor was transported to jail in a sheriff's van, photographed, given a green jumpsuit and placed in a one-man cell for high-profile people.

Although not in the general jail population, Kilpatrick was being treated like any other prisoner - "no better, no worse," Sheriff Warren Evans said.

Earlier Thursday, Kilpatrick and Christine Beatty waived their right to a preliminary exam in the perjury case. That means those charges now go directly to Wayne County Circuit Court. Arraignment was set for Aug. 14. Both deny the charges.

Deputy Mayor Kandia Milton is running the city while Kilpatrick is in jail.

"Detroit's government will continue to operate as usual. ... Trash will continue to be collected, recreation centers will remain open, grass will be cut and fires will be extinguished," a statement from the mayor's office said.

Kilpatrick has resisted calls for his resignation or a plea bargain as his legal woes pile up.

City Council President Ken Cockrel Jr. would succeed Kilpatrick if the mayor resigns or is forced from office.

In May, the Detroit City Council asked Gov. Jennifer Granholm to invoke a little-used state law and remove Kilpatrick from office for misconduct. A hearing is scheduled for Sept. 3.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DETROIT_MAYOR_CHARGES?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Detroit mayor faces new charges after night in jail

DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) -- After spending a night in jail, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick faces new felony charges even as a judge ruled Friday that he could go free if he wears a tracking device and doesn't leave town.

Kilpatrick's lawyers are negotiating his surrender on charges of assaulting or obstructing two police officers who attempted to serve a subpoena, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox said.

If convicted, Kilpatrick could face up to two years in prison, Cox told reporters. He also would be unable to serve as mayor.

"In almost 20 years as a prosecutor and now as attorney general, I cannot recall one case where someone has assaulted a police officer who was attempting to serve a subpoena," Cox said.

Kilpatrick's latest legal skirmish began July 24 when two officers attempted to serve a subpoena on a friend who was a potential witness in Kilpatrick's pending perjury case, Cox said. He alleged that an "irate and angry" Kilpatrick grabbed one of the officers and shoved him into the other, screaming at both of them and using abusive language.

One of the mayor's lawyers, James Thomas, told reporters he would fight the new charges with "law and common sense."

Earlier, a Wayne County Circuit Court judge ruled Kilpatrick could be released from jail if he posted a $50,000 cash bond, wore a GPS device and didn't travel outside the Detroit area.

. . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/08/mayor.jailed/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Judge: Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to Stand Trial in Assault Case
Friday, August 15, 2008

DETROIT —  A judge ruled Friday there is enough evidence for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to stand trial on two felony assault charges stemming from a confrontation with two investigators.

The investigators testified that an angry Kilpatrick shoved one of them into the other and made racial remarks while they were trying to deliver a subpoena in the mayor's perjury case to a Kilpatrick friend last month.

Judge Ronald Giles made the ruling after hearing several hours of testimony and arguments in 36th District Court. The mayor remains free on bond ahead of an Aug. 22 arraignment in Wayne County Circuit Court.

The judge said there was no question the mayor was aware that Wayne County sheriff's Detective Brian White and county prosecutor's investigator JoAnn Kinney were there to perform official business.

White says the mayor shoved him into Kinney when he was trying to deliver the subpoena.

"It's clear Kilpatrick knew who Detective White was. He had previous contact with him through his other case," Giles said in his ruling. "He specifically called him by name in this case."

Kilpatrick's attorneys have denied an assault took place. It was the mayor's third day in court this week related to his legal troubles. Kilpatrick's wife, Carlita, also was in court for Friday's hearing.

Kilpatrick and his former top aide, Christine Beatty, were charged in March with conspiracy, perjury, obstruction of justice and misconduct in office, mostly tied to their testimony in a civil trial.

Sexually explicit text messages between the pair, published by the Detroit Free Press in January, contradict their denial of an affair, a key point in the trial last year involving a former deputy police chief.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404785,00.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
He promises not to run for reelection??  lol . . .  Wouldn't surprise me if he ran and won.   ::)

Aug 31, 11:34 AM EDT

Report: Detroit mayor's lawyers offered plea deal

By COREY WILLIAMS
Associated Press Writer

DETROIT (AP) -- Lawyers for Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick have proposed a deal in which he would plead guilty to two felonies, make restitution and serve five years' probation in exchange for avoiding jail time, a newspaper reported Sunday.

The Detroit Free Press quoted "a source familiar with all aspects of the negotiations" as saying Kilpatrick's legal team also said he would give up his law license, not run for office for two years and do 300 hours of community service.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy hadn't yet accepted the offer, the newspaper said.

A person briefed on the talks told The Associated Press on Sunday that the prosecutor's office would not agree to any type of plea that doesn't involve jail time. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of not wanting to publicly reveal specifics of the talks.

One Kilpatrick lawyer, James Thomas, told AP on Sunday morning that he had been out of town for a few days and was unaware of the plea deal proposal. He said that even if he had been aware of it he couldn't comment on it.

