Author Topic: How did Lee Haney won 8 Olympia titles ?!  (Read 26842 times)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
Re: How did Lee Haney won 8 Olympia titles ?!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 09:22:29 PM »
You're using modern criteria to judge a guy from a totally different era. Yes, his arms were reasonably small - so were Dorian's compared to his torso.

very true.

Haney was good - not crazy outstanding like 98/9 Ronnie, 94/6 Ray, 93 Flex etc. but he was better than his main competition of Flea Labrada and Gaspari.
Flower Boy Ran Away

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 09:25:33 PM »
very true.

Haney was good - not crazy outstanding like 98/9 Ronnie, 94/6 Ray, 93 Flex etc. but he was better than his main competition of Flea Labrada and Gaspari.

I agree but these would have all been using GH by then wouldn't they (not sure if Flex was in 93) ?

Gaspari was a hell of dedicated trainer.
O

Stavios

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 09:27:17 PM »
I agree but these would have all been using GH by then wouldn't they (not sure if Flex was in 93) ?

Gaspari was a hell of dedicated trainer.

Gh15 said GH was around in the 80'S

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 09:30:14 PM »

Oh right. I always thought it was early 90s. I freely admit that my knowledge of the drugs is very limited.
O

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 09:31:56 PM »
When did the big guts come onto the scene? Mid 90's so must be the slin. Either way load Haney with GH and slin and he would still have a tiny waste compared to the fridge or coleman

Stavios

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »
When did the big guts come onto the scene? Mid 90's so must be the slin. Either way load Haney with GH and slin and he would still have a tiny waste compared to the fridge or coleman

maybe not man, Coleman had a fucking tiny waist too in the good old days

maybe Haney would have had a monster gut.

also, I am 100% sure that GH is not what causes the guts

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 09:36:03 PM »
Bodybuilders of the past decade are much, much more massive than ever before. It's unreasonable to think that the stomachs/waists would stay the same size. Combine that with the GH/Slin combo and boom,...guts. Also, does anyone else question Haney's weight claims? He claimed 250lbs in 1991, looks more like 225  ??? legs were SMALL
Team Yates

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »

You think it's all insulin?
O

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »
maybe not man, Coleman had a fucking tiny waist too in the good old days

maybe Haney would have had a monster gut.

I agree. The answer lies in the drugs Ronnie took the year before his first Mr. O title

Stavios

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 09:38:19 PM »
You think it's all insulin?

yes I think Insulin is the main reasons

I know a lot of competitors who use GH, up to 10 IU a day and they don't have a gut at all

they pretty much all use insulin too, so maybe it's a combo of both in very high doses

hard to say ! but HGH alone does not cause the guts

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »
I can definitely see it being a combo but I think that GH must be a factor as it is shown to grow all human tissue - hair, organs, bone etc - and it just so happens that in that particular area is all this:

O

Stavios

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »
hey look at this guy

wasn't he from the 80's too ?

he looks a lot better than Haney in my book, much more complete and freaky

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
he lets it down with the splits shot.

And on a more serious note..it's like Dorian and Ronnie: from the back they blow everyone away
O

AVBG

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 09:58:03 PM »
Lee Haney was untouchable in his era and Phil Hill was narrow shouldered with a bad attitude.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »
He's the antithesis of Haney in that he has narrow shoulders, a small chest, no back and huge quads and arms.

O

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »
i wish bodybuilding was still in the hainy days,,,it was attractive and many saw it in good way ,,,many people truly believed it was all hard work even though it was lotds of homrones,,but today you just see someone and you start laughin or smiling because you know its all drugs and we always look 10 years older atleast,,

bodybuilding since the mid 90s is really not body building but more of body  destruction,,im talking top level here ,,gym rats are still having the 80s physiqes so its ok,,this is also why many hate us bodybuilders today because they are bodybuilders ,,they use drugs but they also have limits! but the bodybuilders they dont like usually swim in drugs to a point they cant function whatsoever with out them,,most top competetive are like that ,,they swim in drugs now days to a point they wont be able to function when they go off and thats why they shrink to unbelivable proportions,,

you neevr seen ray shrink like that when he was competetive,,,you never seen heny shrink like that ,,,or labrada,,guys today are simply drug addicts   ,,4 -5 injects daily sometimes,,hand full of pills morning and then hand full of pills noon and then hand full of pills afternoon and then hand full of pills before bed,,then the insulin which is a whole diff protocol ,,simply drug addicts,,then duretics whenever they hold too much water even off season so they can mantain the paper skin look,,simply  drug addicts 24/7 all year long,,,aometimes on vacation only 250-500mg used + gh + insulin thats natural times though ,,about few weeks out of the year
fallen angel

