Author Topic: Why do some "Christians" terrorize children with tales of hell?  (Read 10589 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Why do some "Christians" terrorize children with tales of hell?
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=1b5bd6e3e034d00b4f73

This was too disturbing for me to watch in its entirety.

You've heard of the "Jesus Camp" and "Hell House" scare tactics used on children? Well, here's another addition to this unfortunate list. My 12 year old son (a non-believer all by himself, without any help from me) was given this link by a school friend who's going around trying to convert his classmates to Christianity. This video "A Letter From Hell" is a truly frightening, scare-the-kids-into-believing 'message'. A warning: It will both anger and sicken you.

Humbly submitted for your viewing displeasure,
~Carmine Bello
(Double Bass Atheist)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
Re: Why do some "Christians" terrorize children with tales of hell?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:15:39 AM »
This sort of vile, vicious crap is what Hitchens and Dawkins had in mind when they included in their books chapters on "Religion as Child Abuse."

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:50:53 AM »
Your thread titles are the fucking bomb.  ;D

Damn,  I am speechless after watching that.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:04:08 AM »

I have a hard time watching/listening to "art" that seems overly dramatic and breathy but at least the P.S was funny ;D
R

MMC78

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:59:11 AM »

I have a hard time watching/listening to "art" that seems overly dramatic and breathy but at least the P.S was funny ;D

Not funny in the least.  Do you attempt to defend this teaching of your religion that you hold so dear?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:11:04 AM »

The whole thing was funny.  At least the first three minutes I actually watched.   :)  It is overly dramatic fiction. 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 10:31:57 AM »
Beach Bum, show it to your kids and ask them if they also think it is funny!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 10:33:13 AM »
They would think it's "boring." 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 10:41:13 AM »
Well, go ahead and try it then :)

Other kids might not find it boring though. This kind of crap is intended to scare kids shitless into nutcase Christianity. It works on far too many!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »
Nah.  I know my kids pretty well.   :)  The clip is a fairy tale. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 10:45:34 AM »
Not funny in the least.  Do you attempt to defend this teaching of your religion that you hold so dear?
What?

Do I believe that as a Christian, we are supposed to share the gospel w/people?  Yes. 

This "film" though was painfully and dramatically queer until the P.S. which made it worth watching/listening to imo.  I'm sure that wasn't the maker's intention though.

Listening to this kid whine and accuse in a breathy voice while berating his one friend about not telling him about Jesus seems to place all the blame on the friend who did not share the gospel.  Did the breathy kid in hell ever hear of a bible?  Was the friend the only Christian the accuser had ever known in his life?  Why is it the friend's responsibility only?  Why's he the only one that got a breathy "letter?"  Seems to me the kid in hell should take some responsibility.  Reminds me of some people's view of society in general.  It's always someone elses fault :'(

At least the first three minutes I actually watched.   :) 

Beach, the funniest part is the P.S.  in the letter.  I actually laughed out loud ;D

R

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 11:56:24 AM »

The whole thing was funny.  At least the first three minutes I actually watched.   :)  It is overly dramatic fiction. 

What I find funny is the claims of this woman, that her son is "non-believer all by himself, without any help from me".

Prior to having my daughter being born, I would have more inclined to take such a claim at face value. But, my daughter was saying her grace before eating, before she turned two years old. Guess who taught her that: her mommy and daddy.

Parents have influence on their kids. So, for this woman to claim that her son's atheism came to be without her influence (or that from another family member or someone close to the family) is rather silly.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 12:22:45 PM »
What?

Do I believe that as a Christian, we are supposed to share the gospel w/people?  Yes. 

This "film" though was painfully and dramatically queer until the P.S. which made it worth watching/listening to imo.  I'm sure that wasn't the maker's intention though.

