Author Topic: Gay Marriage Ban Makes Florida Ballot  (Read 7562 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Gay Marriage Ban Makes Florida Ballot
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »
"Pre-occupied" and "distracted" from what? This may come as a surprise to you. But, people can actually vote on multiple issues, come election day. It took all of FIVE MINUTES for me to download the form and sign it (and that's because my computer's slow). Heck, I left the thing on my desk for nearly a week, before I actually mailed it. I don't that took a huge chunk out of my life.

If "most people don't care", then "most people" won't vote on the matter (or will simply put "Yes" or "No" just to fill in the space) and move forward to their issue of choice.

Again, this idea by some that those who vote on this issue do so, at the expense of other issues, is just silly.

yeah I'm spending hours weighing the pro's and con's of the 4 indian gaming initiatives on the ballot

it takes very few people to get an initiave on the ballot

money helps

dude, the threat from gay marriage is a clear and present danger

seriously

no joke

forget what I said before

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
No mob rule? Bah, why do you have people trying to teach Creationism as science in Kansas classrooms?

First of all, get your story straight. There is no teaching Creationism as science. The idea is to present two ideas as to the ORIGIN of life on this planet. Show the evidence, supporting both, and let the kids make an educated decision as to which is more sound for themselves.

That's the old "critical thinking" stuff, which atheists seem to think is used solely when people reject their religious belief.

Back to the issue at hand, we don't have mob rule or snob rule, especially when it comes to the latter. Our system is designed so that a bunch of stuck-up elitist and "enlightened" folks don't dictate policy to us, without our say-so. The system is far from perfect (Massachusetts is a prime example of that).

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »
That's why we have this thing called DEMOCRACY, where more people than just the two of you (and like-minded folk) can decide what is or isn't necessary or outdated.

If it bugs you that much, you can join Trapezkerl and crusade to get a ban on marriage put on the ballot of the state in which you reside (assuming you live in the USA).

Dont' get your underware in a bunch. I'm not enforcing my beliefs on anyone, just expressing an opinion.

I don't go out of my way to ban things I disagree with if they don't hurt me or anyone else and  I don't get why people get all bent out of shape about gays wanting to get married. It's rediculous.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »
yeah I'm spending hours weighing the pro's and con's of the 4 indian gaming initiatives on the ballot

it takes very few people to get an initiave on the ballot

money helps

dude, the threat from gay marriage is a clear and present danger

seriously

no joke

forget what I said before

Whether you think there's a "clear and present danger" or not has no bearing on the issue. You can vote on it or skip it. Doing the former doesn't mean that particular issue is the dominant focus of your life or voting priorities.

Plenty of people don't make minimum wages. That doesn't mean that their voting on minimum wages law equates to that law being their sole (or major) focus in their political spectrum.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2008, 10:32:20 PM »

Dont' get your underware in a bunch. I'm not enforcing my beliefs on anyone, just expressing an opinion.

I don't go out of my way to ban things I disagree with if they don't hurt me or anyone else and  I don't get why people get all bent out of shape about gays wanting to get married. It's rediculous.

And, I don't get why people get all bent out of shape about those who want to vote on marriage amendments.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2008, 10:37:47 PM »
First of all, get your story straight. There is no teaching Creationism as science. The idea is to present two ideas as to the ORIGIN of life on this planet. Show the evidence, supporting both, and let the kids make an educated decision as to which is more sound for themselves.

That's the old "critical thinking" stuff, which atheists seem to think is used solely when people reject their religious belief.

Back to the issue at hand, we don't have mob rule or snob rule, especially when it comes to the latter. Our system is designed so that a bunch of stuck-up elitist and "enlightened" folks don't dictate policy to us, without our say-so. The system is far from perfect (Massachusetts is a prime example of that).

please try to understand

I have no problem with reliigious belief in general

I care more about the actions people take based on their beliefs

most actions don't really bother me that much or have any impact on freedom to conduct my life

about gays - I say most people don't really care

regarding creationism, I have no problem teaching that in school along side all the other creation myths of all the religions we can find.  We can even call this a class about  religion

and then we can teach our, as of yet, best science in science class

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2008, 10:41:19 PM »
And, I don't get why people get all bent out of shape about those who want to vote on marriage amendments.

What a waste of energy, trying to exclude a group from being able to legally marry each other of all things.  ::)Your priorities are fucked up my friend but thats ok, cause in a great America we must be tolerant of stupid people as well.

Is the next "priority" trying to  stop women from wearing pants?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2008, 10:48:39 PM »
What a waste of energy, trying to exclude a group from being able to legally marry each other of all things.  ::)Your priorities are fucked up my friend but thats ok, cause in a great America we must be tolerant of stupid people as well.

Is the next "priority" trying to  stop women from wearing pants?

Congress and Bill Clinton believed it was important to preserve traditional marriage.  The Defense of Marriage bill was "passed by Congress by a vote of 85-14 in the Senate and a vote of 342-67" and then signed by Clinton.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act

Numerous other amendments have passed in states all across the country by comfortable margins.  Preserving traditional marriage is clearly something the majority of the country wants to do. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2008, 10:50:34 PM »
Yep, like two big rocks, smashing together 5-billion years ago, making a pile of goo, that acidentally and randomly turned into this critter, which acidentally/randomly turned into that critter, etc., etc., etc.......until, somehow, someway (with no divine guidance or direction, of course), we get....MAN!!!

