Author Topic: The Week The Women Went  (Read 9574 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
The Week The Women Went
« on: January 24, 2008, 09:11:16 PM »
Women leave Canadian town, children in hands of men
Thu Jan 24, 7:10 PM
By Julie Gordon

TORONTO (Reuters) - What would happen if all the women were to disappear from a town, leaving the men to not only work, but also take care of the family and the home?

"It will be a disaster, a complete disaster," said Kelly Weatherly, who was sent off for a week at a resort, along with almost all the women in her community of 760, leaving the town and the children in the hands of the men.

The exodus was part of a social experiment filmed for Canada's national broadcaster, the CBC. Touted as an exploration of gender issues in contemporary Canadian culture, "The Week the Women Went" is based on a BBC program by the same name.

Recent government statistics show that 70 percent of Canadian households are run by women. The majority of these women also hold full-time jobs.

In Hardisty, an oil-patch town in the prairie province of Alberta where the program was shot, many of the men work away from home for days at a time.

"They don't get to hang out with Daddy," said stay-at-home mother Heather Miller of her two young sons in the first episode. "I don't even know if he's had them for a whole day."

While Miller worried about her husband Dustin's ability to cope without her, he didn't share her concern.

"Two people to take care of, both under the age of five," he said. "How hard can it be?"

Dustin Miller's comments may come off as misguided, but for some of the local men good planning made the process easy.

"It wasn't that much of an ordeal," said town administrator, and father of three, Tony Kulbisky. "We just pre-planned everything, or tried to be as organized as we could be."

For the CBC's creative chief Kristine Layfield, making a reality program presented a unique challenge.

"Whenever we do these kinds of shows, we want to stir conversation," she said. "It's never exploitative ... it's always with a purpose to try to move people to talk about something after they watch the show."

And the show has sparked discussion. Local media called it "sexist" and debate online has been lively.

"What a misandric (man hating) idea for show," said a viewer identified as Andrew. "What is wrong with Canadian society that we need to continuously promote how important women are to society at the expense of men."

While show producer Sally Aitken is delighted with both the positive and negative reaction the program is getting. She said the best part is how the experience has changed the relationships of the participants.

For one commitment phobic man, who after ten years together, and three children, was still refusing to marry his girlfriend, the time apart prompted him to plan a surprise wedding.

While viewers will have to wait to see if the wedding goes off without a hitch, Kulbisky is certain of at least one thing.

"It's changed people. You can walk down the street now and you can say hi to people who you maybe never would have said hi to before," he said. "It's allowed the community to grow."
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: The Week The Women Went
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:40:23 AM »
That article was obviously written by a man hater, Jag.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »
How do you figure? I've just re-read it, and I'm not seeing that. Could you point out the misandric parts? ???
w

w8m8

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 05:42:09 AM »
Women leave Canadian town, children in hands of men

"What a misandric (man hating) idea for show," said a viewer identified as Andrew. "What is wrong with Canadian society that we need to continuously promote how important women are to society at the expense of men."

I don't agree with Andrew, and would love to know how the whole thing ends up. I can see all the dirty laundry , dirty dishes , kids strung out on sugar and McD's crap , empty pizza boxes all over the neighborhood , not to mention all the men walking around the lingerie department in the local Wal-Mart.

;D

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
Not to mention all the guys driving around forever, too macho to ask for directions, and soo horny they're ready to take someone's head off at the drop of a hat. I think the big losers in all this will be the kids.  :'(
w

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 06:33:09 AM »
How do you figure? I've just re-read it, and I'm not seeing that. Could you point out the misandric parts? ???

Politically correct nonsense works both ways. If the President of Harvard can get canned for suggesting that men might be better than woman at Math and Engineering, this woman can be called misandric for suggesting that women might be better than men at raising small children.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
Politically correct nonsense works both ways. If the President of Harvard can get canned for suggesting that men might be better than woman at Math and Engineering, this woman can be called misandric for suggesting that women might be better than men at raising small children.

But you forget to take into account that Heather Miller is speaking about her husband, ...a man who has NEVER even had his kids for an entire day by himself. I wouldn't necessarily call her a man-hater, as she is speaking about her personal experience.  That's like calling K-Fed a mysogynist for claiming that his sons are better off with him as the custodial parent.