Listening to this kid whine and accuse in a breathy voice while berating his one friend about not telling him about Jesus seems to place all the blame on the friend who did not share the gospel.  Did the breathy kid in hell ever hear of a bible?  Was the friend the only Christian the accuser had ever known in his life?  Why is it the friend's responsibility only?  Why's he the only one that got a breathy "letter?"  Seems to me the kid in hell should take some responsibility.  Reminds me of some people's view of society in general.  It's always someone elses fault :'(

Beach, the funniest part is the P.S.  in the letter.  I actually laughed out loud ;D

Hahahaha!   :D  (I just watched/listened.) 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »
What I find funny is the claims of this woman, that her son is "non-believer all by himself, without any help from me".

Prior to having my daughter being born, I would have more inclined to take such a claim at face value. But, my daughter was saying her grace before eating, before she turned two years old. Guess who taught her that: her mommy and daddy.

Parents have influence on their kids. So, for this woman to claim that her son's atheism came to be without her influence (or that from another family member or someone close to the family) is rather silly.

I agree.  My oldest daughter learned how to pray before she could talk. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »

Oh boy, you have DNA you have infected with your mind virus. I guess it still goes on in the 21st century.  :-\
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
Oh boy, you have DNA you have infected with you mind virus. I guess it still goes on in the 21st century.  :-\

Nah, all that is a kid who never stopped asking why?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 08:12:19 PM »
Nah, all that is a kid who never stopped asking why?

People like MCWAY having children scare me to be honest.  :o
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »
People like MCWAY having children scare me to be honest.  :o

You shouldn't be too scared, at least you will always know children like that will grow up to be adults that will always try to do the right thing.  How bad can that be?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
You shouldn't be too scared, at least you will always know children like that will grow up to be adults that will always try to do the right thing.  How bad can that be?

The right thing? As in...?
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
The right thing? As in...?

Kindness, working hard, helping others, giving to charity, instilling moral values such as the non-god related ones we find in the 10 commandments etc...

all good stuff and productive for society and the continuance of our species.

Meanwhile the scientists find more answers to ease our time on earth in terms of comfort.  Things just get better.  Better burgers, better medicine, better sheets.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 12:03:30 AM »
Kindness, working hard, helping others, giving to charity, instilling moral values such as the non-god related ones we find in the 10 commandments etc...

all good stuff and productive for society and the continuance of our species.

Meanwhile the scientists find more answers to ease our time on earth in terms of comfort.  Things just get better.  Better burgers, better medicine, better sheets.

I don't know. MCWAY seems like a pretty big dickhead to me.
I hate the State.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 05:37:23 AM »
I can promise you, If I ever meet the idiot fuck who made this, I will kick his ass through hell and back and then kick the crap out of him a little more...  Oh fuck it, I'll mutilate the stupid asshole... This is among the sickest thing I've seen and unfortunately I've had a lifetime of this bullshit.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 05:44:19 AM »
fucking assholes... no offence to people like Intensone/joelocal and people who use religion responsibly but it's people like this stupid fucking asshole that aided in my mother's death.  I am so sickened by what happened I don't even think I can tell the story.  I've basically tried to put it out of my head but just imagine those psycho southern snake bite christians and you'll have 1/10 of what I had to deal with.  I'm so disgruntled with this kind of stupidity that I would gladly wish the worst things imaginable on people like this and am not sure I will be able to hold my anger back the next time I encounter one of this fuck twisted fucks.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 12:50:12 PM »
Oh boy, you have DNA you have infected with your mind virus. I guess it still goes on in the 21st century.  :-\

I have children, whom I intend to raise to have reverence for and to serve the Lord, as is my job as a Christian parent. What they do with that, later on in their lives, is up to them.

I don't know. MCWAY seems like a pretty big dickhead to me.

This is a typical response you get from some atheists, when you can cut through their profane tirades, get to the heart of their claims and statements, and then refute them handily, using facts and good ol' fashioned common sense.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »
I have children, whom I intend to raise to have reverence for and to serve the Lord, as is my job as a Christian parent. What they do with that, later on in their lives, is up to them.

This is a typical response you get from some atheists, when you can cut through their profane tirades, get to the heart of their claims and statements, and then refute them handily, using facts and good ol' fashioned common sense.

Well for their sake, I hope your progeny come to their senses. By the time they are in their thirties and science has made gigantic steps forward, believing the crap that you have forced upon them will be bloody embarassing.
I hate the State.