Author Topic: Is there a single educated Christian on this board?  (Read 3523 times)

MMC78

• Getbig II
Is there a single educated Christian on this board?
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:10:01 PM »

Anyone with a basic working knowledge of history, cosmology and physics?  (Looking everything up on Google doesn't count)

I'm asking because I've seen a lot of posts like this:

Do the planets have a stamp on the that sais "hi, I'm Jupitor and I've been living here for 4.6 billion years''? and do the dinosaure bones have a tag when they get dugged out saying " Im 65 million years old"? and has A Macro-evolution ever been observed? NO NO NO. All you know about a bone buried in the ground is that it was once a life form that died.

Or our perfectly shaped planet magically appeared and all life as we know it began with single celled creature that magically appeared on our perfectly shaped planet.

I must say some of the things you say sound intelligent, but some of the things you say are plain stuped. World not being perfect....huh. If you shrunk the earth to the size of a pool ball, it would be just as round and just as smooth. If the earth was 1 querter of an astronamical mile closer to the sun we would roast, and 1 q further we would freeze.

The first man and women wrote about themselves. This is the most obvious thing to do considering we (nowadays) store information

Better yet, The size of the matter that exploded was smaller the this period.
Isn't that like saying 1 + 1 = 656353537374335755356453 753737345356337655653444 553453

I like rational debates with people, but to engage in discourse with this person would be like trying to explain how a television program to a dog.  That's not entirely fair, this is more of a demonstration at a lack of education than a lack of innate intelligence.  The result however is the same.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: Is there a single educated Christian on this board?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 10:20:52 PM »
Why do you hate the Lord Jesus Christ so much? ???

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:23:51 PM »
Anyone with a basic working knowledge of history, cosmology and physics?  (Looking everything up on Google doesn't count)

I'm asking because I've seen a lot of posts like this:

I like rational debates with people, but to engage in discourse with this person would be like trying to explain how a television program to a dog.  That's not entirely fair, this is more of a demonstration at a lack of education than a lack of innate intelligence.  The result however is the same.

I have been away for a few months and my first day back you and CD82 are writing threads about me, I'm flatered
BTW you are the one posting irrelevent stuff and not debating intelligently. If what I write makes you emotional then log off, you don't see me taking things personal. :-[

MMC78

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:26:48 PM »
I have been away for a few months and my first day back you and CD82 are writing threads about me, I'm flatered
BTW you are the one posting irrelevent stuff and not debating intelligently. If what I write makes you emotional then log off, you don't see me taking things personal. :-[

Don't get me wrong, you're not working me up.  I'm just debating whether or not to engage you in scientific debate.  Its hard to argue a points of science with someone that doesn't have certain fundamental knowledge of science.

Philosophy and scripture are other matters though.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:44:43 AM »
Don't get me wrong, you're not working me up.  I'm just debating whether or not to engage you in scientific debate.  Its hard to argue a points of science with someone that doesn't have certain fundamental knowledge of science.

Philosophy and scripture are other matters though.

None of these fundy clowns has even the most basic understanding of evolution. Most have never attended university, which unfortunately can often times speak volumes. Onetimehard is also the slowest of the lot, based on what I have seen.
I hate the State.

MMC78

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »
Why do you hate the Lord Jesus Christ so much? ???

I think the lord Jesus, if he existed, would want his followers to strive to understand the world around him.

From what I've seen on this board there is an absolute lack of basic scientific knowledge among the faithful (MCWAY is a slight exception).

If the world were in the hands of people like BeachBum, Onetimehard, MCWAY we would still be living in a theocratic dark ages.  We certainly wouldn't be using computers to communicate with each other over great distances.

Are people really this ignorant?  Is it really this fucking bleak? 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
You don't need to think when you got Jesus by your side.

After all, Paul said "If God is for us, who can be against us?" and "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

You don't need to think or learn science or anything. The answers are all in the Bible!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
Good grief.  Some arrogant kids on this board.  Some of you think a little too highly of yourselves.   :)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »
I'm not the one claiming I can dismiss an entire branch of science without having bothered to learn the basics of it, am I?

That's our "OneTimeHard," the greatest scientific innovator since Einstein!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 03:44:56 PM »
A bunch of you guys are incapable of having a discussion without insulting people.  That don't impress me much.   :)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
Whom have I insulted?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »
Whom have I insulted?

Are you kidding?  You created a thread devoted solely to trying to insult someone.  If I had the desire--and I don't--I could probably string together a number of comments you've made, many of them condescending, to people who disagree with you.

You're not the only one, but look I don't intend to turn this into some drawn out discussion.  It's not that important.   

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 04:02:31 PM »
You mean OneTimeHard?

The thread isn't meant to insult him at all. It is meant to call him out on his science claims.

Either his claims are true, or they are false. If they are true, he is the greatest scientific mind alive today. If they are false, then he should stop claiming they are true.

It's that simple! :)

And I don't make condescending comments to people who disagree with me on opinions. I express sadness that people who don't know anything about a certain branch of science think they are qualified to discuss or discredit it.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 06:16:27 PM »

I consider myself to be a Christian although some people might disagree and also consider myself to be educated.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »
I would consider loco educated from what I've seen.