...sides, ...everyone knows women are better than men at raising small children.  ;)
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:33:45 AM »
Its a load of crock. I have a friend right now who has a wife in a full arm cast and a 1 year old daughter who has a flu. He has been taking care of his family all by himself (as his wife cannot in a cast) not to mention, holding a job, tending to the baby's every need, cleaning the house, cooking, etc, etc, etc. This has been going on for weeks now. He called me last night from Sick Kids Hospital here in Toronto to tell me that his daughter has a 105 degree fever. This is just a small example. Lots of men are very capable of taking care of children and raising families. What do you think single fathers do? The message that I got from that article is that men do not know how to take care of their families and their home. Well to me, that article was written by someone who is definately a man hater. Lord know, there are lots of them.   :-\

w8m8

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »
Well to me, that article was written by someone who is definately a man hater. Lord know, there are lots of them.   :-\

I'm not a man hater PB by any means , but I personally know a lot of men who would not handle doing what your friend is doing , not only is it they couldn't handle it , more like they'd refuse .
Some of the men I know who would do this would do it on their level and that would mean no cooking , no cleaning , and letting the kids run rampant.
Of course there are plenty of men who are like your friend but we don't ever hear the good things , so it's just more apparent that this side is discussed more for that reason.

some not all  , applies to women as well  :-\

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:39:57 AM »
I think the comments about political correctness do have merit, and there are plenty of men out there who are really excellent fathers.  I think this show is meant to be humorous though, isn't it? And it can't be any worse than Wife Swap, where every week, two dysfunctional families trade their mothers/wives, usually with very comedic results.  The women are always intolerant and shrewish, or weepy and hysterical, walking emotional disasters.  Isn't it kind of in the same genre?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »
Its a load of crock. I have a friend right now who has a wife in a full arm cast and a 1 year old daughter who has a flu. He has been taking care of his family all by himself (as his wife cannot in a cast) not to mention, holding a job, tending to the baby's every need, cleaning the house, cooking, etc, etc, etc. This has been going on for weeks now. He called me last night from Sick Kids Hospital here in Toronto to tell me that his daughter has a 105 degree fever. This is just a small example. Lots of men are very capable of taking care of children and raising families. What do you think single fathers do? The message that I got from that article is that men do not know how to take care of their families and their home. Well to me, that article was written by someone who is definately a man hater. Lord know, there are lots of them.   :-\

Whoa! Calm down Playboy. I think you're reading waaaay too much into this. No one is saying that men can't be good at taking care of their children and running a household by themselves. There are plenty of men who do just that and are very good at it.

HOWEVER, ...these particular men are from Hardisty, and most are never around. They're off for days working the oil-patch. For these guys, running the household and taking care of their kids is not something they do. They're away from home most of the time, and most likely have no clue about how their household is run, let alone the kids routines because they haven't been the ones juggling that.

I predict many of these guys will be like lost babes in the woods, and the kids are going to have a hard time adjusting to their father's learning curves.  Why not watch the series and see how it turns out? it's CBC so you should be able to get it.  :)  I predict these guys, and the kids, are going to come away from this with a newfound respect for what their wives & mothers do for them. ...just my opinion.  :)
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 11:50:37 AM »
Whoa! Calm down Playboy. I think you're reading waaaay too much into this. No one is saying that men can't be good at taking care of their children and running a household by themselves. There are plenty of men who do just that and are very good at it.

HOWEVER, ...these particular men are from Hardisty, and most are never around. They're off for days working the oil-patch. For these guys, running the household and taking care of their kids is not something they do. They're away from home most of the time, and most likely have no clue about how their household is run, let alone the kids routines because they haven't been the ones juggling that.

I predict many of these guys will be like lost babes in the woods, and the kids are going to have a hard time adjusting to their father's learning curves.  Why not watch the series and see how it turns out? it's CBC so you should be able to get it.  :)  I predict these guys, and the kids, are going to come away from this with a newfound respect for what their wives & mothers do for them. ...just my opinion.  :)
Well, from what I got out of that article it stated that men cannot take care of their families. I beg to differ. There will not be lost babies in the woods if the babies have the proper guidence of a loving parent..mother or father.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »
Well, from what I got out of that article it stated that men cannot take care of their families. I beg to differ. There will not be lost babies in the woods if the babies have the proper guidence of a loving parent..mother or father.

psst: I was talking about the fathers.  :-X
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
psst: I was talking about the fathers.  :-X
You missed the moral of the story  :-X

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »
You missed the moral of the story  :-X

ok, what's the moral of the story?
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
ok, what's the moral of the story?
That article is ludacris. Men CAN take care of their families if needs be.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 12:14:52 PM »
That article is ludacris. Men CAN take care of their families if needs be.

True, ...however I think this particular batch are going to have a bit of a learning curve,
...and that will be the fun part to watch.  ;D
w

w8m8

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
Wife Swap, where every week, two dysfunctional families trade their mothers/wives, usually with very comedic results.

I like that show Deedee  ;D
Sometimes it is hysterical , and they always end up getting something out of it , agree ?or no ?

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »
I like that show Deedee  ;D
Sometimes it is hysterical , and they always end up getting something out of it , agree ?or no ?