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »
I was Haney's last Olympia, I had been at the NOC earlier in the year when Dorian beat Sonny and the year before (I was the mc) when Momo won. I really thought that Yates would push Haney all the way. Yates probably over dieted a bit that year but I was thinking that the back shots would sort them out. Surprisingly it was the quarter turn to the side that sorted them. Haney was so thick. I had not realized until I saw him live just how thick he was through the chest. That is when the show was won.

I was also at the next Olympia when Yates won. I think he would have probably beaten Haney if Haney had competed. He had raised the bar again .... but that is another story..

bizzy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 10:23:24 PM »
Haney is definitely not the most impressive Mr. O, but the reason he won 8 was because he was the best for all those years.  The genetics of the 80s bodybuilders was the worst imo, he didnt have much competition

My Dad who knows nothing about bodybuilding was watching the top 6 of the 1985 or 86
Olympia with me as he was passing by the TV. He said.. "The big black guy is easily the winner."
He was so far ahead of anyone until 1989 when he came in a little off and Lee Labrada was near perfect.
A good big man will beat a good smaller man and that was the case in 1989.
I think Labrada should have beat Haney in 1990 because of the drug testing.
Labrada was about 90% where Haney looked like he had lost 15-20 pounds of muscle
and probably was about 75% of his best.
There was nobody during that time that could come close to his height, structure and muscle
combination until Yates gave him a run in 91.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 10:26:02 PM »
he deserved his wins but the competition was weak in the 80's

only one comparable was bob paris imo

E
E

Sharma

• Getbig IV
  • TEAMNASSER4LIFE
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 10:30:04 PM »
I don't think Yates would ever beat Haney unless he got another of his Weider gifts that took Nasser's 2 Olympias from him. A former racist criminal with a huge gut and tiny arms, no way imo.

Lamplighterx

• Getbig III
  • I support the Wizard of Truth
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »
I don't think Yates would ever beat Haney unless he got another of his Weider gifts that took Nasser's 2 Olympias from him. A former racist criminal with a huge gut and tiny arms, no way imo.
quoted for truth
Proud to be a member of Team Nasser

FullROM

• Getbig III
  • GetBig
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2008, 01:13:16 AM »
He competed in the days when mass wasn't everything. Epic quality in his physique.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2008, 01:38:29 AM »
Haney was the dominant mass monster in the mid eighties to early 90s (1991, to be exact). He had a back that set him apart from the rest, just like Dorian. And like Dorian, even though he had relatively weak arms, his torso and muscularity put him ahead of everyone. Flea Labrada looked great by himself, but got out-muscled big time next to Haney. Rich Gaspari's conditioning was always spot on, but he didn't have the overall look and flow of Haney's physique.

Bertil fox was up there, but couldn't nail his conditioning. Berry De Mey wasn't big enough to knock Haney off and Gary Strydom didn't have a back (like Nasser) that could  de-throne Haney. So Haney just had the right combination at the right time. And he was pretty young when he stopped competing - 32, which goes to show that he could have upped the dosage to the 90s standards and continued to get bigger.

But he'd won 8 Olympias by then and I personally don't think he could have beaten Dorian after 1992.

Spoony Luv

• Getbig IV
  • FROM UP ABOVE!!!
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2008, 01:43:12 AM »
non of the guys were massive compared to today's standards...But when Lee turned around, it was obvious that he was that much better then anyone else that stepped on stage...

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2008, 02:07:44 AM »
I think Lee looked incredible and his best in 1991 and deservingly beat Yates.  I would've really liked to see Haney '91 Vs. Yates '93!