Evolution is not random. If you understood it you wouldn't be making these ignorant statements.
I hate the State.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »
Congress and Bill Clinton believed it was important to preserve traditional marriage.  The Defense of Marriage bill was "passed by Congress by a vote of 85-14 in the Senate and a vote of 342-67" and then signed by Clinton.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act

Numerous other amendments have passed in states all across the country by comfortable margins.  Preserving traditional marriage is clearly something the majority of the country wants to do. 

I have to agree... While I think it's silly and may one day be seen similarly to how states passed segregation laws in the middle part of the 20th century, I do have to say that currently the majority of voters do not want, for whatever reason, gay marriages.

Whether or not it truly affects them is not the issue.

The issue is that issues in this country are decide (or rather should be decided) by a majority rules vote.

That is simply how the democratic process works... We are the minority and until that changes, the majority will get their way.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
sorry I forgot

what am I supposed to be afraid about if gay people can get married?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »
sorry I forgot

what am I supposed to be afraid about if gay people can get married?

:o

SIN
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2008, 11:00:34 PM »
I have to agree... While I think it's silly and may one day be seen similarly to how states passed segregation laws in the middle part of the 20th century, I do have to say that currently the majority of voters do not want, for whatever reason, gay marriages.

The issue is that issues in this country are decide (or rather should be decided) by a majority rules vote.

That is simply how the democratic process works... We are the minority and until that changes, the majority will get their way.

Yes.  Well said.  I actually think that the tide will probably turn one day and that it's only a matter of time before we have homosexual marriage.  But that decision is up to the people, who should decide the issue at the ballot box.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2008, 11:04:34 PM »
Yes.  Well said.  I actually think that the tide will probably turn one day and that it's only a matter of time before we have homosexual marriage.  But that decision is up to the people, who should decide the issue at the ballot box.  

hey bum, what do you think might happen if the tide turns?

my guess would be absolutely nothing

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2008, 11:08:46 PM »
hey bum, what do you think might happen if the tide turns?

my guess would be absolutely nothing

I think that similarly to segregation... it will one day change and homosexuality will be deemed as normal as any other thing, and marriages in this country will be allowed for all.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2008, 11:13:16 PM »
I think that similarly to segregation... it will one day change and homosexuality will be deemed as normal as any other thing, and marriages in this country will be allowed for all.

think of how this could stimulate the economy

half of all marriages end in failure

this could be a boon to divorce lawyers and in extension the overall economy

shit, I think we could even afford another tax cut

come on

don't you love money more than you hate gays

think about it

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »
think of how this could stimulate the economy

half of all marriages end in failure

this could be a boon to divorce lawyers and in extension the overall economy

shit, I think we could even afford another tax cut

come on

don't you love money more than you hate gays

think about it

I don't hate gays at all... As I said previously, I think it's silly.

I have no problem with homosexuality or homosexuals getting married at all.

I too have said it would be good for the government coffers. Marriage Licenses, divorces, the whole bit... it's a win / win.

I've also said previously that I think every gay man should have an opportunity to be as miserable as I was.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2008, 11:22:45 PM »
I don't hate gays at all... As I said previously, I think it's silly.

I have no problem with homosexuality or homosexuals getting married at all.

I too have said it would be good for the government coffers. Marriage Licenses, divorces, the whole bit... it's a win / win.

I've also said previously that I think every gay man should have an opportunity to be as miserable as I was.

sorry, I wasn't trying to give you shit

I dont hate gays and I like money so by default I love money more than I hate gays

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2008, 02:11:39 AM »
What about a man marrying a sheep?
I hate the State.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2008, 02:12:58 AM »
What about a man marrying a sheep?

That's a straw man question.

Sheep have no ability to communicate a desire, nor do they understand human wants or needs.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2008, 02:20:19 AM »
That's a straw man question.

Sheep have no ability to communicate a desire, nor do they understand human wants or needs.

No straw man question. In some cultures people marry dogs and other animals...

Ever been to New Zealand?  ;D
I hate the State.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2008, 02:21:02 AM »
No straw man question. In some cultures people marry dogs and other animals...

Ever been to New Zealand?  ;D

I have never had the pleasure... No.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2008, 03:00:17 AM »
I have never had the pleasure... No.

What about 1st cousin marriages?
I hate the State.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2008, 03:11:27 AM »
What about 1st cousin marriages?

Again, I'm afraid I have to say no... My family tree does in fact fork.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2008, 03:17:43 AM »

But where the fuck does it end? 

lets put on a ballot all disabled people should be killed
to conserve energy only one car per household
only 2 kids per family
lights out after 10:00pm

We have seriously got to stop this shit.

Yeah we have more freedom than a lot of nations but that is deteriorating quickly.  What happened to people banding together to fight this nonsense like they did in the late 60's?

I wish this country was divided into at the very least 2 groups.  Maybe even more. Left on the West Coast and Right on East.  That would be a good start.

This democratic process bullshit is a joke.  I don't recall citizens having a vote to go to war.  Or a vote to increase the elected govt officials raises.  They pick and chose what warrants a vote.  Oh yeah and if it fails the first time...well fuck it...then lets put it on a ballot again.  ::)