Love it!  ;D

They do always get something out of it, but sometimes it's frightening too.  Like the episode with the woman who was a sun worshiper and figured she didn't have to eat because being out in the rays gave her all the nourishment she needed. The whole family was skinny as twigs.  :-X

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 04:29:53 AM »
Love it!  ;D

They do always get something out of it, but sometimes it's frightening too.  Like the episode with the woman who was a sun worshiper and figured she didn't have to eat because being out in the rays gave her all the nourishment she needed. The whole family was skinny as twigs.  :-X
On a different note, great to have you back here Deedee. I missed ya!

w8m8

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »
Love it!  ;D

YES !!!   I was weirded out with that chick  :o
The one with fitness Mom was good , the new family really got benefitted (sp) from that one ,  I liked it a lot.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »
"The Week The Women Went" airs Monday night at 8pm on CBC.

For those of you unable to get CBC on your local channel lineup, you can preview episodes here:
http://www.cbc.ca/thewomenwent/video.html

Don't laugh too hard.  ;D
w

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 09:38:36 AM »
With these kind of shows they just let the viewers see what they want to see. With a good shot selection they could either show a group of men doing perfectly fine, or a bunch of losers who can't handle it.

Probably they'll go the second route, as most of the viewers will prob be women.

However, i don't think it's a real easy task either. Life is hard for most single-parent (man or woman) families and it's kind of unfair to expect that everyone should just be able to handle it perfectly in a short time (man or woman).
$

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 12:23:13 AM »
With these kind of shows they just let the viewers see what they want to see. With a good shot selection they could either show a group of men doing perfectly fine, or a bunch of losers who can't handle it.

Probably they'll go the second route, as most of the viewers will prob be women.

With most reality shows I'd say that was the case, ...but this is CBC which is a little different.
They don't have to compete for ratings, ...only for purely Canadian content.

However, i don't think it's a real easy task either. Life is hard for most single-parent (man or woman) families and it's kind of unfair to expect that everyone should just be able to handle it perfectly in a short time (man or woman).

I agree. But I think it's hilarious that these are the actual parents... for whom parenting appears to be a foreign thing. Some of the out-takes that were not included in the broadcast were hilarious. I like the one where the father is trying to get his kid to bed, and he's dragging him across the floor, and the kid grabs onto the door post and refuses to let go. The one where the father starts screaming to his wife "Take her, she just pee'd on me". He should have been grateful it was a baby girl. Can you imagine how happy he'd have been if he had a baby boy to contend with? Diaper change time for him would have been a riot!!! And the guy gets pissed off and resentful when his wife left, and she didn't cook all the meals in advance before going.  ::)

I really felt sorry for that guy with the 3 babies. 1 toddler, and a set of newborn twins. Oy! What a handful!
Lucky for him, all three of them are girls.

Correction: Jay's twin 11 month olds are girls, ...the 2 yr. old toddler is a boy.  :o

Day 1 and already one of the twins has a huge bruise on her forehead.  :o
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 11:41:53 AM »
Episode 1:
Hit The Road Jill:

Aired: Monday, January 21, 2008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a mix of excitement and trepidation, the town of Hardisty, Alberta gets ready for a week without Mom. The men’s bravado speaks volumes as the guys discuss their best (and worst) case scenarios without wives, girlfriends, sisters and mothers around. Some men plan to party, others hope to connect with their kids and a few just hope they survive...!

The women, meanwhile, are similarly keyed up AND nervous about leaving their kids and men behind. The ladies pack their bags, stock meals in the freezers and list multiple chores for their guys to complete in their absence. Some go as far as leaving a detailed plan for watering the garden or pin rosters to the fridge. What does this say about women’s control in the home and their confidence in their men? We’ll soon see.

This episode introduces the town of Hardisty and some of the characters that are followed for the next 7 days.

For some men, like local restaurant/bar owner, Max Sabati, being without women is more than just losing his girlfriend, Tamara Seidel… Max is losing half his female bar staff too. And, he’ll have their three children to manage while staying in business. How’s he going to cope? Max’s prediction - “It’ll be a challenge”

Other men, like trucker Brad McKenzie, think that looking after the kids isn’t anything to get stressed about, “It’ll be easy”.

Or as Pipeliner, Dustin Miller says, “two kids, under 5… how hard can it be?”

36-year-old bachelor, Sam Holinaty, has to look after his 11-year-old son, Keaton, for 7 days - the longest he and Keaton have ever spent together. Keaton’s mom (and Sam’s ex-wife), Julie Pasztor, could have allowed Keaton to stay home with his 3 step-siblings and her current husband Jordan, but she’s eager for Sam to be involved in their son’s life. Can Sam do it and what will he discover in the process?

The episode touches on some Hardisty history and points to its future as an oil-rich town.

And apart from anything else, the men of Hardisty start cooking up their plans for a “secret community project” – one that will be a surprise for the women when they return, and a lasting reminder of The Week The Women Went... that is if the women don’t find out what their counterparts are up to in the next 7 days.

To view episode 1:http://www.cbc.ca/thewomenwent/guide1.html
w