Kilpatrick, 38 and in his second four-year term as mayor, is charged with 10 felonies in two cases. He also faces removal proceedings set to begin Wednesday before Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

The newspaper said the mayor would turn over his state pension to the city. Kilpatrick is a former member of the state House, where he was leader of the Democratic minority. It said he also would make at least $100,000 in restitution.

The newspaper said that in a letter to Worthy, Kilpatrick's lawyers proposed having a neutral "legal statesman" assess the offer. It didn't identity the lawyers.

On Tuesday, Wayne County Circuit Judge Robert Ziolkowski is expected to decide whether to grant Kilpatrick's request to postpone the hearing before Granholm.

The Detroit City Council is asking Granholm to use her constitutional power to remove Kilpatrick from office. It says the mayor misled council members into approving an $8.4 million settlement with fired police officers in a whistle-blowers' lawsuit. The council says it didn't know the deal included provisions to keep a cover on romantic text messages between Kilpatrick and his top aide.

Kilpatrick also would be forced from office if convicted of a felony in either of the two criminal cases.

In the first case, he and ex-top aide Christine Beatty are charged with perjury, conspiracy, misconduct and obstruction of justice. They are accused of lying during the 2007 whistle-blowers' trial about having an extramarital affair and their roles in the firing of a deputy police chief.

Text messages from Beatty's city-issued pager contradicted their testimony.

The other charges against the mayor stem from a confrontation in July. A sheriff's detective says Kilpatrick shoved him into another investigator as they were attempting to serve a subpoena on a friend of the mayor for the perjury case.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Sep 3, 11:17 AM EDT

Governor's hearing to remove Detroit mayor begins

By ED WHITE and COREY WILLIAMS
Associated Press Writers

DETROIT (AP) -- Gov. Jennifer Granholm opened an extraordinary hearing Wednesday to determine whether Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick committed misconduct and should be removed from office in a scandal over steamy text messages and a multimillion-dollar legal settlement.

Granholm gave brief opening remarks after Kilpatrick's lawyers failed the day before to persuade courts to stop the hearing, which drew members of the public as early as sunrise to a state office building.

Granholm will hear evidence over allegations by the Detroit City Council that Kilpatrick mislead it when it approved an $8.4 million settlement with fired police officers. Council members say they didn't know the deal also covered up steamy text messages between Kilpatrick and his top aide, Christine Beatty, on city-issued pagers.

Michigan governors have a constitutional authority to remove elected officials for misconduct, but the target never has been the leader of the state's largest city. The hearing is expected to last several days.

"The burden of proof is sufficient evidence satisfactory to the governor," Granholm said in her remarks. "This is not a criminal trial. This is not a civil trial."

Kilpatrick skipped the hearing. His attorney, Sharon McPhail, attacked council members who asked for the removal hearing, saying they are Kilpatrick's political rivals. She said it was city lawyers who settled the case with former police officers, not the mayor.

"It's too stupid to be plausible" that Kilpatrick had a secret pact to cover up embarrassing text messages, McPhail said.

She warned the governor that removing the mayor would have a chilling effect on officials statewide. The last time a Michigan governor considered the removal of an elected official was in 1982. In that case, Gov. William Milliken found a township official guilty of official misconduct but let him stay in office if he stopped drinking.

Besides the removal hearing, Kilpatrick faces 10 felonies in two criminal cases.

Granholm, a fellow Democrat, has pared the case to two issues: Did Kilpatrick settle the lawsuits for personal gain because he feared release of the text messages and did he conceal information from the City Council.

Kilpatrick's legal team has criticized Granholm, claiming her opinion on the mayor's future is clouded by her role in trying to broker a settlement in his criminal case in May. Resignation apparently was on the table.

"I listed the positions of the parties on a blackboard and suggested a path that was a compromise," Granholm said in an affidavit. "I made it clear that this suggestion was intended solely as a device to begin their discussion."

The Michigan Court of Appeals found nothing sinister Tuesday.

The removal hearing is just one of three legal minefields for Kilpatrick. He also faces 10 felonies in two criminal cases in Wayne County Circuit Court.

After the Detroit Free Press published the text messages earlier this year, Kilpatrick and Beatty were charged with perjury, conspiracy, misconduct and obstruction of justice.

They are accused of lying during the 2007 whistle-blowers' trial about having an extramarital affair and their roles in the firing of a deputy police chief.

Two assault charges against the mayor stem from a confrontation in July. A sheriff's detective says Kilpatrick shoved him into another investigator as they were attempting to serve a subpoena to the mayor's friend in the perjury case.

Despite his courtroom losses Tuesday, the mayor did get a small victory: A judge said he could stop wearing an electronic tether that keeps track of his whereabouts. Travel restrictions that keep Kilpatrick in the metro Detroit area won't change.