His relationship with the Lord doesn't ring false to me either, is based on faith.

Instead of claiming to have facts or knowledge.
As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 01:06:59 PM »

His relationship with the Lord doesn't ring false to me either, is based on faith.

Thanks Hedgehog!  I appreciate that!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »

Agreed. I think loco, of all the "believers" on here, has the most clear-cut, well-defined ideas about religion.

He freely admits his religiosity is based on faith, but still falls into the trap of treating the Bible as a science book at times (hence his interest in creationism).

On the whole, he is the "fundy nutcase" I most enjoy debating with 8)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 05:48:59 AM »
Agreed. I think loco, of all the "believers" on here, has the most clear-cut, well-defined ideas about religion.

He freely admits his religiosity is based on faith, but still falls into the trap of treating the Bible as a science book at times (hence his interest in creationism).

On the whole, he is the "fundy nutcase" I most enjoy debating with 8)

Thanks, columbusdude82!  But in my personal opinion, the same applies to other believers on here too.

For the record, I don't believe that the Bible is a science book, and I don't believe that the Bible is a history book either.  I do believe that the Bible is the word of God.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 05:52:39 AM »
loco, one thing I've always wondered about calling the Bible the "word of God," you don't really mean God is the "speaker", do you?

As in, when the Bible narrates a story, do you think God is the speaker? When the Bible includes a prayer to God, you think God is talking to himself? When the Bible uses the first person, you think it is God referring to himself?

The Koran, for example, is written in the plural first person (e.g. "We have done this..."  or "We have given you that..."), and Allah is (supposedly ::) ) the speaker there. But the Bible is very different!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 11:01:33 AM »
Who said our planet is perfectly shaped?

It's wider at the equator than it's north to south elliptical.

And aside from it's 23% tilt it's wobbling a few fractions of degrees at 2200 year cycles.   

MMC78

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »
Who said our planet is perfectly shaped?

It's wider at the equator than it's north to south elliptical.

And aside from it's 23% tilt it's wobbling a few fractions of degrees at 2200 year cycles.   

The cool (or perhaps disturbing depending on your perspective) about that wobble (precession) is that the north star won't always indicate true north. 

Fun fact, the south pole doesn't have a celestial object comparable to the north star, but you can find true south by finding the southern cross, taking the bottom and top stars of that cross then moving from the top most star a distance of approximately 4 1/2 times that length.  This points to true south.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 04:31:17 PM »
None of these fundy clowns has even the most basic understanding of evolution. Most have never attended university, which unfortunately can often times speak volumes. Onetimehard is also the slowest of the lot, based on what I have seen.

You can confirm, with certainty, that most of the "fundy clowns" (a category in which I safely say you put me) have never attended university?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »
You can confirm, with certainty, that most of the "fundy clowns" (a category in which I safely say you put me) have never attended university?

why do you avoid debating me on the existence of a god, or supernatural being?

you have yet to respond to three of my posts adressing you.

there is no good reason to think a benevolent god exists.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 07:46:43 PM »

why do you avoid debating me on the existence of a god, or supernatural being?

you have yet to respond to three of my posts adressing you.

there is no good reason to think a benevolent god exists.

I've avoided nothing from you. What you've done, to date, is go on emotional rants, claiming that, because there is evil in this world (i.e. children dying), there is no God. Or, people have no free will, because (perish the thought) they may actually be held responsible for their actions, one way or the other.

Then, there's your continued erroneous claims that because man has (finally) discovered certain scientific principles and, as a result, been able to manipulate them (to a degree) to achiever certain tasks, that man has somehow put God out of existence. Of course, you've yet to explain how those processes and those resources came to be, as man CANNOT create them.

As for your "no good reason......", spiel, that is but an opinion with which I (and a myriad of Christians) do not agree.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 07:56:46 PM »
I think the lord Jesus, if he existed, would want his followers to strive to understand the world around him.

From what I've seen on this board there is an absolute lack of basic scientific knowledge among the faithful (MCWAY is a slight exception).

If the world were in the hands of people like BeachBum, Onetimehard, MCWAY we would still be living in a theocratic dark ages.  We certainly wouldn't be using computers to communicate with each other over great distances.

Says who? Or have you forgotten of the many men of science who were believers in God? Why is it that, when the printing press (with movable type) came to be, the Bible was among the first reproduced, and it was among the most-reproduced works of that time?

Then, there are biological advances by men like Louis Pasteur, who not only helped cured some of the deadliest diseases known to man but skewered one of the biggest tenets of evolution (spontaneous generation).

Are people really this ignorant?  Is it really this fucking bleak? 

Loco has, on multiple occasions, provided the lists of scientific fathers of the Western world, who were Christians, and DID NOT subscribe to the theory of evolution (pre or post-Darwin).

That leads me to my point. The idea that a belief in evolution is necessary for scientific advancement is ridiculous and patently false. It wasn't needed then and it ain't needed now.