Author Topic: GPP help  (Read 3098 times)

TopTraining

• Getbig II
GPP help
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:22:10 AM »
I train mostly in a commercial gym, it's well equipped for most things.
However I can't figure out a smart way to train GPP focusing on Hams/glutes resistance training as there is no sled there, and I really doubt if they will get one for me to drag.
Anyone have any smart ways to train this with "normal" Gym equpment. ? The gym I go to for PL is a long drive away, and I don't have the time to drive out more than once a week.

Or am I forced to buy a tire and go out in the cold and drag that..  :-\

Bodvar

• Getbig II
Re: GPP help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »
Swimming is pretty good GPP if you have access to a pool.

You could do drills in your back yard, or in a park or something.

Walking is also very underestimated, a brisk walk will keep you healthy and aid in recovery.

Even doing some work around the house will help, basically just do something other than sitting on your ass watching TV, and your GPP will go up.

Just don't overdo it, if you kill yourself doing GPP work your regular training will suffer. Don't underestimate the value of rest.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:03:33 PM »
I train mostly in a commercial gym, it's well equipped for most things.
However I can't figure out a smart way to train GPP focusing on Hams/glutes resistance training as there is no sled there, and I really doubt if they will get one for me to drag.
Anyone have any smart ways to train this with "normal" Gym equpment. ? The gym I go to for PL is a long drive away, and I don't have the time to drive out more than once a week.

Or am I forced to buy a tire and go out in the cold and drag that..  :-\

First off, don't buy a tire.  You can find old car, truck, or other tires pretty easy.  Fill them with concrete or keep the wheel in it and stack concrete blocks on it.  Thats what I did for the first year and a half after I decided sled dragging was something useful.   Personally, now I think pushing something--like a Prowler is easier on my lowerback and hip joints with a better workout, but thats me. 

Alternates if you don't have room/space/etc:  hill walking----find a long one and do 50-100 yard sprints/fast walking wearing a weight vest (or holding a concrete bag like I did), climbing stairs, walking on a treadmill with a weight vest, kettlebell work, sledgehammer work--these both get me in the lower back/hamstrings. 

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:12:24 PM »
GPP is very important. Mine was going down as I got stuck in the house too. I have subbed out tires and sleds for walking for now.

Walking is perfect for GPP. Find hills, use extra weight, but most of all just feel rejuvinated from it. Not worn out.

In the gym you can grap a fixed barbell like they use for curls. Just set it on the floor, grab one end of the weight and drag the other. This will work with a regular bar too just make sure you have a GOOD clamp for it.

You can also use those "blast straps" if your gym has them and just hook them to a plate and use it like a sled.

Using a low cable like a sled works to. You will only get a couple steps out before it hits the top but then back up with the same form you walked out with. Its very different, as if you are pulling the sled and then it pulls you back.

Grab a plate and hit the treadmill. Front carry it, hold one in each hand, whatever. Good for stair master too but watch yourself.

Crab walk, bear walk, or whatever you can figure out is all good stuff. Just remember this is for recovery and increased work capacity, not to max out.

Hope this helps!

TopTraining

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 02:21:44 AM »
Some good advice here guys! I will definatally try your advice out , to see what works best for me  :)
Wasn't thinking of going 100% no  ;) , Probably going to do some GPP after weight training, as I only have 1 rest day, and I really need that day to be 100% work free .

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
Im getting into the KB's/sled stuff for GPP/restoration.  Hope you like it.

Jason

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »

Jason

I have been playing around with kettlebells.  They are great.   

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:27:01 AM »
i feel stupid..

what's GPP

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »
i feel stupid..

what's GPP

General Physical Preparedness.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »
i feel stupid..

what's GPP

or...being in general shape.  There is also SPP...but you will read about it much less.

Jason

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »
i feel stupid..

what's GPP

I googled it.   ;D

:)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 02:32:47 PM »
oh.

TopTraining

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 04:46:34 AM »

Jason

Yeah I hope this will give me an extra boost , not only in strenght but in general .  :)
Good luck with your progress.  8)